Team instructions being ignored

My goalkeeper - no player traits - has been told to take less risks and pass it shorter. The team has been told to roll it out, distribute to the centre-backs or full-backs, and to play out of defence. And yet my goalkeeper consistently ignores safe short options to lump it up-field, giving away possession and costing us goals.

Corners, I have three players set to stay back. I just conceded as only one player was back. And no, the taker wasn't one of the three set to stay back. Just - what is the point in a football manager game where the players don't do what they're told. Why was only one man staying back? 

image.png.f973a62e01d269f92632dc2580a5de53.png

image.png.fd52a0f34e848c21de9d81fc4f81dd96.png

MCL is #5. DR is #24. Also note neither #45 or #10 on the edge of the box where they're instructed to be. This is the only routine I have setup. Also, why is #3 not more central? 

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word

As far as the goalkeeper is concerned even though you’ve told him to pass it short etc, if players are being marked/pressed then he will go long instead which is quite logical and makes sense.

Edited by Hilly1979

22 minutes ago, Hilly1979 said:

As far as the goalkeeper is concerned even though you’ve told him to pass it short etc, if players are being marked/pressed then he will go long instead which is quite logical and makes sense.

As I said, he's ignoring short options who aren't being marked or pressed.

1 hour ago, Sophos said:

My goalkeeper - no player traits - has been told to take less risks and pass it shorter. The team has been told to roll it out, distribute to the centre-backs or full-backs, and to play out of defence. And yet my goalkeeper consistently ignores safe short options to lump it up-field, giving away possession and costing us goals

Which role and duty do you play him in? Ordinary GK or SK? If the latter, then which duty?

It's hard to offer any specific explanation or advice without seeing the tactic as a whole (screenshot), because when instructions seem to be "ignored", that's usually a result of some contradiction within the tactic. 

1 hour ago, Sophos said:

Corners, I have three players set to stay back. I just conceded as only one player was back. And no, the taker wasn't one of the three set to stay back. Just - what is the point in a football manager game where the players don't do what they're told. Why was only one man staying back?

This definitely sounds like a bug, so you should report it in the bugs forum. 

1 hour ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

I've had the GK hoofball thing with both a SK(De) and SK(Su), although the latter is a bit more expected (just the frequency seems greater than last year)

Yes, that's what Rashidi also stressed as a notable difference in SK behavior in FM21 compared to previous versions. 

I think happens more in lower leagues. The other day I loaded up a tier 10 data base just to try things out and I just plugged in one of my tactic and the GK never played it short and when I used the same tactic with a top division side the GK follows instruction