FM21 - Barcelona - The return of the King

Given Barcelona's worldwide status over the past decade (and some), this has been a boring, sure thing FM save for a long time, but I feel like this year could be different. Although judging by the lack of other Barca threads, I may be wrong... Regardless, this is my first post, so at least it's a weight off to have finally gotten involved after lurking for far too long!

As I start the game and look at the contract information of our first team squad, I understand why Barca are in such financial trouble. Ignoring Messi's £1.1 million weekly wage, there are a number of ageing stars on enormous contracts. We will try to get the best out of the likes of Busquets, Pjanic, Griezmann et al. for the first season, and will then look to move them on and to recruit for the future. 

I'm going to focus on bringing Tiki-Taka back to Barcelona. My initial vision is to stick Messi back into the F9 role that he made his own almost a decade ago, although I am not entirely convinced that he will have the impact needed to propel the team from this role - this will be a work in progress that I'll monitor as we go. We will be building the strongest staff infrastructure possible from top to bottom to make sure we are able to develop the young talents (Fati, Pedri, Moriba, Todibo etc.) that La Masia is famous for producing, to ultimately return Barcelona to the top of world football once again. 

First things first, this is how I've set us up tactically. We will look to always play on the front foot, stretching the pitch with the ball, and squeezing the pitch without it. I have not used this tactic in any of my other saves, and have created from scratch so there may need to be a couple of tweeks, but I feel confident with this setup as a starting point.  

20210225152518_1.thumb.jpg.641c230a31901e969bdf511ccb577931.jpg

The Squad

There are some very talented players in the squad, but I will be focussing on a couple of the younger superstars that we are going to be able to build the team around for the next decade. 

Goalkeeper

Marc-Andre Ter Stegen will, I expect, be our number one for the next 5 years+. He is no spring chicken but his £150k per week is reasonable in comparison to some of the older players in the team, and he is still up there as one of the best sweeper-keepers around. 

20210225153705_1.thumb.jpg.b03ed1043f378039003c996f0f574221.jpg

Defence 

There are a number of good young prospects at the back. The likes of Dest, Firpo and Wague look like decent wing back options, but none of them are elite. Firpo looks really well-rounded to me, but my report says that he has no more room for growth. I'll be rotating him with Alba in the LB spot this season and seeing if he cuts the mustard.

Jean-Clare Todibo and Ronald Araujo are the stand out defenders for me, and are likely to be Pique replacements. I will be keeping a close eye on Todibo whilst he is on loan at Nice and hope that a year of regular first team football puts him in a position be be my first choice CB in the 2nd season. 

20210225153713_1.thumb.jpg.a9eb801b91b416d9d27f0f7c1d1b24cb.jpg

Araujo will rotate with Pique and Lenglet, and I would hope that decent performances can push him ahead of one of these two in the first year. 

20210225155551_1.thumb.jpg.87e3437ddfaa5493e12f6795993fb15e.jpg

Midfield

Frenkie de Jong is going to be my main man. Great attributes and personality make him the ideal playmaker to take Barca back to the big time, and I think that the experience of Busquets and Pjanic alongside make this a pretty strong midfield 3 to kick off with. Probably my most important player, and with the Model Citizen personality, I will be looking to retain him for as long as I play.

20210225153718_1.thumb.jpg.85e7d089054f51022f9e065d8d440d68.jpg

Pedri and Ilaix Moriba are already absolute monsters attributes wise. I see them both as a big part of the longer term future, and so will try and get them as much game time as I can first season. Would love to have Pedri in that AP role of the midfield three, as I just imagine Iniesta when I look at his technical stats, but worry that his low work rate and teamwork make this a non starter. Would be interested to see how anyone else has used him, but I imagine he will be out on the right wing as an Inside Forward. 

20210225153742_1.thumb.jpg.3c07ef0baf4b8575b23bb7f45e10b209.jpg

20210225153734_1.jpg

Forwards

Ansu Fati. Another 17 year old monster that La Masia has created. He will be starting whenever he is fit to push his development and to nail down the Inside Forward role on the left. Great stats all round, and probably the one that I feel is closest to being the heir to the King here at Barcelona.

20210225153750_1.thumb.jpg.cb205751e263ccc8348d0e17be1e4c0d.jpg

Deadwood

At first glance I have picked out Matheus Fernandes and Martin Braithwaite as deadwood. Fernandes will free up little to nothing for the transfer budget, but Braithwaite is as average as they come, and on over £100k per week. Both will go, if I can shift them.

Recruitment

Barca start with a Transfer budget of £5 mil with £60k free on the wage budget, so we will be focussing on talent from within and seeing where we are once the deadwood is out the door. I'm thinking that I'll only need a CDM to rotate with Sergio Biscuits. Sergio is decent, but his brother Oreo is not good enough. I will update once I've delved a little deeper tomorrow.

Looking forward to cracking on with this and seeing how we start off the season, and also to hear how anyone who has started a Barca save has got on.

Cheers for reading  👍🤙

Edited by Harrold

Good luck with the save would be nice if you could go without signing any players for the next 5 or seasons and try and rely on the world renowned La Masia which has struggled to produce the good in recent years.

26 minutes ago, MAECK said:

I myself have just started a game with Barcelona, and my plan is to use the club's own young player, and maybe buy a big name couple of seasons but otherwise use young players

That's awesome...   :lol:

Started again with barca after the update just reached jan first season. So far all I have done transfer wise is loan garcia from city an managed to sell braithwaite for 12 million to arsenal. The money I got for marty went towards signing moukoko I think it ended up being like 8 mil upfront an 25 or somet over 3 years. My team is playing alright we are top of the league but shipping a few goals an not always taking our chances

2 minutes ago, lblanc said:

Good stuff Harold be very interested to see how things go. 

Small note Oriel is no relation to Sergio ;)

Hes no relation but I kinda like he called him oreo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @Harrold how are you progressing so far?

Thinking in starting a Barcelona save, focusing in La Masia players, and if I need to buy, buy only La Masia ex players and under 18 players (Moukoko is my target).

I've not managed to play FM very much at all over the past couple of weeks, so have not managed much progress at all, but here's a little update on how the squad and tactic setup's are now looking at the beginning of the season.

Transfer business was pretty straightforward, with Martin Braithwaite leaving for Villareal (£9.5 mil) and Matheus Fernandes going out on a season long loan to affiliate club, FC Ultrecht.

@lblanc Thanks for the heads up on the Busquets brother dilemna. Despite thinking that he may not be up to standard initially, I have brought Oriol Busquets into the first team squad to cover the CDM spot - he seems to be the best option to help cover both a DLP or HB role in the team. The only bit of incoming business is the £39.5 transfer of Rodrigo Bentancur from Juventus. I was happy enough with most other aspects of the squad, but wanted to bring in a strong CM option to rotate with Pjanic. Bentancur will provide a bit more steel, with stronger physical and defensive stats than Pjanic, and is very comfortable on the ball. This will help us both with and without the ball and gives us really good strength of depth in the midfield now. 

1855866453_BarcaSquad1.thumb.jpg.f9a48e4fd5192f7d42fee9ce8494a053.jpg

Our tactical setup has been tweaked a lot during pre-season, with the wing backs being pushed higher up the field, and the CDM duty being changed to a half back. This will allow the wing backs to get into more advance positions and to provide that much needed width, with Busquets dropping into a back 3 to provide more stability and protection against the counter. 

Both inside forwards have been changed to a support duty to ensure they are both more involved in the teams build-up play, with the F9 role being changed to a DLP (A).

563445060_BarcaTactics1.jpg.06433e8c27a4e8c0a0ff189527194555.jpg

We kicked the season off by welcoming Valencia to the Camp Nou. A strong 2-0 win, was a great way to start the La Liga campaign, with Fati grabbing both goals, and having a third cancelled out for offside. 61% possession and 15 shots (1.66xG) to their 1 (0.07xG) demonstrated our total dominance of the game, and (hopefully) shows that we're on the right track. 

Our next three fixtures are against Real Sociadad (A), Athletic (H) and Celta (A) - I will crack on and aim to update in the next couple of days.

Really keen to see how @MAECK and @frog-kvfb are getting on too. 

Hope you enjoy reading, and welcome any suggestions!

20210318155903_1.thumb.jpg.813e23b2878d26f199b531470100b39c.jpg

4 wins and a draw from our first 5 games is a solid start, but we have an away game against Bayern up next in our first Champions League game, which will be a good test of where we are at. 

Oreo Biscuits scoring a 92nd minute winner away at Osasuna in our last game was a big two fingers up to me after my previous comments. Good to see that he looks as though he'll be able to provide something for us over the course of the season!

Still tweaking the tactical setup to get the best from our front three while making sure they aren't going direct too early. Messi being swapped between IF on the right and our DLF down the middle. I feel he will have more of an impact coming off the right, but Griezmann has had a really poor start to the season out on the right hand side. 

Pedri has had an unbelievable start to the season, with 1 goals and 3 assists in 2 starts and 2 substitute appearances in the CM (AP-A) role - definitely the standout performer so far.  

20210318155913_1.thumb.jpg.070a9c3c63dd2058f4a7d125d9751065.jpg

Coutinho having a stinker, and not really what i'm looking for in a left sided IF. I'll continue to try and find him some form in the hope that we can also then find him a new Club. 

Away for a few days, so no update now until next week, but we'll try and blast through when I'm back at it. 

So, we've finally made it to the 1st December...

The good news is that we're unbeaten in all competitions, with 4 wins out of 4 in the Champions League Group Stage (drawn alongside Bayern, Dynamo Kyiv and Basaksehir F.K.) and 9 wins and a draw from our opening 10 league games. In all competitions we've scored 34 goals and only conceding 8 in the process. Goals and assists have been spread around quite nicely, with Messi being our top scorer on 6, and Pedri leading the assists with 6. Tried to give as much game time as possible to Araujo, Pedri and Fati who have all had great starts - Pedri in particular has been immense and has outperformer De Jong comfortably. Moriba is getting minutes here and there, but I just haven't been able to squeeze him in. 

20210325142511_1.thumb.jpg.477f1e74f5475573fb2f6ce9fd9596a3.jpg

The bad news is that despite calling this thread the return of the King, Lionel is not exactly playing ball. He's played 13, scored 6 and assisted 3 at a 7.12 average rating - not a bad return considering I have him flexing between playing out on the right as an IF (A) and down the middle as my DLF (A), but not what I had hoped for. Worse still, I am currently unable to tie him down to a new contract, and look as though I may lose him at the end of the season. We have twice offered a 2 year deal at £650,000 a week (still absolutely mental money), but cannot afford the £850k that he is demanding. I would love to keep him around until he retires, and am willing to overpay to do it as I will push to move on the likes of Coutinho (£400k p/w until 2023), Dembele (£210k p/w until 2022), Griezmann (£600K p/w until 2024), Busquets (£275k p/w until 2023), Sergi Roberto (£175k p/w until 2022) and Umtiti (£210k p/w until 2023) to free up some cash. One of these will have to go in January if we are able to meet Messi's wage demands - I will keep you posted.

Would be interesting to hear what you would do. If we let him go at the end of the season, who would you look at to replace him? 

This is my tactic, and go to starting 11 at the moment. Things work nicely down the left hand side, but I'm trying to work out how I can tweak things on the right to make it a bit more productive.   

20210325144300_1.thumb.jpg.2cbfbd4c74645df1c79183f7811e1438.jpg

Cheers for reading guys. Interested to hear if anyone else has started a Barca game to see how they have gotten on. 

after not having had time to play. the time has now come again. starts with Barcelona today. going to use a 442. my plan is to sell some of the heavy boys and get rid of their pay. but do not think it will happen in the first season. and otherwise my plan is to use as many of the club's young players as there is a future in.

On 25/03/2021 at 16:49, Harrold said:

Worse still, I am currently unable to tie him down to a new contract, and look as though I may lose him at the end of the season. We have twice offered a 2 year deal at £650,000 a week (still absolutely mental money), but cannot afford the £850k that he is demanding.

I told my DoF to offer new contract for Messi and he accepted it. I don’t know how but he’s getting that 850k per week. 
He didn’t play that well so I dropped him to the MC advanced playmaker position. 

First season with Barca. Won La Liga, lost Champions league final to Man City. 

I rotated my team a lot. I gave lots of playing time to Pedri, Fati, Puig and Araujo. 

Second season transfers in:

Yusuf Demir

Lautaro Martinez

Youssoufa Moukoko

Out:

Coutinho

Junior Firpo

Edited by mefirst

23 hours ago, mefirst said:

First season with Barca. Won La Liga, lost Champions league final to Man City. 

I rotated my team a lot. I gave lots of playing time to Pedri, Fati, Puig and Araujo. 

Second season transfers in:

Yusuf Demir

Lautaro Martinez

Youssoufa Moukoko

Out:

Coutinho

Junior Firpo

Nice one! Where did you play Pedro and Puig, and what tactic did you play?

2 hours ago, Harrold said:

Nice one! Where did you play Pedro and Puig, and what tactic did you play?

Pedri plays very well in AML (inside forward / support) position. Sometimes I put Pedri to MC (mezzala) position. 
Puig did well at MC advanced playmaker. 

I use 4-3-3 DM. I can post my tactic later and some stats. 

Took over the Barcelona seat in 2029, after guiding Ajaccio to multiple French titles. The Barca finished 3rd in La Liga and were struggling in Europe.

One season after, Spanish champions yet again, and Champions League winners 29/30.

I rinsed all the old dead wood, and brought in world class players in each position.

Not many familiar faces in that squad, but 3-4 real players at least.

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 03.51.08.png

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 03.50.35.png

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 03.50.25.png

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 03.50.18.png

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 03.50.07.png

8 hours ago, Micks112 said:

Took over the Barcelona seat in 2029, after guiding Ajaccio to multiple French titles. The Barca finished 3rd in La Liga and were struggling in Europe.

One season after, Spanish champions yet again, and Champions League winners 29/30.

I rinsed all the old dead wood, and brought in world class players in each position.

Not many familiar faces in that squad, but 3-4 real players at least.

How is the financials in 2030? Still -20mil. euros per month 😅

18 minutes ago, mefirst said:

How is the financials in 2030? Still -20mil. euros per month 😅

I had a mere 200 million to buy when I took over. But I sold for nearly 400 million euros too. :cool:

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2021 at 19:50, Captain America said:

How do you fit all these kids into your team? Pedri, Demir, Fati and Akhomach all play the same positions. 

Fati is AML, I use Pedri as a MC/AMC, Demir and Akhomach as AMR. I usually sell Dembele as fast as I can and I don´t know why but I don´t like Trincão so I loan or sell him.

Edited by mefirst

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my first season with Barca and finished as La Liga champions, four points ahead of Madrid with a match to go. I know winning the title with Barcelona isn't a huge challenge, but it was satisfying. I was behind Real and Valencia (!) for about two-thirds of the season, then finished with a really solid unbeaten run the last three months of the year to overtake them and stay there. In addition, I had a Champions League run that, unfortunately, ended in the semis against Real. I had a four-match El Clasico in late-April, early-May, losing the Copa del Rey final and the Champions League, but beating them in La Liga that put me ahead for good. This first season had so many games crammed in, there was no time for rest and required lots of rotation. I really monitored Messi and made sure he was fresh for the title run-in, and I ended up getting good performances out of Griezmann and Dembélé up front (Fati was also crucial with 16 goals until he picked up an injury that cost him the last 3 weeks).

Defensively, I was very solid - in La Liga, my GF-GA was 92-17 for a +75 diff. However, in those cup matches against Real, it all turned to **** - a 5-4 extra time loss in the Copa del Rey final and a 5-1 aggregate in the CL - so that is definitely a focal-point for next season. Pique was a monster for me and my Player of the Season after Messi, and I rotated the other spot between Umtiti and Lenglet, both of whom were good if not great for the entire campaign. I immediately angered Umtiti by transfer listing him the night we won La Liga, hoping to get something from him and offload some of his wages. I currently have three left-footed defenders, and one will need to go if I'm looking to increase time on the field for Santos Mingo, Araujo and Todibo, who had a good season on loan at Benfica.

Pedri was really important for about a 7-match streak as a Mezzala-A, but then petered out and I couldn't get him over a 6.6 rating the rest of the campaign; I'm hoping he will explode and be more consistent next season. Moriba also got some good experience and I'm hoping for the same from him. 

I'll be looking to offload Coutinho, who was mostly average for me and not consistent enough, but did come through in big matches. Griezmann and I had a good repoire, but he's 30 and an €650k/week and I'll be looking to see if I can move him on as well. Messi signed a new deal in December and is down to €650k/week, and obviously still performing.

There are about 5 players I'm not sure what to do with, starting with Alena and Oriol Busquets. Pjanic was injured for most of the season and doesn't really fit in my plans. Jordi Alba is on the decline and was **** defensively. Sergi Roberto was actually great for me as a right wing-back, but his contract is up next season and I'm not sure I want to get tied into anything long-term.

One fun thing I've been doing is re-training Alena as an inverted left back for a total football approach, which sounds insane, but he has the attributes to do it. He has decent (13) crossing and great technique, but of course will need to improve his defensive abilities. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first season with Barcelona - using mainly the youngsters and rotating main players when needed.

Started without transfer windows but in January - Pique went to Liverpool for 11.75m, messi to psg for £32.5m, sergi Roberto to man United for £80m and jordi alba to arsenal for £31m

No idea how but we won the league unbeaten, supercopa and the copa del rey. Champions league we made it to the semis before Liverpool beat us in both legs.

Fabian luzzi finished top scorer 34 games 32 goals 2 assists 

Fati managed 34 games 20 goals 5 assists 

Pedri 36 games 12 goals 11 assists

Moriba 42 games 12 goals 8 assists

Gavi 38 games 5 goals 12 assists 

Typically the youth intake produced nothing major 

• 4 weeks later...

First season with Barca now done. I won the league easily, losing just once, but lost in the CL to PSG in the semis. Lost in the Spanish cup to Huesca after playing a second-string side who really didn't perform. Until the last 6 games both Hispalis and San Sebastian were in the CL spots in the league but they eventually missed out with Real, Valencia and Sevilla grabbing the 2-4 slots and Atletico Madrid down in 6th. Sevilla had a weird season, flirting with relegation early before replacing their manager and surging up the table.

Standout performers were Messi, leading the scoring and assist charts, Pedri managing double figures for both and Griezmann getting 23 goals in all competitions. The other youngsters did OK, with Fati having a particularly good season mainly as an impact sub. His ability to play up front as well as on the wing was really useful.

I didn't make any signings in my first season and there were no major players sold. Trincao had a successful loan spell at Man Utd and Todibo also did well. I signed Alaba and Garcia on free transfers and they arrive this summer. My plans for the summer are mainly to try to move on the ageing players on stupid wages. Coutinho had a decent season but PSG made a £70m offer for him so he's off to France next season, taking 400k off my wages. Lenglet is in talks with Man City. No idea why they want him as he wasn't that great last season but I'm happy to move him on with Garcia coming in and Todibo returning. I'm planning to get rid of Braithwaite and Griezmann too. Griezmann had a good scoring record but he was basically non-existent if he didn't score and his figures were boosted with 4 against 10-man Cadiz and hat-tricks against weaker sides. He had an 11-game goal drought and 600k a week is obscene for someone about to turn 30. I may try to shift Pjanic and Umtiti as well to free up wages.

The plan is then to bring in Haaland, Camavinga and de Ligt while allowing the youngsters more space to develop. Locatelli may be available too but I think he's a bit too similar to de Jong so my money may be better spent elsewhere.

Update:

Firstly, holy *&!£ Neto's on over £100k a week. What idiot agreed to that contract?!

Now that's off my chest, my summer sort of went to plan. I moved on Griezmann to Arsenal and Alba to PSG after a late bid. Alba leaving should allow Balde to develop nicely with Alaba slotting in as a direct replacement for Alba (that's confusing, isn't it?). I had planned to try to sell Umtiti, Pjanic, Dembele and Neto as well but I only ended up offloading Dembele after he refused to sign a new contract. I swapped him for Milinkovic-Savic, who went the whole summer on the transfer list with no takers. I also got rid of Braithwaite to Everton and a bunch of the rubbish youngsters for various amounts.

With the Lenglet and Coutinho deals brining in lots of cash I was able to sign Haaland before anyone else could make an offer. I also brought in Menino, Tonali (was going cheap and didn't want much in wages), Demir, Moukouko and Bellingham (Dortmund fans probably hate me now). Then, after a failed player-swap deal for de Ligt earlier in the summer after he refused to discuss signing because he'd just signed a new contract, his agent said he'd be interested in signing. So off I went back to Juve with a big cash offer and I managed to grab de Ligt. The fee was very high, as were his wages, but after the summer moves I've still got over £500k a week free in the wage budget.

The team is now well-stocked with youngsters but still has an experienced core with Pique, Busquets and Messi, as well as having players like Pjanic and Sergi Roberto around to help tutor the youngsters. We started really well, including Haaland grabbing 5 in the first CL game against Fenherbace. Hopefully next summer I can move on the last of the dead wood and start to develop the core of the team with the youngsters. Trincao has started well and Moriba's played a few games after Messi picked up a minor injury.

15 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

What are Barcas starting finances like? Are they poor like irl? 

They're OK. You actually still have room in the wage budget at the start, but a tiny transfer budget. I was given around £70m budget at the end of the first season and the finances are fairly strong. The biggest problem is generating transfer funds because pretty much every single player in the first team squad is overpaid by a huge amount and many of them are the wrong side of 30. Dembele and Umititi, for example, are earning over £200k a week so it's really difficult to move them on. If you can manage to sell them your finances will improve a lot because you can negotiate sensible contracts for the players coming in but it'll take quite a long time to do that.

The finances aren't as bad as they are IRL overall but they do present more of a challenge to deal with than being at a club like Man City who have a much more sensible wage structure and a younger team.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, wakesta said:

Who is the next Messi?

There isn't one. Messi is unique. At the start of my Barca save he was rated 5 stars in the STC, AMC and AMR positions and his attributes and PPMs are so ridiculous I think you'd probably be accused of editing if you got a regen to develop identically to Messi.

In the Barca team I think Pedri and Moraiba are pretty close to replacing him. I'm in my 3rd season and the plan from next season is to have Pedri play in the AMC position where Messi has been playing for me and have Fati play AML, which is Pedri's current position. Outside of the Barca team I think Foden could do a similar job and someone like Demir looks like he may develop into a good approximation of Messi as a wide player.

• 4 weeks later...

I have also started a "rebuild barca"  save focusing on getting rid of the aging over paid players and developing the likes of Pedri, Fati, Moriba etc

1st season i didn't bring any new players, then at the start of summer transfer window on June 9th 2021 i sold Coutinho, Griezmann, Alba to PSG 

Griezmann was tricky i had to offer a selling wage contribution of 250k or he would end up snubbing the PSG contract

Dembele sold to Man Utd , tried to offload Umtiti and Pjanic but no clubs were willing to match the wages even when offered to clubs for free 

Players in -  Alaba and Garcia on free transfers and Milinkovic-Savic 40M , Camavinga 52M, Moukoku 48M all with  50% of next sale to get lower transfer fee accepted as i will never sell them anyway , i also offer 50% sell fee during player contract negotiations as i find they will accept lower wages this way

This only left Messi on the crazy high wages , i let his contract run down then offered  a lower deal a week before expiry  which was rejected so i thought i would let him leave like IRL

on the day Messi's contract expired i offered a new contract and his opening wages demands were way lower and he ended up signed for 275K a week