The FM 2021 AMC thread

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been favouring a PF-AT/SS-AT pairing on my 4-4-1-1.

I experimented with AF/AM and PF/AM, but the first one is too split into creator/scorer and puts a lot of burden on the AF, and the second one does not have a player more focused in scoring goals, which puts a lot of burden on set pieces and long range shots. I also prefer more complete men at front (collaborate on buildup, passing and not just finishing, for example), so although not perfect the PF/SS have been the best alternative.

I experimented all these combinations and in general all of them have worked well, until now we scored 20 goals and suffered 7 at National League.

image.png.8a539d3a0298259b375ff2c34e536ecb.png

Edited by Tsuru

2 minutes ago, Tsuru said:

I experimented with AF/AM and PF/AM, but the first one is too split into creator/scorer and puts a lot of burden on the AF, and the second one does not have a player more focused in scoring goals, which puts a lot of burden on set pieces and long range shots. I prefer more complete men at front, so although not perfect the PF/SS have been the best alternative.

Until now we scored 20 goals and suffered 7 at National League, so I think it has been a good starting point.

Interesting lineup, I like it!! How's your SS doing? I bet they're not easy to find in the NL 

6 minutos atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

Interesting lineup, I like it!! How's your SS doing? I bet they're not easy to find in the NL 

I kind of love it too, hahaha. For you to have an idea I used some other lineups, including the classic one with CM-D/BBM-S at the middle, the fullback more adventurous on the CM-D side and more conservative on the BBM one. But no one has worked well as this one until now.

My SS is Oliver Cooper from Swansea, he has been very random despite the role. Even playing as an AM he has some brilliant games and others in which he does not play well. But at least he has been opening space for the STs to score, which is something very nice. I think it is the quality of the player but not just it, all central attacking midfielder roles are very demanding and very rarely the players play always well.

I am also preparing a youngster to be our SS in the future, he has nice attributes and time to develop, so I think we are safe on that for some time.

Edited by Tsuru

14 minutes ago, Tsuru said:

I experimented with AF/AM and PF/AM, but the first one is too split into creator/scorer and puts a lot of burden on the AF, and the second one does not have a player more focused in scoring goals, which puts a lot of burden on set pieces and long range shots. I also prefer more complete men at front (collaborate on buildup, passing and not just finishing, for example), so although not perfect the PF/SS have been the best alternative.

I experimented all these combinations and in general all of them have worked well, until now we scored 20 goals and suffered 7 at National League.

image.png.8a539d3a0298259b375ff2c34e536ecb.png

I've been playing various combinations of the 4231 for the past 6 seasons and although I've won the league 6 times consecutively, I won the last 2 on goal difference and it has been a disaster in the Champions League for my polish side so towards the end of this season I started playing a 442 and although it's not perfect yet I've seen some promising signs.

For the next season I'm planning on switching to the 4411 as my main tactic  and the 442 as a backup but I'm concerned about the wide players in the 4411. I don't know if they'll be as aggressive as I want them to be 

1 hour ago, Djecker said:

I've been playing a 4-4-1-1 with a SS/TM-S a little bit in my latest save. It's okay, but I don't think the SS provides as much threat as I want, and dovetails that well with the TM-S.

They're a strange one Shadow Strikers. They have through balls as a locked PI which is something you don't always want when you want him as a main scoring threat. I suppose the role was put in for Bergkamp type players rather than Pele  

8 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

They're a strange one Shadow Strikers. They have through balls as a locked PI which is something you don't always want when you want him as a main scoring threat. I suppose the role was put in for Bergkamp type players rather than Pele  

I always thought SS were false 10s so a 9 starting in a deeper position.

14 minutes ago, De Nile said:

I always thought SS were false 10s so a 9 starting in a deeper position.

Yeah they are, it's the through balls though which throws them off for me, I don't think any no 9 role in the game has that hard-coded. Maybe it's the Muller & Bergkamp influence, I do wish it was optionally though    

I'm having an idea, I wonder if a SS & Pressing Forward on Defend could work, I don't think it would be effective but would sure be interesting to see in action  

Edited by Johnny Ace

5 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah they are, it's the through balls though which throws them off for me, I don't think any no 9 role in the game has that hard-coded. Maybe it's the Muller & Bergkamp influence, I do wish it was optionally though    

See, I always felt like Bergkamp was a straight up Trequartista. He was free to do whatever and go wherever. And if Treq feels wrong, I'd be much more inclined to liken him to a CFs with Comes Deep PPM.

Edited by Christopher S

3 minutes ago, Christopher S said:

See, I always felt like Bergkamp was a straight up Trequartista. He was free to do whatever and go wherever. And if Treq feels wrong, I'd be much more inclined to liken him to a CFs with Comes Deep PPM.

You could say he was any of those, I'm just trying to guess who SI had in mind when creating the role. I guess, it was just for a more attack minded AMC so they're still essentially, number 10's ie creative so have the risky passes when the option's on 

If we're going into number 9's & 10's, I'd class an Inside Forward on Attack as a 9 & they make risky passes but again, they're not outright number 9's so have a creative element to them 

Interesting, I've got the shadow striker itch & want to try out a few things but I'm stuck at work :lol:

This is something I did on FM19, from Experienced Defender's (I miss that guy) 4-3-2-1 thread. I'm surprised at how bog standard it is, as back then I was rocking inverted wing backs & roaming playmakers,  I'm boring now. I might try something like that with a DLF(A) or Treq(A) up top. I think Juve would be a good team to try it with a) they're a top team b) Dybala is phenomenal c) Ronaldo could play Treq & Morata could play DLF(A)  

I had a mess about last night for a few hours, in my test save & main save & the most success I got from the SS(A) was the CF(S) setup, with a few changes 

Basically, in my mad scientist type way I observed the following:

• he needs lots of support & any other Attack duty in the top-4 would take his shine away (they still score)
  • IF's(S) supply him more often than a W(S) can (I use WBIB into box so figure they're too wide to find him)
  • Playmakers pick up passes the SS(A) could use to drive forward
  • central runners ruin his jive including the IWB(A)

I ended up with:

PF(S)

IF(S)                      SS(A)                       IF(S)

CM(S)               CM(D)

FB(S)         CD(D)             BPD(D)         FB(A)

SK(S)

Team Instructions

• Attacking
  • Play out of defense
  • Work ball into box
  • Counter-Press
  • More urgent
  • Long throws

Player Instructions

• CM(S): Take more Risks
  • SS(A): Shoot more

It looks an odd setup to me, it looks toothless but the IF's & PF will score when given the chance, the SS(A) is involved but his primary job seems to be linking up the midfield & attack with scoring secondary hence I added Shoot more but the main reason is the guy's I want to use for the role have better Long Shot ratings than Finishing so I want them pinging shots from the edge of the box

I'll have another tinker tonight, trying a DLF(S) & (A) then push on with my season

2 hours ago, Christopher S said:

I don't think so because he still pressed the opposition despite being a 10 either he is an F9, AM(A) or a DLF attack/support.

This is my current 4231 tactic, where my AMC is my main creator who also chips in with his fair share of goals. I find the AP on attack means that he can be found running past the CF onto through balls regularly, I think he'd be too passive on a support role.

image.png.8d701256ab1d653d99219a4eb89a7ce3.png

This is my starting AMC, signed on a free from Liverpool originally to play the BBM role, but his passing and vision were so good he was a natural to replace my club icon (who held the role for almost a decade before) when he started to decline.

image.png.35167866e38f915b82f4c44116294756.png

Last season he racked up 17 assists and 10 goals in 47 appearances (41 starts, 6 subs) and this season he's already got 3 assists and 2 goals in 12. Tries killer balls often has to be my favourite trait in the whole game, it's vital for playmakers with good passing and vision. Usually I'd train tries long range passes as well but the coaches say he already knows enough traits so not to bother.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Love it @Britrock!! He looks a nifty wee fella

Is he a regen with a real player's face or something?

Yeah, he's ace. I tracked him for a few months when his contract started to run down and it took a while to convince him to move to Greece but he's been ace.

Check out Zealand's newGAN facepack, it's got loads of AI generated faces in it that you can assign to all the newgens in your save. They're so much better than the generated faces used by SI. 

https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/newgan-facepack.1266/ 

25 minutes ago, Britrock said:

Yeah, he's ace. I tracked him for a few months when his contract started to run down and it took a while to convince him to move to Greece but he's been ace.

Check out Zealand's newGAN facepack, it's got loads of AI generated faces in it that you can assign to all the newgens in your save. They're so much better than the generated faces used by SI. 

https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/newgan-facepack.1266/ 

I'll have to have a look at that, have seen quite few people using that (or something similar), thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@Johnny Ace Hey bud, question for you about AMC advanced playmakers.

I was able to sign one that I'm really excited about as a prospect. He's 19, looking great so far, but he has one PPM that I think is actually not helpful for his position/role/duty. He's got likes to switch ball to wide areas. That seems like you would not want that in a #10. I typically see that helping with CM strata guys more. Currently, I have him training for Tries Killer Balls Often. Thoughts? 

Here is the player profile: (the only PPM you can't see is the one in question)

image.thumb.png.d6521be7fadaf8dadcf14c5a1f05c3c0.png

12 minutes ago, 04texag said:

@Johnny Ace Hey bud, question for you about AMC advanced playmakers.

I was able to sign one that I'm really excited about as a prospect. He's 19, looking great so far, but he has one PPM that I think is actually not helpful for his position/role/duty. He's got likes to switch ball to wide areas. That seems like you would not want that in a #10. I typically see that helping with CM strata guys more. Currently, I have him training for Tries Killer Balls Often. Thoughts? 

Here is the player profile: (the only PPM you can't see is the one in question)

He looks like a great prospect, look at that Flair!!! I don't think that trait's such a bad thing tbh, try him out in a few games & hawk him, if it takes away from your tactic, try & train him out of it once he learns to play killer balls 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

He looks like a great prospect, look at that Flair!!! I don't think that trait's such a bad thing tbh, try him out in a few games & hawk him, if it takes away from your tactic, try & train him out of it once he learns to play killer balls 

I'll do that.

I love his flair and OTB, of course vision/passing and technique. Great mentals and personality.

This thread has been so helpful to read, finally got my 4231 with Villa working. Finished 5th (might not be a great achievement but I was over the moon) in the first season and Barkley and Grealish were fantastic. I'm not sure how it works but it does so thank you for everyone who posted here that made it possible.

9 minutes ago, Incubus89 said:

This thread has been so helpful to read, finally got my 4231 with Villa working. Finished 5th (might not be a great achievement but I was over the moon) in the first season and Barkley and Grealish were fantastic. I'm not sure how it works but it does so thank you for everyone who posted here that made it possible.

Pleased to hear that ,even though you're Villa :lol:, they're a great team with Grealish & Barkley

How did you set up?

42 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Pleased to hear that ,even though you're Villa :lol:, they're a great team with Grealish & Barkley

How did you set up?

Not even a Villa fan just seemed like a team that you could do a lot of different things with tactically. Honestly mate stole a lot from one of your posts:

two IFs in support with an advanced playmaker on support with AF up top. Rest of the team was really simple CM-D and CM-s, FB-A, FB-S, two bog standard CBs and SK-s

Team instructions were: positive, shorter passing, play out of defence, fairly narrow width and counter. That's it, regardless of who we played it seemed to do the business so I'm definitely not complaining, just wish I knew why it worked so well. Didn't have set pieces done either. 

17 minutes ago, Incubus89 said:

Not even a Villa fan just seemed like a team that you could do a lot of different things with tactically. Honestly mate stole a lot from one of your posts:

two IFs in support with an advanced playmaker on support with AF up top. Rest of the team was really simple CM-D and CM-s, FB-A, FB-S, two bog standard CBs and SK-s

Team instructions were: positive, shorter passing, play out of defence, fairly narrow width and counter. That's it, regardless of who we played it seemed to do the business so I'm definitely not complaining, just wish I knew why it worked so well. Didn't have set pieces done either. 

Awesome!! No problem, that's the idea of the thread as it's a tough role to get involved/ doing anything so it's great to hear the thread might've helped  :thup:

Even as a bluenose, I've played around with Villa because of Jack :D

I'm running the same in my long term save, two 4-2-3-1 variations depending on who I'm wanting to play

AF(A)

IF(S)                 AP(S)              IF(S)

or...

AF(A)

IF(S)              AP(A)               W(S)  

I use the second one the most. Width out on the right, AP(A) can get forward into the box, IF cuts in & the FB overlaps, it basically covers all the channels with the CM(S) covering the inside of the winger

My theory on why the first lineup works is the AP(S) lingers outside the box while the wide players get into it, with your AF(A) your getting 3 players into the box for the AP(S) or CM(S) to pick out. If the AP was on Attack, it crowds out the box

With both having an AF(A), they're fantastic on the counter 

8 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Awesome!! No problem, that's the idea of the thread as it's a tough role to get involved/ doing anything so it's great to hear the thread might've helped  :thup:

Even as a bluenose, I've played around with Villa because of Jack :D

I'm running the same in my long term save, two 4-2-3-1 variations depending on who I'm wanting to play

AF(A)

IF(S)                 AP(S)              IF(S)

or...

AF(A)

IF(S)              AP(A)               W(S)  

I use the second one the most. Width out on the right, AP(A) can get forward into the box, IF cuts in & the FB overlaps, it basically covers all the channels with the CM(S) covering the inside of the winger

My theory on why the first lineup works is the AP(S) lingers outside the box while the wide players get into it, with your AF(A) your getting 3 players into the box for the AP(S) or CM(S) to pick out. If the AP was on Attack, it crowds out the box

With both having an AF(A), they're fantastic on the counter 

Yeah it just works like a treat and the second line up helps me so thanks again! I signed Eze and Buendia for the second season and wasn't sure how to get them both involved (surprised no one came in for Jack because he had 14 goals and 12 assists from IF).

I think the surprise for me comes from the fact I have no settings for pressing, LOE or DL but it works against small and big teams. Every tactic seems to be press the hell out of everyone but Villa's work rate, determination and team work weren't great so left it blank until I figured it out.

Well your theory is smashing it for me so you're clearly on point!

Great thread Johnny! The way you display your AMCs' actions through GIFs is so helpful.

I've been experimenting a 4-2-3-1 DM Wide and loved it. Unlike the classic version, the formation is more forgiving in terms of unleashing full-backs' attacking potential and makes you able to play a less aggressive pressing style combined with a direct brand of football. Actually i mostly copied it from the AI, Schalke's manager inspired me :lol:.  

When i was trying to choose the right roles for my AMC and DMs, i've noticed ,(not considering their defensive behavior), that the AM(s) is just an "advanced CM(s)" and the DM(s) is a "deep CM(s)". Do you agree with me? They're just slightly different in individual mentality and starting positions , of course. Their movement and positionings are more or less the same in the final third imo. 

I remember you mentioned how the AM(s) stays deeper than you expected in one of your comments.

50 minutes ago, Halbraum said:

When i was trying to choose the right roles for my AMC and DMs, i've noticed ,(not considering their defensive behavior), that the AM(s) is just an "advanced CM(s)" and the DM(s) is a "deep CM(s)". Do you agree with me? They're just slightly different in individual mentality and starting positions , of course. Their movement and positionings are more or less the same in the final third imo. 

100% agree. You're best off thinking DM, CM & AM are all central midfield. The AM strata, whichever role you use will track back very deep which I don't always think is right but if you watch the likes of Bruno in real life, he tracks back & helps out so I guess it's right. The AML/R slots are the same too, they will track back very deep, there's no way to stop it when you should be able to really

Glad you've enjoyed the thread & hope it's been helpful

I'm still playing with an AMC in the lower leagues & even then they show flashes of brilliance, I should get some GIFs of them up. One of them's 6 2' & he plays like a target man at times, flicking headers over the defensive line for the striker to run on to 

Edited by Johnny Ace

36 dakika önce, Johnny Ace said:

The AML/R slots are the same too, they will track back very deep, there's no way to stop it when you should be able to really

Even the best real-life managers cannot convince their wingers to track back enough, situation in FM is completely opposite :lol: Our Raumdeuters on Very Attacking mentality can't control their urge to follow their fullbacks. Diego Simeone would love this game :lol:

7 minutes ago, Halbraum said:

Even the best real-life managers cannot convince their wingers to track back enough, situation in FM is completely opposite :lol: Our Raumdeuters on Very Attacking mentality can't control their urge to follow their fullbacks. Diego Simeone would love this game :lol:

Very true! :lol:

@Johnny AceAfter re-reading this thread, I realized that you use a simple role with no PI's for your "playmaker" and I believe what your man did is one of the best series of plays I have seen in the forums. But then after this I thought if I had lack of PI's how am I going to get my player to listen to me. Will I have to use a non-playmaker role for this to work. How will this affect the team; i.e. turnovers via passing, dribbling... Of course, for my AMC I have a flair player and he plays well but he didn't use his flair as much and was obedient to his pi's/ hardcoded role 

so can the flair player star in a playmaker role?

Edited by De Nile

14 hours ago, De Nile said:

so can the flair player star in a playmaker role?

I guess so, would be interesting to try a tactic with a playmaker with the most Flair with everyone around him low Flair, with bland roles, I bet he'd stand out a bit with just an AM-S role

A good team to try it out with is Al-Rayyan, because that AM guy I was using was phenomenal  

In that thread I was just in a 4-4-2 using CM-S's & the attributes of the players made them play differently from one another, like I said in the thread, one was more aggressive & defensive where the other was a bit more creative & had a bit of swagger. So, very clearly attributes make players play differently from one another, which is what you'd expect really. Not only that, there's all sorts going on under the hood like creative freedom, teamwork (whether they follow what you instruct them) & PPI's

It depends for @De Nile, if I'm playing a shorter passing system, I like to use a Playmaker, if I'm not, I won't use one just because I think it's pointless using a PM when you're playing more direct because you're asking your team to bypass him 

38 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

one was more aggressive & defensive where the other was a bit more creative & had a bit of swagger.

Yeah I have good idea for my player could play a AM-S while everyone defends for him in a 4312. :D That being said I wouldn't be mad if it didn't work out I have a player with almost little flair and plays as an AP-S so far my best creative outlet with a couple of assists in lower league football.

I guess to influence how they play even more is by traits but that is very hit and miss and training them is very long.

2 hours ago, De Nile said:

Yeah I have good idea for my player could play a AM-S while everyone defends for him in a 4312. :D That being said I wouldn't be mad if it didn't work out I have a player with almost little flair and plays as an AP-S so far my best creative outlet with a couple of assists in lower league football.

I guess to influence how they play even more is by traits but that is very hit and miss and training them is very long.

The player himself take help dictate the PPIs he can pick up. Like, scoring high in Passing, Vision & Technique they'll be able to train the Try Killer balls PPI so it shouldn't be hit or miss. Does take a while while they'll learn it but I think they use the trait while they're training for it 

This thread has come up with the goods once again. Playing as Real San Sebastien. Playing with a trequartista behind a AF, W-A and an IF-S and we won the league (thanks in part to Barca and Real having bad seasons). Isak with 29 goals, Januzaj with 6 goals and 17 assists, David Silva with 17 goals and 16 assists and Oyarzabal with 23 goals and 11 assists. Cannot believe how well it worked! 

23 minutes ago, Incubus89 said:

This thread has come up with the goods once again. Playing as Real San Sebastien. Playing with a trequartista behind a AF, W-A and an IF-S and we won the league (thanks in part to Barca and Real having bad seasons). Isak with 29 goals, Januzaj with 6 goals and 17 assists, David Silva with 17 goals and 16 assists and Oyarzabal with 23 goals and 11 assists. Cannot believe how well it worked! 

whats your formation looking like?

15 minutes ago, halfspace3000 said:

whats your formation looking like?

So currently the TIs are: Positive, play out of defence, focus down the left and right, counter, counter press, offside trap, high LOE, high DL, more urgent pressing. Play around with these depending on the opposition. Sometimes I'll play wider and pass into space and it looks like this:

AF(A)

W(A)                 TQ(A)              IF(S)

CM(S)     BWM(D)

WB(S)       CB(D)   BPD(D)      FB(A)

SK(S)

The team has had to be gutted and rebuilt as the board sold off everyone who had a good season!

This didn't result in a goal but I thought it was a fantastic bit of play from Marc Leonard, getting a rare run out in a friendly. McNally, my striker had dropped deep & allowed Leonard forward 

Leonard.gif.804751348c7338c0ff2906d2279729eb.gif

He got himself the MOTM after an assist

Leonard2.gif.c164c39b4b5144b7e078196b6bf1c1a5.gif

Playing around with Bayern again, the AM(A) / DLF(A) combo because I was thinking about it at work today

Muller.gif.712f6477536beb238f16341c9e61a83a.gif

Muller2.gif.dbb2f9e68d53ff592f94ebcadb4a0bbe.gif

Muller3.gif.4366aea4c40e350158d206d7bc1bd614.gif

Muller4.gif.a9d90a6c2e9b33bcd85b7ad65905128f.gif

Posting this here because I couldn't find the AC Milan tactic I used before

Untitled.png.eceefe351b57b360cc03651f487d01c4.png

Might try it with a SS but want to crack on with my career save 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Playing around with Bayern again, the AM(A) / DLF(A) combo because I was thinking about it at work today

how did muller and lewandowski do in terms of goals and assists?

18 minutes ago, halfspace3000 said:

how did muller and lewandowski do in terms of goals and assists?

I only simmed upto 31st December 2020

Rob was 23 games, 8 goals, 3 assists

Muller 23, 6, 3 

Sane 6 goals, Gnabry 3 goals, Coman 6 goals, Arp 4 goals 

Nothing amazing really, can get a goal a game out of Rob as an AF(A) but top of the league with 13 games played, 12 wins, 1 draw 

I'm a Birmingham fan, Birmingham are top of the league. Stewart, my striker is on loan from the Villa, him & my number 10, Branch, rip them apart. I'd gone through 120 minutes with Sheff U 3 days before, so my back line is second string. That's football for you

4-0.png.7601a747c2b1f126dd74e9cc7cea1c18.png

table.png.3a7b946a09d8a393d2ea3947c32184cc.png

Branch.gif.615a31188a94b5292c7af1cd5c6e8d73.gif

Stewart.gif.bee7c422c4f7f66f7733df4c7ba778c7.gif

13 saat önce, Johnny Ace said:

Are there any TI's  with this tactic  ?

@Incubus89 It's my base 4-2-3-1, I revamped my FM20 tactic but dumbed it down for the Dynamo 

AF(A)

IF(S)                 AP(A)                W(S)

CM(D)       CM(S)

FB(A)       CD(D)        CD(D)      FB(S)

GK(D)

Positive vs the AI Positive & above

Balanced vs the AI Balanced & below

Narrow

Shorter passing

Counter

More Urgent

It's not P&P though, which is why I was trying a 4-2-3-1 DLF(A) because not all teams have a suitable AF. The AF(A) needs to be fast & tall, good finishing. Wide attackers fast & athletic, AP(A) fast, skillful, creative. The CM's solid, can pass defend, height & speed etc. Back-line fast, tall etc etc 

I knocked down the pressing because It smokes the players, higher tempo was too much for the players & playing out from the back isn't the best of ideas & as above, hoofing it up-field, isn't always a bad thing :lol:

It's working alright, basically have a L2 squad at best in the Championship, 21st & above is the aim & try & up the Club rep to get in better players. Any 4 star player the scouts pick up are of a decent L2 standard   :confused:

Edited by Johnny Ace