Setting up intra-league promotion playoffs

Rainbowz

In my Welsh file, there are multiple leagues which require promotion playoffs featuring the champions of each league. However, some leagues at those levels have straight promotion/relegation, so it's not something I can set up through basic rules. I've tried looking at the advanced editor myself, but can't figure out how to get it working.

Would someone be willing to talk me through how setting this up works, or I could send you the file and you could take a look yourself? I'm ready to release my database and this is the last hurdle to that, I'm desperate to get this issue sorted.

1 minute ago, Rainbowz said:

In my Welsh file, there are multiple leagues which require promotion playoffs featuring the champions of each league. However, some leagues at those levels have straight promotion/relegation, so it's not something I can set up through basic rules. I've tried looking at the advanced editor myself, but can't figure out how to get it working.

Would someone be willing to talk me through how setting this up works, or I could send you the file and you could take a look yourself? I'm ready to release my database and this is the last hurdle to that, I'm desperate to get this issue sorted.

Best way is to create promotion playoff in basic rules and to convert to advanced. This way you can take a look how its done.

Its not hard at all.

1 minute ago, krlenjushka said:

Best way is to create promotion playoff in basic rules and to convert to advanced. This way you can take a look how its done.

Its not hard at all.

I tried that but it wouldn't validate properly. 

I tried that but it wouldn't validate properly. 

Yeah several guys here had similar issues. Editor validation is still bugged but dont worry about that. You can do this just to see how its done.

9 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Yeah several guys here had similar issues. Editor validation is still bugged but dont worry about that. You can do this just to see how its done.

I meant it wouldn't let me switch to Advanced Rules because it wouldn't validate.

If I try to do it with the right amount of teams going up and the 4 leagues having a playoff;

11b5bf2538c2445fd2698e28f4750a27.png

If I try to do it with the 4 leagues having a playoff and everyone going up

3dca5dc627bab0b9cb11115a8c63a79a.png

5081cdb2cc877c0975686b4de1de7c43.png

That's the structure I'm following, so the other leagues have straight promotions, it's just the leagues under the West Wales PL that need a playoff.

2 hours ago, Rainbowz said:

If I try to do it with the right amount of teams going up and the 4 leagues having a playoff;

11b5bf2538c2445fd2698e28f4750a27.png

If I try to do it with the 4 leagues having a playoff and everyone going up

3dca5dc627bab0b9cb11115a8c63a79a.png

5081cdb2cc877c0975686b4de1de7c43.png

That's the structure I'm following, so the other leagues have straight promotions, it's just the leagues under the West Wales PL that need a playoff.

Well i guess you have error somewhere in your promotion/relegation/playoff settings. Upload your file if you want.

15 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Well i guess you have error somewhere in your promotion/relegation/playoff settings. Upload your file if you want.

I've attached the original Advanced file I have, it has the correct relegations set up.

The other leagues to check that need a playoff are listed below, going into their respective leagues. There's a chance something might be wrong there too.

e5207960dac42286557cf762ad8b6a86.png

If you can see what's wrong with any of that, I'd be greatly appreciative. I absolutely suck with the editor and am just good at data gathering, so there's a chance my league logic is a mess.

Thanks in advance.

Wales Level 10 Advanced.fmf

6 minutes ago, Rainbowz said:

I've attached the original Advanced file I have, it has the correct relegations set up.

The other leagues to check that need a playoff are listed below, going into their respective leagues. There's a chance something might be wrong there too.

e5207960dac42286557cf762ad8b6a86.png

If you can see what's wrong with any of that, I'd be greatly appreciative. I absolutely suck with the editor and am just good at data gathering, so there's a chance my league logic is a mess.

Thanks in advance.

Wales Level 10 Advanced.fmf 143.69 kB · 0 downloads

Not sure where to look at. Where exactly you need playoff?

14 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Not sure where to look at. Where exactly you need playoff?

Need a playoff between champions of Pembrokeshire League Division One, Carmarthenshire League Premier Division, Swansea Senior League Division One and Neath & District League Premier Division (All Tier 5)  with 2 promoted to West Wales Premier

Then one with the above league champions (Aberdare through Vale of Glamorgan) at Tier 7 with two promoted to the South Wales Alliance Div 2

Then the others on the far right above (North Gwent through East Gwent) at Tier 7 again, with two promoted to the Gwent County Div 2

2 hours ago, Rainbowz said:

Need a playoff between champions of Pembrokeshire League Division One, Carmarthenshire League Premier Division, Swansea Senior League Division One and Neath & District League Premier Division (All Tier 5)  with 2 promoted to West Wales Premier

Then one with the above league champions (Aberdare through Vale of Glamorgan) at Tier 7 with two promoted to the South Wales Alliance Div 2

Then the others on the far right above (North Gwent through East Gwent) at Tier 7 again, with two promoted to the Gwent County Div 2

I created playoff between 4 divisions at level 5. Take a look how its done. Also take a look how promotion info should be set - Pembrokeshire League Division One is example.

Minimum overall promotion places for parent comp should be set to 17 in all child comps at level 5 because you have 17 promotions in total.

wales playoff.fmf

1 hour ago, krlenjushka said:

I created playoff between 4 divisions at level 5. Take a look how its done. Also take a look how promotion info should be set - Pembrokeshire League Division One is example.

Minimum overall promotion places for parent comp should be set to 17 in all child comps at level 5 because you have 17 promotions in total.

wales playoff.fmf 143.67 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks so much for that. Took a look and I think I understand it, but having trouble with the 8 team playoff. Think I set it up right but I can't get it to recognize the promotions, I just get this error

d19bf02cc8e5d56015d7f2b31a4d626e.png

I've attached my edited file if you have time to see what I did wrong.

1402584868_walesplayoff.fmf

Edited by Rainbowz

Thanks so much for that. Took a look and I think I understand it, but having trouble with the 8 team playoff. Think I set it up right but I can't get it to recognize the promotions, I just get this error

d19bf02cc8e5d56015d7f2b31a4d626e.png

I've attached my edited file if you have time to see what I did wrong.

1402584868_walesplayoff.fmf 143.68 kB · 0 downloads

Set flexible rules to all comps you have.

Screenshot_266.thumb.png.5a1cc6793cffb788b598fd835cd76527.png

14 minutes ago, Rainbowz said:

Minimum overall promotion places for parent comp should be set to number of promoted teams in level 7 - in total. Not sure how many teams are promoted - you will know better.

You didnt set this for level 6 either - i wrote about that couple posts ago.

Screenshot_267.thumb.png.69e0c02bc17e51f4b64d46073f2ec740.png

2 hours ago, krlenjushka said:

Minimum overall promotion places for parent comp should be set to number of promoted teams in level 7 - in total. Not sure how many teams are promoted - you will know better.

You didnt set this for level 6 either - i wrote about that couple posts ago.

Sorry to bother you again, but I've been at this for hours and I just can't get it working and I can't understand where I'm going wrong. The editor errors are just gibberish to me at this point.

If you can spot anything, please let me know. If you can fix it, it'd be hugely, hugely appreciated

wales playoff new.fmf

Edited by Rainbowz

On 06/01/2021 at 22:28, Rainbowz said:

Sorry to bother you again, but I've been at this for hours and I just can't get it working and I can't understand where I'm going wrong. The editor errors are just gibberish to me at this point.

If you can spot anything, please let me know. If you can fix it, it'd be hugely, hugely appreciated

wales playoff new.fmf 143.72 kB · 1 download

Sorry man - i can only help with some advice or something - cant make file for you. Dont have enough time.

Just now, krlenjushka said:

Sorry man - i can only help with some advice or something - cant make file for you. Dont have enough time.

No problem, just going to keep trial and erroring it until I get somewhere.

29 minutes ago, Rainbowz said:

No problem, just going to keep trial and erroring it until I get somewhere.

You added playoff to level 7 i think but its not good. 2 stages with same name, some strange settings...

You should really learn basics first. Try to add playoff with basic rules in some another file and take a look how its done when you convert to advanced.

Open fm20 editor for this so you can look at every stage setting when youre editing your file.

Without basic knowlege about advanced editor you will never be able to set this kind of league system.

Just dont forget we all were there where are you right now.

Only way is to learn things in editor - step by step.

If you dont know what youre doing - you will just waste your time.