AFC Wrexham - RR McReynolds Takeover!

Season 3 kicks off!!

Not the greatest of pre-seasons but could have also been a lot worse after back to back promotions.

I feel as though our squad is some way off the needed ability to go for a third promotion on the bounce so this season will be somewhat of a learn by doing experiment.

Our transfers so far are below but I still have my eye on a few 'higher profile' signings a few weeks/months down the line if their demands come down after being left on free agency.

First season I spend £0 and managed to bring in £475K from transfers, second season I spent £0 and brought in 150K and this season so far I have spent £0 and have brought in 220K.

Wrexham - 2022 Preseason Results.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only two fixtures in July to start the season off as we faced fellow League One side Lincoln City in the Carabao Cup First Round and came from being 1-0 down to hammer them 6-1.

Also had a great start to the League One campaign by beating Cambridge United 4-0 away from home!!

Wrexham - July 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - July 2022 League Table.jpg

Interesting opening month to life in League One as we took some good results, Coventry and Burton were 3rd and 2nd respectively when we played them too which were some tough tests as expected.

We managed to bring in Nathan Delfouneso as another winger/striker option on a free transfer once again.

To be 5th in League One in our first 9 games in the new league after already managing back to back promotions is pretty impressive.

Wrexham - Nathan Delfouneso Deal.jpg

Wrexham - August 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - August 2022 League Table.jpg

Day off work today means two (maybe even three) uploads today.

We had a huge tie against a Premier League Burnley side which we managed to run out 2-0 winners from in the Carabao Cup Third Round tie.

We have since moved onto Hull City who are a Championship outfit too - beating them 3-0 along the way also.

We have a very healthy spread of goal/assist involvement throughout the team at the moment with heavy rotation coming in from time to time due to the hectic fixture schedule - still being in 6th place after 15 games have been played is a great sign!

Our top performers so far are as follows:

Courtney Baker-Richardson has played 15 games, scoring 13 times and getting 4 assists - average rating of 7.59

Roque Santa Cruz (41 years of age) has played 14(2) games, scoring 11 goals and chipping in with 4 assists while averaging a rating of 7.23.

Nathan Delfouneso has been good since coming in too with 4(4) appearances scoring 5 goals and getting 3 assists with an average rating so far of 7.37.

Wrexham - September 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - September 2022 League Table.jpg

Good season of goal scoring so far - only failing to score in 2 games so far as we come to the end of October.

We currently find ourselves in 5th place in League One which is a promising start and if I'm honest I was expecting it to be a lot tougher but the additions of Josh Magennis and Nathan Delfouneso seem to have given us that extra edge - all four of our strikers (the other two being Santa Cruz and Baker-Richardson) have been firing so far this season which is a good sign - just need to keep rotating so none of them go off the boil completely as the season progresses - a few injuries to these guys could mess us up.

Wrexham - October 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - October 2022 League Table.jpg

We've managed to secure the services of 39 year old Dante for Wrexham in League One until the end of the season.

His current ability coming in at 4 star puts him down as our best CB even in his twilight years with 4 pace & acceleration and 5 stamina and agility, for a player that has not really ever relied on pace we hope he can prove good until at least the end of the season.

Details of the move are in the image below!

Wrexham - Dante Deal.jpg

3 hours ago, LUKE! said:

We've managed to secure the services of 39 year old Dante for Wrexham in League One until the end of the season.

His current ability coming in at 4 star puts him down as our best CB even in his twilight years with 4 pace & acceleration and 5 stamina and agility, for a player that has not really ever relied on pace we hope he can prove good until at least the end of the season.

Details of the move are in the image below!

Wrexham - Dante Deal.jpg

I love all of these left field signings you would never imagine any English team signing like Dante. I hope he has the same impact Podolski had.

Still in the mixer after a busy November schedule with a mixed bag of results - still mostly getting them dubs though!

Wilshere picked up an injury meaning he will miss a month or so which is a kick in the teeth but Dante has had some impressive games (we always concede and he's slow before anyone says).

Roque Santa Cruz has also told us he will be retiring at the age of 41 come the end of the season.

Wrexham - November 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - November 2022 League Table.jpg

1 hour ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Going along nicely :)

Could it be three promotions on the bounce? I know I've never done it before, put it that way!

We have completed the signing of ex-Everton youngster and Derby/Wigan loanee Beni Baningime on a free transfer.

Wrexham - Beni Baningime Deal.jpg

...................not a great month to say the least - looked good from the outside before the month began - but just got beat by Doncaster (20th), Walsall (19th) and Burton (10th) on the bounce.

Wrexham - December 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - December 2022 League Table.jpg

Mixed bag of results throughout January - still finding ourselves out of the playoff picture although a good run of results in Feb could keep us in the hunt - four game out of 5 are Home too so fingers crossed!

We managed to offload some deadwood in the form of Josh Magennis (requested a transfer) for £52K, Tariq Hinds £17.75K and Omar Sowunmi £39K.

Wrexham - January 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - January 2023 League Table.jpg

Our form has been spiraling out of control recently but we managed to finish the month with a tightly fought win vs Oxford after the majority of the month with our forwards not scoring - two of them chipped in to secure the 3 points.

We had gone 6 games without a win as you can see below so to get a positive reaction when holding a team meeting and tha resulting in us getting some points on the board again - hopefully we can push on now for the remaining months of the season - although our very next game is v QPR who are currently 1st.

Wrexham - End 6 Match winless run.jpg

Wrexham - February 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - February 2023 League Table.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I have released Roque from his contract after he picked up this injury and we had an injury release clause when we signed him due to his age and something exactly of this ilk hampering him!

With him retiring come the end of the season anyway it was a no brainer to get his wages off the books as he has declined recently and fallen down the pecking order.

Good bye old friend!

Wrexham - Roque Santa Cruz Injury.jpg

I'VE JUST REALISED THAT MY GAME DIDN'T SAVE FROM FEBRUARY!!!

League table and results below that have put me 2 points better off - I am so annoyed because this has flipped the form but there is nothing I can do :mad:

Wrexham - February 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - February 2023 League Table.jpg

A loss to a 1st place QPR to begin the month wasn't the end of the world but was a rare game where we didn't score!

Unbeaten for the remainder of the month but a poor draw vs Lincoln who were placed in the 20s at the time we played them was pretty annoying - overall we will take the results for the month though and hopefully we carry this on to the final month of the season:

Man Utd U23's - Papa John's Trophy Final - 1/2/23

AFC Wimbledon (2nd) - League - 8/4/23

Fleetwood (24th) - League - 15/4/23

Gillingham (22nd) - League - 22/4/23

Portsmouth (4th) - League - 29/4/23

It will be a tough final months as we play both promotion/playoff rivals as well as two teams that are still mathematically able to avoid the drop as it stands!

Wrexham - March 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - March 2023 League Table.jpg

Just now, abulezz said:

Back in the Play-Off zone with a few games to go!

I'll be playing it later today - will be insane if I can manage to stay in the playoff places for what could potentially end up being 3 promotions in 3 seasons!

Stinking 4-0 loss vs Man Utd U23's - not impressed with that one bit and I'm only two promotions away from playing the real deal which is worrying! 

Followed 5-1 by a loss to 2nd place Wimbledon at home - 4 of their goals coming in injury time in both halves 46th, 47th, 93rd and 94th minute?!?! Absolute madness - we dropped down to 7th with this result, now 3 points behind Bristol Rovers.

Up next we played 24th place Fleetwood Town at home who had won 2 and drawn 1 out of their last 5 games. 

We went 2-0 up through Baker-Richardson and Delfouneso, Wilshere has the chance to make it 3 but missed a penalty, and it all came crashing down from there - 2-1, Delfouneso made it 3-1 and then we have no reply - 56th minute their forward scores to bring it to 3-2 and then AGAIN we concede in the 95th minute and draw the game to bottom of the table 3-3. After this game we are still 3 points behind Bristol Rovers also, so we could have moved into 1 point behind Bristol if we would have held out for the win which was a kick in the teeth.

We travel to 20th placed Gillingham next, off the back of three poor results on the bounce, conceding 12 goals in 3 games.

Brilliant performance with a 3-0 win, Baker-Richardson scored twice with Isaac Buckley-Ricketts adding a third.

A HUGE plus on this result was that Bristol Rovers lost to 18th placed Oxford United 3-0 - we are back in the playoffs in 6th place, ahead of Bristol on goal difference by 2 goals right now.

Our final game of the season is vs away from home vs Portsmouth who are in 3rd place going into the final game day.

We lost 4-1.... BUT, Bristol Rovers AND Burton Albion both lost - who were the only other teams in the playoff picture.

I managed to get into the playoffs on goal difference over Bristol Rovers - although I'm not confident of being able to win after some of our recent results - we shall see!!

Wrexham - April 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - April 2023 League Table.jpg

Sky Bet League One Semi-Final draw - the team we just lost 4-1 against in the last game of the season!

Wrexham - League One Play-Off Semi-Final Fixture.jpg

Not a good performance, 1-0 loss but the player ratings weren't great at all - will have to take some more risks in the second leg to have any chance of progressing now!

Wrexham - League One Play-Off Semi-Final Leg 1 Result.jpg

We started out the second leg horribly, going 2-0 down in 28 minutes.

Half time team talk I sternly told them I expected to see a lot more from them in the second half and they didn't disappoint - we came back to 2-2 by the 51st minute but couldn't get that final goal.

Back-to-back promotions and managing to get into the playoffs in the space of our first three seasons is a very very good start to life as Wrexham manager though and hopefully we can get some better players in now to replace any outgoings to push for automatic promotion in season 4.

Wrexham - League One Play-Off Semi-Final Leg 2 Result.jpg

WE ARE BACK!!!

SEASON 4 PRE-SEASON IS COMPLETE!

Pre-season results below for you to take a look at which has been mostly positive although I did opt to have some easier opponents for the majority.

A poor loss vs Forest Green Rovers though who operate in the Sky Bet League Two (hopefully we rested a few players in this one).

As you can see by the transfer activity so far this season - I am a Manchester United fan.

Wrexham - July 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - Season 4 Pre-season Transfers.jpg

So the opening month of August 2023 was a bit of a hit and miss period.

3 wins, 3 losses and a draw in the league. We also lost to Nottingham Forest in the Carabao Cup First Round on penalties - not too sour on this because it's very unlikely we would have gone far in the competition anyway.

Stand out player for the month has been Callum Gribbin who has chipped in with some goals and assists - primary set piece taker for the majority too which helps as he has 16 Penalty Taking, 18 Free Kick Taking and 16 Corners.

League table could be a lot worse - no-one has taken max points from the opening 6/7 games which is good - pretty much shows that the season will be quite open again which is usually the case in these lower divisions.

Wrexham - August 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - August 2023 League Table.jpg

We are suffering a very bad run of form lately so I have signed a more experienced man at the back who still has a 3.5 star rating according to my scouts.

Both keeping clean sheets AND goal scoring is a problem at the moment but I'm not a miracle worker!!

Wrexham - Nathan Baker Deal.jpg

1 minute ago, Assist4nt said:

Nice write up. Enjoy my read. Continue mate.

Appreciate it @Assist4nt- currently on a hell of a rocky road this season, only in September but find myself down in 19th place after 3 brilliant opening seasons in charge!

7 minutes ago, LUKE! said:

Appreciate it @Assist4nt- currently on a hell of a rocky road this season, only in September but find myself down in 19th place after 3 brilliant opening seasons in charge!

I feel you, but me with Sevilla, after super cup lose, we still cant find good momentum in league. Well, still lot of match for you, keep it up.

8 minutes ago, Assist4nt said:

I feel you, but me with Sevilla, after super cup lose, we still cant find good momentum in league. Well, still lot of match for you, keep it up.

Yeah maybe it was our playoff loss that has put us on the back foot to start the new season.

I did just manage to beat Salford City though so hopefully we can get a few results together off the back of that now!

After a 5 game losing streak across the end of August going into the middle of September I was fearing the worst for the season.

But after crashing out of the Carabao on pens - this is a good thing so I can try to focus on getting to the playoffs if not automatic promotion places.

I have also lost the opener for the Papa John's Trophy on pens vs Wigan - again no huge issue, would be nice to win a trophy if possible but I would definitely take promotion instead if given the choice.

Over the 5 game losing period we only scored the one goal through Joe Hugill, and didn't score any goals in our opening 4 games of September (all losses too) until James Wilson scored from the penalty spot in the 94th minute vs Northampton.

I think the Northampton game was the time I changed tactic to a 4-1-2-2-1/4-3-3 (as below) as the forwards weren't performing so I didn't need two of them anyway!

Since then we have scored in 5 games out of six and won 3 of them which is an improvement to the previous handful of results and the table - although we are in 12th, isn't looking too bad if we can manage to string a few wins together over the course of the next few months.

Wrexham - Formation change September 2023.jpg

Wrexham - September 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - September 2023 League Table.jpg

James Wilson - What a man!

The only loss of the month came against top of the league Bristol Rovers which I can live with.

We've made it back into the playoff places for the time being and if we can continue with this form we could be right up there in contention to finish 2nd (1st may be a bit too much for us).

Wrexham - October 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - October 2023 League Table.jpg

29 minutes ago, LUKE! said:

James Wilson - What a man!

The only loss of the month came against top of the league Bristol Rovers which I can live with.

We've made it back into the playoff places for the time being and if we can continue with this form we could be right up there in contention to finish 2nd (1st may be a bit too much for us).

Wrexham - October 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - October 2023 League Table.jpg

James Wilson is a great signing for you. Maybe you could find Federico Macheda to play alongside him.

15 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

James Wilson is a great signing for you. Maybe you could find Federico Macheda to play alongside him.

Haha, not a bad shout but I don't think I'd have the financial muscle to land him right now - I still haven't spent a penny yet in actual transfer funds mind.

I may have another 'big name' signing to add to the likes of Santa Cruz/Podolski/Wilshere/Dante coming in soon ... stay tuned!

38 minutes ago, LUKE! said:

Haha, not a bad shout but I don't think I'd have the financial muscle to land him right now - I still haven't spent a penny yet in actual transfer funds mind.

I may have another 'big name' signing to add to the likes of Santa Cruz/Podolski/Wilshere/Dante coming in soon ... stay tuned!

How is Macheda doing on your save. In real life he is playing for a Greek team and done quite well from looking at his stats.

Below for you pal

He's 32 years old on here now! Madness!!

Only worth 220K as well, may be one to add to the shortlist for next season or something although his stats aren't all that - a lot of 11 ratings lol

Macheda Stats.jpg

5 hours ago, LUKE! said:

Below for you pal

He's 32 years old on here now! Madness!!

Only worth 220K as well, may be one to add to the shortlist for next season or something although his stats aren't all that - a lot of 11 ratings lol

Macheda Stats.jpg

I reckon you could get the best out of him if you sign him. 

Is Mario Balotelli available ?

11 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I reckon you could get the best out of him if you sign him. 

Is Mario Balotelli available ?

He's currently playing for Toronto FC worth 1.1M on 16.5K a week which is out of my price range to be honest.

I'm not a huge fan of the lack of teamwork & work rate either if I'm honest in regards to Balotelli haha

Another good month as we go into December now hoping to keep up the good form as we enter 2024 after this month.

Still in the playoff places and it looks like Bristol Rovers have dropped off a bit recently too which is positive for out automation promotion hopes.

Wrexham - November 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - November 2023 League Table.jpg

3 draws on the bounce wasn't a good period but at least we didn't lose those games!

We remain in the playoff places as it stands - 5 points clear of our nearest rival.

A few injuries have hampered us in the form of Jack Wilshere and Nathan Delfouneso - Iestyn Hughes got himself sent off in the Peterborough game in the 20th minute too - so we did well to hold on to a draw there.

Wrexham - December 2023 Results.jpg

Wrexham - December 2023 League Table.jpg

We started the month well, a draw vs Ipswich was a shaky start on from the numerous draws in December.

But we managed to follow this up with 3 wins on the bounce - then losing to Chelsea U23's in the Papa Johns Trophy.

But another win in the league vs Doncaster puts us comfortably in the playoffs right now!

The Wigan game was an interesting one - we had lost our previous 3 games vs them but started well with Joe Hugill scoring a brace, their Star striker scored his 20th of the season for 18th placed (at the time) Wigan to get back into the game and 2 minutes later, Hugill goes down injured (3-6 weeks).

Our RB Hughes gave away a pen in the 45th minute which Grimshaw saved!

Our LB Medford-Smith then gave away a pen in the 45+2 minute which Grinshaw SAVED!!!!

Second half we then scored the third goal in the 47th minute and secured the 4-1 win with Puigmal scoring.

Dan Grimshaw secured MOTM in this one.

Wrexham - January 2024 Results.jpg

Wrexham - January 2024 League Table.jpg

Poor result vs Salford City but we made up for it with being unbeaten for the remainder of the month.

Our starting RB Iestyn Hughes has damaged his cruciate ligaments and is out for 5-7 months.

Courtney Baker-Richardson has been transfer listed by request after I criticized his form and he didn't like it.

I have also released Delfouneso who was running out of contract in the summer anyway as he picked up an injury keeping him out for around 4 months.

Wrexham - February 2024 Results.jpg

Wrexham - February 2024 League Table.jpg