My netflix account has been hacked!

Hi,

discovered this morning that my netflix account has been hacked. Tonight at 1.56 am from somewhere in Colombia. He changed my password and the payment method.

I found out on my way to work so I can check only when I come home if I am still logged in from yesterday evening maybe.

Are there any recommendations on how to handle this or did anyone make the same experience perhaps?

Likely a result of credential stuffing and password reuse across systems.

• First step is to change your password using the "I forgot my password" function- https://www.netflix.com/gb/LoginHelp
  • Once logged in, go into your account settings and under the "Settings" header click "Sign Out of All Devices"
  • If you use the same password anywhere else - emails, banking etc then change it there as well. Use unique passwords, I recommend BitWarden for a password manager if you want somewhere to store them - https://bitwarden.com
  • Go to https://haveibeenpwned.com and see if you've been part of any publicly known data breaches. Again, change passwords where affected.
  • As a general rule, if a service allows it enable multi-factor authentication. You can use Google Authenticator, Microsoft have version too, there's also Duo by Cisco. An extra layer of security to stop things like this happening even if they get your password. App-based MFA is more secure than SMS or phone call based MFA due to SIM swapping attacks becoming more prevalent. 

Some weeks ago I discovered someone had been using my Netflix account - no idea who, but since the person saw "Princess Barbie Adventure" os so, I really assume that it wasn't one of my friends :D Didn't make much fuss about it, just changed the password.

Changing payment method does indeed sound weird though. But in any case, it's probably best to contact Netflix and tell what happened, instead of risking this thing backfiring at you later on :) 

3 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

Payment method will have been changed to use a stolen card. They won't be paying out of their own pocket because it's too easy for the authorities to track. 

So steal a card and steal/buy some leaked passwords just for a tenner a month for Netflix.

Edited by Paul Bacon
5 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Some weeks ago I discovered someone had been using my Netflix account - no idea who, but since the person saw "Princess Barbie Adventure" os so, I really assume that it wasn't one of my friends :D Didn't make much fuss about it, just changed the password.

A friend of ours left their netflix logged on, so we just decided to turn on a load of kids tv shows, fashion documentaries etc to try and mess with his recommended documentaries/films. 

Just now, Paul Bacon said:

So steal a card, steal/buy some leaked passwords just for a tenner a month for Netflix.

You can buy an identity, including card details, for around $2/small amount of cryptocurrency if you know where to look.  

Happened to me twice. The first time someone hacked my account and changed my password. Contacted Netflix and they were able to sort it out pretty quickly.

The second time I got hacked I just logged on and everything was changed to Arabic. Just had to change the language and password then. Netflix doesn't seem to offer 2FA at the moment.

19 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

Payment method will have been changed to use a stolen card. They won't be paying out of their own pocket because it's too easy for the authorities to track. 

So if @Carambau is still logged in from home, this might actually be a good deal for him :p :D 

I had this couple years ago but from Ecuador. Just contact them by telephone and it was sorted in 2 minutes. The annoying part was when I first logged on, all they had done so far was change language to Spanish :D So I couldn't see how to change it back, but Netflix changed it for me. They literally just went "Yea your last log in was England, then 4 hours later Colombia. We've reset password, and you should get an email now". Job done.

Thanks for the advice guys! Gonna contact the netflix hotline when I come home from work :)

4 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

So if @Carambau is still logged in from home, this might actually be a good deal for him :p :D 

If I think about it... yeah :D

It's 2021 and there simply should be a law that every major subscription service with such huge user base should have a phone 2FA.
Doesn't have to be mandatory if you don't want to use it, but there simply has to be an option.

If there's no 2FA I'll never have an ongoing subscription to anything, I just pay monthly and remove my card from payment methods on the account every time I re-sub.

Someone tries to log in from a new device? They also have to get the code from your phone authenticator.
So simple, yet effective against 99% of  attacks that aren't major breaches.

53 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Some weeks ago I discovered someone had been using my Netflix account - no idea who, but since the person saw "Princess Barbie Adventure"

Course they did mate ;)

2 hours ago, mark1985 said:

A friend of ours left their netflix logged on, so we just decided to turn on a load of kids tv shows, fashion documentaries etc to try and mess with his recommended documentaries/films. 

Unforgiveable!
giphy.gif

If the email on your account is the same, cant you just request a new password and reset it and sign everyone out?

If he has changed the email, has your own email box also been compromised.. maybe do some password admin across any accounts linked to that email?

2 hours ago, Paul Bacon said:

So steal a card and steal/buy some leaked passwords just for a tenner a month for Netflix.

Thats probably gold in Colombia.

Hes running a home cinema business from this :D

3 hours ago, bestbrother said:

If the email on your account is the same, cant you just request a new password and reset it and sign everyone out?

If he has changed the email, has your own email box also been compromised.. maybe do some password admin across any accounts linked to that email?

Yeah obviously my email box must have been compromised as well, so I changed the password there.

All good boys, I talked to the netflix hotline guy and told him to delete the old profile (that will teach them colombians!!! ;) ) and registered a new one under a different email adress :) 

Maybe had to do with this:

https://bgr.com/2021/02/05/data-breach-email-and-passwords-leaked-compilation-of-many-breaches/

Edited by Carambau
6 hours ago, mark1985 said:

So that's what probably happened :D 

This happens to my other half all the time.

Once my debit card details got hacked, and the hacker used them to set up multiple dating sites for himself. Was very tricky trying to explain that away

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

Yeah obviously my email box must have been compromised as well, so I changed the password there.

All good boys, I talked to the netflix hotline guy and told him to delete the old profile (that will teach them colombians!!! ;) ) and registered a new one under a different email adress :) 

Maybe had to do with this:

https://bgr.com/2021/02/05/data-breach-email-and-passwords-leaked-compilation-of-many-breaches/

Get 2 step authentication set up on your phone.