Need tips badly for an AMC

I have a super talented AMC that wants to only play AMC (it was a promise i had to say yes to) and every formaiton I try and create he seems to just not get any great amount of touches.  It seems like the ball just largely get's passed around him.

I've played over 10 years of FM and it seems like every year the AMC role keeps getting more useless.

My play a regular possession system.

5 minutes ago, LHurlz said:

Better to post a screenshot of the type of tactic you've regularly been using :)

I have played 4-2-3-1 and now am trying an aysmetrical 4-2-3-1 to try and get the AMC as much space as possible.  I want to talk about peoples experience with the AMC position rather than nit pick my line up.  I feel like the role gets worse and worse every year.  I cant get a talented AMC to barely get a goal or assist.

1 minute ago, 209vaughn said:

I have played 4-2-3-1 and now am trying an aysmetrical 4-2-3-1 to try and get the AMC as much space as possible.  I want to talk about peoples experience with the AMC position rather than nit pick my line up.  I feel like the role gets worse and worse every year.  I cant get a talented AMC to barely get a goal or assist.

Okay fair enough.  I generally agree with you tbh and tend to struggle getting much consistency from an AMC whenever I use one.  I'm currently using a 4231 myself and my AMC has 4 goals and 2 assists in 7 games, but 3 of those goals came in one game and the other was a penalty:lol:  

I think AM role is completely fine, if set up correctly. 

You can use him on a support duty with an attacking striker in front of him for a more direct style of play

or on an attacking duty with a supporting striker in front of him for a more possession based style of play

playing both AM an Striker on an attack duty might just lead into overloading central attack. That’s properbly not what you want especially if that area is packed anyway

21 minutes ago, LHurlz said:

Okay fair enough.  I generally agree with you tbh and tend to struggle getting much consistency from an AMC whenever I use one.  I'm currently using a 4231 myself and my AMC has 4 goals and 2 assists in 7 games, but 3 of those goals came in one game and the other was a penalty:lol:  

My other issue is that he starts EVERY game as Aggressive and unhappy and i have to give him like 3 shout outs a match to calm down.  It's been one of my worst signings because im stuck playing with him at AMC bc of this arbitrary promise i had to make.

I would much rather just put him as an attacking central mid that can dribble up field into space at least.  But if i did that he would be unhappy and want a transfer.

18 minutes ago, 209vaughn said:

Ok i didnt realize how easy it was to upload a screen so here it is.....  With my AMC instructions.  Reminder he demands to play that role.

Nottingham.png

Two IFs and APS congest the middle making it harder for your AMC to operate.

Your AF is also isolated up there.

The right IF doesn't get proper support from his fb. 

Usually shorter passing is enough alone unless the opponent is a deep and narrow block.

Your DMD might not have enough close passing options.

Edited by frukox

Just now, frukox said:

Two IFs and APS congest the middle making it harder for your AMC to operate.

Your AF is also isolated up there.

The right IF doesn't get proper support from his fb. 

Usually shorter passing is enough alone unless the opponent is a deep and narrow block.

Your DMD might not have enough close passing options.

You actually make good points about the IFs...  The reason i put them as IF is that they don't cross well, but they do dribble well and was hoping to FEED the AMC.  But it could cause them all demanding the ball in the same area.

About the 4231: You want your AM to be the main man, yet you use a playmaker behind him. Your two wingers will do the same and cut inside, dribble, shoot=not much for the opposition to think about.

Let's think about how your striker is getting supply/support. The player on the left can be an inside forward, cutting inside, shooting, having someone overlap. Great! Then you have the AM providing through balls, connecting the midfieled (btw is he doing that?), on the right you could have a different type of role providing a different type of attack than the guy on the left. Like Wide target man, winger.

What's your thinking behind the PIs you have given to this player?

Just now, robot_skeleton said:

About the 4231: You want your AM to be the main man, yet you use a playmaker behind him. Your two wingers will do the same and cut inside, dribble, shoot=not much for the opposition to think about.

Let's think about how your striker is getting supply/support. The player on the left can be an inside forward, cutting inside, shooting, having someone overlap. Great! Then you have the AM providing through balls, connecting the midfieled (btw is he doing that?), on the right you could have a different type of role providing a different type of attack than the guy on the left. Like Wide target man, winger.

What's your thinking behind the PIs you have given to this player?

I've given him those instructions because he has a ton of skill such as touch, off the ball and lots of high mental attributes.  Honestly just trying to give him quality touches in or outside the box.

1 hour ago, 209vaughn said:

You actually make good points about the IFs...  The reason i put them as IF is that they don't cross well, but they do dribble well and was hoping to FEED the AMC.  But it could cause them all demanding the ball in the same area.

You need to supply your AF properly in this tactic, which means they have to create space in different ways for your AF while he creates depth for them to do their thing in different phases of an attacking build-up without getting disconnected with the back four and the double pivot. That's the essence of a proper 4231 system.

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

How do you mean "he demands"? 

You are the manager, not him.

When i signed him he had one of those "Promises" to play him as an Attacking Mid.  At the contract screen it was a demand i could not change.   Am i committing managerial suicide by breaking it?

7 minutes ago, 209vaughn said:

Wait TWO CM DMs??  I never thought about this.  So you get the AM lot of room to create?

Yes I had one of the DM as a voltante and the other one as a DLP.

But if you do that you might want to change your passing to at least standard

Edited by DarJ

14 hours ago, 209vaughn said:

Both actually.  He is the biggest diva i've ever had on a team.  

So he demanded both to be played in an AMC position and AM as a role, right? And what about duty - did he also insist to be played on support or that does not matter?

In any case, you need to create a system around him that would optimally suit his role and duty. And of course, the system as a whole - regardless of him and his role - needs to make sense as well. 

The point is that the performance of any player is affected by a lot more factors than the role you play him in. In other words, simply changing a player's role alone will not necessarily help to improve his game. Because very often the source of a problem is not the role of a particular player but rather roles/duties of those around him. No role works in isolation. Instead, roles interact with one another and that interaction then produces a good or bad tactical system, which in turn affects performances of these players.