5 at the back HELP

custom 5 back improved my tatic 5 3 2.fmfcustom 5 back improved my tatic.fmf both of these i use for most of my saves i really like the conte and wilder approach so i try to play with a 5 back so far the 5 3 2 does so so much better than the 5 2 1 2 but seeing the "best" tactics most use an attacking midflieder and 2 af but i tried and the goals dried up anyone have any help for roles or maybe a decent way to play that i could use or tweak much apprenticed if you help :)  

I've had good success with a 5-2-1-2 with an AMC playing as a Shadow Striker or AM/S. I use a Libero on Attack duty in the middle of the back 5 and WB with either Support or Attack duty depending on the opposition. I think two strikers as AF/A is probably too aggressive. I know a lot of the "best" tactics use them but I prefer having at least one striker on a Support or Defend duty. I usually use a Pressing Forward on Defend, which helps create a lot of movement up front with an AMC breaking from deep, on striker dropping off and one as an AF moving into channels.

I've found player PPMs make a big difference in these types of formations. Having midfielders who arrive late into the box is excellent for creating overloads and movement between the lines, for example. A screenshot of your tactic would probably help more though.

Sorry mate, but I am really struggling to understand what you are trying to say in your comments.

As for the tactics, both need a serious overhaul IMHO. Way too many totally needless instructions + contradiction between different elements of the tactic + unbalanced setup(s) of roles and duties.

so basically i have done the 5 3 2 all season with stoke finsihed 6 and lost in the semi final playoff and my striker got golden boot but i was seeing what i need to do to improve because i am losing games by 1ish goal a game but draw most games rather than win and since it was my first fm i was seeing if i am doing anything wrong

It looks like you are trying to play a sit deep and counter attack style (based on out of possession and in transition), is that correct? With the WBs providing the go forward impetus and then pinging crosses into the front 2?

In possession is bonkers. It looks like every possible style of play is thrown into a blender ;) I cannot visualise how all that could come together. If your striker is the GB winner, then it's producing some good end results obviously, but ya it's a lot of competing instructions going on there. For example, playing for set pieces would be opposite of what a counter attacking team would want, as unless I am mistaken it's about dwelling on the ball and waiting to get hacked down for free kicks.

^Ah OK, that makes more sense now how your striker got the GB. As with two forwards on attack and no one 'closer' to them than the BBM, there could be a disconnect in open play. Did you try a DLF-S before going to the DLF-A?

And the question still remains, what type of football are you trying to play? Winning of course, but how do you want to get there?

45 minutes ago, DisposedTable14 said:

i don't mind probably like a counter attacking wolves kind play and no i didn't would that be better ?

IDK. A 'typical pairing' in that formation could see a DLF-s do a better job of linking up with the midfield and giving them a passing option,

For counter-attacking another standard first check could be to only have 'lower line of engagement' and leave defensive line as standard. Will it improve things? need to try and see, but if you go lower/lower it could invite more pressure, especially from top teams than you would like. And have you tried a really paired down 'in possession', to those that help the quick counter attack once it crosses the 1/2 way line and remove those that seem to be contradictory (with the exception of play for FKs since you score that way).

20 minutes ago, DisposedTable14 said:

not gonna lie mate near heard of a paired down in possession its my first fm and it been a up and down rollercoster 

Ha gotcha :-) No worries then, just run a search in this subforum on counter-attack and see what others are doing to get some ideas how you could apply them to Stoke City.

Good start here: