Total Control: FM21

33 minutes ago, Panneton0 said:

Hey buddy!

This is uncanny!

Feel free to share this thread and tactic as much as you want. The more people get to experience, comment on and tweak this playstyle to their liking the better! :D

For clips and screenshots, I strongly encourage you to check out @RDF Tactics's showcase of this tactic (check higher up in the comments!). He did a breakdown of the tactic that help seeing how it goes! If you want more I can check out how to upload clips... haha

I will DM you for more info on my Boston Utd save ;)

Cheers! :D

Brilliant!

I will look at that and I will update my thread then update it straight after with a link to this one. This is great to see on the forums so many positive threads and people enjoying each other's content and having success. 

haha looking forward to comparing notes on the save!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Il y a 3 heures, w_x a dit :

1400 passes in a game with PSG, pretty outstanding

This is sorcery! Hahahah. Was it against a 10th division youth team in a friendly or did you just humiliate a fellow Ligue 1 manager?

Il y a 2 heures, PeacemakerBR a dit :

Hi @Panneton0, congratulations on the tactic. Nice job. Any news about the update to 21.4?

Working on it, but for now, many tweaks slightly change the STYLE itself, which I don't want. I'm looking to keep the general playstyle while getting better results. I think I'll post my V3.2 later (not yet V4 since I'm not 100% convinced it's better), but still worked a bit on reducing yellow cards and optimizing set pieces....

Version 21.4.0 is up!

I call it the "Gentlemen version". It's not necessarily that much better than V21.3.0, but for those who are tired of having too much yellow cards in their season (I personally hate being that goon team that wins by breaking legs...), this is for you!

I've seen a lot of tweaks, adjustments, comments from different users and I can't thank you all enough for the help bringing this playstyle to the next level.

What's different?:
- Stay on feet + Some PI variations. I've always wanted my team to play clean football, with less cards. First and foremost, because I'm a softie and I don't want talented players to get hurt. On a tactical level, I want to avoid having to make substitutions based on suspensions or based on fear of suspension. With this new approach, I had the chance to stop replacing both my DC in the middle of the game... and actually sub in my offensive players for more punch late game. Finally, the tactic is as "aggressive" as ever when out-of-possession, aiming at high-pressure and getting back the ball BETWEEN players instead of at their feet. You press, they have to make a quick decision. Since their tactic won't ever have the structure to help them make that decision (like Total Control does), most likely they'll try a pass that your players can intercept. Never need to go to the ground, you outsmart them. Clean team, still wins !

- Set pieces: Some tweaks to strengthen the capacity of getting back possession if the set piece fails to find your dangerous players in time.

2 hours ago, Panneton0 said:

This is sorcery! Hahahah. Was it against a 10th division youth team in a friendly or did you just humiliate a fellow Ligue 1 manager?

Working on it, but for now, many tweaks slightly change the STYLE itself, which I don't want. I'm looking to keep the general playstyle while getting better results. I think I'll post my V3.2 later (not yet V4 since I'm not 100% convinced it's better), but still worked a bit on reducing yellow cards and optimizing set pieces....

It was against Reims, a Ligue 1 match!

@Panneton0 I just wanted to thank you for this great tactic. I am using it and I like a lot what I see. I usually try someone's tactic just to see and learn, but then I always end up creating my own, which more fun for me. But this time, I liked this one so much that I kept it and I'm still working with it in a new long term save.  At the beginning it seemed a bit too narrow to me so I changed one of the IWBs into an FB (but still behaving as a sort of IWB -narrow and cutting inside). Also I changed the F9 into a Trequartista. I am still tweaking a few things but nothing that really compromises that way it plays and, as I said, it's really really good. So, just to say thank you. 

As I will inevitably modify it over time (due to new players coming in), if I'll find something interesting I'll share it. OKAY?

Il y a 13 heures, DNZ-8 a dit :

@Panneton0 I just wanted to thank you for this great tactic. I am using it and I like a lot what I see. I usually try someone's tactic just to see and learn, but then I always end up creating my own, which more fun for me. But this time, I liked this one so much that I kept it and I'm still working with it in a new long term save.  At the beginning it seemed a bit too narrow to me so I changed one of the IWBs into an FB (but still behaving as a sort of IWB -narrow and cutting inside). Also I changed the F9 into a Trequartista. I am still tweaking a few things but nothing that really compromises that way it plays and, as I said, it's really really good. So, just to say thank you. 

As I will inevitably modify it over time (due to new players coming in), if I'll find something interesting I'll share it. OKAY?

Fantastic!

You're more than welcome to share any version you find interesting or efficient! My initial goal was to provide a "template" for a good-looking possession football tactic. I'm actually glad you find it interesting enough to build your own version based on it.

Cheers!

Could I bring the 2nd AP down into the CM strata keeping the same pi’s without it negatively affecting the tactic? 

or could I even offset the F9 to the left rather than central? 

7 hours ago, Whelan102 said:

Could I bring the 2nd AP down into the CM strata keeping the same pi’s without it negatively affecting the tactic? 

or could I even offset the F9 to the left rather than central? 

Worth a try. I have changed the inverted wing backs to Complete Wing Back Attack and it hasn't affected the possession stats whilst adding a new dimension of width in attack. I play as Rangers so having Barisic and Tavernier it made sense to play to their strengths and they both hit ridiculous stats for goals and assists first season.

23 hours ago, StewG said:

Worth a try. I have changed the inverted wing backs to Complete Wing Back Attack and it hasn't affected the possession stats whilst adding a new dimension of width in attack. I play as Rangers so having Barisic and Tavernier it made sense to play to their strengths and they both hit ridiculous stats for goals and assists first season.

Just make sure you remove the underlap on left and right team instructions or it will conflict with the player instructions. Agree though that with Rangers having Wing Backs or Complete Wing Backs are much needed and don't lose that possession stats. 

I want to use this tactic with Barcelona, and make some minor changes, but I’m still pretty new to the game so I’d like some help.

Basically, I want to change both the IWBs into CWB(s), the BWM into an Anchor or HB, the F9 into a T, and the right IF into an IW(s). What kind of tactical changes would I have to make? Obviously remove the underlapping on the left and right, but replace it with overlapping instead? And what else could I change in order to make the tactic fit the player roles better?

thanks in advance.

Edited by ozumbaran

Weirdly, all notifications just... stopped so I couldn't see your reply @ozumbaran

With Barça, I suppose you must have much fun with this tactic! :)

Both IWB to CWB is generally a loved swap from many users. For underlapping/overlapping, I'd say it's worth checking how the game plays out. Remove underlapping for sure. But ticking the overlapping instruction may lead to too many "dead-end" scenarios where you get no other choice but cross the ball from close to the end of the field, which is not an ideal scenario with the kind of teams that fits this playstyle. So look at your games and make sure your CWB act accordingly to the philosophy.

BWM to Anchor I never truly been a fan, but HB could be a good idea! Especially if your IWB-->CWB, then your HB will drop and help your central defenders spread a little. IWB tend to sit where DC would sit with a HB, so the switch makes sense!

As for the F9 into a T, I've noticed little less impactful one-two's. I personally tried F9/T switches here and there and I am a big fan of the F9 dynamic, he gives more options for your AMC and it translates into less long shots. It's all dependent on your roster and team selection, so feel free to share your results! :)

Hi @Panneton0 I'm really struggling to get any consistency out of this tactic. Certainly struggling with creating clear cut chances, even against the smallest sides in the division. Generally, my playmakers aren't creating enough, and my forwards aren't getting in behind the defense. At the back, we seem to give up a lot of chances too. I'm playing with my Southampton team that has finished no lower than 3rd in the last 4 seasons, narrowly missing out on the title, and won the champions league 2 years ago, so we're a good side. Attribute wise, we are also well suited to a possession style and generally meet the attributes that you've highlighted. Curious though, as to what kind of level you would expect for an English Premier league title challenger, as clearly we're not quite cutting it with this tactic, though we're keeping the ball very well, generally with a pass success rate over 90%. Cheers. 

Il y a 2 heures, jammysammy92 a dit :

Hi @Panneton0 I'm really struggling to get any consistency out of this tactic. Certainly struggling with creating clear cut chances, even against the smallest sides in the division. Generally, my playmakers aren't creating enough, and my forwards aren't getting in behind the defense. At the back, we seem to give up a lot of chances too. I'm playing with my Southampton team that has finished no lower than 3rd in the last 4 seasons, narrowly missing out on the title, and won the champions league 2 years ago, so we're a good side. Attribute wise, we are also well suited to a possession style and generally meet the attributes that you've highlighted. Curious though, as to what kind of level you would expect for an English Premier league title challenger, as clearly we're not quite cutting it with this tactic, though we're keeping the ball very well, generally with a pass success rate over 90%. Cheers. 

Hi Jammy,

I've tried the tactic in many leagues and I can confirm that the EPL seem to be the toughest league with this tactic. I'd say that the main point being the huge number of highly physical and fast strikers/wingers in the EPL. Usually have a really hard time in the later stages of the season, when opponents start sitting and waiting for a counter-attack.

You could try a couple of those, which seem to work well in this situation:
- Drop the defensive line one-notch
- Get your IWB --> CWB/WB for little bit more crosses in
- Use v3 instead of v4 so you tackle harder. You'll get more cards, but should restrain a little bit more the opponents chances.
- Make sure you get the tactic familiarity to max level

If those do not help, you may need to adjust the tactic on a more fundamental level. The framework still works (as you have good passing rate and possession), but feel free to experiment around it, mainly on some specific player instructions. I usually get a lot of nice through balls from my AMC and MC to the F9 and IF, but if you do not, take the time to watch full-length games to see why that is.

If it's about lack of movements from the IF/F9, try to field attackers with more "off-the-ball", or simply faster ones. Weirdly, sometimes a good attacker won't make the run because they are so good that they know the chances are low. Sometimes, a faster, more "basic" attacker can do better than a smart one... kind of have to test them and see which one gives you the best chances per game. In my save, I sold my star striker and keep fielding my youngster simply because he scores every single game :P

If movements in front are good, but your AMC/MC keep doing lateral passes even when the strikers try for a run behind the defenders, you can always "take more risks", or field a midfielder with more "vision" and "decision". Passing and technique are actually less important than those 2 from what I've seen.

Other than that, all I can say is "good luck" and I truly hope you'll find the tweak that gives your side the glory it deserves! :)

Disclaimer:

I just saw that Total Control V21.4 was tested on FM-Arena.com with an absolutely ABYSMAL result. So do not despair if you have bad results, this is not a tactic that seems to fare well at all if left unattended.

Confirms my point saying that it is not a plug-n-play tactic at all. Play it for the beauty of it. For actually good results, you MUST tailor your team and adjust things to your reality ;)

Newbie here.  This tactic + video + chat  thread has enticed me to choose your tactic as my entry into FM21.  My first save will be Sevilla.  Goal is to squeeze into Europe by finishing 4th in La liga.  

When facing the two powerhouses Barca & Real Madrid is there a simple team tweek or adjustment I should do to improve Sevilla's chances against elite teams?

Wow. What beautiful football this can play. Or a derivative of this tactic, anyway. Like you say: it's far from plug and play, and I found it didn't have enough penetration for me, so I changed the wide attacking midfielders to IF(a), the forward to CF(a), and the central midfielder to an RPM(s), and found that it both did little to stop the beautiful passing but also gave it a bit more oomph in the final third. My away from home version of it has the forward as a CF(s), the central midfielder as an RPM(s), and drops the AP(s) in the attacking midfield slot back to a central midfielder playing CM(s), while dropping the LoE and DL back just to higher, which I found gives it a bit more defensive solidity while not sacrificing too much going forward. I'm in 2047 having played the same save with the same team since the day the beta came out - just selling off my older player and buying new hot prospects to train them up, and normally changing tactic every year to get something new -  and I hate dribbling and just want passing, so I've long since given all my players PPMs only to 'Run with the ball rarely', but to 'Play short simple passes', 'Play one-twos', 'Look for the pass rather than the shot' and 'Like the ball played into feet', which means the IF(a) doesn't run with the ball and instead contributes to all the fluidity and roaming happening around them, creating some beautiful football. Thanks man, much appreciated. This tactic (or, like I say: my very close derivate of it) has rekindled my love of FM21 :)

On 16/04/2021 at 20:34, FarisMee said:

Newbie here.  This tactic + video + chat  thread has enticed me to choose your tactic as my entry into FM21.  My first save will be Sevilla.  Goal is to squeeze into Europe by finishing 4th in La liga.  

When facing the two powerhouses Barca & Real Madrid is there a simple team tweek or adjustment I should do to improve Sevilla's chances against elite teams?

I can upload my away version of the tactic which gives me more defensive solidity if you want? Though its efficacy might be dependent quite specifically on the particular players I have, I don't know, but you could give it a go if you want?

3 hours ago, MAsterix85 said:

I can upload my away version of the tactic which gives me more defensive solidity if you want? Though its efficacy might be dependent quite specifically on the particular players I have, I don't know, but you could give it a go if you want?

Yes sir upload it.....

7 minutes ago, MAsterix85 said:

Can't promise they'll work for anyone else, but these work well for me

47 Away.fmf 43.9 kB · 1 download 47 Home.fmf 43.87 kB · 1 download

But just as the creator of the original tactic warned that theirs wasn’t plug’n’play, neither are these...I make adjustments game on game, and regularly throughout each game too.

2 hours ago, jeromethestone said:

Wow !! With the original tactic 21.4.0 ???

Yup on 21.4. The only change I made is Complete Wing Backs on attack to get the best out of Tavernier and Barisic. I use Positive mentality against Celtic and in Europe against big clubs and switch to Very Attacking in most other games in the league and cups. To hold a lead I use Cautious, switch wing backs to support and Waste Time. Getting it fluid and your team cohesion to excellent makes a big difference. I have found you can make small tweaks without losing the possession and movement. It is an excellent base tactic. All credit to Panneton0.

Edited by StewG

Glad to see some people are using this as a base for their own tweaks! This is what Total Control is all about, a tactical DNA on which you build your own style and tweaks :)

@alp52 Feel free to test this tactic and any tweak you feel necessary! Hope you'll enjoy it!!

@jeromethestoneI have nothing new to bring at this point mainly because 21.3 and 21.4 are, to me, as good as a "base tactic" can be. I tweak it regularly, but without much change on the tactical style it brings. Those new tweaks are more about fitting my new players, or countering specific teams. The best I can suggest is to check out the different comments on this thread which show how people modify their own versions and try some of them for yourself in case they may upgrade your results :)

@StewG Awesome results mate! And smart tweaks considering your players. I love my centerfield-sitting IWB so much that I can't bring myself to putting them as CWB.. But from what I read on many threads is that... I should :D 

Love watching this tactic play out.   I've switched the DM to a Regista & CM to BWM.   The Regista I'm muchly pleased with.  The CM I haven't given much attention to.   What role do you guys envision the CM to be to compliment the DM regista?

il y a 5 minutes, FarisMee a dit :

Love watching this tactic play out.   I've switched the DM to a Regista & CM to BWM.   The Regista I'm muchly pleased with.  The CM I haven't given much attention to.   What role do you guys envision the CM to be to compliment the DM regista?

With a regista, the dynamic will change a little and I'd change the CM to Roaming playmaker of B2B midfielder. The reason is that normally, your AMC should run around your MC, who should remain relatively stable to provide a sure pivot to your overall formation.

With DM as a regista, his forward-mindedness should make HIM become your pivot, but a little bit deeper. That way, you may need your MC have a similar movement to your AMC to make sure your Regista gets the variety of options your MC usually gets with the "default" formation.

That's my take on it anyway, I've never tested it. But you should definitely give it a go :)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2021 at 12:18, StewG said:

Done the quadruple in Season 4 with Rangers. Beating AC Milan in the Europa League final. Excellent work.

On course for another quadruple in season 5. Incredibly I'm into the Champions League Semis against PSG. Won the group then knocked out Dortmund and Inter so far. I'll report back later! But a great season regardless, Rangers up to 15th in the European rankings 😄

On 05/05/2021 at 08:41, StewG said:

On course for another quadruple in season 5. Incredibly I'm into the Champions League Semis against PSG. Won the group then knocked out Dortmund and Inter so far. I'll report back later! But a great season regardless, Rangers up to 15th in the European rankings 😄

Had to settle for a Treble, knocked out PSG in the Semis and lost the final on penalties to Man United, absolutely destroyed them as well, 60% possession, 33 shots on goal, hitting the bar and post several times. I hate De Gea as well :lol:. Loving this level of achievement with Rangers playing possession football and scoring gloriously beautiful goals, last few years has been exploit tactics and set pieces so it is a nice change indeed.

1 hour ago, StewG said:

Had to settle for a Treble, knocked out PSG in the Semis and lost the final on penalties to Man United, absolutely destroyed them as well, 60% possession, 33 shots on goal, hitting the bar and post several times. I hate De Gea as well :lol:. Loving this level of achievement with Rangers playing possession football and scoring gloriously beautiful goals, last few years has been exploit tactics and set pieces so it is a nice change indeed.

@StewG, can you share your tweak? Thanks!

23 hours ago, PeacemakerBR said:

@StewG, can you share your tweak? Thanks!

Here you go. Start most games with Positive, use Attack against weak opponents or when you need a goal and Waste Time to see out games.

When away to big teams I suggest starting with a Cautious mentality depending on who you are playing as (not the waste time tactic just change mentality from Positive to Cautious), as Rangers this has got me away wins at Inter, Dortmund, PSG and Bayern to name just a few.

The changes I have made to the original tactic is adding Complete Wing Backs with Overlap instead of Under, changing to a Standard Defensive Line which has cut down on conceding on the counter or long balls over the top and I added different set pieces.

Enjoy, i hope it works for you. All credit for the original goes to Panneton0.

Waste Time.fmf Attack.fmf Positive.fmf

On 07/05/2021 at 09:57, StewG said:

Some screenshots while I am here.

20210505205503_1.jpg

20210505223900_1.jpg

20210505224022_1.jpg

I know that I have never been able to produce an effective possession-based tactic with that many one-twos and center-pitch domination in FM20. I never tried THIS tactic though, so maybe I just got better at tactics-crafting during the year XD

Il y a 4 heures, Icetuga a dit :

My browser is flagging the download links as a threat to the system, would like to try it but this alert just comes up with this links.

You may look into that

Strange. There seems to be no problem here.

I can't really help unfortunately as the file is hosted by sigames and the format itself is locked by the FM standard :P

I linked the 21.4 version here, maybe try this? If it doesn't work, you'd better check with the moderators :| 

TotalControlV21_4_0.fmf

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Panneton0:

I can't really help unfortunately as the file is hosted by sigames and the format itself is locked by the FM standard :P

I linked the 21.4 version here, maybe try this? If it doesn't work, you'd better check with the moderators :| 

TotalControlV21_4_0.fmf 43 kB · 13 downloads

This works without warning thx:thup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2021 at 02:34, Panneton0 said:

TotalControlV21_4_0.fmf 43.86 kB · 23 downloads

Have heard a lot of great things about this tactic on a few different sites and I know it’s annoying but I beg can someone please share the player instructions to this tactic the main version as I have to play on FM 21 touch on iPad as I don’t currently have access to a laptop or PC so can’t download any tactics, I have to manually input them so need the player instructions for this tactic, anyone??? Would be massively appreciated so I can give this a go and build a legacy of great football 😁

• 2 months later...

Im having difficulty making my players develop with the instructions you give. And i am in Manchester City with all 5 star coaches and insane training facilities. You said to put the F9 to train in attacking but there is only a F9- S option. What do you recommend? Also for the other positions , do you still maintain the original advice? Thank you , big fan !

On 09/08/2021 at 03:11, Krynz said:

Im having difficulty making my players develop with the instructions you give. And i am in Manchester City with all 5 star coaches and insane training facilities. You said to put the F9 to train in attacking but there is only a F9- S option. What do you recommend? Also for the other positions , do you still maintain the original advice? Thank you , big fan !

He means attacking movement under individual training.

10 hours ago, Egecann said:

He means attacking movement under individual training.

Where do you see he says attacking movement? Im talking about this..

SK - A

BPD - D

IWB - S

BWM - S

DLP - S

IF - S

AP - S

F9 - A

These are the individual roles that he tells you to do , but the F9 role doesn't have the attacking option.

Edited by Krynz

About the training, that was actually a typo. Should read F9-S. As Krynz said, it's about the role, not additional individual training. My bad, I corrected it in the OP.

@Egecann You point something important here that I totally forgot to mention: the individual training. Thanks for bringing it up!

What I usually do is actually NO individual training as a rule of thumb, to maximise potential gain toward the role-spectific stats of my player. On the odd occasion, if there's a particularly bad attributes for one player that is NOT highlighted with his role in the training screen and that I feel this player should need, then and only then I give him an individual training that affects that particular attribute.

On that point, I believe @RDF Tactics could help you more as his is to my knowledge, one of the best training-oriented FM player ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my first season with Manchester United using the Panneton0 ball.
What a great tactic! Ive tested different high position tactics and this one is by far the best.
Won almost everything with outstanding stats and some wonderful goals.
Only problem I faced was against 3CDs tactics before I decided to use different tactics against these teams.
I would like to know if anyone tested different roles.

stats_ 1st season _ team possession.jpg