Is there anything glaringly wrong with how I’ve set up? It’s working okay but my striker gets a bit lost at times, however the two strikers I have in my squad that I started with are both very similar - short, 12 pace, decent finishers, good off the ball, not amazing work rate. Not really adept at dropping off and linking the play, hence the role I’ve opted for at the moment.

P(a)

IF(a)               AM(s)            IF(s)

DLP(s)      BWM(d)

WB(s)    CD(d)      CD(d)    WB(a)

GK(d)

Mentality - I’ve flipped between Balanced, Cautious and Positive. None are particularly better than the others.

TIs - Much Shorter Passing, Slightly Lower Tempo (sometimes Slightly Higher), Play out of Defence, Fairly Narrow

Distribute to defence

Lower Line of Engagement 

I’ve tried to implement a split block where my front 4 press harder than the rest. 

My thinking is that a Poacher will sit centrally and be the main goal threat, but I’m worried he’ll get lost between the centre halves. I’m also not sure if the AM(s) is the best role behind him.

I moved to Fairly Narrow because my Inside Forwards weren’t impacting the game as much as I wanted. It’s better now but I’m still not convinced about my centre forward role with the inside forwards. Maybe an Inverted Winger on the right on Support? Then I’ve got my two goal threats from the left and centrally?

I’ve also got my full backs on Stay Wider because they were getting too narrow and not offering an option out wide.

Would it make more sense to have standard width and put the inside forwards on Sit Narrower when we have the ball? I very rarely use this formation so I’m never really sure what to do with it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by OrientTillIDie

@OrientTillIDie What kind of Team are you playing? Is it rather the favorite in every match or more of a mid table team? I can help you improving your tactics then.

right now your are looking for a rather slow transitional play with shorter passes but asking your players being quite direct in terms of roles and duties what might lead to the isolation of your striker. 

19 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

@OrientTillIDie What kind of Team are you playing? Is it rather the favorite in every match or more of a mid table team? I can help you improving your tactics then.

right now your are looking for a rather slow transitional play with shorter passes but asking your players being quite direct in terms of roles and duties what might lead to the isolation of your striker. 

I’m predicted to finish mid table, but I think I’ve actually got a pretty decent squad. EFL League 2 but most of my squad are relatively adept technically. 

Possession based 4-2-3-1

15 hours ago, OrientTillIDie said:

Lower Line of Engagement 

Lower LOE and possession football do not go hand in hand. Such a combo really makes no sense (even in a defensive possession style, let alone otherwise).  

On 12/01/2021 at 00:18, OrientTillIDie said:

Is there anything glaringly wrong with how I’ve set up? It’s working okay but my striker gets a bit lost at times, however the two strikers I have in my squad that I started with are both very similar - short, 12 pace, decent finishers, good off the ball, not amazing work rate. Not really adept at dropping off and linking the play, hence the role I’ve opted for at the moment.

P(a)

DLP(s)      BWM(d)

GK(d)

Mentality - I’ve flipped between Balanced, Cautious and Positive. None are particularly better than the others.

TIs - Much Shorter Passing, Slightly Lower Tempo (sometimes Slightly Higher), Play out of Defence, Fairly Narrow

Distribute to defence

Lower Line of Engagement 

I’ve tried to implement a split block where my front 4 press harder than the rest. 

My thinking is that a Poacher will sit centrally and be the main goal threat, but I’m worried he’ll get lost between the centre halves. I’m also not sure if the AM(s) is the best role behind him.

I moved to Fairly Narrow because my Inside Forwards weren’t impacting the game as much as I wanted. It’s better now but I’m still not convinced about my centre forward role with the inside forwards. Maybe an Inverted Winger on the right on Support? Then I’ve got my two goal threats from the left and centrally?

I’ve also got my full backs on Stay Wider because they were getting too narrow and not offering an option out wide.

Would it make more sense to have standard width and put the inside forwards on Sit Narrower when we have the ball? I very rarely use this formation so I’m never really sure what to do with it.

Thanks in advance.

Funnily enough I have a very similar set up to you in terms of roles and formation. Only difference is my GK is a SK and I have one BPD with a CB. I also have one IF on attack and one on IW support and I play an advanced playmaker instead of AM. 

I also play shorter passing, fairly narrow but with a higher LoE and DL as like already mentioned you cant play possession football with a lower setting. 

I'm also experiencing the same problem, my IW and my AP are my best performers but my striker is struggling to score. I've tried him in AF, PF and P roles but always the same. I'm currently Just making slight changes in games and seeing what effects they have, that's all you can do I guess. 

Hope you find a solution :thup:

On 12/01/2021 at 03:18, OrientTillIDie said:

P(a)

DLP(s)      BWM(d)

GK(d)

Distribute to defence

Lower Line of Engagement 

Thanks in advance.

As ED said, lower LOE generally pertains itself to cautious defensive styles so I think you should go for a possession-based mid or high block to keep the ball with intent. However, your distribution of roles and duties doesn't go hand in hand with the style of play you are after be it defensive or attacking. 

Your attacking four mostly lends itself to a fast transition style. IFA, IFS and PA will go direct taking risks in the early stages of your build-up while AMS might be very deep to support those three players. To worsen this, you went for a static double-pivot to compensate for the attacking fullbacks. Your right side unnecessarily takes too many risks and there is a huge mentality gap on that flank. To press effectively you have to have players with close mentalities. 

I suggest you take either Cautious or Balanced mentality to play a low-risk possession game with aggressive defensive instructions with different roles to implement this play style better. 

Edited by frukox

@aritra14 As frukox rightly suggested, you'll have to start your own separate thread if you want to discuss your tactic. Because this thread is exclusively about the OP's tactic. Hijacking other people's threads is not allowed.

Not to different with how I play in terms of the setup. As others have said though with the short passing, low line of engagement then I can see how you might struggle to score goals.

I usually play on standard LoE and Standard back line and always start with a defensive mentality as feel the tactic is heavy up top. Passing I try and use standard and less dribbling. In transition I always use regroup because as soon as we lose the ball I want my team to get back into their defensive shape. I will use counter if I feel the team I’m playing against are quite slow in pace.

As a match progresses I might change the mentality and go cautious, balanced or even positive depending on how it is going but likewise if the opposition changes then I would adapt too so I may need to come back down on mentality. Usually I find as I change the mentality the sweet spot for tempo is slightly higher with standard passing and leaving the LoE and Def Line as standard they vary as I change the mentality.

The AM (s) I prefer in an attack role rather than support so he’s making runs into the box or if the player has good enough attributes then a SS is another option. The midfield combo I like is a Mezzala who I think works well with an Inside Forward. The other CM I might play a DLP on def or sup, BWM, CM on def all depending on what the situation is.

Against teams that are better than me I will drop the AM and put him as a DM so I don’t get overrun but change one of the inside forwards to attack and the mezzala to attack. I also like the poacher to move into channels.

By having a defensive mentality doesn’t mean I’m playing as defensive. I always try and look at the mentality of the roles to see how attacking my team is.

On 12/01/2021 at 16:03, Experienced Defender said:

Lower LOE and possession football do not go hand in hand. Such a combo really makes no sense (even in a defensive possession style, let alone otherwise).  

I wonder if Graham Potter will read this?

13 minutes ago, JPChenet said:

I wonder if Graham Potter will read this?

Why him? BHA does not play possession football under him. Thankfully, I would add. Because their style of play is really a joy to watch, even if that's (unfortunately) not currently reflected in their results. 

Thank you all for the advice. I did initially set up with a higher LOE but just kept getting beaten by the long ball which is why I dropped it lower. I'll persevere with the higher lines and make a few tweaks to my player roles. Thanks for the guidance!

2 hours ago, OrientTillIDie said:

I did initially set up with a higher LOE but just kept getting beaten by the long ball which is why I dropped it lower

Long balls from opposition are more about the D-line than LOE (although the two always work together).