Total Control: FM21

Total Control 22.2.0
4-2-3-1 Highly entertaining - High Possession - High Success - Not Plug'n'Play

See below for the general tactical DNA.

First version for FM22... and yes, it starts with version 22.2.0

22.1.0 was actually the last version for FM21 that I directly imported, with little success.... Somehow, the new ME leads to more possession in your own half instead of just in the face of the opponent's defenders.

Total Control 22.2.0 propels your FM22 team into a true Total Control spirit, with

- Full blown control of the game: 60%+ possession
- Maximum possession in front of the box, center field
- High number of passes between central midfielders (DM / AMCs)
- Actual attacking intent, with through balls and dribbles
- Highly frustrating: Low-to-none xG from the opponent

--
Obviously, this tactic is not perfect. None is. It is highly NOT plug-and-play. The main reason is that the "roles" of the players on the pitch are not exactly what the "description" of their roles is. I had to change the roles and instructions so that the players actually acted the way I wanted on the field, even if the text wasn't pointing toward it. You then truly need to check your players stats since a "good" defender according to the game for this position may not be your actual best choice!

image.png.1bce998fc9b713e30b9061a1d302fb60.png

Screenshot: With FC Utd of Manchester. I tried the tactic with top-tier teams and mid-tier ones too with similar success. Always with the need to carefully pick your players!

-- Player Selection --
For player selection, as a rule of thumbs, you will ALWAYS need to have good stats (even for defenders!) for:
- First touch
- Decision
- Vision
- Off the ball
- Positioning

This is an extremely high-tempo tactic, where the players will need to think and act fast. Without those stats, expect mistakes. And if you make mistakes, just like any possession tactics, you will pay dearly. The actual numbers needed depend on your league level. Aim for those stats to be at least above average. You can deal with lower speed, which is usually a stat that boost the price of players.

Remember, the Match Engine provides a complex fast-paced and intricate decision making process for your team as a whole. Sometimes, an attribute not listed here (may it be high or low) can make a player unsuited for the tactic because it sligthly affects his split-second decision toward something you don't want for the tactic to work. My thoughts about this? Don't buy 100M$ players... get a couple of lower-priced guys and try them out. Or better yet, train them yourself. Team cohesion > Individual stats anyways.

Specifically:
SK-De: You want an agressive keeper with good communication. Since most of the opportunities from your opponents will come from breakouts and one-on-one, no need for him to actually be a good "shot stopper"! Good aerial reach may also help for corners and such, as usual.

Priority: Communication, Aerial Reach, One on Ones, Rushing out, Anticipation, Decision, First touch

CD-De: Your defenders are your last hope at killing the counter-attacks and also need to be able to recycle possession. They will be used in the passing game so they need not to panic and kick the ball far away. They also need to think fast since them losing possession is a 80% chance of getting scored against...

Priority: First Touch, Marking, Anticipation, Decision, Positioning, Pace, Jumping Reach (for set pieces)

IWB-Su: Not your typical lateral defender. They will be sitting near the center of the pitch and become passing options during attacking movements. They are amongst the prime creators because, unlike the APs, they are usually marked with less rigor. You need smart players but again, other managers in the game will value fast lateral defenders almost exclusively, so you should be able to get one that is smart and just somewhat fast... or train one!

Priority: First touch, Marking, Anticipation, Decision, Off the Ball, Positioning, Acceleration, Pace

BWM-Su: This guy does everything. He'll receive a lot of passes, especially when your opponent starts parking the bus. Forward passes will become trickier, so the team will look to go through him, with some one-twos, to unlock spaces. With his role, he'll also be on the lookout and jump on the adversary whenever possession is lost. Get yourself an all-star here and he'll solidify the tactic.

Priority: First touch, Marking, Agression, Anticipation, Concentration, Decision, Off the Ball, Positioning, Work rate, Acceleration, Strength, (Long Shots)*

* The long shot attribute shouldn't be a priority, but it's a good-to-have. The reason is that no one should actively try to shoot from afar, but when the opponent starts parking the bus, your players may have no choice at some point. And from what I've seen, the one with the best opportunities to do a long shot with an actual good line-of-sight to the goal is your BWM. Mine scores a screamer every other game and it helps when my opponent tries to frustrate me :)

AP-Su (In AMCL position): One of the toughest position to find someone suitable. This AP will be surrounded, always, by adversaries and teammates alike. He is the one who needs the best Vision and Decision making skills since he'll have sooooo many options and dangers around him. If he makes the right decision, you'll win. If he doesn't, your team will be pressured into mistakes more often, and this tactic is not forgiving ;)

Priority: First touch, Composure, Concentration, Decision, Vision

AP-Su (In AMCR position): This guy will move around the other AP to give him some passes opportunities. So a little more movement is needed from him (everyone covers a lot of ground with this high-intensity tactic, but this guy needs his movements to be efficient for him to have actual value in the setup). He will move and do some one-twos with his partner in MC position. He needs to act fast, again, to avoid loss of possession.

Priority: First touch, Decisions, Off the Ball, Vision, Work Rate, Acceleration, Agility

IF-At: They will help with the possession, just like everyone. But you also need them to understand when the opportunity for a goal is unfolding. Someone needs to score at some point and your IFs will most probably be your best bet!

Priority: First touch, Finishing, Composure, Decision, Flair, Off the Ball, Vision, Acceleration, Agility

F9-Su: This is by far the most complex role out there. You WILL want to try different players and see which one does what you want. The balance of selfishness and teamwork is hard to get. Some "better" players may not be the best here... You really need someone who'll drop in the middle to help with possession and surprisingly gets forward for no reason at some point to unsettle the defensive line. This guy needs to be unpredictable for the adversary... which also kind of means I'm not sure what is the recipe for success! Here is what my best options had in common over my tests:

Priority: First touch, Finishing, Dribbling, Composure, Flair, Off the Ball, Acceleration, Agility

All players: Finally, this is a high-tempo tactic... which means you need all your players to have good stamina. An other thing I can tell, is that good roster depth is important. Even with good stamina, you will need to rotate your selection once in a while. That and to deal with suspensions because unfortunately you will accumulate a lot of yellow cards (haven't had much reds though, so that's good).

-- Tactical concept --

The tactic will provide extreme possession in front of the opponent box, with fast short passes to keep possession without risking being closed-in. The lateral players will come inside on attacking movement while go wide on defense. While this may seem counter-intuitive, the best counterattacks need to go through non-used space to be fully effective, so widening up when you lose possession actually translates in faster pression on the counter-attacking opponent, at a point where a fine-tuned team will actually get to the ball before the opponent get to it, almost always.

It is well known that possession for possession sake is a bad and fruitless approach. The "attacking" mentality helps trying to actually create chances and get some through balls and shots in when the opportunity is decent!

-- How to tweak the tactic during the game --

At the start of the season, opponents may try to attack against you, which will lead to easy wins. As soon as they realize you have a dangerous approach, they will most probably park the bus and hope for a break. With this tactic, one break can kill your game as they will have a lot of space behind your defenders. You need to monitor how you lose the ball, even at the FIRST highlight where you see a counter-attack. They will have one or two of those in the game... so correct whatever is needed.

If the problem is that you players took too much time with ball at their feet and got tackled, you can actually abuse and get up to "very attacking" mentality. You may lose the ball more, but for goal kicks, instead of counter attacks. Goal kicks are not as dangerous since you will be regrouped and get possession back more easily.

If the problem is more "long passes" intercepted wastefully, bring down the mentality to "positive" or even "balanced".

Other than that, just be alert and tweak individual instructions according to the problem you're witnessing!

-- Results --

The game you want

image.png.34ce978b5ddad6bec223709465f21722.png

Where does the magic happen?

image.png.4dc04b35f46602d14276a730cc55daa7.png

-- OI and training --

OI: Do not let your AssMan do it. I leave it all blank, but sometimes push a little "tackle harder" or "press more" on the opponent fastest striker if he is breaking my line too easily. Other than that, OI simply disrupt the general idea of being "in charge" of the game

Training: I let my AssMan do the General Training (Better use your own, but I'm a tactics guy... I couldn't do good trainings even if my life depended on it). For individual training, I do positional training for where I will use the player, with those roles:

SK - A

BPD - D

IWB - S

BWM - S

IF - S

AP - S

F9 - S

As you can see, some positions are "trained" not with the role they are used in for the tactic. This is because the role has been tweaked for the actual behavior to correspond to my team play philosophy, but the attributes I want to work on are not necessarily the ones highlighted for the player role.

-- Your input --

Please feel free to try it out and comment with your personal tweaks! This is what I call wonderful football. It is not a "game engine breaking tactic" and needs intelligent input not to fall into the "frustrating high-possession yet losing to a 21:1 ratio of shots" category of tactics ;)

TotalControl.fmf

TotalControlV21_2_0.fmf

TotalControlV21_3_0.fmf

TotalControlV21_4_0.fmf

TotalControl_V22_2_0.fmf

Edited by Panneton0
New version

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Il y a 4 heures, Augustin1979 a dit :

Results?

Hi there!

I added a little bit of infos (in the original post) on my first season in the Canadian Premier League (shortened season). I'm currently in a season in Vanarama North with Boston United with the same tactic. I'll try to update with those results also :)

• Panneton0 changed the title to Total Control 21.1.0

If anyone is trying it out and actually enjoying the tactical style, Switching the AM role to Advanced Playmaker makes him even more involved in the passing game in the center. Results are mainly unchanged, but I felt like it tweaked it even more toward what I wanted! :)

Hi, i'm trying it with Pisa in seria B. The pourcentage of possesion is perfect but the unique problem i'm looking is my centrals diffenders, they suffer from long balls behind their back which gives a 1vs1 with the goalkepper everytime. 

Thank you for this beautiful style to watch. :)

And sorry for my English ma first language is the french :)

Edited by Giacch

il y a 51 minutes, Giacch a dit :

Hi, i'm trying it with Pisa in seria B. The pourcentage of possesion is perfect but the unique problem i'm looking is my centrals diffenders, they suffer from long balls behind their back which gives a 1vs1 with the goalkepper everytime. 

Thank you for this beautiful style to watch. :)

And sorry for my English ma first language is the french :)

Hi Giacch! Since this is a public and generally english-speaking forum, I'll answer in english, but french is my first language too :lol:

1v1 against your goalkeeper are unfortunately a real struggle that I have too. I managed to minimize this problem. I'm still getting one of those once in a while... it's unfortunately hard to avoid. As I mentioned, this tactic is amazingly beautiful (to my taste), but is not perfect for easy wins... If it can help you, this is how I reduced those occasions:

Since we play far from our own goal, we leave that space behind. I do not recommend getting your line lower or you will have a harder time keeping possession. The only true way to limit 1v1 against you, with this particular tactical philosophy, is not to lose the ball, or control how and when you do. I had many of those in the beginning until I decided to actually put defenders that were more technical. Those defenders helped my midfielders when they were in trouble, while more "physical" defenders were nowhere to be found. Midfielder then lost the ball due to pressure and that's where you get those breakouts.

It also depends on "why" you get those 1v1. Take some time to check how you lose possession. If it is your midfielders losing possession due to pression (and they do not have the Vision and Decision to move the ball in time), tweak your mentality to very attacking! It may seem counterintuitive, but this way, you guys will get the ball forward more and you may lose a little bit of possession, but farther down the pitch, sometimes to goal kicks. With goal kicks, you have time to regroup and your team will get possession back quickly and more easily than when you lose possession in midfield during an attack.

Hope it helps! Do not hesitate to tell me if you find another way to make the tactic even better ;)

Quelle coïncidence :)

The most times it's because one of my two midflielders try a long pass (ppm: try long pass) then a try with an other midflield without this ppm but the problem now came form wingers, they try to switch down the flanks but without the ppm and boom long pass behind my defense.

Next season i'm trying to sign defenders with more pace and anticipation. ( But generally pacey defenders are poor in jumping reach but will see what happen)

PS: si jamais on peut se "DM" pour discuter en français si tu préfères :)

• Panneton0 changed the title to Total Control

Started using this in my 4th season after a disastrous 3rd season with Roma, so far pre-season has went well.  Lots of possession and lots of chances whilst shutting the opposition out.  Any advice for when struggling to break teams down?

Il y a 12 heures, latrell a dit :

really love this tactic my team really controls the game with fantastic build up play great work Panneton0

Really glad you enjoy it! Do not hesitate to share any tweak or results! This is the most entertaining form of football for me and I love when people get to witness it ;)

Il y a 2 heures, Duke313 a dit :

Started using this in my 4th season after a disastrous 3rd season with Roma, so far pre-season has went well.  Lots of possession and lots of chances whilst shutting the opposition out.  Any advice for when struggling to break teams down?

Hope it'll get you back on track mate! After a disastrous season, you clearly need a little fun ;) 
I know that it can be hard at times to break the defensive line. As soon as the opponents start parking the bus against you, games can become little frustrating. From my experience, here are some things that can help convert a little more chances into goals:
1) Change your corner routine from "short" to "near post" and bring your defenders to attack near and far post. Short corners are cool for possession, but if you can't pierce the defensive line, you may need a little header magic to unlock the game
2) Make sure your two inside forward have the "get forward" player instruction and tick the "pass into space" team instruction. This can also break the defense, while slightly reducing the possession.
3) Put some selfish players on the field. I don't like it in general, but after a longer spell of draws or even losses, better bring those guys in for a little solo goal to get the morale back up. Look for any good "off the ball", "dribble", "finishing" and "acceleration" player and put those in of of the top 4 offensive spots... breaks the control a little bit, but the tactic won't work if the morale of the team is low (great togetherness is necessary). Better get a couple of "ugly" wins to get your real beautiful winning streak back!

Hope it helps!

Edit: And I reiterate: This is not a plug and play tactic. Unfortunately. I built it for the beauty of it, more than its results. To truly get the most of it, remember to buy/train your players to have good "first touch", "off the ball", "vision", "decision". Otherwise, they will botch passes and you'll get destroyed on counterattacks :(

Edited by Panneton0

il y a 40 minutes, Duke313 a dit :

I will try some of these tweaks next time I’m up against a brick wall.

Have you tried using the Advanced Playmaker in the MCR position rather than the AMC position, making a 4-3-3.

I tried it but I've seen that the asymmetric diamond shape was more effective to make sure the F9 wasn't isolated. But I did try it only for 4-5 games, haven't tested it over a full season to clearly see the difference! If you ever try it over a longer amount of time, please let me know how it turns out!

Also, what happens with players who have PPM that go against the player instructions? Does it nullify the PI and decrease the effectiveness of the tactic.

for e.g. I have Hazard who can play as F9, but his instructions of pass it shorter and shoot more often are flagged as he has ‘likes to switch ball’ and ‘look for pass rather than score’ - wouldn’t these cancel each other out?

Il y a 5 heures, Duke313 a dit :

Also, what happens with players who have PPM that go against the player instructions? Does it nullify the PI and decrease the effectiveness of the tactic.

for e.g. I have Hazard who can play as F9, but his instructions of pass it shorter and shoot more often are flagged as he has ‘likes to switch ball’ and ‘look for pass rather than score’ - wouldn’t these cancel each other out?

It will indeed modify the strategy strongly. I've seen developers mention that PPM > Player instruction > Team instruction when it comes to actual behavior on the field.

For Hazard, the "look for pass..." is not too bad and can actually be good if you have fast and lethal IF. He'll score a little less, but will provide a lot for the other 2! The "likes to switch ball" is a little more tricky. But since the formation makes it so everyone is close to one another, I doubt Eden will land huge-ass passes from side to side.. since there's no one there. I would keep him as F9 and not worry too much, following these thoughts...  As long as you have really good IFs. 

Looks a good tactic similar to what I’ve been trying to achieve but seems you are having more success, are there any individual player instructions or just the game set ones as I can’t for some reason upload the tactic to import it myself 

Il y a 5 heures, Mushy80 a dit :

Looks a good tactic similar to what I’ve been trying to achieve but seems you are having more success, are there any individual player instructions or just the game set ones as I can’t for some reason upload the tactic to import it myself 

There are actually a lot of player instructions all over. In general, I tick "take fewer risk" for defenders and DM, "take more risks" for the others. And even lower passing range in the player instructions. Can you download the tactic joined here? It's the latest one I've worked on :)

TotalControlV21_3_0.fmf

1 hour ago, Panneton0 said:

There are actually a lot of player instructions all over. In general, I tick "take fewer risk" for defenders and DM, "take more risks" for the others. And even lower passing range in the player instructions. Can you download the tactic joined here? It's the latest one I've worked on :)

TotalControlV21_3_0.fmf 43.84 kB · 5 downloads

No some reason it’s not downloading for me. Will just use the PIs of the setup I’ve got , for similar style used your player roles and possession gone up from 63 to 69 on average so seems good to me lol 

il y a 15 minutes, sicosimatic a dit :

Giving this a go now with my lower league team, interested to see how it goes but looking forward to some beautiful football.

Enjoy!
One thing I can say for lower league teams: You will probably have a great start of season and a tougher second-half. Don't despair, the tactic needs good familiarity and decent players. Take time to actually watch the game to know which players are good and which are not for the system. Feel free to share your results aftwerward! :)

I have to admit... Those still happen :lol:image.png.cde4b3304e6d11a2621edfdcc4df97ca.png

Fortunately, not to often! Newly promoted, dominating possession and I've started to rebuild. Contender for promotion this year, again!

Edited by Panneton0

14 hours ago, Panneton0 said:

I have to admit... Those still happen :lol:image.png.cde4b3304e6d11a2621edfdcc4df97ca.png

Fortunately, not to often! Newly promoted, dominating possession and I've started to rebuild. Contender for promotion this year, again!

Haha yep just had one of them first game in charge of Chelsea fourth season in just left palace and took Chelsea job first game of season vs Brentford, 

ive changed the amc playmaker to engache and seems to be doing well though getting a better player rating per game 

il y a 4 minutes, Mushy80 a dit :

Haha yep just had one of them first game in charge of Chelsea fourth season in just left palace and took Chelsea job first game of season vs Brentford, 

ive changed the amc playmaker to engache and seems to be doing well though getting a better player rating per game 

Interesting tweak, I will try it out to see what it looks like tactically! Thanks for sharing :)

Il y a 2 heures, Victorhugo4222 a dit :

Fantastic tactic mate. Possession stats are out of this world. oOmething different to the usual tactics wee see. 5 stars from me! Congrats!

Thank you so much, glad you enjoy it! :)

this tactic is so sexy but i tried it in my aston villa save (season 24/25 btw), my aston villa team have high xG but the opponent got higher... mybe the teams there all play high pressing make this tactic can barely survive

any idea how to overcome this? i also tweak a few thing like adjust the mentality, change the sweeper keeper to supp so he can come out more to intercept ball more (it does help :3) and make the BWM to def so he stay back to intercept cleared ball act more like anchor role

This tactic is fantastic dont get me wrong, already tried in other league in SEA and we win the league

any help for my aston villa? T.T

2 hours ago, Tir Mcdohl said:

this tactic is so sexy but i tried it in my aston villa save (season 24/25 btw), my aston villa team have high xG but the opponent got higher... mybe the teams there all play high pressing make this tactic can barely survive

any idea how to overcome this? i also tweak a few thing like adjust the mentality, change the sweeper keeper to supp so he can come out more to intercept ball more (it does help :3) and make the BWM to def so he stay back to intercept cleared ball act more like anchor role

This tactic is fantastic dont get me wrong, already tried in other league in SEA and we win the league

Personally if you are gonna change the bwm to def you might as well go with a half back instead as will give you that bit more security with those changes though might impact the system of getting the ball to the mc ap so maybe change that to dip so he is closer to others to get the ball

Il y a 3 heures, Tir Mcdohl a dit :

Hi Tir Mcdohl!

I just did a 4-games losing streak with my team (which is absolutely built for this tactic now) only because I had so many injuries and had to play some players out of position... Is it possible your AstonVilla team isn't yet fully suited for this style? EPL is really tough and there are a lot of teams in there that WILL punish you severely. If you switched from your usual tactic at your 24/25 season, your players probably still mixed up a little bit their former and newer instructions (I've seen this often when switching between really different styles in a season), so that could be one reason. There are probably many others, but that'd be the first to come to mind.

Other than that, as Mushy said, getting your DM to Half-Back did help me for one season when I was newly promoted and insanely underdog. It's not ideal, but it should push your DC a little bit wider to help with the wide counterattacks. Last thing, maybe drop the defensive line one notch. Your defenders may not be reacting fast enough (which is mostly probable considering the quality of attackers in the teams you're facing). It may help your side until the tactic familiarity goes up :)

Hope it'll help!

P.S. Tidus rocks

Edited by Panneton0

8 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

This tactic is getting nothing but good reviews! Most importantly, people are enjoying watching their games and seeing the football it produces. If you're reading this and haven't tried it out yet, I would recommend you try it out! 

What version would you recommend the most?

18 hours ago, Panneton0 said:

Hi Tir Mcdohl!

I just did a 4-games losing streak with my team (which is absolutely built for this tactic now) only because I had so many injuries and had to play some players out of position... Is it possible your AstonVilla team isn't yet fully suited for this style? EPL is really tough and there are a lot of teams in there that WILL punish you severely. If you switched from your usual tactic at your 24/25 season, your players probably still mixed up a little bit their former and newer instructions (I've seen this often when switching between really different styles in a season), so that could be one reason. There are probably many others, but that'd be the first to come to mind.

Other than that, as Mushy said, getting your DM to Half-Back did help me for one season when I was newly promoted and insanely underdog. It's not ideal, but it should push your DC a little bit wider to help with the wide counterattacks. Last thing, maybe drop the defensive line one notch. Your defenders may not be reacting fast enough (which is mostly probable considering the quality of attackers in the teams you're facing). It may help your side until the tactic familiarity goes up :)

Hope it'll help!

P.S. Tidus rocks

I already build my aston villa with possession in mind since the 1st season but i never get the total control like your setup... when i saw your built the other day (thanks to RDF) i start using it in the pre season and make sure the familiarity is high enough before the league start.. well maybe PL is too hard haha.. ill try what Mushy and you suggest

Thanks for replying btw

P.S. Tidus is so related to me irl lol

With 762 passing combinations not a bad performance, just need to sign another centre back as demiral as good as he is doesn’t really fit the tactic but could only afford de light and tonali this transfer window 

228550DD-9E8B-4F7E-B64D-59281C87B202.png

Edited by Mushy80

For some clarification, I won't remove RDF's post because he's right his video was fine & which is why it's back visible in post https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/548292-total-control/?do=findComment&comment=12984010

Videos may be hidden while they're under review by the mod team because of the nature of content we can't host on the forums. Where possible we do aim to keep videos up that are helpful and useful with tactics, which fair play to RDF, this one is.

10 hours ago, TheFanatikz said:

I'm loving the style of this tactic. It's exactly how I like to see football played.  Only issue I am having is how often the opposition has a 100% shots to goal ratio

With only leaving two players back it is prone to counter attacks. Especially if the opposition have two up front. First ten games in the league I didn't concede a goal and hardly a shot on goal. Then Dundee United played 4-4-2 and I won 6-3, all three were long ball, flick on and then clean through. Dropping the defensive line stops the tactic working properly. I'll have a think about it. May well be if you are winning then who cares I suppose? I suspect changing the full backs or BWM to defend would effect the shape too much so I'm not sure.

Il y a 15 heures, TheFanatikz a dit :

I'm loving the style of this tactic. It's exactly how I like to see football played.  Only issue I am having is how often the opposition has a 100% shots to goal ratio

Hi Fanatikz!

StewG summed it up pretty much. Total Control leaves you vulnerable at the back, the philosophy being that if they have no chance, they won't score. But sometimes the team will slip, and your opponent will get a 1v1, which usually translates in a shot on goal (at least)... unless you're facing bad strikers haha.

This is unavoidable (for now) since I haven't found a way to control the last third while keeping the defensive line lower. Still, 2 shots, 100% on goal usually comes down to 0 or 1 actual goals. If you control the game, enjoy the show, and score 2-3 yourself, I'd say you're doing it right XD

The point of this tactic is 100% about enjoying the show. If you find a tweak that seems to be more robust in the back, if this is what you're looking for, then absolutely go for it! And feel free to share :)

Good luck mate!

I'm working on a control tactic for when the game is won. In my experience most are being conceded when the AI goes for it in the last 15 minutes. Something deeper that controls possession to see out the game. Shouldn't need too many tweaks.

Wow. Just wow.

Got this tactic (v3) working immensely with my Rangers save.

21 games into the league, 0 goals conceded, 68 scored, only 3 games where I have had 1 or more shots on target against me.

Needs a little modifying for European football ( Drop defence line deeper, Stay on Feet, Switch one of the IWBs to WB) but works like a dream there too.

Set pieces weren't the greatest either but that's an easy fix.

Can't remember a game where my possession was below 65% and having fewer than 10 shots on target.

Best looking tactic for the match engine too.

Fantastic stuff. Can't recommended this enough. :applause:  

So cool to see these numbers! Congrats on that awesome season and for your smart tweaks!

I've been promoted back-to-back 3 seasons in a row now and I have to say... my squad hasn't followed so I'm having a hard time this year in my league XD

At some point, when you're facing teams with players with ~5-6 points more in average in every other characteristics... it's a challenge whatever the tactic you use lol

il y a 50 minutes, jeromethestone a dit :

Hands down this is my far the most beautiful football I have ever seen on FM!!! The gameplay is almost like the guardiola barca era :) with some defending tweaks and maybe a stronger set pieces routine it might be the best tactic on FM21! Gr8 job master @Panneton0

Thank you so much for the kind words.

I am currently working toward a V4 with the following goals in mind:

1. Lower 1v1 occasions from the opponent, without compromising the attacking efficiency. Working with roles, depth and tackling style.
2. Better set pieces: Balance needs to be found between set pieces efficiency and tactical awareness. Currently, the set pieces routine is designed to give little goals, but mainly to maintain structure and possession without giving the opportunity for a counter attack if the set piece fails. The tactic is delicately tuned to maintain an efficient and attack-oriented possession and some set piece routines I've tried breaks the structure even if they give more goals/game. Hoping for some amelioration in the next version :)
3. Less yellow cards. I don't want my team to look like thugs. I like clean, elegant football. Unfortunately, being nice doesn't seem to work all that well but I'm working on balancing effectiveness with cleanness for the next version.

Thanks for everyone who's sharing tweaks, Total Control only gets better with all of your inputs!

12 hours ago, Panneton0 said:

Thank you so much for the kind words.

I am currently working toward a V4 with the following goals in mind:

1. Lower 1v1 occasions from the opponent, without compromising the attacking efficiency. Working with roles, depth and tackling style.
2. Better set pieces: Balance needs to be found between set pieces efficiency and tactical awareness. Currently, the set pieces routine is designed to give little goals, but mainly to maintain structure and possession without giving the opportunity for a counter attack if the set piece fails. The tactic is delicately tuned to maintain an efficient and attack-oriented possession and some set piece routines I've tried breaks the structure even if they give more goals/game. Hoping for some amelioration in the next version :)
3. Less yellow cards. I don't want my team to look like thugs. I like clean, elegant football. Unfortunately, being nice doesn't seem to work all that well but I'm working on balancing effectiveness with cleanness for the next version.

Thanks for everyone who's sharing tweaks, Total Control only gets better with all of your inputs!

Hey, good job bro 

i still trying to tweak your tactic in my aston villa save and this what i do to ensure the opponents stop park the bus every time:

1) Get the early goal. Reason is to make sure the AI not park the bus after they realize you play with a possession football. I start the match with 'Very Attacking' mentality, catch the opponent off guard with all attack on their goal hoping for a goal. After a goal, normally ill drop to 'Attack' or even 'Positive' mentality depending on which team I faced. sometime i just let it in 'Very Attacking' if my team already play well. Beware though, you will lost more position in higher mentality and more vulnerable to counter attack

2) Change one of the IWB to WB(sup). IWB can help in keeping possession, the problem is when opp transition from def to attack.. My rear are to expose especially when enemy have an aggressive winger.. WB also give me width in my attack.. like Pep, controlling space is the key to penetrate the opponent def.. I even change both if opponent winger both play aggressive.

3) Ask my IF to man mark opponent WB. Im not sure how this help, but it does XD

4) Teach player with good long range shooting to shot more often

5) Change one of the CB(def) to CB(stopper). This guy help in winning the ball back more from enemy long range pass.. make sure he has high aggression though

6)Have passing into space can help to if you the opponent use high defending line

I know these changes can reduce the total possession of the ball, but I still hold a high ball possession and my player still play with fast-short pass football

Im excited for your V4, i think your tactic is the one that i really want to create for a long time but i never manage to.. Great job there!

Edited by Tir Mcdohl

@Panneton0

Hi @Panneton0 first of all i swear I've only just seen this thread haha you'll see what I mean in a second

I made a thread in the discussion part of the forum after doing some city analysis in real life and just making a tactic on fm before bed one evening i didn't even check the forums for other threads. I wish i did this is brilliant. Great to see your results and a great tactic and glad so many people are enjoying it. We started off with a similar shape but I took mine in a different direction because I was looking for specific things to come out but even so probably wrongly judging by the results you've managed to get.

Even though I was looking for certain moments and patterns from City 2020-2021 specifically i'm sure it can be worked into this brilliant tactic. I'm fascinated what sort of patterns & movements get when creating chances do you have any clips or screenshots or anyone else playing with the tactic? No worries if not i'm not being lazy but i barely have enough time to play myself at the moment let alone do more testing!

The other annoying & unbelievable thing is to test my tactic In the lower leagues i just started a save earlier today with... Boston United ! haha I can't believe how weird that is. I wish you all the best and those numbers are very impressive! I'm also living in Canada next to a CPL team right this second so its also funny you used the CPL as your second set of examples. 

Do you mind if i share this thread in my thread so anyone there that hasn't seen this might come and contribute here & try this for themselves?

Also I'm intrigued to see how your Boston save is going how many seasons are you in? 

il y a 42 minutes, Cult of Football Manager a dit :

@Panneton0

Hi @Panneton0 first of all i swear I've only just seen this thread haha you'll see what I mean in a second

I made a thread in the discussion part of the forum after doing some city analysis in real life and just making a tactic on fm before bed one evening i didn't even check the forums for other threads. I wish i did this is brilliant. Great to see your results and a great tactic and glad so many people are enjoying it. We started off with a similar shape but I took mine in a different direction because I was looking for specific things to come out but even so probably wrongly judging by the results you've managed to get.

Even though I was looking for certain moments and patterns from City 2020-2021 specifically i'm sure it can be worked into this brilliant tactic. I'm fascinated what sort of patterns & movements get when creating chances do you have any clips or screenshots or anyone else playing with the tactic? No worries if not i'm not being lazy but i barely have enough time to play myself at the moment let alone do more testing!

The other annoying & unbelievable thing is to test my tactic In the lower leagues i just started a save earlier today with... Boston United ! haha I can't believe how weird that is. I wish you all the best and those numbers are very impressive! I'm also living in Canada next to a CPL team right this second so its also funny you used the CPL as your second set of examples. 

Do you mind if i share this thread in my thread so anyone there that hasn't seen this might come and contribute here & try this for themselves?

Also I'm intrigued to see how your Boston save is going how many seasons are you in? 

Hey buddy!

This is uncanny!

Feel free to share this thread and tactic as much as you want. The more people get to experience, comment on and tweak this playstyle to their liking the better! :D

For clips and screenshots, I strongly encourage you to check out @RDF Tactics's showcase of this tactic (check higher up in the comments!). He did a breakdown of the tactic that help seeing how it goes! If you want more I can check out how to upload clips... haha

I will DM you for more info on my Boston Utd save ;)

Cheers! :D

Edited by Panneton0