FM21 - Il lavoro Italiano (debutto) - Parma Calcio 1913 /// The Italian Job (debut)

22 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Cheers. Why always him? :lol:

Very winnable unless your first draw is against possibly the strongest team in the competition: Bayer Leverkusen :rolleyes:

Yes there's always one or two of those clubs floating around. 

I lost to Roma in said season in the quarters. They went on to win the thing. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expected some good teams, but to draw one in the very first match was extremely unlucky. Anyway, pre-season update will follow later before we get on to our European exit :D

541499615_TheItalianJob.jpg.9cde1dbc66ddb59b906ba1f72cd9d1f5.jpg

1199522604_GazettaDiParma.jpg.38e8189adbc1c452b6a0bc06b91fdd0c.jpg

Here is a quick review of the summer goings on at Parma, with Lorenzo Di Parmalat keen to trim the various squads whilst also improving the quality in the ranks

There were two members of the first team squad released at the end of their contracts (aged 34 and 33 respectively) plus a further 12 let go from the other squads

580567435_ParmaCalcio1913_FreeTransfers2.0.png.57f815228a56d2bca5e2bb042fa77bf3.png

Loan options to buy were not taken up on Andrea Conti (through choice) and Roberto Gagliardini (because he wouldn't agree to join) 

A number of other players were moved on - but only Simone Colombi, Yann Karamoh & Mario Balotelli had any first team minutes last season

Di Parmalat felt there were four key areas that needed attention - with an extra right wing-back plus central defenders, central midfielders and strikers on the shopping list

The manager was also very keen to avoid loans if at all possible, as he expressed a strong preference to have just permanent players fighting for the cause

A number of deals were done, but only a handful would be destined for involvement in the main squad in the coming campaign

Di Parmalat worked to the board philosophy of 'young' and 'Italian' and at times even combined the two traits in to one player

The central defence pool was boosted by the arrival on free transfers of Juan Cruz Komar from Argentina and Andrea Cistana after he ran out his contract at Brescia

In attack, Lucas Alario completed a pre-agreed £5m move after a successful year on loan last time out - and several others were added with an eye to the future

Jackson Muleka & Almoez Ali came in as non-EU players and were immediately loaned out for extra development

Young Italian Lorenzo Columbo was grabbed from AC Milan for an initial fee of £5m and will compete for occasional minutes with club-grown prospect Andrea Adorante

Andre Anderson is a raw Brazilian-born attacking midfielder trained in Italy by Lazio, and he will serve as understudy to Manuel Lanzini

The right wing-back hole was initially for the U20 squad, and was more than adequately filled by Wilfried Singo with a bargain £400k fee paid to Torino for his services

Central defender Caleb Okoli and central midfielder Thomas Schiro will join the U20 group alongside future first-team left wing-back Matteo Ruggeri

950833826_ParmaCalcio1913_TransferHistory2.0.thumb.png.edd03ceec4f701e4c1f6456202c49a1d.png

Considerable hours have been spent and wasted trying to land a 'premium Italian midfielder' but as the season begins this has not yet been successful

Two of the top targets Manuel Locatelli & Gaetano Castrovilli were always unlikely this summer - even though a £12m bid for the latter had been accepted by his club

More disappointing was that the aforementioned Gigliardini refused to convert his loan move for £6.5m despite 34 appearances at Parma last season

To rub salt in to the wound, he still would not join on loan again or even permanently after a new £8.5m bid had been agreed with Inter Milan to do so 

This prolonged attempt started before (and continued after) a £6.5m bid for Mattia Zaccagni had been negotiated with Verona and a contract agreed by the player himself

But with plans to meet at the airport arrivals lounge in place, news came through that he had been poached at the last minute by AC Milan for a lower fee than we had offered

Since that debacle, a higher fee was agreed by his new club to snatch him away - only for the player to reject fresh advances without any signs of remorse

With some discontent at the club to not complete either of these deals, Di Parmalat decided it was time to make a tough call to American owner Kyle Krause

Momentarily forgetting the time difference, Krause apparently wondered if Di Parmalat was offering his resignation

But that notion was not on the agenda, the purpose for the call was to request that Director of Football Marcello Carli was relieved of his duties

The relationship had worked quite well in the first season, but Di Parmalat had learned of a potential upgrade through another of his old Parmalat connections

The chats went on late in to the night before it was finally agreed that a compensation package would be offered - as long as there was no doubt the new man would join

A somewhat shocked Carli reluctantly accepted his days at the club were over on 11th August - and his replacement Claudio Ranieri was unveiled later the same day

42980068_Ranieri11_08_21.png.c04b29d7d6bdfe516dd3af9530996086.png

It was a busy day for the media men, as they were also forced to deny that new kits were on the horizon after 'leaks' made by blogger https://www.fmcustomkits.com/

1823867808_parmafantasyhome.png.660deaa274127c4ec04b5a4758d83cf9.png

931233735_parmafantasyaway.png.f2b900a4b5f46a81de694e15353ffae5.png

936641061_parmafantasythird.png.7256c6d92d9afcb7f011d21eba1cc060.png

There is no doubt these kits look fresh and exciting - but for now the sponsorship with Cetilar remains firmly in place

Word on the grapevine is that one day the Parmalat name may be featured again on the famous club shirts - but nobody at Parma has commented on that speculation just yet

On the pitch, preparations have gone fairly well as the following series of results demonstrates 

1099974625_ParmaCalcio1913_Fixtures2.0.png.eb4f00e88bc89af1b9a5430e291580d3.png

There are now just a handful of days to go before the new season starts officially - with the first game being Leg 1 of a tricky Europa Conference League draw

There were groans of disbelief after being paired with Bayer Leverkusen in that competition, but Di Parmalat will now have to get his troops ready for battle 

The club expectations had been set out by the board before the draw, but it is believed they will be lenient when assessing the outcome of that tough test

1112677315_Parmaexpectations2.0.png.3fbfa7a0470d2bc5ff7f9edfbca933a0.png

And as Di Parmalat and Ranieri work to try and secure that 'missing midfielder' here is a quick look at the 23-man first team squad the manager has at his disposal

Only one of these 23 - Adi Nalic from Sweden - is not either Italian or has Italian second nationality or has been trained 'in nation' at a club in Italy

His inclusion since last season is for a specific purpose as Di Parmalat may perhaps be struggling to leave the glorious past behind him

Sepe (Buffon), Gravillon (Thuram), Komar (Sensini), Ferrari (Cannavaro), Ghiglione (Fuser) and Emerson (Benarrivo) are all nationality & style matches of their peers in defence

Grassi (Baggio), Lanzini (Veron), Nalic (Brolin), Inglese (Chiesa) and Alerio (Crespo) are all back to the future clones in midfield and attack

Frenchman Boghossian hasn't yet been cloned so Thuram (son of Lillian) is doing that job for now

The U20 squad does have a raw Colombian forward called Asprilla to replace unrelated namesake Faustinho after Balotelli's departure as 'the maverick striker' in the pack

And there is an actual son of Veron in the U20 group too, after he was lured from Argentiinos Juniors (his dad is Chairman) last summer

590037985_ParmaCalcio1913_Players2.1.png.c764dd989b9cdbb565410b8fc555e4bc.png1194541976_ParmaCalcio1913_Players2.2.png.50312f0edfb76c7893e0fe58d7f97f2d.png

There are now nine men who have played for or managed Parma involved either as Director or at First Team training ground level as highlighted in Parma Violet :cool:

558941208_Parmastaff2.1.thumb.png.6631cc0d7ab8046dd1b7526aa9fc1b2a.png

And beyond that, there are another seven men working at Parma who have played for the club in the past - plus Pedro Verde who is the uncle of Juan Sebastian Veron :cool:

470525643_Parmastaff2.2.thumb.png.56aff41c35424d52fc25a6735b0ed9ab.png

The new season awaits, Forza Parma

2061635072_FM21Italy.jpg.2cf98b5f667ac8de1b841493e9801af9.jpg

Great post as usual my friend. Very excited to see what goes on this season! Good luck with Leverkusen, I imagine that’s about as tough a draw as you could’ve got!

8 minutes ago, goonergez said:

Great post as usual my friend. Very excited to see what goes on this season! Good luck with Leverkusen, I imagine that’s about as tough a draw as you could’ve got!

Thanks very much.

Ready to take on our German superiors now. Yes, I think we got the best club in the competition at the very first hurdle. It was so tempting to quit and re-launch but I want to be honest win lose or draw :)

Back to the Future!

The Swede needs to go.....his meatballs aren't good with Barilla! LOL!

Edited by Hootieleece
added words I forgot
1 hour ago, Cheez3y said:

Alario for 5 mio is a steal. Also I like the Qatari!

I agree on Alario, he did a great job last season. Whenever I have seen Almoez Ali I really quite like him, he has good stats in FM21 so why not. If his loan works, I can include him in January or next year.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Back to the Future!

The Swede needs to go.....his meatballs aren't good with Barilla! LOL!

Meatballs and pasta sounds good to me. But the actual current sponsors are Cetilar. I hope all their treatments are legit for athletes and doping tests.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Alario is a bargain at £5m. I am liking your comparisions from the old players of Parma to the players you have now.

Thanks, it was always the plan to go fully retro. Nearly there on that now.

1 hour ago, Ewan0404 said:

Another solid update. 

Looking forward to the season ahead. :thup:

Thanks very much. Hopefully it will go well.

Good luck with the new season, and with that first European venture.

Being able to spend most of your money on squad depth and future prospects is a good place to be :cool:

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Good luck with the new season, and with that first European venture.

Being able to spend most of your money on squad depth and future prospects is a good place to be :cool:

Thanks, the transfer window has closed and even Claudio Ranieri couldn't work his magic. There were no more new recruits so certainly not a 'dilly ding dilly dong' moment there.

1771623508_TheItalianJob.jpg.2d8478d3d84a22269c4194a9afae7e14.jpg

1013786960_GazettaDiParma.jpg.f15f2df1619924cf67f3a3084d9764e6.jpg

With his chase for a new star central midfielder having failed, it was time for Lorenzo Di Parmalat to send out his side for the 2021/22 season opener

Having been handed the hardest tie of the Europa Conference League 4th Qualifying Round, it was a start that threatened early season disappointment

But home grown youngster Andrea Adorante made an amazing impact from the bench on his debut to earn a 2-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen in the first leg

Verona were edged out 1-0 as Serie A began, and this boosted the side to come away with a 1-1 draw in Germany to earn a place in the European group stage

The good start continued in to September with Di Parmalat masterminding a 2-0 win over Inter Milan

But a draw with Braga in Portugal commenced a run of five games without a win as the bright start dimmed a little in September

Two losses had been handed out, and with three blanks in five it was clear that goals were hard to come by

It was important that there was a pick-up in form during October, and a sequence of four wins and a draw saw an unbeaten month with no goals conceded

Included in this batch of results was a vital win over IFK Norrkoping which kept the side in with a shout of progression from the group at the halfway point

Defensively Di Parmalat was very satisfied - and he hopes that his strikers will grab some goals if they can put injury problems behind them

Both Lucas Alario & Roberto Inglese have missed a number of games so far, but youngster Adorante has stepped in admirably to help limit their absences

902273614_ParmaCalcio1913_Fixtures2.1.png.5b9d565e233e79eacffbb843069aac5f.png

The squad has recently been impacted by a couple of significant injuries that will affect the side for a lengthy period of time though

The first of these came on 3rd October when left wing-back Emerson damaged cruciate ligaments which rules him out for 8-9 months

His understudy Giuseppe Pezzella will be handed the jersey, and young summer signing Matteo Ruggeri has also featured after being promoted from the U20 squad

And in the very last game, striker Inglese sustained a hip injury that will force him to miss the next three months of action

Youngster Adorante has already filled in for both him and Alario already this season, and will now have an unexpected opportunity to get even more minutes on the pitch

1142508381_Emersoninjury03_10_21.png.923186e294b40d375a1bca6865ee6939.png

1544104966_Ingleseinjury31_10_21.png.c52f19cfdea4c51dc4fb0f7c9039114a.png

The standings at the end of the month sees Parma sitting in a lofty 4th, although AC Milan and several others do have a game in hand

Di Parmalat is still pleased with the efforts of his side so far, but has expressed some concern over the goal return with only eight in the nine league games to date

Defensively though, the shape of his side with three central defenders is forming a solid foundation - with just four league goals conceded

862404032_Parmaprogress2.1.thumb.png.ddeb8f87fb01084572cbf87783ba84d7.png

We'll be back for another Parma update soon, with European football high on the priority list during what will be an important period for the club 

1319146379_FM21Italy.jpg.6501a69346359ec302fde4bc908ab105.jpg

Edited by Jogo Bonito
1 minute ago, SixPointer said:

Can your break into they UCL spots this year? Early suggestion is yes!

Not sure but there are some good teams below (AC Milan and Atalanta particularly) and I think the loss of Inglese may harm those chances. Europa League remains a tough enough target - time will tell :lol:

18 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Not sure but there are some good teams below (AC Milan and Atalanta particularly) and I think the loss of Inglese may harm those chances. Europa League remains a tough enough target - time will tell :lol:

I have every faith! Look forward not behind :brock:

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

three blanks in five it was clear that goals were hard to come by... an unbeaten month with no goals conceded

Ah, the vagaries of an FM season :lol:. Looking good so far!

Bayer Leverkusen is a rough tie in qualifying, good result though.

Maybe a European trophy on the cards :brock:

Also I am sure that there is a benefit to finishing top in the group in that you skip the first knock out round.

22 minutes ago, Ewan0404 said:

Bayer Leverkusen is a rough tie in qualifying, good result though.

Maybe a European trophy on the cards :brock:

Also I am sure that there is a benefit to finishing top in the group in that you skip the first knock out round.

Interesting cheers. Disappointed to lose to Sheffield United but still in touch with the top two so will try to finish in pole position!

Yes, when I got the draw with Leverkusen I was really tempted to save and quit (joking, but did question my luck).