How to buy FM2012 ?

Hi,

I like to play old games, the ones I used to play when I had plenty of time to waste. I know them by heart, which makes it easy to reach a good level of performance without spending too much time on the handling phase.

Now I realize it's not on Steam anymore. I had FM2011, not 2012, so I still need to buy it. I googled it and found websites that sell cd-keys, but there's no guarantee to find a legit one. Plus the price is ridiculous.

It's really sad for oldies lovers that games just disappear from the market not even 10 years after they were launched. For instance, there's still a huge Diablo 2 community, a 21 y o game.

Anyway, thanks for helping me getting a way to buy and download this game. People are still making data updates for it so I guess there's an active communauty somewhere...

10 minutes ago, Philby00 said:

Hi,

I like to play old games, the ones I used to play when I had plenty of time to waste. I know them by heart, which makes it easy to reach a good level of performance without spending too much time on the handling phase.

Now I realize it's not on Steam anymore. I had FM2011, not 2012, so I still need to buy it. I googled it and found websites that sell cd-keys, but there's no guarantee to find a legit one. Plus the price is ridiculous.

It's really sad for oldies lovers that games just disappear from the market not even 10 years after they were launched. For instance, there's still a huge Diablo 2 community, a 21 y o game.

Anyway, thanks for helping me getting a way to buy and download this game. People are still making data updates for it so I guess there's an active communauty somewhere...

DVD version still available on Amazon UK

41 minutes ago, Philby00 said:

I thought it had only been issued on Steam. If I buy the DVD, can I activate/download it from steam ?

Sorry but I'm not used to steam at all.

There were boxed versions, which came with a DVD and a steam code.  As long as it's a brand new, sealed item the code should still be fine.

Thanks for your answers.

Is it possible to buy a key from someone that had stopped playing long ago ? Like, second hand (redeemed key) ?

Brand new ones cost around 50€, it's more expansive than this year's edition...

If someone is willing to do so, we can agree a price and I'll pay by Paypal.

Thanks

Edited by Philby00

6 minutes ago, Philby00 said:

Thanks for your answers.

Is it possible to buy a key from someone that had stopped playing long ago ? Like, second hand (redeemed key) ?

Brand new ones cost around 50€, it's more expansive than this year's edition...

If someone is willing to do so, we can agree a price and I'll pay by Paypal.

Thanks

Codes cannot be resold after being activated on Steam, so if anyone offers to do that, don't take it.

I doubt you will find anywhere else than the suggested things, other than someone having a code that they have not yet activated. And I'd be very wary of buying it of someone who claims that, because other than trying to activate it, I don't think there is any way to check if it's been activated already.

10 minutes ago, Philby00 said:

I found this guide, it seems to explain how to transfer a key to another account... Or I got all wrong ?

https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/204008710-How-To-Redeem-Steam-Keys

That just seems like how to get a key from that site and activate it in Steam, not transfer from another account.

8 minutes ago, XaW said:

That just seems like how to get a key from that site and activate it in Steam, not transfer from another account.

Yep.  Keys are non-transferrable once redeemed.

Your best bet is probably somewhere like Ebay.

I agree it's really unfortunate. But the older games can't be sold because of licensing reasons, so the only way to buy it is to get one purchased at the time which has never been used. That means there's a small and ever-shrinking supply, and therefore it's fairly expensive.

This Steam-only distribution concept is as bad as it sounded back in 2012. It's supposed to avoid piracy, but you end up in a situation where the only way to get the game - for people ready to pay for it - is the hacked version.

I think they should let people have it for free once it's not available for sale on steam, just like they did for CM01/02.

Edited by Philby00

12 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

DVD version still available on Amazon UK

I have just checked on Amazon now and there are new CD's available for FM16 onwards but nothing earlier.  They were available a few weeks ago, so maybe the supply of earlier games has now been exhausted,  There are used ones available, but as others have said the code could not be activated through steam.  There are ways around it, but not something that can be discussed on these forums