AI clubs playing wingless formations needlessly buying wingers

So I am playing in the 2. Bundesliga and in January 2022 I noticed that Fortuna Düsseldorf had forked out €5.5 million on Danjuma from Bournemouth, the first thing that struck me was that it was an awful lot of money to spend on a single player for this league, then I remembered that Fortuna play a 5-2-1-2 that does not use any wingers, meaning they just threw away a significant sum of money for nothing.

I had a look around at other clubs that play wingless systems, and sure enough, RB Leipzig, Atalanta, Lazio and Inter have all spent significant sums on wingers over the last two transfer windows, desperately trying to fill a need that they do not have.

The end result of this is of course that these players sit and rot, since the clubs do not actually have anywhere for them to play. The clubs waste tremendous amounts of money and the players have their careers ruined.

Hello and thanks for the feedback.

Is it possible to upload a savegame for us to investigate? Here's how you can: 

Ideally, one before the transfers occurred (a week or two, or even a month prior) and one after the deals :)

Kind regards,

Vik

Best I can do is a save made ~5 months after the fact. This is not a save game-specific issue though, I've had a look at my other saved games and this pattern repeats itself in all of them, in one save Lazio spent €55m on Reiss Nelson and only gave him four appearances as a sub across the entire season.

I'll keep and eye on these clubs transfer activity and upload a saved game the next time I spot something. :thup:

Made a new save and now in the summer of 2021 there have been a handful of transfers that fit this pattern, including:

Viktor Tsygankov to Atalanta

Tete to Lazio

Renato Steffen to Frankfurt

Raphinha to Rasenballsport Leipzig

Ismaila Sarr to Rasenballsport Leipzig

Steffen was a free transfer, the others are all expensive or very expensive transfers for the clubs in question.

Uploaded the saved games "1july2021" from before the transfers and "6august2021" from after the transfers to the cloud.