Team Instructions

I think i'm grasping the player roles more and more and the things that could effect the positioning of players and different aspects like that. However, i wanted to know what things to consider when picking the team instructions? I really haven't mastered this. 

Things like, why short passing? Why make tempo quicker? Why pass into space?

In short, your team instructions need to be in harmony with your setup of roles and duties, because they together create your tactical style (or style of play, if you will), which needs to be coherent (i.e. free of contradiction). 

For example, if your roles and duties are designed for a possession-oriented style of football, then instructions also need to be possession-friendly. And the opposite for faster and/or more direct styles of play.

Basically, if you get the roles and duties right, you won't need to use more than just a couple basic instructions (if any).

Keep also in mind that the team mentality automatically affects/adjusts all (other) instructions (along with individual player mentalities). However, the mentality does not define your core style of play. 

Also, passing and tempo are directly interrelated in the sense that increasing/decreasing passing length adjusts the tempo accordingly even when it's not explicitly displayed on the screen. Of course, the effect of a change in passing length is smaller than when you directly tweak the tempo setting. 

Thanks for your reply. What sort of instructions relate to "possession-oriented style of football"

Likewise, what sort of things aren't possession based?

The below is what i've currently got for my Spurs save. Thinking is that Kane will be feeding balls into the other three behind him - hence the shorter passing and work ball into box instructions. 

image.thumb.png.2779998555379767cde6cddf614cc921.png

37 minutes ago, Paul Barton said:

What sort of instructions relate to "possession-oriented style of football"

Obviously short(er) passing, low(er) tempo, play out of defence and work ball into box in possession paired with a relatively moderate team mentality (usually balanced or positive). Hold shape and counter-press in transition. And higher lines of defense out of possession, sometimes paired with either greater team pressing urgency or split block via player instructions.

However, if you use all these in-possession instructions at once, you are likely to end up in sterile possession football (i.e. possession for its own sake). So you need to strike the right balance in order to avoid tactical overkill of any kind. 

14 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

And does it work the way you want or not?

Bit of a mixed bag so far this season. Two good home wins, 3-0 over Villa and 6-0 over Chelsea but 2 poor away performances away to Liverpool and lastly Arsenal conceding 8 goals! 

Can you see any obvious flaws in what i'm trying to do with this setup?

18 minutes ago, Paul Barton said:

Can you see any obvious flaws in what i'm trying to do with this setup?

The most obvious flaw in my view is the setup on the left flank. Because for a possession-minded style of play - suggested by your choice of team instructions, especially in possession - the FB on support is a bit too conservative to properly and consistently support his inside-oriented wide partner (the IF). However, rather than changing the fullback's role, I would actually switch the IF to the classic winger (his duty would remain attacking). The reason is - BBM and SS in the middle ;) 

That tweak would consequently make the standard passing a better option than shorter. 

I would then also consider switching the RB to FB on attack duty (or at least the overlap right instruction instead). 

Another potential issue can be too much compactness in defense (i.e. more than optimal). Because much higher D-line coupled with standard LOE can make it easier for the opposition to play balls over the top of your defense, especially with your increased pressing urgency. Just higher D-line would make a lot more sense. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

In short, your team instructions need to be in harmony with your setup of roles and duties, because they together create your tactical style (or style of play, if you will), which needs to be coherent (i.e. free of contradiction). 

For example, if your roles and duties are designed for a possession-oriented style of football, then instructions also need to be possession-friendly. And the opposite for faster and/or more direct styles of play.

Basically, if you get the roles and duties right, you won't need to use more than just a couple basic instructions (if any).

Keep also in mind that the team mentality automatically affects/adjusts all (other) instructions (along with individual player mentalities). However, the mentality does not define your core style of play. 

Also, passing and tempo are directly interrelated in the sense that increasing/decreasing passing length adjusts the tempo accordingly even when it's not explicitly displayed on the screen. Of course, the effect of a change in passing length is smaller than when you directly tweak the tempo setting. 

Could you please explain also "Attacking width" and "Focus Play"? What setting of them with what style of play will work in harmony? 

Thanks in advance.

I did originally have the LB as a WB but changed for a little more defensive solidity having conceded all the goals against Lpool and Arsenal. Perhaps I'll try the RB as a FB as well. Can I ask, why would you switch the passing to standard with that tweak to the winger? 

With regards to the pressing, the front 3 or 4 have the capability to press with decent work rate etc which is why i was pressing more. However, I had noticed there was a few times I was getting caught with balls in behind which I guess might be due to the pressing. What kind of setup would be required for a pressing team if I wished to operate this style? 

14 hours ago, woland said:

Could you please explain also "Attacking width" and "Focus Play"? What setting of them with what style of play will work in harmony? 

Instructions such as attacking width and focus play are the kind of TIs I personally use almost exclusively on a situational basis, i.e. as occasional in-match tweaks (as I see fit). I may use such instructions as part of my primary (starting) tactic only if I want to play a style of football that obviously requires that kind of instructions (like wing-play for example). 

14 hours ago, Paul Barton said:

Can I ask, why would you switch the passing to standard with that tweak to the winger?

Primarily because that new setup does not optimally suit possession football. On top of that, standard passing gives more options to your players in attack, which can especially be helpful when you have good and intelligent players. 

Btw, I sometimes like to tell my CBs to pass shorter in their PIs while the team passing is left to default. That way I combine a more patient early build-up with more expansive attacking play in more advanced areas of the pitch.