Unable to Expand Stadium / Build New Stadium

Hi Everyone, I'm currently managing York in August 2027. I've been in the Premier League since 2025 / 2026 I finished third last year and have been going pretty good. Won the EURO 2 Cup and have been growing my rep consistently. I've asked the board for several expansions of the ground which keep on getting rejected. In the year 2025 they informed me a new grown was being planned. This was recently rejected by Council. I'm still at 10,000 capacity which gets sold out every game. Ive got around $200 mill in the bank so that shouldn't be an issue. 

Is there any way to get a new ground or expand the ground as this is limiting the save. 

It sounds like they're looking for an alternative site the council might accept. The process is slower than it used to be in FM and is more like real life now. Up to 10 years or so from deciding to move to the new ground opening is perfectly normal - these things are rarely simple.

Although the game doesn’t tell you this it could well be that your current ground just doesn’t have the ability to be expanded. Built next to houses, protected land ... any number of reasons. Stamford Bridge is having the same issue in reality. That’s been going on for years.

My current stadium capacity is also below the minimum limit allowed for the premier league as well. The council rejected the request so now the board have cancelled the request. Looks like im stuck with a 10k capacity ground. 

image.png.f57ff6813f3d18bc8a6cf75e51efe99e.png

Edited by GFARRELL

4 hours ago, FrazT said:

The game will not impose any sanctions for your stadium being below minimum limits but I would have thought that the board will have to come up with some alternative now that the new build has been cancelled

It should impose sanctions though IMO. As frustrating as it would be for the user, this would represent reality more realistically.  If this happened in reality, I would expect York would end up playing at Hull or Leeds whilst things got sorted out.

13 hours ago, Junkhead said:

It should impose sanctions though IMO. As frustrating as it would be for the user, this would represent reality more realistically.  If this happened in reality, I would expect York would end up playing at Hull or Leeds whilst things got sorted out.

Absolutely it should. I remember in past FM's you would have your matches played at x ground if you didn't meet the requirements. Not sure why this isn't happening in my York Save, seems to be broken. 

Had the same on my save. When I took over Everton struggling in the Premier League the facilities screen stated a new stadium was at the planning permission stage. Nearly 4 years on and its the same, you cannot request anything stadium related with the board and i've heard nothing in the news about it. Meanwhile things have gone strength to strength on the pitch, winning the premier league, getting champions league football, selling players for big profits. So certainly isn't anything to do with cash flow. Really strange as selling out week after week and could be bringing even more cash in.

Screenshot (60).png

• 2 months later...

I think you can just be patient. The game should give SOME communication, at least give you a yearly update. Is pretty poor it doesn’t. But if nothing is being said or done, and you still have the text for a site being searched for, then you can only assume a site is still trying to be located.

It really can take years.

I could be wrong but I don’t personally think it’s a bug. I think it’s a function not implemented very well.. re communication.

Edited by Tyburn

16 hours ago, Tyburn said:

I think you can just be patient. The game should give SOME communication, at least give you a yearly update. Is pretty poor it doesn’t. But if nothing is being said or done, and you still have the text for a site being searched for, then you can only assume a site is still trying to be located.

It really can take years.

I could be wrong but I don’t personally think it’s a bug. I think it’s a function not implemented very well.. re communication.

Agree, it would be nice if stayed in the in progress board actions. It took me ages to find it. 

• FrazT changed the title to Unable to Expand Stadium / Build New Stadium
  • 4 months later...

I know this is a rather old thread.
And we are only months away from FM22. So I hope this has been adressed for the new version.
But I'm in May 2025 in my Holland save, managing Excelsior.
They have a stadium capacity of 4500.
Since 2022 tickets have been sold out 90%+ of the time. In Europe competitions, we borrow another stadium, because our own doesnt meet the requirements.
Everytime I ask for new stadium, nothing happens. Options just disappears without any news. And I've asked 3 times in the last 15-16 months.
Just out of curiosity, I opened my save in an external editor, just to see how many attendances/fans my club has. 
Club Atteance:                14517
Minimum Attendance:  1500
Maximum Attendance: 17133

Why arent the board or owner building a new stadium? ( PS. I have 162£ million in the bank. )
Been in Champions League group stages two years in a row.

• Administrators

If you have a save game prior to you making a request where nothing happens (so the option is available) upload it and let us know the file name so the team can investigate further.

Details on how to upload here - https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/538431-how-to-upload-files-to-us/

Thanks. 

6 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

If you have a save game prior to you making a request where nothing happens (so the option is available) upload it and let us know the file name so the team can investigate further.

Details on how to upload here - 

Thanks. 

I have a save that I have uploaded. When I request the stadium, they either say they will get back to me and nothing happens or they will reject it and with the right choice of responses, they agree to a new stadium. After this nothing happens. This happened a year ago no building work happened and then the option to request returned!

Filename: Last save overwrite backup

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Icondacarver said:

I have a save that I have uploaded. When I request the stadium, they either say they will get back to me and nothing happens or they will reject it and with the right choice of responses, they agree to a new stadium. After this nothing happens. This happened a year ago no building work happened and then the option to request returned!

Filename: Last save overwrite backup

Thanks for this - can you confirm which club you're managing in the save? We get a few 'last save overwrite backup.fm' files uploaded, so just want to be 100% sure which one yours is. 

Cheers. 

41 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks for this - can you confirm which club you're managing in the save? We get a few 'last save overwrite backup.fm' files uploaded, so just want to be 100% sure which one yours is. 

Cheers. 

My bad, it is Man united and I am in 2037 (Stephen Agu is the manager name)

• Administrators

Thanks for that. Can confirm it's an issue that's logged within our system and is being reviewed.

There aren't any plans for any future updates for FM21, but will be looked at for future FMs. If we can provide any feedback on what exactly is going on in-game for your specific save we'll try to do so as well. 

10 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks for that. Can confirm it's an issue that's logged within our system and is being reviewed.

There aren't any plans for any future updates for FM21, but will be looked at for future FMs. If we can provide any feedback on what exactly is going on in-game for your specific save we'll try to do so as well. 

Thanks Neil.

I wish there was a way to trigger them to build the damn thing :(