How to stop central and defensive midfielders to stop leaving the central areas

Is there a particular setting to stop having CM and DM's to stop trying to cover the wide areas? Particularly  in a 3v3 midfield game? It seems silly that a player would go out wide to pressure a winger/WB who is already marked/covered by your own wingers. 

I don't want them to man mark a position I just want them to cover the central areas.

There are many reasons for this. First take a look at the roles themselves and make sure they are not roaming roles. I imagine the CM on defend duty or even or Support is less likely to leave the midfield area. Then take a look at your instructions, some might be causing this behaviour. Especially, higher levels of closing down, more expressive or counter-press instructions.

Edited by crusadertsar

17 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

Is there a particular setting to stop having CM and DM's to stop trying to cover the wide areas? Particularly  in a 3v3 midfield game? It seems silly that a player would go out wide to pressure a winger/WB who is already marked/covered by your own wingers. 

I don't want them to man mark a position I just want them to cover the central areas.

Can you post a screenshot of your tactic please? Without it, it would just be a wild guess.

Edited by frukox

25 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

There are many reasons for this. First take a look at the roles themselves and make sure they are not roaming roles. I imagine the CM on defend duty or even or Support is less likely to leave the midfield area. Then take a look at your instructions, some might be causing this behaviour. Especially, higher levels of closing down, more expressive or counter-press instructions.

DM-d. No counter press. Standard individual/team pressing. Higher LOE. Wingers/WB are on support duty. 

My issue isn't that it's happening on a counter attack where a WB is caught up the pitch and its providing defensive cover.  I expect that. Its when the wide players are 2v2 just outside the penalty area. The DM-d will leave the central area and his mark wide open for a cutback in a dangerous position to make it 2v3 on the wing.  

Even with higher levels of pressing, I wouldn't expect a DM-d to press a wide area in favour of protecting the central areas when the ball is deep in the defensive zone/phase. Sancho and Schulz should have it covered. If a third player goes wide then I understand the movement.

image.png.55cf2d9bc518c93318835906e691ef24.png

image.png.b79dfaf8f5738bd2286c13521d8057c7.png

Edited by wazzaflow10

6 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

An anchorman sounds like it would be more appropriate for what you want. 

Maybe but from my understanding it lacks a certain element to the transition and attacking phases that I want to employ. It can't be the only way a central/defensive midfielder stays central in the defensive phase and not try to play as a midfield sweeper. 

4 hours ago, wazzaflow10 said:

Maybe but from my understanding it lacks a certain element to the transition and attacking phases that I want to employ. It can't be the only way a central/defensive midfielder stays central in the defensive phase and not try to play as a midfield sweeper. 

What elements that it lacks? You ask for a role that will protect the central areas and people give you one. Give a detailed description what you expect the role to perform and others will help you on that. The same role on different mentality will also act differently in different phases of the game.