Looking for feedback on my first steps in tactic building

Every year I find myself downloading tactics and not finding any enjoyment in playing the game after results get to unrealistic or after realizing that my achievements aren't really my own achievements.

Now and then I try to create an own tactic, but I don't put in the effort needed and find myself going back to a download tactic... which after a while bores me again... a vicious circle...

Now FM21 is different, I have created something that works well for me, and that plays out the way I want, it seems for the first time I'm being rewarded for thinking things through and making logical decisions.

The way I like to play my team:

• Positive football - thinking forward
  • pressure on the opponents when we loose the ball
  • quickly attack when we have the ball Edit: I've gone for a more patient, less direct approach now, to lose less possesion - see my next post
  • Even with point one (positive football) in mind, I try and keep it tight at the back, 2-0 is better for me than 4-2
  • I like my striker to be the main goal scorer... don't ask me why... I find it more satisfying than an IF being the top goal scorer ;)

I had success with Liverpool (offcourse... but for me not evident) and was happy with goals for, against and total points.
I also overachieved with OHL, predicted second half of the table in Belgian first division and competed for Top 4 spot all season

Now you might ask why I've come here when my tactic works, gives me good results and plays out like I want...
But since I'm fairly new to this tactic creation, I wanted to check if there are still glaring mistakes in how I've set things up, or low hanging fruits on where I can improve...
this to even better understand and get familiar with tactic building... 

and offcourse, there is always room for improvement and new insights

•  I tried it a long time with Wingbacks instead of fullbacks, but it didn't improve my offense, and maybe like I could've expected it weakened my defense because I conceded more, so I went back to Fullbacks.
  • I went for the "low crosses" TI because my strikers are not necesairly the best in the air.
  • For a long time I had BBM (s) paired with DLP (s) and it was succesful on FM21, but when I did "regression testing" on FM20 & FM19 it struggled a bit away. Now with the BWM (d) & DLP (s) I seem to fare well on all three of the last editions

Edit: this tactic is no longer the one I use: see post #3 to see my latest - extra TI's were added to match my new playing style where I go for a bit more patient and less direct approach

DaveX4231 tactic BWM.png

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

Yeah looks good, if it's winning you games & you're enjoying the football stick with

I like the FB(S)'s, every system you normally see has at least one full back flying forward 

Edited by Johnny Ace

I found out with other teams (that have less quality than Liverpool, but were also favorites in their own league, like Bruges in Belgium) that I lost possesion a bit to easily (because of to many long balls). I also  struggled in away games or in playoffs against good teams .
I also saw that we rushed things to much, that it would be good to built a bit longer and more patient for more quality chances.

I've added quite a few TI's (still no PI's used) and I improved my performance a lot, and went back to my liverpool save and it was as succesful there as well.

• Added Shorter passing to avoid alwasys going for the more direct option
  • Added play out of defence, my teams are good enough compared to league difference that we can built from the back and don't need to rush with long ball clearances
  • Added work the ball in the box, I doubted about this one and don't see that much difference with or without, although I have my striker score more when it's on, because it seems that when my team is waiting more for a good opportunity, it's mostly the striker that gets it... and as one of my main focus points in the OP says, I like to go for the option where my striker is the main goal scorer
  • Added run at the defence. Because my DL & LOE are not so close to eachother, and I don't like the long ball pass, together with shorter passing, I also like that my players dribble a bit more to gain ground, instead of again, looking for that long pass. (so they can go for short pass, or for the dribble)
  • Distribute to fullbacks, as again this minimizes the long ball's and goes well with my built from the back, "play out of defence" kind of style I'm implementing now.

The only thing that I'm having difficulty over now is, can I leave "Counter TI" on and should I remove "my pass into space"? it works well for now but I don't think it's logical, as I've built in more patience in my playing style...

• My team can offcourse go for the quick break when an opportunity arises, but I don't know if I really need the Counter TI for this...
  • The pass into space was originally added to have more throughballs/fast breaks with my striker... I still like this, but I dont' know if it's correct use of the TI

image.png

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

• DavyDepuydt1 changed the title to Looking for feedback on my first steps in tactic building

You're on the right track

Two BPDs might be looking for too many Hollywood passes so keep your eye on those pair

Do you not get a disconnect in midfield? Two static CM's with an AMC that will get into the box or does the IW cover it well enough?

4 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

You're on the right track

Two BPDs might be looking for too many Hollywood passes so keep your eye on those pair

Do you not get a disconnect in midfield? Two static CM's with an AMC that will get into the box or does the IW cover it well enough?

The midfield does not feel disconnect but it leaves a lot of responsibility to the DLP, but he easily finds passing targets in the IW, the AM & the W.
The support from the two fullbacks is also good enough to have enough numbers in the midfield connecting with the IW & W.

In the meanwhile I've tested a bit with removing the two TI's I'm having doubts about, but removing counter & pass into space is making me draw a bit more, so I'm still investigating why and if I need those TI's any longer....

And about the two BPD's, I don't have the feeling they try even a lot of those passes, that's why I've put both on them on BPD to "force" have some extra from the defenders.
I'm going to see if I see a lot of difference with changing one (or both to enlarge the effect and see it a bit faster) to Central defender.

I would prefer one of your FB's being a bit more adventurous. The left back would back sense as you have a CM to cover him and he would be overlapping the IW.