Question about RAM and game processing speed

i've got a PC  with i5 processor and gtx 1050 graphic card. anyway i've got only 8GB RAM.

im playing with alot of graphics and big database in FM21 and i wonder if i will upgrade the RAM to 16GB  it will improve the processing speed of the game ? 

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Style:

i've got a PC  with i5 processor and gtx 1050 graphic card. anyway i've got only 8GB RAM.

im playing with alot of graphics and big database in FM21 and i wonder if i will upgrade the RAM to 16GB  it will improve the processing speed of the game ? 

"More" RAM doesn't increase speed, but faster RAM (for example: 3200Mhz is slower than 3600Mhz) with tighter timings (CL18 is slower than CL16) does.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Daveincid said:

"More" RAM doesn't increase speed, but faster RAM (for example: 3200Mhz is slower than 3600Mhz) with tighter timings (CL18 is slower than CL16) does.

Cheers

I have a i5 4670K CPU and 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (CL 8) but FM21 is running quite slow :( what would be the better investment? New CPU (which automatically includes new Mobo & RAM) or would faster RAM help enough too? (f.e. 2400Mhz)?

11 minutes ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

I have a i5 4670K CPU and 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (CL 8) but FM21 is running quite slow :( what would be the better investment? New CPU (which automatically includes new Mobo & RAM) or would faster RAM help enough too? (f.e. 2400Mhz)?

I’ve got exactly the same setup, you’d be better served saving for a new PC.

DDR3 ram prices are ridiculously high for marginal gains

check out the benchmark thread for the best performing processors 

11 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

I’ve got exactly the same setup, you’d be better served saving for a new PC.

DDR3 ram prices are ridiculously high for marginal gains

check out the benchmark thread for the best performing processors 

Thanks for your reply. In October I have the chance to get a new laptop/desktop through the job for a sharp discount but of course I'm too impatient :p I thought about upgrading CPU but then I would need to replace Mobo & RAM at the least (f.e. i7 -9700K with 16Gb @ 2933 ) would set me back 450€ . And getting anything for the current setup (I do have 2 GPU's so could throw in 1 in the Upgrade Set) above 150€ would be a nice bonus I think.

It's a pity though 'cause my system can run most games, even recent ones, at decent fps & resolution and photoshop etc still works fairly well. It's only FM21 frustrating me because it becomes so sluggish after a few seasons. Even made me halt my Youth Academy challenge :( 

Edit: I tried Benchmark A twice, once before OC'ing my CPU and once after, the difference was half a minute on 4 min orso. Memory fails and I was a bad boy as I didn't post in the benchmarking thread

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

1 minute ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

Thanks for your reply. In October I have the chance to get a new laptop/desktop through the job for a sharp discount but of course I'm too impatient :p I thought about upgrading CPU but then I would need to replace Mobo & RAM at the least (f.e. i7 -9700K with 16Gb @ 2933 ) would set me back 450€ . And getting anything for the current setup (I do have 2 GPU's so could throw in 1 in the Upgrade Set) above 150€ would be a nice bonus I think.

It's a pity though 'cause my system can run most games, even recent ones, at decent fps & resolution and photoshop etc still works fairly well. It's only FM21 frustrating me because it becomes so sluggish after a few seasons. Even made me halt my Youth Academy challenge :( 

Surely with the youth academy challenge you only need to run 1 nation with a small database?

15 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Surely with the youth academy challenge you only need to run 1 nation with a small database?

I'll check later but  I think I used the "balanced save game" thread as reference and had some other leagues running in the background. But I do know I disabled them after 2 seasons or so because the game was getting too slow.

Just finished Benchmark A , took him 3 min 9 sec , no idea how to interpret that.

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

3 hours ago, Daveincid said:

Cheers

i've got something like 2100Mhz is that good enough?

• SI Staff
12 minutes ago, Style said:

I realy wouldn't worry about RAM speeds, it will have a really minor impact in FM (and most games tbh)

3 hours ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

I'll check later but  I think I used the "balanced save game" thread as reference and had some other leagues running in the background. But I do know I disabled them after 2 seasons or so because the game was getting too slow.

Just finished Benchmark A , took him 3 min 9 sec , no idea how to interpret that.

I’ll benchmark mine later to have a check for you

vor 1 Stunde schrieb EdL:

I realy wouldn't worry about RAM speeds, it will have a really minor impact in FM (and most games tbh)

In my testings I had a 7% speed-increase from default 1800Mhz to 3600Mhz. Of course it's not the world, but back in times of Intels domination a 7%-increase was a whole CPU-generation:lol:

• SI Staff
8 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

In my testings I had a 7% speed-increase from default 1800Mhz to 3600Mhz. Of course it's not the world, but back in times of Intels domination a 7%-increase was a whole CPU-generation:lol:

I can't really imagine many people are going to get close to doubling their setup though

1 hour ago, EdL said:

So if I were to upgrade my PC would you say (for FM sake) that a mobo supporting upto 2666Mhz is more than good enough and no need for higher RAM speed support? I'm currently considering a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 setup or a i5-10400 setup. Slight preference for the AMD setup since there current CPU's seem to perform better.

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

So if I were to upgrade my PC would you say (for FM sake) that a mobo supporting upto 2666Mhz is more than good enough and no need for higher RAM speed support? I'm currently considering a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 setup or a i5-10400 setup. Slight preference for the AMD setup since there current CPU's seem to perform better.

If I were buying a system today I'd probably look for at least 3000, but its not exactly going to be end of the world

• SI Staff
Just now, Daveincid said:

this was only with activating the XMP-Profile in BIOS, same hardware:)

Sounds very much like the system wasn't setup right then, if you had 3600Mhz ram only running at 1800 :o

vor 16 Minuten schrieb EdL:

Sounds very much like the system wasn't setup right then, if you had 3600Mhz ram only running at 1800 :o

I'm confused, loading XMP-Profile is a simple way to improve RAM-speed in BIOS. It wasn't loaded by default. But anyways, there are 2 3950x in the benchmark-thread, one is mine, you even see there that a faster RAM helps a little. Of course there are a lot of other factors, but in all my testings I have seen a noticeable speed-increase with fast RAM.

Edit: especially in very heavy loaded setups like benchmark C or D. For small setups it really doesn't make a difference

Edited by Daveincid

• SI Staff
17 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

I'm confused, loading XMP-Profile is a simple way to improve RAM-speed in BIOS. It wasn't loaded by default. But anyways, there are 2 3950x in the benchmark-thread, one is mine, you even see there that a faster RAM helps a little. Of course there are a lot of other factors, but in all my testings I have seen a noticeable speed-increase with fast RAM.

Edit: especially in very heavy loaded setups like benchmark C or D. For small setups it really doesn't make a difference

I just mean people are asking about buying faster RAM / supprting motherboards, and the value of thats different to you already having 3600Mhz RAM you'd bought but clearly it didn't come configured correctly if it was only running at 1800.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy 1800Mhz RAM (if that even exists), but then also I wouldn't recommend 3600 generally either as the cost/gain isn't that great. 3000/3200 is probably more of the sweet spot last time I checked.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb EdL:

I just mean people are asking about buying faster RAM / supprting motherboards, and the value of thats different to you already having 3600Mhz RAM you'd bought but clearly it didn't come configured correctly if it was only running at 1800.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy 1800Mhz RAM (if that even exists), but then also I wouldn't recommened 3600 generally either as the cost/gain isn't that great. 3000/3200 is probably more of the sweet spot last time I checked.

I can only refer to what I have seen in my tests and what I read in the internet/youtube. There are bechmarks which show the differences from 3200Mhz to 3600Mhz to 3800Mhz to 4000Mhz in several games, It definetly makes a difference, otherwise I really don't see a point in buying/producing quick RAM at all?

IMO it's a cheaper way investing money in faster RAM instead of a new CPU where you sometimes even need a new MOBO?

2 hours ago, EdL said:

Yeah I don't disagree with you.. I don't think we are really understanding each other - I am talking about a cost / return perspective

Would depend on what you were starting with I suppose I just upgraded mine and posted on the benchmark thread, for £70 of new ram I’d say the gains were wholly worth it! 

Am 14.2.2021 um 20:28 schrieb DJ Sir Matthew:

For AMD you want RAM speeds of 3200 to 3600 as above 3600 makes it slower for running in a desync mode sort off and higher speed is easier to get than better timings that only improve performance if set extremely agressive.

I use my R5 3600 with 2x16GB DDR 4 G-Skill Blackjaw V Black 3600 (matches the 1800 MHz Memory Bus speed 1:1) CL18 - nowadays you will get CL16 for the same money and runs the maximum freq. AMD can handle in a 1:1 speed mode.

Edited by Etebaer

You are using 8GB RAM. This is substandard at the moment. I'd generally recommend 16GB, not only for Football Manager. You operating system and browser will already use half of your 8GB. So your actual usable RAM is more like 4GB.

Upgrading RAM is cheap, so before you do anything else, plug in 8 GB more RAM (ideally same speed, brand and model as your existing one). 

Regarding FM, reading through the benchmark thread I am under the impression that FM favors highly parallel CPUs. Like i7 > i5. So in case you upgrade, make sure your model is good at multi- (or hyperthreading). Many parallel cores. Many parallel processes.

RAM speed is usually negligible. This brings 2-3% at best. It's more important to be in tune with your CPU and board.

Edit: So unless your current RAM is DDR4-1600 and your Motherboard and CPU both support DDR4-3200 (or something similar extreme), I wouldn't bother upgrading Ram speed. Plus Afaik your RAM matches always the lowest speed. So it is no use, to add som higher speed RAM. 

If you say which exact CPU and board you use, this would be easier. Both support certain RAM speeds. The board also has a certain chipset and supports certain CPUs. So the first question is always what does your current setup support. 

Edited by Flinsenberger

5 hours ago, Flinsenberger said:

You are using 8GB RAM. This is substandard at the moment. I'd generally recommend 16GB, not only for Football Manager. You operating system and browser will already use half of your 8GB. So your actual usable RAM is more like 4GB.

Upgrading RAM is cheap, so before you do anything else, plug in 8 GB more RAM (ideally same speed, brand and model as your existing one). 

Regarding FM, reading through the benchmark thread I am under the impression that FM favors highly parallel CPUs. Like i7 > i5. So in case you upgrade, make sure your model is good at multi- (or hyperthreading). Many parallel cores. Many parallel processes.

RAM speed is usually negligible. This brings 2-3% at best. It's more important to be in tune with your CPU and board.

Edit: So unless your current RAM is DDR4-1600 and your Motherboard and CPU both support DDR4-3200 (or something similar extreme), I wouldn't bother upgrading Ram speed. Plus Afaik your RAM matches always the lowest speed. So it is no use, to add som higher speed RAM. 

If you say which exact CPU and board you use, this would be easier. Both support certain RAM speeds. The board also has a certain chipset and supports certain CPUs. So the first question is always what does your current setup support. 

Hey mate thanks for the answer.

i've got i5-8500 3.00GHz CPU and micro-star Z360-A PRO board. so upgrade with another 8GB of RAM will improve processing speed? 

i've got no intention to buy new pc cause im not really gamer but i wonder if some little change like adding more RAM will help the processing speed of FM cause i like to play with big graphics packs and big databases 

46 minutes ago, Style said:

Hey mate thanks for the answer.

i've got i5-8500 3.00GHz CPU and micro-star Z360-A PRO board. so upgrade with another 8GB of RAM will improve processing speed? 

i've got no intention to buy new pc cause im not really gamer but i wonder if some little change like adding more RAM will help the processing speed of FM cause i like to play with big graphics packs and big databases 

No, 8GB extra RAM will not improve processing speed.  It will enable you to have more programs running at once and so drastically reduce the possibility of getting an out of memory error.

Although 8GB RAM would be seen as sub-optimal, you can still get by on 8GB RAM for most daily applications.

14 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

No, 8GB extra RAM will not improve processing speed.  It will enable you to have more programs running at once and so drastically reduce the possibility of getting an out of memory error.

Although 8GB RAM would be seen as sub-optimal, you can still get by on 8GB RAM for most daily applications.

I saw massive gains going from 8gb to 16gb, windows 10 computers use 40% of 8gb just in idle leaving just over 4gb to run the game, definitely not enough these days.

is the 8gb single or dual channel? As in 1 stick or 2 x 4gb? I think there’s a few different factors which means you shouldn’t automatically dismiss a ram upgrade as having no impact on processing times. 

im definitely not saying you will 100% see massive gains however it’s definitely worth researching because there’s also a chance you will see an improvement.

Just now, Boroboss said:

I saw massive gains going from 8gb to 16gb, windows 10 computers use 40% of 8gb just in idle leaving just over 4gb to run the game, definitely not enough these days.

is the 8gb single or dual channel? As in 1 stick or 2 x 4gb? I think there’s a few different factors which means you shouldn’t automatically dismiss a ram upgrade as having no impact on processing times. 

im definitely not saying you will 100% see massive gains however it’s definitely worth researching because there’s also a chance you will see an improvement.

It won't improve processing speed in FM - this has already been confirmed by the devs on this very thread.

6 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It won't improve processing speed in FM - this has already been confirmed by the devs on this very thread.

So can a dev confirm that going from single channel 8gb ram to dual channel 16gb ram has 0 effect cos if so I just bought some magic ram :brock:

8 minutes ago, Boroboss said:

So can a dev confirm that going from single channel 8gb ram to dual channel 16gb ram has 0 effect cos if so I just bought some magic ram :brock:

You will see certain gains in doing what you've done, just not in speed of the game processing.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

You will see certain gains in doing what you've done, just not in speed of the game processing.

The benchmarks would suggest otherwise, I’m not talking about a few seconds that could be explained by other factors. Benchmark A saw an improvement of 24 seconds and B was 3m21s. I saw an instant improvement on all games and general performance of the laptop after the ram upgrade but those gains must be explained by something else?

any suggestions other than the blanket statement that over the thousands of laptop and desktop configurations 8gb of ram in any format is more than enough? 

19 hours ago, Style said:

More RAM is better than faster existing RAM.

If I was you I'd use a smaller db and wait until October for your new machine just before FM22

You want to process through days quicker?  All down to CPU really. RAM just gives your PC more headroom to handle multiple tasks at once, really. It does not make FM go through days quicker. So if you have multiple programs open, going from tab to tab will seem smoother and snappier, and you'll see  less "hang/lag" between screens

Also if upgrading RAM, make sure your mobo will accept the amount of GB/RAM you are putting into it, and will accept the RAM speed (mhz)  

Otherwise if you buy RAM at a speed which is above your mobo limit, it'll clock down.   ie. If your mobo will take 3200mhz max, and you buy 3600mhz, itll run at 3200mhz.   

Short story is, find out max speed of RAM your mobo takes, and go from say, 8gb to 16.   16 is plenty, tbh.   Setups with like 64gb, is just overkill and not necessary, really.  IMO of course.

But if you simply want to go through days quicker, and load more leagues etc you'd need a better CPU aswell.    I7-9700K i have, with 16GB DDR4 (not sure of ram speed on this machine tbh) and it whizzes through days with ease.  80 odd leagues loaded, custom DB of 300k players or so.

Edited by ChelseaSince86

1 hour ago, zep81 said:

That is the problem I always have when starting a new save; Just how many leagues etc my computer can actually load. As I know the game speed stars arnt a good indication.

If you have time create a new save, soak the save e.g. age it 4-6 years or something, whatever you game time normally starts getting to then speed play through half a season, to gauge if the performance is acceptable. You can go on holiday and let it age and do something else then come back and run through it for a period of time

The key bit is what speed is acceptable to you, this will likely be different for someone else. Often when watching the game changing from extended highlights to key highlights will speed up your time going through a season

2 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

You want to process through days quicker?  All down to CPU really. RAM just gives your PC more headroom to handle multiple tasks at once, really. It does not make FM go through days quicker. So if you have multiple programs open, going from tab to tab will seem smoother and snappier, and you'll see  less "hang/lag" between screens

Also if upgrading RAM, make sure your mobo will accept the amount of GB/RAM you are putting into it, and will accept the RAM speed (mhz)  

Otherwise if you buy RAM at a speed which is above your mobo limit, it'll clock down.   ie. If your mobo will take 3200mhz max, and you buy 3600mhz, itll run at 3200mhz.   

Short story is, find out max speed of RAM your mobo takes, and go from say, 8gb to 16.   16 is plenty, tbh.   Setups with like 64gb, is just overkill and not necessary, really.  IMO of course.

But if you simply want to go through days quicker, and load more leagues etc you'd need a better CPU aswell.    I7-9700K i have, with 16GB DDR4 (not sure of ram speed on this machine tbh) and it whizzes through days with ease.  80 odd leagues loaded, custom DB of 300k players or so.

thanks for answer. 

is the amount of graphics effect how fast the game will proccess ? or its only database matter ? 

I've been wondering about the same as I want to buy a new laptop for FM21 Touch. Just wondering if anyone can answer me on this.

Im planning on buying the Touch version and I usually like to only load three or four leagues at once. I dont mind turning down the in-game graphics to low or medium and I only play in the 2D classic match engine. Having a small database isn't a problem either. Would a decent laptop with either Intel Core i3 or i5 or an AMD prosessor (Athlon and newer) with 4GB RAM play the game somewhat smoothly? This PC will only be used for FM and some schoolwork, aswell as browsing the Internet of course. I have a Macbook Air from 2015 which played the full FM20 game surprisingly fine, but the heat and loud fan noise kinda ruined the experience. Will I get the same problem if I choose the core i3 or i5 or an AMD prosessor? 

Cheers!

Edited by Ollie92

2 hours ago, Style said:

thanks for answer. 

is the amount of graphics effect how fast the game will proccess ? or its only database matter ? 

If you're talking graphics packs, such as logos, kits, player faces etc, this *may* affect processing speeds - I've not seen it confirmed one way or the other.

If you're talking having higher settings for the 3D match graphics, then this does not affect processing speeds between matches.  All this will affect is how hard your GPU needs to work to keep up a steady frame rate during matches.

1 hour ago, Ollie92 said:

I've been wondering about the same as I want to buy a new laptop for FM21 Touch. Just wondering if anyone can answer me on this.

Im planning on buying the Touch version and I usually like to only load three or four leagues at once. I dont mind turning down the in-game graphics to low or medium and I only play in the 2D classic match engine. Having a small database isn't a problem either. Would a decent laptop with either Intel Core i3 or i5 or an AMD prosessor (Athlon and newer) with 4GB RAM play the game somewhat smoothly? This PC will only be used for FM and some schoolwork, aswell as browsing the Internet of course. I have a Macbook Air from 2015 which played the full FM20 game surprisingly fine, but the heat and loud fan noise kinda ruined the experience. Will I get the same problem if I choose the core i3 or i5 or an AMD prosessor? 

Cheers!

4GB RAM will run the game, but ideally you want to be aiming for 8GB or more to ensure you don't run low on memory.  

In terms of heat and fan noise, these are all down to how hard the CPU is working to process the game.  The CPU will generate heat, and the fans will work harder to keep the CPU from cooling.

A weaker CPU will need to work harder to keep the game processing.  But in truth, FM will often work the CPU as hard as the CPU will allow, meaning a certain amount of heat and fan noise is probably inevitable, especially for busy days in game.

People on the Apple Silicon thread have said that the new M1 based Macbooks seem to run more or less silently, even with FM, but there's also report of crashes on those machines as well.

If you want to look at buying a new laptop and want some advice, your best bet is to post on the new laptops thread, and post your budget along with the FM setup you're looking for and any other things you'll be using the laptop for.

2 hours ago, Style said:

thanks for answer. 

database size and obviously the ability of your CPU.  How fast is it to begin with etc. 

I only have the cut out faces installed and dont notice any slowdown at all. I have had logos in the past and still didnt notice any difference... But in the preferences, setting your graphics quality higher than your PC/laptop is capable of, would cause lag/frame issues on screens where there is moving graphics for instance;

Match engine, the little video clips of how a player role works, and that kind of stuff.  You "may" notice a little lag when entering the press conferences, meetings, etc too,  due to background graphics, but im not 100% sure of that one. 

If It was me and i simply wanted to be able to load more leagues and players, and still have a quick game, id be looking at upgrading my CPU.  Thats what does all the processing work.  To improve the processing, you'd have to improve whats driving it.   Or simply run a small db with 1 league for example

Edited by ChelseaSince86

24 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

4GB RAM will run the game, but ideally you want to be aiming for 8GB or more to ensure you don't run low on memory.  

In terms of heat and fan noise, these are all down to how hard the CPU is working to process the game.  The CPU will generate heat, and the fans will work harder to keep the CPU from cooling.

A weaker CPU will need to work harder to keep the game processing.  But in truth, FM will often work the CPU as hard as the CPU will allow, meaning a certain amount of heat and fan noise is probably inevitable, especially for busy days in game.

People on the Apple Silicon thread have said that the new M1 based Macbooks seem to run more or less silently, even with FM, but there's also report of crashes on those machines as well.

If you want to look at buying a new laptop and want some advice, your best bet is to post on the new laptops thread, and post your budget along with the FM setup you're looking for and any other things you'll be using the laptop for.

Thanks for the reply Kev!

So, I would be experiencing noise and heat either way, if I choose a low budget PC with a mediocre prosessor. As long as it doesnt make as much noise and heat up as much as my Mac Air, then I be good. Just wanted to hear peoples experience who play this game with a low end PC and with mentioned specs.  

3 hours ago, Ollie92 said:

Thanks for the reply Kev!

So, I would be experiencing noise and heat either way, if I choose a low budget PC with a mediocre prosessor. As long as it doesnt make as much noise and heat up as much as my Mac Air, then I be good. Just wanted to hear peoples experience who play this game with a low end PC and with mentioned specs.  

I've played the game on a laptop with an i3-5010u processor. It's not a great experience. Heat and noise isn't too bad but the speed of processing is very slow. 

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I've played the game on a laptop with an i3-5010u processor. It's not a great experience. Heat and noise isn't too bad but the speed of processing is very slow. 

I see. Probably best to buy a PC with an i5 prosessor then? Thats what I can afford aswell.

Just wondering about one more thing, if you dont mind answering. The i3 prosessor you mentioned, with a U behind the four letters. I've read somewhere on the FM reddit page that you should avoid any prosessor with a U behind the four letters, and instead go for the letters HQ. I've come across PCs with G1 at the end. Is that like the U or HQ, or something in between? 

Im not tech savy at all so apoligize for any dumb questions. Just want to get a decent PC for FM, but also a PC I can have for the next few years. 

Cheers mate!

Edited by Ollie92

wow i was sure that graphics packs (yes i mean faces, logo, kits and etc) effect the processing between days but its good to know its not really true and its all about the CPU power. 

thanks for everyone who replied, it became interesting thread lol 

3 hours ago, Ollie92 said:

I see. Probably best to buy a PC with an i5 prosessor then? Thats what I can afford aswell.

Just wondering about one more thing, if you dont mind answering. The i3 prosessor you mentioned, with a U behind the four letters. I've read somewhere on the FM reddit page that you should avoid any prosessor with a U behind the four letters, and instead go for the letters HQ. I've come across PCs with G1 at the end. Is that like the U or HQ, or something in between? 

Im not tech savy at all so apoligize for any dumb questions. Just want to get a decent PC for FM, but also a PC I can have for the next few years. 

Cheers mate!

Not necessarily - i5 covers a very wide range of processors.  Some are excellent.  Some are not.

The U at the end of a processor model number means Ultra Low Power - you'll often see these in laptops.  It means they use less power, so will improve battery life.  The flip side of it is, they don't tend to perform as well as desktop CPUs (although, again you have to look at each one individually as some U processors are actually very capable).  

Other letters mean all sorts of different things.  Again, best thing to do is to seek guidance on the laptop thread if you're unsure what to get, but want to buy something.  I've learned about PC specs through reading up on them, and also making some expensive mistakes in laptop purchasing in the past.

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Not necessarily - i5 covers a very wide range of processors.  Some are excellent.  Some are not.

The U at the end of a processor model number means Ultra Low Power - you'll often see these in laptops.  It means they use less power, so will improve battery life.  The flip side of it is, they don't tend to perform as well as desktop CPUs (although, again you have to look at each one individually as some U processors are actually very capable).  

Other letters mean all sorts of different things.  Again, best thing to do is to seek guidance on the laptop thread if you're unsure what to get, but want to buy something.  I've learned about PC specs through reading up on them, and also making some expensive mistakes in laptop purchasing in the past.

Thanks again Kev! Really appreciate it. I've purchased a PC with an i3 prosessor and 8 GB RAM. Hope it will do for FM. Only thing im confused about is the GHz. The GHz is at 1.20 at default, but goes up to 3.20 at max boost. I have no idea if this is good or bad, but hopefully it works out.

Cheers!

Thanks again Kev! Really appreciate it. I've purchased a PC with an i3 prosessor and 8 GB RAM. Hope it will do for FM. Only thing im confused about is the GHz. The GHz is at 1.20 at default, but goes up to 3.20 at max boost. I have no idea if this is good or bad, but hopefully it works out.

Cheers!

In all honesty, you probably should have sought advice.

In all likelihood, the PC you've purchased will run the game.  But with the base clock speed being quite low (SI recommends a clock speed of 1.8GHz or more for FM), you may see the clock speed going to the lower base level if the CPU heats up under load, and this may see performance suffer.

Still, this does present an interesting opportunity to benchmark how these processors perform in FM. 

Once you have your PC and have everything set up, it'd be really handy if you could follow the instructions in the benchmarking thread and post your results.  Then we can see how these types of processor perform with the game.

Cheers!

As Kev said you should have asked but one crumb of comfort for you is that the base speed of my tablet I run FM on is only 1.20Ghz (you can see it in the preview for the benchmarking above) and I run all of England and Wales leagues comfortably.

That reminds me, I really need to benchmark my own PC's!

If you do the benchmarks, don't be disheartened by the times, only compare it to other laptops and to be honest only do Benchmark A.

Edited by Brother Ben

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

In all honesty, you probably should have sought advice.

In all likelihood, the PC you've purchased will run the game.  But with the base clock speed being quite low (SI recommends a clock speed of 1.8GHz or more for FM), you may see the clock speed going to the lower base level if the CPU heats up under load, and this may see performance suffer.

Still, this does present an interesting opportunity to benchmark how these processors perform in FM. 

Once you have your PC and have everything set up, it'd be really handy if you could follow the instructions in the benchmarking thread and post your results.  Then we can see how these types of processor perform with the game.

I see. Well, luckily the store provides a 14 days trial period. If it turns out that FM runs horribly on this PC, then I will just return it and get my money back. Will try and update on the benchmark thread.