Dealing with 3-5-2/3-6-1s with my own

Hey all.

I am currently in a decent position with tactics that deal with most of what my opponents throw at me but the best sides in my division tend to play 3-6-1s that just dominate both my more aggressive and more passive tactics. I seem to lose match-ups so want to develop my own utilising my good players. 

I have two questions.

1. Are the roles selected here gonna work?

2. What style of football should I look to play? Long ball and winning headers won't serve me well as we have crap heading.

The roles.

CB, CB, CB

CW (A)       REG (S)         SV (A)     CW (S)

SS (A)       AM (S)

PF (A)

57 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Are the roles selected here gonna work?

My main concern would be the lack of defensive solidity, simply because you use both attack-minded and roaming roles on both flanks without any holding role in the midfield. This risk might be somewhat offset by the bottom-heavy nature of the system, but the question remains if that's going to suffice. 

Up front, I would only reconsider the lone striker's role (not duty), primarily in terms of the partnership with the SS. In that respect, I would prefer a more creative and generally mobile role, e.g. CF, TQ or DLF (if the first 2 are too demanding for your striker). 

1 hour ago, Wavelberry said:

What style of football should I look to play? Long ball and winning headers won't serve me well as we have crap heading

Definitely more direct and oriented toward faster transitions, but not necessarily a pure long-ball (hoofball) style. 

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

My main concern would be the lack of defensive solidity, simply because you use both attack-minded and roaming roles on both flanks without any holding role in the midfield. This risk might be somewhat offset by the bottom-heavy nature of the system, but the question remains if that's going to suffice. 

Up front, I would only reconsider the lone striker's role (not duty), primarily in terms of the partnership with the SS. In that respect, I would prefer a more creative and generally mobile role, e.g. CF, TQ or DLF (if the first 2 are too demanding for your striker). 

Definitely more direct and oriented toward faster transitions, but not necessarily a pure long-ball (hoofball) style. 

Yeah this chimes with my thinking and I hadn't thought about getting someone more roamy up front so that's an interesting idea. The flanks will be key so will experiment with just wingbacks maybe. It's pre-season so have time to mint this before the new one starts.