AFC Wrexham - RR McReynolds Takeover!

Good morning all,

I am looking to document my save with AFC Wrexham as I start a brand new save off the back of the recent update.

I will be posting regular (in game) monthly updates - I will be looking to play a month at a time on this save to keep myself interested while looking to take part in all interviews and take over individual training also.

I have started this morning and will post my first update later today with my tactical approach for the season and if I manager to bring in any new players.

RRMCREYNOLDSWREXHAMTAKEOVER.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going with a Gegenpress core with the below tactics/role and mentality assignments.

4-2-3-1 will be the primary formation

4-4-2 as a backup plan

wrexhamtactic1.jpg

wrexhamtactic2.jpg

Captains announced with Shaun Pearson as captain and Fiacre Kelleher as vice captain.

All done with transfers in at the moment with the below additions all coming in on free transfers:

Daniel Atherton - GK

Michael Turner - CB

Ramarni Medford-Smith - LB

Christian N'Guessan - CM

Lee Frecklington - CAM

Colin Odutayo - Winger

Elliot Grandin - Winger

Maziar Kouhyar - Winger

Isaac Buckley-Ricketts - Winger

Sam Ackroyd - ST

Outgoings there isn't much to mention but having brought in a fair few players I am still looking to offload some wingers at the moment especially - as well as some other surplus to requirement players. Outgoing so far below:

Christian Dibble - GK to Oxford United for 4.2K

Mark Carrington - DR to Chesterfield for 3.5K

I have attached the results from pre-season which was a mixed bag but with some good returns from the likes of Dior Angus (ST) and new signing Isaac Buckley-Ricketts (Winger).

Fixture list for the opening month is below and once I play the whole month next time I'm online I will update this thread as well as updating regarding any ins/outs in the final weeks of the transfer window.

openingfixtures.jpg

Not a bad start to life in The Vanarama National League so far...

Some nice returns as expected from the likes of Dior Anugs and Isaac Buckley-Ricketts. Also had some luck by winning a few penalties in the opening month too!

No more ins or outs from the transfer window yet but I have ex-Hamilton and Brighton player Will Collar on my radar who is a League Two talent currently, and could be a League One player in the future who is all but done now - terms have been agreed just waiting on confirmation.

Results and league table below....

WREXHAMOCTOBERRESULTS.jpg

WrexhamOctoberTable.jpg

Transfers I assume, they’ve put Reynolds and McElhenney as owners of Wrexham specifically. Some CA and PA changes I believe and a few tweaks like showing who assists when goal scorers name pop up during a match etc.

Small update for mid-November to show you the current injury situation I find myself in....

Dior Angus - 9 goals in 9 starts, 1 sub appearance, 2 assists - out for 4-5 months.

Luke Yong - starting  CM as DLP - 4 starts, 4 sub appearances wtih one goal - out for 4 to 5 weeks.

James Horsfield - starting RB - 9 starts, 2 goals, 1 assist - out for 3 weeks.

As well as the other being out for a week here and there.

Hopefully I can keep up my form - I will update this thread with the results for November once I get through the month today.

INJURYCRISIS.jpg

Considering I have been missing a fair few over the course of November including the clubs top scorer in Dior Angus - this wasn't a bad month for results overall taking all things into consideration.

The injury crisis started around the Hartlepool result - so the Hartlepool and Sutton results were frustrating but somewhat justified given the transition to get others into the team and up to speed fitness-wise.

This month saw a mixture of good returns from a lot of players pulling together as a squad and I am starting to see a few links develop now on my formation between a few partnerships.

I had attached the current league table, the match results from November along with a little nugget for me winning manager of the month the opening two months of the season with a club predicted 12th before a ball was kicked!

Our game vs Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup was initially scheduled for November but got postponed and rearranged for December which will add one or two games to the December schedule - hopefully a few more players to return from injury in time for the congested fixture list!

NOVEMBERMANAGEROFTHEMONTH.jpg

novemberresults.jpg

novembertable.jpg

A mixed bag of results throughout December - both losses coming in the FA Cup (loss to Blyth Spartans) and FA Trophy (Loss to York City) means we can focus on league football now.

Our starting LB Ramarni Medford-Smith has been out all month and is still out for another 2 weeks or so.

Taking into account we played 8 games over December I'm quite happy with 2 losses coming in cup competitions (would have liked to stay in the competitions but if I lose, I'd rather it was in the cups right now). 2 Draws and 4 wins.

We are still dominating the Vanarama National League as you can see with the screenshot below.

We have no money or wages but if I can move some players on in January I may look for some cheap/free options again to bolster the squad.

1 league loss from 19 games isn't bad though considering we were predicted 12th place at the start of the season.

RR McReynolds also accepted my request for a Senior Affiliate and came back with the 3 options of Stoke City, Coventry City and Preston North End - I looked at the recommended loanees for future use and Stoke had the most so to take advantage of the freebie loanees I opted to go with the Potters.

senioraffiliate.jpg

tableindecember.jpg

wrexhamdecemberresults.jpg

Considering how well we were doing throughout 2020 - January 2021 hasn't been great for us - failing to score in 3 games, losing two of those, drawing another two and winning just 3 out of 7 for the month.

February could be another hit and miss month for results as we have 6 games in that month - according to my current fixture list (maybe some re-arrangements will happen) after Feb, there will only be 4 games per month.

Take a look below at how January unfolded, with results, league table (still dominant even with the poor form) and transfers ins and outs.

Brought in a few youngsters which I have loaned out but also a few experienced heads just to bolster the numbers to avoid another injury crisis hampering out promotion push during the second half of the season.

Wrexham - January 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - January 2021 League Table.jpg

Ins

Wrexham - January Transfers In 2021.jpg

Outs - all loans for young players with good potential

Wrexham - January Transfers Out 2021.jpg

Edited by LUKE!

Feb saw us win 4 games, draw 1 and lose 1 (poor loss given that Eastleigh were in the relegation zone at the time.

Jamie Gray, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts and Devonte Redmond getting 2 goals a piece were the stand out performers in the final 3 out of 4 games to get 3 wins on the bounce.

As previously posted - the next/last 3 months of the season have 4 games in each period so hopefully this will be a time to wind down the double game weeks to get a good run of form on the go to push for the title win and promotion!

Wrexham - February 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - February 2021 League Table.jpg

Just a quick update to show the final fixtures of the season:

March Fixtures:

Sutton United - Away - 7th

Boreham Wood - Home - 16th

King's Lynn Town - Away - 20th

Bromley - Away - 4th

April Fixtures:

Barnet - Home - 12th

Dagenham and Redbridge - Home - 21st

Woking - Home - 18th

Chesterfield - Away - 11th

May Fixtures:

Torquay - Away - 10th

Aldershot - Away - 15th

Dover Athletic - Home - 13th 

Altrincham - Home - 14th

March is probably the toughest fixture list out of the remaining months with 2 out of 4 games vs teams in the top 7 in the league right now.

3 of the 4 games in March are also away from home.

Every other game through April and May are vs teams currently placed 10th or lower.

I will update this thread once I have time to play again - probably tomorrow evening.

Wrexham - Title Run in Fixtures.jpg

Yeah man should be pretty much nailed on from here - should have Dior Angus back soon who scored 9 goals in 10 games at the very start of the season too - been injured since!

Not the greatest of showings from the month of March!

Bromley are closing the gap after beating us comfortably in the end at the end of the month with a draw not really good enough vs Boreham Wood to add insult to injury!

Luckily we still have a good cushion and 3 home games in April will hopefully see if with a good return from the 4 games in that month.

Wrexham - March 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - March 2021 League Table.jpg

Good month of results for us as we started with a draw at Home to Barnet which could have easily been a win.

We welcomed Dagenham and Redbridge to our place and played them off the park with a 3-0 win.

Woking came to us and we got Dior Angus involved again for the first real time since he returned from injury - bagging himself a goal.

We then traveled to Chesterfield and managed a 1-0 win, again with Dior Angus scoring via a penalty to secure the win!!!

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!

We go into May with no pressure whatsoever now but will look to win go into League Two in style!

Wrexham - Vanarama National League Champions.jpg

Wrexham - April 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - April 2021 League Table.jpg

Final month of the season done and dusted - a poor finish for what was a brilliant season overall really - but to finish as Champions with 4/5 games to go - we can't really complain given we were predicated for a 12th place finish!

Results and final league table below :)

Wrexham - May 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - May 2021 League Table (Final).jpg

I have added in the final standings for the manager of the month over the course of the season - of which I won 3 awards out of the 7.

We unfortunately didn't have ONE player or young player of the month so I will leave that stat for next season (hopefully).

Isaac Buckley-Ricketts taking the top scorer award with 16 goals.

Dior Angus coming in second place as the only other player to get double figures for goal scoring in the team - with 11 goals, which is impressive considering he missed 4 months of the season through injury (possibly more due to lack of fitness etc.)

Isaac Buckley-Ricketts also took the mantle of the highest average rating with a 7.15 which was probably helped by the goals he scored for the club too.

This was closely followed by Jordan Davies who had an average rating of 7.12 over the course of 30 (4) appearances getting 8 goals and 8 assists in the process.

Most assists for the team was taken by Jordan Davies who made 8 over the course of the season.

This was followed by both Isaac Buckley-Ricketts and Devonte Redmond who has 7 apiece respectively.

Best pass completion came through our Sweeper Keeper Rob Lainton who had 92%.

Most MOTM awards were shared over 3 players in the form of Isaac Buckley-Ricketts (an ever present in these stats), Rob Lainton and Jordan Davies, three players who have basically swept the board with the end of season player stats.

Wrexham - Manager of the Month Awards.jpg

Wrexham - 2021 Player and Team Stats.jpg

Wrexham - Confidence Summary and Breakdown.jpg

Thanks man - during the last few months I was keeping an eye on the premier league clubs releasing youngsters so I have a few of these guys on their way to us in the summer.

At the very least I can loan some out and get a decent fee in the future but I have stockpiled somewhat for the time being with youngsters that have a bit of potential!

I will be doing the transfer window over the course of the weekend and will update with any ins and outs etc. :)

Upon request by myself to the board in light of the brilliant season we had, I initially tried my luck with asking for an U23 team, along with improved training and youth facilities.

The youth and training facilities got rejected but I now have an U23 team going into League Two!

Improvement!

Wrexham - U23 Team 2021.jpg

Season 2 Pre-season

We start season two on the front foot by confirming a new senior affiliate in the form of Arsenal FC.

I have made some changes in personnel but will wait until at least the first game of the season to post about these changes with some ins and outs still ongoing right now as I am only on the 10th July 2021 right now.

Wrexham - Arsenal Senior Affiliate.jpg

Preseason is over, 2 wins, a draw and a loss over the course of our fixtures.

Plenty of football been played with players stepping down to help out the U23 players too.

Transfers ins and outs are below via screenshots a long with our results - I do think this will be a tough season as a lot of the players aren't up to scratch and I've had a massive overhaul with transfers this preseason.

The first screenshot of transfers were the players I brought in at the end of the 2020/21 season, with the second being the ins and outs of the 2021/22 season so far.

I did however, sell Left winger Jordan Davies who I signed on a free transfer at the start of last season for 450K to Ross County which was a tidy profit.

I have a lone fixture on the 31/7/21 vs Grimsby Town Away from home in the Sky Bet League Two opener who finished 10th last season so that should be a good test.

It may take some time for all the new signings to bed in fully and the lack of first team friendlies may make this take a bit longer also.

Wrexham - End of 1st Season Transfers.jpg

Wrexham - Start of 2nd Season Transfers.jpg

Wrexham - Preseason Results.jpg

We left it late in our first game of the season vs Grimsby Town - but ultimately new boy Courtney Baker-Richardson gets a brace and helps us secure 3 points from a possible 3 in the only game of July 2021.

Screenshots below for player ratings etc from our opener, along with how we lined up and the league table at the end of July.

We have 8 games lined up in August with 3 home games and 5 away games.

Wrexham - Season opener vs Grimby.jpg

Wrexham - How we start 202122.jpg

Wrexham - July 2021 League Table.jpg

Bit of a mixed bag on the results front this month but the Blackpool and Bradford City games were Carabao Cup games - I'm happy to be out of this cup if I'm honest due to the massive amount of games we have per month as it is.

New signing Courtney Baker-Richardson has been by far our standout performer so far, although in every game so far we have had the following:

Bolton = 31 Shots, 9 On Target and no goals.

Oldham = 20 Shots, 10 On Target and two goals.

Blackpool = 4 Shots, 1 On Target with one goal - I'll take this given they were League One opposition.

Cheltenham = 18 Shots, 7 On Target with one goal.

Harrogate = 28 Shots, 10 On Target and no goals.

Carlisle = 12 Shots, 6 On Target and 1 goal.

Bradford City = 15 Shots, 7 On Target and 1 goal.

Mansfield = 13 Shots, 8 On Target and 1 goal.

Clearly we need to brush up on our finishing at the moment!

Wrexham - August 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - August 2021 League Table.jpg

Another mixed bag of results this month, seems to be the way this season will go on the whole.

We have however, made somewhat of a 'marquee' signing in the form of Lukas Podolski on a free transfer at the ripe old age of 36!

Wrexham - September 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - September 2021 League Table.jpg

Wrexham - Lukas Podolski Deal.jpg

13 hours ago, LUKE! said:

Another mixed bag of results this month, seems to be the way this season will go on the whole.

We have however, made somewhat of a 'marquee' signing in the form of Lukas Podolski on a free transfer at the ripe old age of 36!

Wrexham - September 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - September 2021 League Table.jpg

Wrexham - Lukas Podolski Deal.jpg

Podolski is a dream signing for Wrexham even at his age. I would love to see more signings like this at Wrexham. @bestbrother would be very proud of your recruitment here lol.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Podolski is a dream signing for Wrexham even at his age. I would love to see more signings like this at Wrexham. @bestbrother would be very proud of your recruitment here lol.

Haha, mate, I do love going for a golden oldie and making them shine again even if it is in the lower leagues!

2 minutes ago, LUKE! said:

Haha, mate, I do love going for a golden oldie and making them shine again even if it is in the lower leagues!

Blaise Matitudi might be a good one, @bestbrother can you think of any golden oldies in case Luke runs out of ideas.

Is Freddy Adu still playing football?

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Blaise Matitudi might be a good one, @bestbrother can you think of any golden oldies in case Luke runs out of ideas.

Is Freddy Adu still playing football?

tbh all I do is go player search, sort by International Caps and go through the list.

Take off 'interested in transfer' in the tick box as players still talk at times.

I've been keeping my eye out every transfer window on free agents.

Freddy Adu was a coach on one of these games the last time I saw him I think! 

Just now, bestbrother said:

tbh all I do is go player search, sort by International Caps and go through the list.

Take off 'interested in transfer' in the tick box as players still talk at times.

A man after my own heart, I do this religiously! :applause:

Bit of a rough month!

The only positive (clutching at straws) is that I scored at least one goal in all but two games in the month.

We've slipped down the table a bit after this but hopefully the 3-1 win at the end of the month will push us on to start making a climb through November.

Wrexham - October 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - October 2021 League Table.jpg

9 hours ago, LUKE! said:

Bit of a rough month!

The only positive (clutching at straws) is that I scored at least one goal in all but two games in the month.

We've slipped down the table a bit after this but hopefully the 3-1 win at the end of the month will push us on to start making a climb through November.

Wrexham - October 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - October 2021 League Table.jpg

You're only 9 points off the playoffs, and have a game in hand on Wigan. A decent November and December would have you right back in the mix again.

Yeah it's not too bad overall to be honest mate - given that it's the first season in League Two since promotion in the first season I will take it.

Still hurts to lose that many in the space of a month though! Haha

WHAT.

A.

MONTH!!!

Unbeaten after a rough October throughout the November schedule.

Through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup after beating Colchester in one hell of a game after being 3-1 down initially and coming back to being 6-4 winners in the end.

We are also through to the Northern Section Second Round of the Papa John's Trophy after topping a group consisting of Man Utd U23's, Barrow and Oldham in Group H - drawing Harrogate in the next round of fixtures.

Wrexham - November 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - November 2021 League Table.jpg

A decent December schedule has seen us win 4, draw 1 and lose 1 (disappointing given that Cheltenham were right down in the slums of the league at the time).

On the plus side though, we beat Harrogate in the Second Round of the Papa John's Trophy 4-1 at the start of the month and have been drawn against Norwich U23's in January for the Third round tie.

The third round draw for the FA Cup has been made with Everton being our opponents on the 1/1/2022 which will be a really tough one.

I have managed to secure a new deal - see the details below, I rejected any future %% on the deal to save the club some money (not sure this would matter much to me but I always do it).

League table is looking promising if I can continue our recent good run from November/December into the new year.

I am going to be taking my time today to have a look at potential transfer targets which won't affect registration numbers (age-wise) to try and get some freebies in and potentially some loans from the likes of my Senior affiliate Arsenal who we already have Alex Kirk and Miguel Azeez from.

Wrexham - New Manager Contract December 2021.jpg

Wrexham - December 2021 Results.jpg

Wrexham - December 2021 League Table.jpg

A great month of results bar the FA Cup exit to a Premier League Everton side during a 4-2 loss - which, if you ask me, isn't the end of the world after scoring twice against them!

Transfer business through January:

Ins - Callum Gribbin (Free), Vashon Neufville (Free), Roque Santa Cruz (Free).

Outs - Dior Angus (1.4K - out of contact in the summer to free up wages) and Rob Lainton (27K)

We are looking in good shape to keep plugging away for promotion or at least the playoffs come the end of the season as we have managed to climb right the way up to 7th place with some HUGE wins against Peterborough and Salford during the last two games on Jan.

Wrexham - January 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - January 2022 League Table.jpg

WWWWW

We break the club record for the longest streak of wins by making it 11 at the end of Feb with the win at Rochdale!

Another big signing in the form of Jack Wilshere on a free transfer sees us bolster the squad once more as we push for promotion!!

Wrexham - Jack Wilshere Deal.jpg

Wrexham - February 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - February 2022 League Table.jpg

100 Games in Management!

This month saw us begin with a tough loss vs Wigan after not being able to find the back of the net.

We bounced back with a 5-0 win over Stockport.

Another stumbling block as we lost a 3-1 lead against Leyton Orient to settle for a draw.

While we scored in the 95th minute against Port Vale to go 3-2 up, they somehow scored in the 96th minute to equalise!

Our next outing sees us travelling to Wembley to take on our Senior Affiliaite club Arsenal's U23 side in the Papa John's Trophy Final!

2 Home games and 2 Away games to finish up the League Two campaign after that and we will find out what position we find ourselves in at the end of April.

We could potentially cling onto guaranteed promotion, or potentially find ourselves in the playoff places - we will be very unfortunate to drop out of playoff contention completely but it's still possibly and the league title is way beyond our reach.

Wrexham - 100 Games in Management.jpg

Wrexham - March 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - March 2022 League Table.jpg

Final month of the season was a resounding success. We started out by beating Arsenal U23's in ET to win the Papa John's Trophy.

4 more wins to follow as you can see below, with the side only conceding the one goal vs Exeter, they were first or second at the time too - huge win!

Wrexham - Papa John's Trophy Winners 2022.jpg

Wrexham - April 2022 Results.jpg

Wrexham - April 2022 League Table (Final).jpg

He didn't get much game time to be honest because of how well the Flanagan & Azeez partnership was working.

He has a future though because I couldn't get Azeez on loan again for next season on the first try......

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Nice to see you doing so well so early in your career. How has Wilshire done for you then ?

Podolski still contributing with the goals is nice to see as well.