How to make a dirty team?

What tactical screens in the game allow me to create something where my players go out on to the pitch to break legs, elbow players, spit, fight...essentially play the game the right way.

Football is about winning a war, no room for friends.. if we are losing, I want 2 footers flying in... if we are winning, we dive for free kicks, roll around for 30 minutes on the floor to time waste.

Niggly, nasty, a proper bunch of horrible players that no one wants to face :D

Two aspects.  Look for players with high Aggression, Determination, Work Rate and - perhaps most importantly - you want to scout out players that have "a competitive streak".  This indicates the hidden Dirtiness attribute - their willingness to break the rules.

As far as team or player instructions go, tight marking, lots of pressing, get stuck in (which don't really have much to do with dirty play but it helps your players get up in the grill of their opponents) and loads of time wasting.

Get all of that in place and see how many matches get abandoned because you don't have enough players left on the pitch :p.  (I wonder if that's even a thing in FM, might be fun to find out).

In all honesty I doubt you'll ever get a really nasty team set up, but that "competitive streak" attribute can be a bit of a killer.

"Football is not for ballerinas".

Sounds like you fancy players with high Aggression. Not sure how well "dark arts" are represented in the graphical engine, but as per description from the Manual, apparently they're part of the game:

This reflects a player’s attitude in terms of playing mentality, but is not necessarily a dirtiness indicator. A more aggressive player looks to involve himself in every incident, press more often, tackle harder, foul more often, and engage in the ‘darker arts’ of football such as dissent towards officials and foul play.

Keep an eye on high Dirtiness though, as it tends to mix very poorly with high Aggression. :D

How do I find dirtiness?

I have setup a basic 4-4-2 with everyone to tackle hard, press, man mark... im getting fouls in good numbers, but the cards dont follow :D

I dont normally do tactics so all the screens are new to me, so im probably missing something simple.

16 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

How do I find dirtiness?

You have to look at individual player coach or scout reports (one of the tabs at the top of their profile screen).  If you see in there text along the lines of "has a competitive streak" then you know you have the next Chopper Harris.

I would imagine players who have high aggression but poor anticipation and positioning might yield more cards (in conjunction with some of the tactical instructions already mentioned). At least in theory, you'd think a player who is aggressive about challenging the opposition but is bad at reading the game and positioning himself in these challenges would lead to more fouls.

Things heating up... 

Copa Argentina 5 Games (we have made the Final somehow!)

13 Yellows, 1 Red, from 102 fouls

Primera Nacional B (14 games)

34 Yellows, 1 Red, from 245 fouls

edit - I do not fine anyone who gets a suspension from Red or Yellow card accumulation. Thought it would be unfair to punish those who play for the badge :mad:

Edited by bestbrother

16 hours ago, howard moon said:

If I remember correctly, in much older versions of the game you’d get players punching each other.

I have memories of the text commentary saying “he’s gone berserk”.

Now that's the animation I'd love to see. :D

Best I've seen so far was an elbow to the face:

W3TI1sS.png

OK so how did the season go.

Im Barracas Central in the Primera B, Argentine 2nd Division for those less cultured ;)

We played 32 league games (including 2 playoff games)...

We led the league in the following:

Fouls - 595 ( 120 more than the next team)

Yellow Cards - 78 (22 more than the next)

Red Cards - 4

We would add another 15 yellows and 1 Red in 6 Copa Argentina games, as we somehow got the Final but lost. Still a great day out :D

The worst player in the team was 36 y/o Franco Cangele, he collected 3 Reds, surprisingly he added just 6 yellows from his team high 94 fouls ...... whilst Carlos Fondacaro led the team with 14 yellows in 26 appearances.

Not bad, im hoping now the team are used to the aggressive tactic and with a chance to change the squad up, we can get worse and teams will hate playing El Guapo :mad:

Probably going to make a FM Career update for this save as im enjoying the challenge and how things can progress long term.

But as this is the spiritual home of "Los Carniceros de Barracas" ill show you our season 2 improvement :D

Not a bad season on the pitch, we failed to hit the highs of a Copa run, falling straight away in the 5th Round (note the Copa crosses 2 seasons, so we have started next years already!)

Anyway in the Primera B we just drew too many games. We rallied for a bit to edge into the top half and nicked 6th, there was an outside chance in the final weeks to make the playoffs but we needed too much to go our way.

No one cares about that though, its all about the filth... so in 34 games (league expanded) we led the charts in:

Fouls 665 (170 ahead of the next team)

Yellow Cards 113 (44 more than the next team)

Red Cards 6 (a couple more than Temperley)

We did what we came to achieve, individually its going to be a sad day this summer as Franco Cangele hangs up his studs, as again he earned 3 Red Cards, this time with 10 yellows as he single handedly dished our 103 fouls in his 28 appearances ) :D

Tobias Coppo, Carlos Fondacaro and Cristian Villagra also hit double digits for bookings as only 2 players in the squad stayed out of the book. Keeper Villalba and Forward Lucas Cardozo...

On 21/01/2021 at 22:50, bestbrother said:

What tactical screens in the game allow me to create something where my players go out on to the pitch to break legs, elbow players, spit, fight...essentially play the game the right way.

Football is about winning a war, no room for friends.. if we are losing, I want 2 footers flying in... if we are winning, we dive for free kicks, roll around for 30 minutes on the floor to time waste.

Niggly, nasty, a proper bunch of horrible players that no one wants to face :D

Tbh we need a dirtiness slider for this to happen. Otherwise you just need to find players who have the competitiveness streak. The issue then becomes whether this guys get sent off for being overly aggressive. I know that years ago i raised this with SI but I doubt they are going to allow players to intentionally go around breaking legs.

On 23/01/2021 at 13:58, Zemahh said:

Now that's the animation I'd love to see. :D

Best I've seen so far was an elbow to the face:

W3TI1sS.png

I'm trying to remember back to CM2 because i'm pretty sure i had a player elbow someone either during a tackle or off the ball and got a 9 game ban!! Happy Days :lol:

On 25/01/2021 at 12:47, bestbrother said:

Im in the top flight now, we won promotion last year (im doing a FM Career update thread if you want to catch up).

However just to show how things are progressing, game 3 of our season and we rack up 36 fouls.... for this to happen :D

cards.png

Laureano Nutz is the perfect name!

I love this idea btw