How important is vertical compactness in defence

So I’ve been doing a little experiment with the defence and I’ve found out that with a standard d line and standard loe with a balanced mentality and standard pressing we’d get torn apart (this is with my 433 formation) how ever if I did something like lower loe and lower d line we was so much better defensively or for how I like to play higher d line standard loe or much higher d line and high loe. Now I believe it’s because standard pressing I was just to passive so I upped it but with bringing the places closer together it’s like I suffocated them, Just wondered if the experience fm players have done such a tweak that made you so much better wether it was on the defensive end or offensive end? 

21 hours ago, frukox said:

I think you can afford less compact defences with mentally and physically better players but generally keeping them close is the safest way.

Have you ever tried extreme compression such as much higher line much lower loe or standard line and much lower loe? 

Yeah, the first is good for a mid block, quite deadly in transition with the right set-up while the second is good for a low block to hit your opponent on the counter.

44 minutes ago, frukox said:

Yeah, the first is good for a mid block, quite deadly in transition with the right set-up while the second is good for a low block to hit your opponent on the counter.

Yes that’s what I’m finding out before I use to just play standard d line standard loe or high d line higher loe etc but sometimes even against teams I was better than they just had to much space and was creating too many chances sometimes even holding the ball to much so with this compression I think I’ve figured out it’s good because you essentially suffocate the opposition into whatever zone you put them into 

9 hours ago, Breezybaby1 said:

Have you ever tried extreme compression such as much higher line much lower loe or standard line and much lower loe? 

standard + much lower loe can be good for a low block but I would strictly stay away from playing a high line with a lower loe, you are simply asking for their defenders to play balls over the top all game long with 0 pressure. The point of playing a high line (and being compact defensively in general) is to compress the playable spaces for the opposition, and then in the same breath you would be telling your players to give the other team as much time on the ball as they want in their half to pick out a pass

Compactness is very important (at least as far as I am concerned). However, like any other segment of a tactic, it works in conjunction with other relevant settings. For example, you can have "perfect" compactness purely in terms of the DL/LOE combo and still be vulnerable in defense if your setup of roles and duties is poorly balanced. In-possession TIs can also create defensive problems if they are set up in such a way as to potentially lead to a loss of possession in a dangerous area (for example, asking players to work ball into box when they are not good enough technically and mentally to do that properly).

Speaking solely of compactness (DL/LOE distance), neither too much nor too little is good. The formation you use is also an important factor to be taken into account (top-heavy, bottom-heavy, with or without a DM and stuff like that).