Passing is just dreadful in this version

I have my team to set up to play short passing, yet they just hoof it anywhere even when a simple pass is on it's hilarious.  I have players with high technique, passing, vision, first touch etc. Even the goaly who is supposed to pass to the back 4 just hoofs it half the time, as for my CB let's just hoof it anywhere as long as it's not near a player. It's like watching Sunday park football and too honest the other sides are not much better and this supposed to be premier ship football. Midfielders keep trying to play killer balls etc as well and the wide men just never cross the ball even when they get a chance. I am not losing its just completely terrible to watch

I know i will be asked how i am set up so here goes

Untitled.png

48 minutes ago, claretonmyshirt said:

Also do you just sit when a corner comes up and think, oh my god not another corner as you score like once in 30 even though you have ward-prose taking them and 3 x 6ft 4 centre backs with good heading skills to aim at and 3 different corner options?

That actually probably is about right, do you expect to score a corner every game or something?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Cautious & shorter passing is uber short!! Just think, that limits your player's passing options greatly, if there's no-one within their little passing radius they'll look for other options 

i try between cautious, balanced and positive depending on who i am playing, i'm not saying i am not winning just saying the footballs bloody terrible! :)

52 minutes ago, claretonmyshirt said:

Untitled.png

Honestly, while this tactic has some weaknesses - most notably the lack of penetration - it should not lead to a lot of hoofed balls. 

On the other hand, a low team mentality - cautious in this case - can cause players, especially defenders and more defense-minded midfielders, to hoof the ball when under pressure. Simply because low mentalities mean a low appetite for risk, and in situations like that - hoofing the ball forward is obviously the least risky option. However, that kind of behavior is more pronounced in lower leagues, where players are of too low quality to attempt anything other than the simplest option (hoofing). 

The counter instruction does encourage players to look for an immediate direct/long pass forward once the possession has been won back, so that can also be a factor contributing to your issue.

Suggestion: remove the Counter instruction and watch if there is an improvement. Report back the impressions. 

I’d suggest removing counter like the post above states. I also found with an advanced forward I got more balls hoofed up the pitch.

You also have to watch and see if the opposition are pressing your back line so your goalkeepers only option is to lump it up. 

You can play good possession football with a cautious mentality the issue you can find on this mentality is the opposition are pressing your players are more likely to take the less risky option of lumping it up. Especially if your player on the ball has poor composure and decisions.