Friend cannot read new messages in inbox - Editor Files Used

• SI Staff

Hi @casederik

The save you provided, online new.fm contained 1171135 database changes. When we loaded the save on a hosts pc and then got a client on another pc to take over the user, we were able to read all messages. We then continued the game for a month and was still able to read all the messages. The save you sent also had the same database change as the other users I also replied to DB - derbies overhaul, this could be the issue but we are still investigating if this is the issue.  If you have another save where you have not used any database changes with the issue reproducing then please can you send this to us so we can take a look at it. 

Thanks 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Il y a 7 heures, John Kendall-Torry a dit :

Hi @Captain_Stoupha @Mägge

From your save we can see you both have database changes in your saves. You both have one which is DB derbies overhaul. There are also couple from the same user in your saves. Could you remove these and see if you are still getting the issue? We are still looking into this issue but for now could you try this to see if this stops the issue from happening?

Thanks 

Hi @John Kendall-Torry

After deleting all database changes, we've tried to access to one of the infected saves and still no access to inbox by a game crash or inbox stopping at the same message. I thought about it also the DB derbies overhaul because each time of the 3 times that the issue happened was before derbies (2 times before chelsea-tottenham and one time for the chelsea manager only before cheslea-arsenal).

The next step we'll see now if the issue will reproduce again after deleting the DB changes in the save where we're playing now (after resigning all managers and recreating all profiles).

A simple question - why does it only affect the host client? (EDIT: correction)

Another question, in 2 of my savegames the error occured on same day in season 2(!). What about the derbies in season 1? Shouldn't it happen at every Derby in which a  human Players is involved?  

But it could be, in FM 2019 we have a save without DB derbies overhaul and we are in the year 2033...

Edited by Mägge

• SI Staff
15 hours ago, casederik said:

new upload "Toot Toot"

Cheers @casederik

As above, it looks like the issue is down to database changes. Interesting you don't seem to have Derbies overhaul though - we're wondering about that one as it seems to crop up a lot; is this right? (There's over a million changes in these combined databases, it does look tied to database issues)

So the issue has returned for you - and we are post-update - is it exactly as before?

18 hours ago, Tony Garvey said:

Cheers @casederik

As above, it looks like the issue is down to database changes. Interesting you don't seem to have Derbies overhaul though - we're wondering about that one as it seems to crop up a lot; is this right? (There's over a million changes in these combined databases, it does look tied to database issues)

So the issue has returned for you - and we are post-update - is it exactly as before?

yes its exactly like before, we retired my friends manager, played for about 3 (game) months and then it happened after i updated.

I understand that you guys are working on it but this is genuinely ruining my experience with this game, if your telling me that after all these years of being able to 'mod' the game, ew now cant due to this bug? The big issue is, after it starts, the only way to fix it is to retire the manager which if your playing online completely mess's up their career with (reputation/history ect) 

So I'm really hoping you guys have something for this, if you cant, I'm guessing a refund is out very unlikely? had to ask tho

And my only issue with you saying its "database issues" is that I've had these database changes on since the every first save back in early January... been playing online the entire time, only starting 1 offline save to check faces etc.. We had no issue with online games apart from the odd server crash where my friend gets disconnected, which happens at least once every hour without fail. (we both have virgin fibre so its not a network issue) The very first time we ran into this issue was after the first "Winter Update"  I've said this before, having a basic understanding of code, i believe something in that winter update subsequently knocked something else out of place for some players and i would implore you to begin there. 

Edited by casederik

• SI Staff

Hey @casederik

I'm sorry for the frustration here. I appreciate the issue mainly started after the winter update for you, but we currently have no examples of this happening in a 100% vanilla game. It isn't really possible for us to test every third party item out there - databases in particular can be huge and complex.

Derbies Overhaul for example if you're running that - hasn't been updated for 2 months! Third party creators do absolutely need to keep up with our changes.

This is still something we're investigating - please don't take a troubleshooting step such as reproducing in a vanilla game as anything more than a troubleshooting step.

But as above, really, this is still being investigated. I really would be interested to see if you or anyone can replicate this using nothing custom. That is simply a necessary step in our process of bug analysis, and I appreciate it isn't how you want to play. It is for diagnostic purposes.

Just now, Tony Garvey said:

Hey @casederik

I'm sorry for the frustration here. I appreciate the issue mainly started after the winter update for you, but we currently have no examples of this happening in a 100% vanilla game. It isn't really possible for us to test every third party item out there - databases in particular can be huge and complex.

Derbies Overhaul for example if you're running that - hasn't been updated for 2 months! Third party creators do absolutely need to keep up with our changes.

This is still something we're investigating - please don't take a troubleshooting step such as reproducing in a vanilla game as anything more than a troubleshooting step.

But as above, really, this is still being investigated. I really would be interested to see if you or anyone can replicate this using nothing custom. That is simply a necessary step in our process of bug analysis, and I appreciate it isn't how you want to play. It is for diagnostic purposes.

Frozen inbox (FM19 Online Save) : footballmanagergames (reddit.com)

I'm sorry but you were saying something about its something you're investigating???? because as i have said before on this post, this isn't a FM21 only issue.. This has been raised numerous times before and yet here we are in 2021, and your "still" investigating. And so I'm getting this right, your saying that the problem is us?? with our mods etc??? and that if we ran FM without any data edits then this would be fine?? if that's so then why do you include a Data Editor with game? if changing the data has been a known issue for years now, then why would you allow it?

You cant have it both ways, and I'm sorry.... i uploaded a save without the "Derbies Overhaul" and one of your staff even commented at the fact that the "derbies overhaul" wasn't on there. So if your going to say its a certain 3rd party mod then please make sure its the right one or stop saying its ok to change the data on your game.

Have you even attempted to run a save with one individual data change at a time to confirm that it ACTUALLY is a 3rd party change. Because reading through the responses from you guys, you come close to blaming them without actually blaming them which leaves us customers in a position of second guessing ALL mods.. 

Can you actually give us information that would actually help?

Edited by casederik
Spelling

Unfortunately, (after deleting all mods (we know that it'll not affect the current game but we have to finish the season that we started but we'll be forced to let it down and go again from beginnig if it continues), we have the issue again but this time it appears without any game in the middle of a week and the inbox stopped in a news about a loaned player for me only (the Tottenham manager), all the other player haven't any problem. 
I uploaded a new save in the name of 'inbox tottenham'

Edited by Captain_Stoupha

Guess who's back, back again.... Case is back, with his friend..... Aaaaannnnnddddd we have the issue once again....... once again we retire his manager, create a new one and then hay presto, two game months later and its the same issue

14 hours ago, casederik said:

Guess who's back, back again.... Case is back, with his friend..... Aaaaannnnnddddd we have the issue once again....... once again we retire his manager, create a new one and then hay presto, two game months later and its the same issue

I understand that you are really pissed, but please - try to calm down. 

No one is happy about this issue and we all have the same problem. Writing provocatively and personally attacking the support does nothing at all, except to cause unrest in the thread. Please, try to be factual. Thank you.

On 21/03/2021 at 12:21, Mägge said:

I understand that you are really pissed, but please - try to calm down. 

No one is happy about this issue and we all have the same problem. Writing provocatively and personally attacking the support does nothing at all, except to cause unrest in the thread. Please, try to be factual. Thank you.

Can you pleas point to where I lied or told a mis-truth? Never my intention, and I'm sorry but if I pay money for a product that is advertised as complete, then find out that there's issues with said product that completely ruin my enjoyment of the product (that I exchanged for money) then I am more than in my rights to vent my anger.. 

Now if I typed something that is found to be untrue or slightly wrong, I apologise but I don't think I've said anything out of line here... 

Pointing out that the team is blaming outside forces for the issue without actually knowing what the source of the issue is rather unprofessional. You my friend may be happy with sitting on your hands waiting for them to fix the issue in their own time but I'm not, especially when they took my money for it. I then expect stellar customer service to right a wrong.

Again, if I have put something in these posts that people feel is unfair/rude/ or unjust in anyway, please point it out and I will apologies for it and correct, IF it turns out that the statement is either false or misleading......but in the meantime, how about looking at a company that has had a specific issue with its game for nearly 10 years now and is yet to do anything about it. And when people raise the issue, their main responses are "we're looking into it" or my personal favourite "its the database changes" both of them with a heavy hand of "Possibly"

Yours sincerely, a guy who won't stop until this particular issue is fixed....then I'll move onto another issue 😁

• Administrators
On 20/03/2021 at 16:41, Captain_Stoupha said:

Unfortunately, (after deleting all mods (we know that it'll not affect the current game but we have to finish the season that we started but we'll be forced to let it down and go again from beginnig if it continues), we have the issue again but this time it appears without any game in the middle of a week and the inbox stopped in a news about a loaned player for me only (the Tottenham manager), all the other player haven't any problem. 
I uploaded a new save in the name of 'inbox tottenham'

Yeah there's a huge number of database changes with the save which is why this issue is occurring within the save. Appreciate you providing the save in question. 

• Administrators
On 19/03/2021 at 18:13, casederik said:

Network Inbox Problem. | FM Base (fm-base.co.uk)

This one is from 2013..... Are you actually kidding me with this???

With all due respect, we've had bugs occur in previous version which are fixed, then following changes elsewhere can present again. Isn't always the same cause for the issue. Is absolutely 100% not the same issue you're seeing in your save as the one from FM13, or from FM19. 

You're clearly frustrated by this issue and we appreciate that. As said above the cause appears to be due to certain types of tweaks within editor data. If you have a save game with NO editor files or anything additional added which has this same issue, please upload the save so we can investigate further. Until we get that, we'll be unable to make further progress on this specific issue.

Thanks. 

• Neil Brock changed the title to Friend cannot read new messages in inbox - Editor Files Used
On 17/03/2021 at 17:19, Tony Garvey said:

Cheers @casederik

@Neil Brock can you find the mistake on your own?

Edited by Mägge
adressing

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Mägge said:

@Neil Brock can you find the mistake on your own?

We've been able to reproduce the issue with an edited database network game, but are still interested in getting a save game example with no editor files used. 

We're almost certain it's only due to the editor data and are trying to narrow down the specific cause within said edits.

il y a 52 minutes, Neil Brock a dit :

We've been able to reproduce the issue with an edited database network game, but are still interested in getting a save game example with no editor files used. 

We're almost certain it's only due to the editor data and are trying to narrow down the specific cause within said edits.

@Neil Brockso if i understand well, there's no chance to save our actual saves (with database changes) where the issue occurs ?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Captain_Stoupha said:

@Neil Brockso if i understand well, there's no chance to save our actual saves (with database changes) where the issue occurs ?

Don't know for definite yet, will be dependent on the findings from the reproducible example.

• SI Staff

Hey guys there may also be a workaround you can try while we investigate

If the host gives the save to a friend / someone else in the same game, and that friend then hosts the game instead with the same save so you can pick up where you let off, it should buy you more time and let you continue

Hope this helps

Il y a 3 heures, Tony Garvey a dit :

If the host gives the save to a friend / someone else in the same game, and that friend then hosts the game instead with the same save so you can pick up where you let off, it should buy you more time and let you continue

Hope this helps

@Tony GarveyIt was the first thing that we've tried but always the host (the new) can access to his messages and the clients no.

Edited by Captain_Stoupha

4 hours ago, Tony Garvey said:

Hope this helps

We also tried it, some result as Captain_Stoupha

Hi@Neil Brock

We started a new game in World Super League like as i told you and without any database change (expect the league in question) and unfortunately we have the issue again for all the clients (it begins with one and the 2 others are infected after few game's days), all the client's inboxes were stopped in a message, the number continue growing at the right but we cannot access to read it.
I uploaded a new save in the name of "super league inbox".

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Captain_Stoupha said:

Hi@Neil Brock

We started a new game in World Super League like as i told you and without any database change (expect the league in question) and unfortunately we have the issue again for all the clients (it begins with one and the 2 others are infected after few game's days), all the client's inboxes were stopped in a message, the number continue growing at the right but we cannot access to read it.
I uploaded a new save in the name of "super league inbox".

Can you confirm the exact editor file/s you used? Do you have a link to it/them? 

On 24/02/2021 at 19:25, Freme said:

We play online crossplay. After the latest update the game crash on xbox if you want to go to your mails. If you click the game load and 10 seconds later you are out of the game.

Please fix this, the game is unplayable after your patch!

I just wanted to ask if the exbox community is having the same issues as the PC community, as in the "Inbox" crash? And is there possibly any work around at the moment that can give some monetary pause to this issue? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know that I too am still around and looking for a solution. My friend is currently burning around three managers a season. It hurts his reputation and his progress, because he can't build up a record. It's really annoying. We are trying to power through, but please, SI, I beg you. Please priorotise it. The number of users having this issue grows steadily. My save has mostly been altered by the in-game editor and the pre-game editor, as well as a few league pyramids and badges. It's the same save I uploaded before, and nothing has been altered in a different way since, so there's no point in uploading this save again. Just, please, really put a focus on this issue lads!

Im trying to upload a save with no third party database changes but your uplaod page wont work... We can finally say that it is not the mods.

But i still need a way to upload the save. Unless you guys have just given up on this given the lack of updates recently/

Me and my friend have the same issue with the World Super League. WSL Pack

The problem occur on the same date even though we reloaded two earlier saves and played from there.

The issue appear on both of the saves

The date in question is 8 May.

As a host I can see the inbox messages after this date if I take control of his manager. He can see that he have new messages on the sidebar but nothing new in the actual inbox.

I've uploaded two save files before and after the issue occur, named them WSL before 8 may and WSL after 8 may

• Administrators

As we said above, we're aware there's an issue in relation to using editor files with network games in certain configurations. If you don't use edited db's you won't encounter this issue. This is for network games only, single player games are unaffected. 

When we're in a position to give more information on what specific aspect within an edited database can cause this and how this can be best avoided we'll look to do so. Thanks. 

If you checked the save i uploaded recently, you will find that the changes are from the "awards overhaul" and "the real name fix". That's it. So your basically saying its an issue with the network side of things and not the actual editor files?

Because as you've just mentioned, we could be playing a single player save with the same editor files and run into no problems. I can even let you know i have an online save with just myself and with at least 1171135  changes. Its 2027 and i have not run into this issue. Yet the minute a client joins, the downhill process begins. 

Please understand my frustration doesn't come from you guys trying to help fix the issue. The frustration comes from this being an actual issue, and no matter what you say, i have personally spoken to people who have had this specific issue on earlier FM games.

I would much rather you come out and say, "DO NOT USE EDITOR FILES AS IT COULD CAUSE A GLITCH/BUG THAT COULD DISRUPT YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME"

Then i'd just stop using editor files.... i mean its not rocket science is it?

:(

Edited by casederik

• Administrators
On 22/04/2021 at 11:14, casederik said:

If you checked the save i uploaded recently, you will find that the changes are from the "awards overhaul" and "the real name fix". That's it. So your basically saying its an issue with the network side of things and not the actual editor files?

Because as you've just mentioned, we could be playing a single player save with the same editor files and run into no problems. I can even let you know i have an online save with just myself and with at least 1171135  changes. Its 2027 and i have not run into this issue. Yet the minute a client joins, the downhill process begins. 

Please understand my frustration doesn't come from you guys trying to help fix the issue. The frustration comes from this being an actual issue, and no matter what you say, i have personally spoken to people who have had this specific issue on earlier FM games.

I would much rather you come out and say, "DO NOT USE EDITOR FILES AS IT COULD CAUSE A GLITCH/BUG THAT COULD DISRUPT YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME"

Then i'd just stop using editor files.... i mean its not rocket science is it?

:(

I would suggest going back and re-reading what has been posted above as we've been clear in stating this issue only happens in network games running editor files.

@Neil Brock@casederik

so, we have now started a new game without the overhaul changes in the DB. We are halfway through the third season and have had no problems with the inbox. It actually seems to be due to overhaul, at least in network games.

But:
The client sometimes got stuck in the weekly cycle. While the host is already on his "desktop", the client cannot do anything. He can click on "browse" and nothing happens. He has to quit and reload the game.

I can upload the save if you need it for any tests / comparisons.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Mägge said:

@Neil Brock@casederik

so, we have now started a new game without the overhaul changes in the DB. We are halfway through the third season and have had no problems with the inbox. It actually seems to be due to overhaul, at least in network games.

But:
The client sometimes got stuck in the weekly cycle. While the host is already on his "desktop", the client cannot do anything. He can click on "browse" and nothing happens. He has to quit and reload the game.

I can upload the save if you need it for any tests / comparisons.

Yeah would be good to have a save example and as many details as possible from both the host/client machines. Stuff like whether you're on Mac/PC, what OS etc. Also if any kind of anti-virus programs are running.

If you'd rather do this off the forums, feel free to email help@sega.co.uk with the details and we can pick it up that way. Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...