Alternate system to how Potential works in this game

So, instead of having PA as the ceiling for a player, it should be changed into "Growth Potential", what this stat does is it dictates the possibility of a player passing a "check" that improves his stats once he satisfied the requirements to have this "check".

Let's say we have a 17 y.o player A with 100 CA and 80 "GP" (max 100). we promote player A into senior team, have him play pro matches, train with the best coaches, has great personality. all these factors give him something like "experience points",  and once he gets enough exp, the game will do a "check", which takes into account the player's GP and determine if he passes the check or not. in player A's case, he will pass the check 80% of the times

if he passes the check, he gains some attributes, and his exp goes back to 0, and the next check will require more exp points since he now has a higher CA. also a U18 player will gain more exp from training while a U23 player will gain more from playing, while older players will gain exp slower

if he fails the check, he doesn't improve, his exp goes back to 0 but his next check will require the same amount of exp.

we can also have an exp decay, if a player doesn't gain any exp for a long time due to injury or being unemployed, or simply is just a lazy player who doesn't get game time, he will get a level down "check", where if they fail the check they will lose stats instead. this decay increases with age as well, so older players will decline more naturally due to these level downs, and players like ronaldo and buffon can counter this decline by training and playing extra hard

apply this system to any real world player and you can have a much easier time explaining their development progress, instead of just "this guy has 180 PA so he will get better and better until he reaches this number".

we'll see less of players who got everything going right for them (professional, game time, training) that are just stuck at 140 PA while being 18 years old just because the game says so. now, even if he doesn't have much talent, with 70 GP, he can still improve steadily with lots of game time, training, professionalism, ambition, albeit slower since he will fail more of these checks.

also we can see more redemption arcs like vardy's, since even if he only had 120 CA at 25 years old, if the stars aligned (which it did IRL) and he kept nailing these checks, he can improve to 160 CA in a year. with the old system, if you sign him at 120 CA at 25 years old, no matter what you do he will only gain 20 CA a year at most

basically I just don't like having an unexplainable hard cap for a player potential. I'd rather chalk it down to the player failing the check due to having low GP, that way I have incentive to keep playing him, rather than stop giving him any play time because he "reached his magical number ceiling"

give me your feedback everyone. who knows maybe some other company could use this idea when they make a competitor game to FM :P

I've opened a similar thread and I also think that game would be better and more fun with some kind of dynamic potential but at least from my thread - it seems that people are mainly happy with capped potential and this strange/limited development system, so I don't expect SI to improve anything here, but I wish they notice your idea.

Alongside late-bloomers and more fun, this would also make every new save game even more different. With this current system and hard cap PA, player could win 10 ballon d'orOrs in a row and not improve at all. It is very limited. But as I've said, other people like that.