I've played fm and its predecessor for years and usually do alright with a single tactic for home and away games. It ends up that I can go through the divisions, win titles, no problems. This year for the first time, i have really felt results away from home much harder to come by. I've played 3 seasons so far with a team that is skint. First season - promotion from league 1 via play offs, but only due to very strong home record. Second season - just below mid table in championship with 2 away wins all season. Third season nearly finished - in bottom half and only escaping relegation when I decided to make 2 seperate tactics. One which I use for all home games which is quite attacking, and one for all away games which is more cautious. Suddenly I'm winning away games. This wasn't happening in the first season even though I used a cautious counter attacking tactic in all games. I reasonable decent at this game and have plenty of years playing it, but it's the first time I have decided I need a seperate away tactic. Obviously 3 seasons in a single save doesn't mean much, but just wondered if this is what other people are finding with fm21. How does fm21 compare statistically to real life home advantage, does anyone know? (For ai teams as well as human controlled teams)

As an addition to my post, I just thought I'd have a quick look at home advantage and how its been affected by covid this season, and according to a couple of websites the Premier league has home wins at 37 per cent and away wins at 38 per cent so far this season. So this year is maybe not the best to compare anything to!

8 hours ago, Valleyg said:

according to a couple of websites the Premier league has home wins at 37 per cent and away wins at 38 per cent so far this season. So this year is maybe not the best to compare anything to!

on the contrary this year is a perfect control group, since there are no fans so you can isolate the effect of fans. I'd be very surprised if nobody has looked into this somewhere on the internet. Comparing all league games and results with and without fans. Sounds like a fun thing to do (well, except the initial data processing).

On the home/away advantage in FM. It is not something that is directly encoded into the game. By that I mean there is not like a "boost home team attributes by +1" or something. It is just that teams are more willing to attack you when they play at home, so you have to be more careful. And attacking is a lot more fluent and generally better in FM21 than it has been for the last few iterations (through balls exist, for example). So if you are too open when you are away from home (and the opposition is trying to attack you too) then you can concede. 

Typically I do not use a separate tactic for home and away, but I will modify my base tactic for some away games to make them more defensively solid if I feel I will not easily be able to handle the opposition. So if you changes are able to mitigate risk while exposing the opposition if they push forward too much, it makes sense it would work well compared to being too open and conceding too many goals.

Edited by sporadicsmiles
pressed the enter button by accident, posted half way though