Jump to content

The Alan Shearer Stadium based in Sheffield? The Stoke Community Stadium? Why?


Recommended Posts

Something I'm interested to know is why over the years, the game adds new stadiums randomly. I saw in my save (2027) that the next Euros will be hosted in Scotland and Wales in 2028. Not England.

Why has a stadium been built called the Alan Shearer Stadium and why has it been built in Sheffield of all places? He has no affiliation to that area. No team plays at the stadium neither. And why was it built in 2023?

I was the manager of Stoke City and took them to the PL title in 2025. At the end of that season, the club decided they want to expand the Bet365 Stadium but not move out. Whilst construction works went on, for 1 season 2025/2026 we moved to the Stoke-On-Trent Community Stadium, built in 2024. Why was this stadium built? It is owned by the council, so why would a council build a new 42.2k stadium for no team to play in it? 1 year before we needed to "borrow" it for just 1 season.

Why would these stadiums be built at all is the question?
 

Alan-Shearer-Stadium-in-Sheffield

Stoke-on-Trent-Community-Stadium

Edited by ZWS
Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to be there purely to fill gaps. In Lollujo's Non League to Legend series this year, his Peterborough side played in some random stadium in Leicester for a year whilst they were waiting for a new stadium, but Leicester City were still playing at the King Power. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one in Stoke could potentially be used by Port Vale, but the world would be a very strange place in which they were needing a 42,000 capacity ground. 

Could be worth logging a bug report, historically whenever I've been Stoke and they've had to relocate its been to Hillsborough used to fill the gap, and later, Old Trafford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

They seem to be there purely to fill gaps. In Lollujo's Non League to Legend series this year, his Peterborough side played in some random stadium in Leicester for a year whilst they were waiting for a new stadium, but Leicester City were still playing at the King Power. 

Pure coincidence but I also did a long-term Nuneaton save the same as Lollujo, in FM17. While our new stadium was being built / renovated we played at the King Power for a season obviously as tenants of Leicester City. IIRC something similar in a Blyth Spartans save around FM13 time, I think we played at Middlesborough for a season.

Doing something like this is much more realistic than random short-term stadiums popping up.

I'm wondering though with Covid etc. that its had knock-on effects with fixture generation, so that it has been difficult to calculate a ground-share arrangement?

Edited by Lord Rowell
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 14/02/2021 at 15:27, ZWS said:

Something I'm interested to know is why over the years, the game adds new stadiums randomly. I saw in my save (2027) that the next Euros will be hosted in Scotland and Wales in 2028. Not England.

England don't have a monopoly on International Tournaments in Great Britain.

As long as Wales and Scotland have enough sufficiently sized stadiums then they won't need to use any of Englands.

There was talk a few year ago of Scotland, Wales and Ireland hosting the Euros (I think it was). They had enough stadiums between them with enough capacity so there was no need to ask England to be involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could a stadium in Stoke have been built for a tournament? I know that in some major tournaments nations have built new stadiums. Could it be a stadium built for, say, althletics but which can be used for football?

I'm clutching at straws though. It does seem a bit bizarre. The Alan Shearer stadium in Sheffield especially.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Celtic_1967 said:

England don't have a monopoly on International Tournaments in Great Britain.

As long as Wales and Scotland have enough sufficiently sized stadiums then they won't need to use any of Englands.

There was talk a few year ago of Scotland, Wales and Ireland hosting the Euros (I think it was). They had enough stadiums between them with enough capacity so there was no need to ask England to be involved.

While it's always nice to challenge the "lol scotland" calls, it's unlikely this will ever be the case now that the tournament is expanded.  To host a tournament, you need 3 50k seaters (one of which needs to be at least 60k), 3 40k, and 4 30k.  10 stadiums.  Scotland has decent options, but i'm sure they've always not been keen given that the three best ones are all in Glasgow.  Two you could get away with, but three?  Makes it tough to organise groups sharing a city (albeit Glasgow probably has enough capacity).  It's the lower range stadiums that any small country will struggle with though.  Of those 10 required, Scotland and Wales together would currently fill just 5.  You could maybe stretch to suggest Aberdeen could be boosted to make it 6, maybe Liberty Stadium too to make 7, but you're really struggling outside of that.  And if we're seeing a tournament held there in FM in even the next couple of decades, then I'd say that's probably looking pretty unrealistic.

Like it or not, any realistic bid is going to need England, and subsequently basically be "England + 'Friends'".  Even if you included both Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, you'd be short.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrPompey said:

I'd raise this in the bugs forum if you have a save just before this happened

Sadly not. I didn't realise until I first moved into the Stoke-on Trent Community Stadium. The stadium was built a year prior and the Alan Shearer Stadium two years prior (that stadium makes no sense at all). 

I may have uploaded a save previously when logging other bugs they can look at. If they're looking at this, it may be under Stoke SSN 4 ongoin.fm but I don't think it stretches back before the summer of 2024 (or 2023) nor do I have the save now so there isn't much I can do.

I wasn't sure whether to class it as a bug or just the progression of the game, but it does take the realism out of the game slightly and hope it's something that gets fixed for realism sake.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd expect a famous footballer to have an association with a key club or location and this could worked out by FM checking club appearances etc. I'd get it in the bugs forum even without the save as it could perhaps be recreated

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, forameuss said:

While it's always nice to challenge the "lol scotland" calls, it's unlikely this will ever be the case now that the tournament is expanded.  To host a tournament, you need 3 50k seaters (one of which needs to be at least 60k), 3 40k, and 4 30k.  10 stadiums.  Scotland has decent options, but i'm sure they've always not been keen given that the three best ones are all in Glasgow.  Two you could get away with, but three?  Makes it tough to organise groups sharing a city (albeit Glasgow probably has enough capacity).  It's the lower range stadiums that any small country will struggle with though.  Of those 10 required, Scotland and Wales together would currently fill just 5.  You could maybe stretch to suggest Aberdeen could be boosted to make it 6, maybe Liberty Stadium too to make 7, but you're really struggling outside of that.  And if we're seeing a tournament held there in FM in even the next couple of decades, then I'd say that's probably looking pretty unrealistic.

Like it or not, any realistic bid is going to need England, and subsequently basically be "England + 'Friends'".  Even if you included both Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, you'd be short.  

But we don't know what stadiums the OP has in his game. Perhaps Scotland & Wales have built enough stadiums.

Which means England are not required.

Which is what I was getting at when I said:

16 hours ago, forameuss said:

As long as Wales and Scotland have enough sufficiently sized stadiums then they won't need to use any of Englands.

So yes, currently Scotland and Wales would struggle but that is why the original plan included temporary extension of Pittodrie (and a couple of others) and the use of a couple of the stadiums in Dublin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The expanded World Cup requirements might be part of the reason the game seems to have some logic to occasionally build random new stadiums not needed by any team (sticking expensive stadiums on a team that can't afford to run them can ruin their finances...). 

In theory, the government could build a stadium for athletics or another sport in Stoke, though I agree they probably won't do. They have built two athletics stadiums and generously given them to Premier League clubs in the past couple of decades

 

 

Scotland also has Murrayfield and both the club stadiums in Wales plus several in Scotland could plausibly be extended to World Cup size if they really wanted to host a World Cup without England or Ireland

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Celtic_1967 said:

But we don't know what stadiums the OP has in his game. Perhaps Scotland & Wales have built enough stadiums.

Which means England are not required.

Which is what I was getting at when I said:

So yes, currently Scotland and Wales would struggle but that is why the original plan included temporary extension of Pittodrie (and a couple of others) and the use of a couple of the stadiums in Dublin.

Which is also why I added that even though we're talking about FM, we'd have to be a long, long time in the future where it was particularly realistic.  But if we start pulling that thread...

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Which is also why I added that even though we're talking about FM, we'd have to be a long, long time in the future where it was particularly realistic.  But if we start pulling that thread...

Fair point. Let's leave it at that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...