Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After some tactic advice. I like creating my own tactics, but I kinda suck at the execution. I can normally get a tactic working, but not how I want to play (if that makes sense?) SO...... I'm after some help/advice. I'm wanting to play a 2 striker system (thats my only request formation wise) with one provider, the other my main goal scorer.

I'm also looking for a goalscoring midfielder to be my secondary goal threat (think Lampard or to some extent Scholes type player).

Currently I'm thinking a 5-3-2 (or whatever its called now) may be best as a 4-4-2 with an attack minded CM would leave me vulnerable on the break? I also dont want possession for the sake of it, so not tiki-taka. Just defend solidly, win the ball in a mid-high block and hit teams on transition. If that doesn't happen THEN we keep the ball.

 

So assuming I get my other roles and duties etc correct does a Poacher/Treq make sense?

Initial thoughts (assuming we do go 5-3-2) would be BBM/BWM(S)/MEZ(A) - my thinking behind this is with 3 CDS I should be fairly solid so can allow my BWM to do his thing further up the pitch? The MEZ would be my goalscoring mid?

The balance of the 3 CBS is a bit of a new one on me, current thoughts are 2 outer CDs on defend duty, with either a BPD pn cover to give depth, or a libero (though Ive not used one before)?

WB's would both start on support to see how we got on.

This is very much on its infancy, I've started a new save so can somewhat mould my squad a little and develop it over time, but any suggestions are always welcome.

Other formations considered did include a 442 diamond, but my last attempt failed, miserably.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with 3atb I would still rather have the BWM on defend (or even change to a CM-D) just so he screens the backline a bit better but otherwise that seems like a solid midfield trio, poacher/treq should work, otherwise I think a DLF can suffice too, but I think that's a bit more dependent on the players available

The back 3 setup like that should be good too, never used a libero but in my head I think it is suited more to a 343 since he can carry the ball directly forward whereas in the 352 the central midfielder might get in his way a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I've never put a lot of effort into 3atb tactics or even 2 upfront, so I don't have much experience, but I've come across some teams on fm20 playing it. One of those that was particularly effective was Mansfield. They played something like:

ST-Strata: PF-D / AF-A

CM-Strata: BBM-S / BWM-D / CAR-S

DM-Strata: WB-A / WB-A

D-Strata: CD-D / CD-D / CD-D

Cautious mentality, I think.

Their WBs had 7 goals and 7 assists each by February and they had a lot of crossing chances but their strikers were mostly short so they didn't make much of it. Their AF was a pacey winger and he had many chances on the break as well.

It might be a starting point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so far,

 

14 hours ago, wixxi said:

Even with 3atb I would still rather have the BWM on defend (or even change to a CM-D) just so he screens the backline a bit better

Yeah I thought that, the support was mainly if I used a libero, forgot to mention that bit :lol:

 

1 hour ago, lfds89 said:

Cautious mentality, I think.

I was thinking, if anything to go the otherway, so my WBs affected play further forwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I play with a 442 with an attacking CM. 

             CFs--AF

WPs--CMd--CMa--WMs

WBs--CDd--CDc--IWBd

Positive Mentality

Counter, Distribute to center backs

Higher LOE, Higher DL, Prevent Short GK Distribution

Left side CD told to stay wider

CMa told to move into channels and take more risks

Helps if your WP has comes deep to get ball

Defend in a 442, build up in a 3-1-6

You can switch the IWB to support or attack duty if you want to play riskier

It helps if you have a really good team to do this but I'm sure my dropping the LOE and going to balanced mentality with more direct passing you could play with a mid-table to lower team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A system that I’ve got working quite well is a narrow 4-1-3-2. The setup looks like this:

                        TMs      PFa

              BBM       APs       BBM

                               Ad 

    WBa        CDd       CDd       WBa    
         
                             GKd

 

Mentality: Positive when at home, Cautious when away from home or against a bigger team. That alters a couple of my TIs as well.

TIs: Shorter passing (sometimes much shorter), play out of defence, Take Short Kicks, Distribute to centre backs and full backs, Counter, Force Opposition Inside, More urgent closing down, Get Stuck In (when playing away or against a bigger team),  Lower Line of Engagement (when playing away or against a bigger team).

I don’t have many Player Instructions on. I’ll often use Shoot Less Often to stop players taking absurd long shots. 
 

I also have experimented with Mezzalas and Carrileros either side of the Advanced Playmaker depending on what kind of full backs I have. So if I have an obviously attacking full back on one side and then one who isn’t as adept at attacking on the other then I’ll use a Mezzala on Support on the side with the weaker attacking full back and then a Carrilero on the side with the attacking full back. I’ll change the duties of the full backs accordingly (Wing Back Support or Full Back Attack for the less attacking full back and keep it on Wing Back Attack for the attacking one). 
 

I’m sure there will be people who are tactics experts who say that the formation doesn’t make sense and isn’t balanced and shouldn’t work. But honestly, it’s so effective. I’ve tried different saves with different tactics but this is the system I always come back to. It works a treat. And with the shorter passing game, the Target Man isn’t used to lump it forward to unless absolutely desperate. Also, lots of crosses happen. And I get goals from all three central midfielders, as well as the wing backs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2021 at 08:17, OrientTillIDie said:

A system that I’ve got working quite well is a narrow 4-1-3-2. The setup looks like this:

                        TMs      PFa

              BBM       APs       BBM

                               Ad 

    WBa        CDd       CDd       WBa    
         
                             GKd

 

Mentality: Positive when at home, Cautious when away from home or against a bigger team. That alters a couple of my TIs as well.

TIs: Shorter passing (sometimes much shorter), play out of defence, Take Short Kicks, Distribute to centre backs and full backs, Counter, Force Opposition Inside, More urgent closing down, Get Stuck In (when playing away or against a bigger team),  Lower Line of Engagement (when playing away or against a bigger team).

I don’t have many Player Instructions on. I’ll often use Shoot Less Often to stop players taking absurd long shots. 
 

I also have experimented with Mezzalas and Carrileros either side of the Advanced Playmaker depending on what kind of full backs I have. So if I have an obviously attacking full back on one side and then one who isn’t as adept at attacking on the other then I’ll use a Mezzala on Support on the side with the weaker attacking full back and then a Carrilero on the side with the attacking full back. I’ll change the duties of the full backs accordingly (Wing Back Support or Full Back Attack for the less attacking full back and keep it on Wing Back Attack for the attacking one). 
 

I’m sure there will be people who are tactics experts who say that the formation doesn’t make sense and isn’t balanced and shouldn’t work. But honestly, it’s so effective. I’ve tried different saves with different tactics but this is the system I always come back to. It works a treat. And with the shorter passing game, the Target Man isn’t used to lump it forward to unless absolutely desperate. Also, lots of crosses happen. And I get goals from all three central midfielders, as well as the wing backs. 

Do you not find your FBs get overloaded and out numbered though with a narrow formation?

On 16/02/2021 at 17:22, prched55 said:

I play with a 442 with an attacking CM. 

             CFs--AF

WPs--CMd--CMa--WMs

WBs--CDd--CDc--IWBd

Positive Mentality

Counter, Distribute to center backs

Higher LOE, Higher DL, Prevent Short GK Distribution

Left side CD told to stay wider

CMa told to move into channels and take more risks

Helps if your WP has comes deep to get ball

Defend in a 442, build up in a 3-1-6

You can switch the IWB to support or attack duty if you want to play riskier

It helps if you have a really good team to do this but I'm sure my dropping the LOE and going to balanced mentality with more direct passing you could play with a mid-table to lower team. 

Likewise, do you not get countered straight through the middle with the CM(a) getting caught out of position? With a 442 especially I found I had to use 2 relatively cautious midfielders (as in didnt venture too far forward) Or i'd get countered alot or not hold possesion well enough.

 

As I said the formation isn't an issue its more the playstyle.  :) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, daveb653 said:

Do you not find your FBs get overloaded and out numbered though with a narrow formation?

Occasionally, but I’ve always struggled to make an almost infallible system so them being overrun every now and then is something I’m willing to deal with. Especially as it seems to be quite potent going forward so I very rarely do goalless in matches. Also, my centre backs are good at dealing with crosses, plus the Anchor Man defends quite deep anyway to help out with crosses and midfield runners. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 02:44, daveb653 said:

Likewise, do you not get countered straight through the middle with the CM(a) getting caught out of position?

We do get countered on quite a bit but there should always be at least 3 people back to quickly transition to defense so we're usually fine. Plus the WM and WB protect the flanks in our defensive transition. It also helps if the CDco have high aggression and bravery so they get the long ball from the opposing striker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...