Effects and benefits of using "player position" individual training rather than roles?

Does anyone use the option in individual training to simply train the player's position (ie. "AM(R) - Playing position")? I read in a training guide somewhere that they used this option to train young players, but I have no idea how it works. Is it simply general training that focuses on all attributes? It can't be training for positional familiarity because it's the position they're natural in, right? I've just been training players of all ages using player roles, but does anyone use the playing position option, and if so, why do you use it and how does it affect player development?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, gooseta said:

Is it simply general training that focuses on all attributes?

Yes. It targets all attributes on an equal basis (apart from additional focus, in case you use it as part of a player's individual training). Conversely, role-oriented training primarily targets the attributes highlighted for that particular role. 

And when it comes to role-oriented training, it is not necessary to train a player in the same role you play him in. For example, you can train a player as a CF and play him as AF. 

9 hours ago, ferrarinseb said:

If i train a DM who i want him to learn a bit of defensive side in defensive Unit with no Positional Training only his defensive Attributes will be targeted and vice versa if i put in Attacking Unit.  Is that it @Experienced Defender

I guess you meant with no Role training? If you train him in a DM position without a specific role, then yes - the training unit he is in will affect which attributes will be targeted more. Although the unit also has an impact when a player is trained in a specific role, but then some attributes have precedence over others.

On 24/01/2021 at 22:52, Experienced Defender said:

Sorry, positional training does not target all attributes equally. Instead, which attributes will be targeted more depends on which training unit (defensive or attacking) the player is part of. 

ok, thanks!