Hi guys.

I play for Kaiserslautern and got promoted to 1.Bundesliga. This`s my 442 tactic, that i used in last season:

AFa DLFa

IWsu BWMd CMsu WMsu

WBsu   CDd    CDd     FBsu

SKsu

TI: Positive, PoD, Counter, Regroup, Lower LoE, More Urgent, Get stuck in, Tighter Marking

Scored not much goals, but conceded even much less. But opponents in Bundesliga are much stronger. So...

What can you advice how to improve my tactic for underdog in Bundesliga? I want to play fluid counter-attacking style. My attackers can be a good TQ and CF, CM is good as DLP and BBM, wide midfilders can also play WP.

Also, I have a very good young AMC in my academy (can play AM, AP, SS). So I want to play him sometimes for the first team and I want to try 4411. How can I set up 4411 to use it occasionally  (against weak opponents for example)

Thanks!

Your current tactic already looks like a good base (starting point), so you probably don't need to make any big changes in order to adapt it to the tougher competition.

For example, you can make central midfield even more solid by simply swapping the respective duties of the BWM and CM (and their sides, as well). Like this:

IWsu   CMde   BWMsu   WMsu

The same can be done with the strikers - side swap:

DLFat    AF

Because the more "attack-minded" of the 2 CMs could benefit from the space the AF creates as the more attacking striker.

In terms of instructions, you may consider the removal of tight marking and more urgent pressing (with only the get stuck in left unchanged). Because too much aggression can be costly against the better opponents you'll face in Bundesliga. 

Play out of defence can also be risky in these new circumstances, so that's another instruction you might want to remove. Instead. you can tell the keeper to distribute to CBs and FBs, which would encourage building from the back of sorts, but not at all costs and consequently with less risk. 

8 hours ago, šaliony babior said:

I want to play fluid counter-attacking style

Fluid counter requires better players than simple direct counter, so better think twice.

On 10/02/2021 at 10:50, šaliony babior said:

Hi guys.

I play for Kaiserslautern and got promoted to 1.Bundesliga. This`s my 442 tactic, that i used in last season:

AFa DLFa

IWsu BWMd CMsu WMsu

WBsu   CDd    CDd     FBsu

SKsu

TI: Positive, PoD, Counter, Regroup, Lower LoE, More Urgent, Get stuck in, Tighter Marking

Scored not much goals, but conceded even much less. But opponents in Bundesliga are much stronger. So...

What can you advice how to improve my tactic for underdog in Bundesliga? I want to play fluid counter-attacking style. My attackers can be a good TQ and CF, CM is good as DLP and BBM, wide midfilders can also play WP.

Also, I have a very good young AMC in my academy (can play AM, AP, SS). So I want to play him sometimes for the first team and I want to try 4411. How can I set up 4411 to use it occasionally  (against weak opponents for example)

Thanks!

Your tactic looks defensively solid but definitely lacks a punch afront due to inadequate support to your forwards. However, you have a really good base to improve it.

Role changes:

WBS to FBA(more direct support for your forwards. He will quickly go up to cross to your forwards and play direct passes to AFA down the left channel)

WMS to WMA:(He will catch up with your DLFA quickly to offer support down the right flank and link up with CMS well and be another threat in the box at the far post when the ball is on the left flank.)

Your TIs are well placed for the style you are looking after.

Against a deep defence a good 4411 setup could be like this(assumes players have no traits)

CFS

SS

WMS   CMD   DLPS     WMA

FBS       CDD   BPD      FBS

SKD

Balanced

Play out of Defence, Lower Tempo, Be More Expressive, Underlap Right, Focus Play Down Both Flanks

The idea is to play a compact patient possession game with intent with the purpose of opening space in the middle of the pitch by moving the opposition to the flanks.

Counterpress, Distribute to CBs

The system already has a number of players upfront so pressing in the final third is a good idea while distributing to CBS should help reach the ball to the central playmaker more easily.

Higher DL, Use Offside Trap

A compact basic middle block.

PIs:

CFS, SS:Close Down More, Tackle Harder

WMS: Cut Inside, Close Down More, Get Forward, RFP, Sit Narrower

WMA: Cut Inside, Close Down More, RFP, Sit Narrower

FBs: Get Forward, Close Down More

All front four applying intense pressure to the opposition backline in addition to additional pressure to opposition FBs and WBs not to let them get the ball and join attacks. Attackwise, Sit Narrower and RFP will help wingers to keep possession better and find pockets of space in deep defence to open up more space for FBs.

OIs:

GKs: Close Down, Tight Mark, Tackle Hard

Attacking of supporting FBs or WBs: Close Down Always

Adding more pressure on opposition GK for potential turnovers in setpieces or during high press by front four.

Taking away any space opposition FBs or WBs is essential for any successful high block.

6 hours ago, šaliony babior said:

Maybe you can give advice on how to set up 4411 counter? How would u use AM - role and duties? 

Okay, here is one possible example:

CFat

AMat

IWsu    CMde   BWMsu   Wsu

FBat     CDde    CDde    FBsu

SKde

Balanced - slightly more direct passing - counter, regroup & distribute to CBs and FBs - lower LOE & get stuck in

This is a starting tactic I would test and make small gradual tweaks in the process until I get exactly what I want. Always look to keep it as simple as possible and do not use any instructions (or roles) just for the sake of using them. Basically, your style of play is largely dictated by your selection of roles and duties. Instructions, including the mentality, are a secondary tactical tool that serves only to more closely define your intended style of play. 

I don't think that's a fluid counter system at all. It actually looks a quite direct, get-the ball to the strikers-kind of thing to me. Which is completely fine if you're a newly promoted team. But then PoD is not the best idea, and you probably want a slightly more potent right side.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!
Now my tactic looks like:

AF

AMa

Ws BWMd BBM WMs

FBs  CDd     CDd FBs

SKde

TI: Balanced, slightly more direct passing, regroup, distribute to CBs and FBs, lower LOE, get stuck in, More Urgent, Tighter Marking

I have a good defence, but at the same time I`m scoring not enough goals -  shots on target, xG is below average.

Pls, advice me what to change to improve my attacking game!

p.s. I understand that counter-attacking tactics does not mean many goals, but nevertheless I believe that I should improve this direction

Edited by šaliony babior
55 minutes ago, šaliony babior said:

Hello again!
Now my tactic looks like:

AF

AMa

Ws BWMd BBM WMs

FBs  CDd     CDd FBs

SKde

TI: Balanced, slightly more direct passing, regroup, distribute to CBs and FBs, lower LOE, get stuck in, More Urgent, Tighter Marking

I have a good defence, but at the same time I`m scoring not enough goals -  shots on target, xG is below average.

Pls, advice me what to change to improve my attacking game!

Just to add my own thoughts. I run a 4-4-1-1 counter attacking system which the game lables as 'fluid counter attack' for the English League 2/1.

I use the below. But my WM act more like wingers on attack but without the crossing from the byline, I want them crossing from deep but getting further forward when our DLP has the ball. The AF scores nearly all the goals but the wingers and AMC chip in with a few as well. Most of the assists come from the wingers and DLP. If I am dominating a game but not scoring I switch to a positive mentality or change passing to be more direct. I can also let the GK distribute higher up the pitch as well.

My idea with this tactic was to draw the opponents out with a low block but then swiftly counter with a long ball to a pacy striker (not a real TM type). However we can also play some proper football as well with the wingers moving forwards and giving passing options.

image.png.665e613e34c6f7dbd4ddaa098323f607.png