I sign most players every time, unless they are both horribly rated by the coaches, the attributes are very poor, and have a poor personality. If they fit that horror trifecta, then I don't sign them. Otherwise, I will keep them. Even if they are rated as low as 2 stars, they can become great players if they have the right development (and often personality).

32 minutes ago, XaW said:

I sign most players every time, unless they are both horribly rated by the coaches, the attributes are very poor, and have a poor personality. If they fit that horror trifecta, then I don't sign them. Otherwise, I will keep them. Even if they are rated as low as 2 stars, they can become great players if they have the right development (and often personality).

Thanks that was my view too.

Out of my regular intake of 16, I will usually sign 8 or 9- poor coach report, personality and determination will usually mean they wont be signed.

10 hours ago, XaW said:

This. But I also have slightly different strategy. I sign everyone promising on Professional contract while other get classic youth contract. If they look like they can develop more by the time they can sign professional contract I give them one. Otherwise I usually keep them until their youth contract expires. I don't know how it's in higher reputation clubs but at mine it's like 40 pounds/week so it's really like nothing. Yet their PA rating can change throughout the time. I got player who was at first rated like 3 stars PA and after like 2 years he was rated 4. It's quite impressive if you take into account that my club's reputation grew which should even lower his rating.

I used to throw the bad ones from the rock immediately but now I'm more like giving helping hand to my kids. If they cannot deliver by the age of ~20 then bon voyage.

If a player has a low (sub 8) determination and work rate, poor personality or attributes for their role like if a defender has 3 tackling, then I don't offer them a contract.

9 hours ago, Grifty said:

attributes for their role like if a defender has 3 tackling

You can always retrain player for other position especially youngsters. I never treat their natural positions as something obligatory. When attributes are good you can change players position to any other of your choice. Many CB's have good attributes to be strikers (good physicals, anticipation, decisions, heading).

15 hours ago, Orion_ said:

You can always retrain player for other position especially youngsters. I never treat their natural positions as something obligatory. When attributes are good you can change players position to any other of your choice. Many CB's have good attributes to be strikers (good physicals, anticipation, decisions, heading).

too true. i have half my youngsters in selected position training. i love those paul warhust/phil neville characters who quickly learn every position i throw them in! 

On 06/03/2021 at 02:11, wazzaflow10 said:

Is there any reason to not sign everyone on the list? I understand players that have silver stars or really really poor mentality but other than that?

They may take up positions in your U18 first team, obstructing playing time for other, more talented players. This is particularly true if a future-less youngster is on his last year of youth contract and some 15 years old guy with potential comes in, but his position is taken.

On 08/03/2021 at 03:37, nully29 said:

They may take up positions in your U18 first team, obstructing playing time for other, more talented players. This is particularly true if a future-less youngster is on his last year of youth contract and some 15 years old guy with potential comes in, but his position is taken.

If I'm not mistaken I was under the impression that for players under 18 games are significantly less important that training time. While a poor 17/18 year old may be taking a spot in a squad for a more talented 15/16 year old I'm not sure that would affect their development that significantly.

Games are less important at younger ages, but game time at an appropriate level is still helpful to development. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a distinction between involved in match-day squad and not players for training. So if he's not involved in the U18 games then he's likely getting 3 days of that week in which the training schedule is reduced account for the day before, the day of and day after the game. 

Generally it is advisable to sign more players from the intake but you need to be keeping an eye on it and potentially cutting loose those who aren't developing. 

My youth intake has been pretty miserable the last seasons even though I have state of the art facilities and exceptional junior coaching and youth recruitment at Nottingham Forrest. 

I would imagine that Mauro is up for the job as he has good stats and is professional. Can he really be part of the problem and should I sign Garrone instead and let him have a chance?  Or is it just bad luck getting bad youth intakes for a couple of years even if you have everything in place?

753501898_ScreenShot2021-03-13at3_15_59PM.thumb.png.d232f2fda8b2cb3e041e57b68ae9648e.png753501898_ScreenShot2021-03-13at3_15_59PM.thumb.png.d232f2fda8b2cb3e041e57b68ae9648e.png

1585357239_ScreenShot2021-03-13at3_16_14PM.thumb.png.58e0c78b1c6c55590895bdc0835d458c.png

35 minutes ago, coppicat said:

My youth intake has been pretty miserable the last seasons even though I have state of the art facilities and exceptional junior coaching and youth recruitment at Nottingham Forrest. 

I would imagine that Mauro is up for the job as he has good stats and is professional. Can he really be part of the problem and should I sign Garrone instead and let him have a chance?  Or is it just bad luck getting bad youth intakes for a couple of years even if you have everything in place?

753501898_ScreenShot2021-03-13at3_15_59PM.thumb.png.d232f2fda8b2cb3e041e57b68ae9648e.png753501898_ScreenShot2021-03-13at3_15_59PM.thumb.png.d232f2fda8b2cb3e041e57b68ae9648e.png

1585357239_ScreenShot2021-03-13at3_16_14PM.thumb.png.58e0c78b1c6c55590895bdc0835d458c.png

Looking at the staff you're signing,  I imagine you're at a really high level in terms of your squads ability? It will likely mean you rarely get players rated more than 3 star,  possibly 4, as these would still be potentially world class players.  With Farnborough on FM19 in the last season I played having won multiple Premier league titles and having great facilities my intakes still looked rubbish so I checked the hidden CA and PA figures.  

The two 4 star (3 gold) players had potential of around 150 while the five 3 star (2 gold) players had potential around 135. All of those should end up playing Premier league football to a high standard, just possibly not as high a standard as I was looking for. 

In 8 years of top flight football I produced three players with potential 160+ which is again probably about right.  How many current top teams have more academy graduates at that level playing at once? 

I also played a youth only save with Bari and in 11 years produced many Serie A level players.  My best players often had ability way below what I'd normally consider viable for the level and that's probably due to their attributes and personality allowing them to maximise their effectiveness. I think the problem sometimes is we can stock our youth teams with 5 star potential players we've bought in from all over the world and it becomes about their potential ability and not how well they're actually suited to roles and positions. Therefore our own youth look inadequate by comparison.   That may just be me though! I now try to sign anyone 3 star and above from my intakes and any decent personality players below this level and give them time to develop.  

Edited by Jtomsett11

Coaches have a sweet spot whereby if you go over the number of players they're coaching, their workload gets heavier, so just make sure the number of youths you've retained doesn't tip the balance.

7 hours ago, coppicat said:

HOYD doesn't impact in the quality of the players brought, it does modify their personality and the type of players that come through, i.e. Technical / Physical... etc.

Youth Recruitment, Prestige, Youth Coaching do impact the quality of players brought along.

If your team is full of Superstars, you won't be getting 5 star batches of players year in and year out as Superstars should be rare.