Best position Different to Natural Position

Hi All, 

Why in this game (FM21) is the best position (be it recommended by a scout or a coach) so often so different from the natural position, whereas historically (Fm21 and previous 99% of the time it was the same). I'm noticing in particular a very large amount of players who's best position is AML, when there natural position is mc ml mr AMC AMR or ST

Additionally in the player search is there a way to get it to show the players natural position?

13 hours ago, jim owen said:

Hi All, 

Why in this game (FM21) is the best position (be it recommended by a scout or a coach) so often so different from the natural position, whereas historically (Fm21 and previous 99% of the time it was the same). I'm noticing in particular a very large amount of players who's best position is AML, when there natural position is mc ml mr AMC AMR or ST

Additionally in the player search is there a way to get it to show the players natural position?

I’ve noticed that aswell a player’s best position and role a lot of the time is a position that is not natural to them!

Basically i really just need a way to search plaayers by their natural position in the player search as i've just started an international game and i don't want to have to click into each player when choosing the squad, previously the player search plus scout reports did this though scouts ability of best position, but on FM21 this now doesn't work

• SI Staff

There were some changes this year to the impact position has on the role scoring to better reflect how those players perform directly in the match engine. Generally the difference between a 'natural' and 'accomplished' player in the match engine is very negligible, at which point having the right attributes to play a role in that position is far more important. If your scout/coach is saying your player is best used in a non-natural position, it'll be because their attributes are best suited for one of the roles in that position.

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

There were some changes this year to the impact position has on the role scoring to better reflect how those players perform directly in the match engine. Generally the difference between a 'natural' and 'accomplished' player in the match engine is very negligible, at which point having the right attributes to play a role in that position is far more important. If your scout/coach is saying your player is best used in a non-natural position, it'll be because their attributes are best suited for one of the roles in that position.

Thankyou for the response, I will need to rethink how i pick national squads. 

11 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Hi Jack, I fully get what you’re saying but if a player doesn’t know how to play there naturally even if his stats/ability suggest he is better suited in a role and position. There isn’t much choice in knowing or letting me know if ultimately the player doesn’t feel comfortable/know how to naturally play that role & position no?

• SI Staff
10 hours ago, Davidog said:

Hi Jack, I fully get what you’re saying but if a player doesn’t know how to play there naturally even if his stats/ability suggest he is better suited in a role and position. There isn’t much choice in knowing or letting me know if ultimately the player doesn’t feel comfortable/know how to naturally play that role & position no?

If a player is accomplished in a position, there's going to be very, very little difference in their performance from that of a natural.  At that point role suitability is a lot more important. If a player has little to no familiarity in a position at all then it becomes more of a concern which is reflected in their ratings.

4 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

If a player is accomplished in a position, there's going to be very, very little difference in their performance from that of a natural.  At that point role suitability is a lot more important. If a player has little to no familiarity in a position at all then it becomes more of a concern which is reflected in their ratings.

Understood, thanks for sharing your knowledge pal.