Which contract takes priority?

So I have a player whose contract is expiring in the summer but has a 1 year extension if we gain promotion. We're looking good for promotion but he's signed a pre contract to leave in the summer. Should we gain promotion and the clause be activated will he stay another year or leave in the summer?

10 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

He's leaving. First condition (ability to leave) is already fulfilled so IMO he's out and new contract is already signed, it just has delayed start.

Yeah someone on reddit seems to agree. Damn! LLM can be cruel sometimes.

17 minutes ago, Andros said:

wow, interesting situation! sorry, i cant help here but i am interested in the answer!

I'll update at the end of the season :)

While I've never had this situation in FM, I'm fairly certain that in real life the clause would take priority as that was the first signed contract. Even if he only had 6 months left at one point, the moment you gain promotion the clause would trigger, regardless of whether he has signed a new contract elsewhere. Signing a pre-contract does not invalid his current contract and any potential clauses in that. So at that point he'd basically have 2 contracts going and with yours being the one signed first it would be the one that counts. I recall a similar situation with the Amin Younes drama from Ajax to Napoli, where he had a clause that'd extend his contract if he played a number of games, but he basically refused to play for a couple matches so he couldn't reach that number and move to Napoli.

44 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

While I've never had this situation in FM, I'm fairly certain that in real life the clause would take priority as that was the first signed contract. Even if he only had 6 months left at one point, the moment you gain promotion the clause would trigger, regardless of whether he has signed a new contract elsewhere. Signing a pre-contract does not invalid his current contract and any potential clauses in that. So at that point he'd basically have 2 contracts going and with yours being the one signed first it would be the one that counts. I recall a similar situation with the Amin Younes drama from Ajax to Napoli, where he had a clause that'd extend his contract if he played a number of games, but he basically refused to play for a couple matches so he couldn't reach that number and move to Napoli.

Yeah I must admit I'm a bit cheesed off that my contract doesn't take priority (if that indeed turns out to be the case). Ah well, you live and learn.

vor 49 Minuten schrieb FrazT:

To my knowledge, the original contract terms will take precedent over any later possible changes, so the deal for him to leave will be cancelled if you are promoted and then  take up the extra year option

+1. As far as I remember you will get a message that the transfer is canceled due automatic contract extension.