Is there another patch coming soon for FM21? I want know if I should start a save now.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traditionally, the xx.3 update is out after the January transfers, so around end of Feb. That's all we can assume, but that's based on history. Technical issues requiring hotfixes (not that I'm aware of any technical issues right now) are almost always save compatible (if it's even possible to start a save, since it's a technical issue involving crashes etc) so nothing to worry about in that regard.

I can't recommend starting a new save until the match ratings bug is fixed. Personally the game isn't enjoyable for me in it's current state. You may find it enjoyable, but seeing my full backs get **** ratings game in and game out and not be able to do anything about it is infuriating. But that's just my two cents.

Edited by TheGrimWombat
Typo

41 minutes ago, ToniDoppelpack said:

So you think that obvious bugs (like wrong fixtures or completely missing stats) as well as nearly game breaking issues (like low ratings) will all not be fixed before a major update because these are not technical issues?

This would really be disappointing because as good the match engine is I think the game as a whole was never in such a bad condition in January...

Agree, also for FM Touch. It 's unplayable and in the worst shape ever in january. You can't even promote players from your B squad to your first team.. Match scheduling has errors.. Not enough youth Intake, bug with club vision, you can't even view match highlight when you simulate a match.. 

With such an amount of bugs I'm sure they will patch before the end of february.. You can't be so bad to your customers..

Edited by Samelders

Agree with the fm touch thing.

The player ratings are even more important in FM Touch because:

• People play faster
  • don't have time to analyse,
  • use instant result, so you use the player ratings as one of the most important indicators
Edited by DavyDepuydt1

I hope so because I'm playing FM Touch at the moment and not being able to move players from the B Team has caused me to stop my save until the bug is fixed. I know they usually release the next one after the Jan Window but I feel there are more than enough bugs floating around that are effecting the game well enough to require a patch/hotfix before the usually Feb/March update

Beta release ---Game Release---bugs---Major 1st update hotfix---more bugs---Xmas 2nd update---solves some issues---bug bugs bugs---February 3rd update---some more fixes but bugs still exist----no more updates so on to next installment,

Not a complaint but it runs this way every year after the release

My main gripe is the Pre Game Editor ...... The worse editor in living memory 

Beta release ---Game Release---bugs---Major 1st update hotfix---more bugs---Xmas 2nd update---solves some issues---bug bugs bugs---February 3rd update---some more fixes but bugs still exist----no more updates so on to next installment,

Not a complaint but it runs this way every year after the release

Couldnt agree with you more.. 

But still i think the ME is pretty good, but 4 huge bugs that i cant stand ! 

1. Player ratings

2. Goals from throw ins

3. AI managers not attacking you enogh and becuase of that the game is much more easier

4. Too many blocked crosess into corners 

Edited by GOODNAME

13 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

Bit disappointing if another patch isn't due soon. Had a look at the bugs section and its packed!!!  

If you looked at the bugs section at any point since the bugs section has been a thing, it would always be "packed".  It's not a very good metric.

13 hours ago, ImDaWeasel said:

You would surely expect a hotfix this week to sort out the game breaking bugs. Shouldn't take that long to sort out considering most of them were fine in the previous patch.

Also SI, please never release a big patch right before you go off on the christmas break.

"Expecting" a hotfix is rarely going to be a productive thing to do.  Compounding it with throwing out how it won't take very long makes it even less so.  Then believing that they just shut off the power on Christmas Eve and all disappeared as one over the festive period?  Well, you're likely batting 0 for 3.  Good going.

12 hours ago, Os said:

Why can't they just tell us their plans?

Because, even if they did know exact dates on things (which they don't), it would be an incredibly stupid decision to publish it.  Trust me.  As someone who develops for a living, there's a reason estimates are an incredibly difficult thing to give, and even the best laid plans can go awry.  If they give a date, you can almost guarantee that they'd miss one at least once.  You really think people are going to understand that these things happen and not throw their toys out the pram?  So you then put them in the awkward position of having to choose to please a vocal minority of people who will never be happy anyway and releasing something on-time that might not be ready, or opening themselves up to reputational harm.

Or, they could just do it the right way, like they've always done, and only release things when they're ready, on their own schedule.  It's a no-brainer.

I don't think people want a date... they would be happy to know if SI will just stick to what happened over the past few years, a patch end of february...

or if they are actively trying to bring in a patch earlier because they acknowledge that some issues 'deserve' a fix within a faster timeframe

For people it can make the difference to wait a few days / week or two, or if they know "nothing will probably come within the next 2 months", than they can make up their mind to still try to enjoy the current game or go back to something else or an older edition... but don't go and check the forum/steam a few times a day to see if their beloved game is updated and they can finally start a game because - for them- gamebreaking issues are resolved

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

14 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

I don't think people want a date... they would be happy to know if SI will just stick to what happened over the past few years, a patch end of february...

or if they are actively trying to bring in a patch earlier because they acknowledge that some issues 'deserve' a fix within a faster timeframe

For people it can make the difference to wait a few days / week or two, or if they know "nothing will probably come within the next 2 months", than they can make up their mind to still try to enjoy the current game or go back to something else or an older edition... but don't go and check the forum/steam a few times a day to see if their beloved game is updated and they can finally start a game because - for them- gamebreaking issues are resolved

This... just an indication of days, weeks or next patch (month+) would be amazing...

• Administrators

As we've said a few times over on the bugs forum, the issue in relation to player ratings is an issue we're aware of and are investigating with the aim of addressing it as soon as we can.

It's unrelated to anything regarding 'missing stats' so would recommend for any separate issues raising them directly on the bugs forum within their own thread. 

The youth intake issue has been largely addressed in previous updates (update describing those outstanding issues can be found here), if you have any specific examples where you think there's a problem please create a thread within our bugs forum so our QA team can investigate.

Thanks.  

14 hours ago, ImDaWeasel said:

You would surely expect a hotfix this week to sort out the game breaking bugs. Shouldn't take that long to sort out considering most of them were fine in the previous patch.

Also SI, please never release a big patch right before you go off on the christmas break.

This !!! This should be a hard learned lesson .. don't change things on Friday or before the holidays if you really want a nice weekend or vacation.

We had time to play, devs didn't have time to fix - so we got an unplayable product during Christmas break. That was very frustrating.

11 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

As we've said a few times over on the bugs forum, the issue in relation to player ratings is an issue we're aware of and are investigating with the aim of addressing it as soon as we can.

It's unrelated to anything regarding 'missing stats' so would recommend for any separate issues raising them directly on the bugs forum within their own thread. 

The youth intake issue has been largely addressed in previous updates, if you have any specific examples where you think there's a problem please create a thread within our bugs forum so our QA team can investigate.

Thanks.  

I think by "missing stats" they mean the fact that every player in an active league shows 0 key tackles, which is what is driving the player rating issue. 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, r0x0r said:

I think by "missing stats" they mean the fact that every player in an active league shows 0 key tackles, which is what is driving the player rating issue. 

Yeah we're already investigating the player ratings and it's completely unrelated to key tackles. 

So even if it's a seperate issue it's an imortant issue too. Especially since in former fm's you were able to count key tackles and dribblings properly. And it's hard to imagine that it's not related at all since key tackles and dribblings and other stats should be part of the rating, no? 

Another strange bug it the wrong scheduling at least in Premier League: Is that really hard to fix? I can't remember that that ever was an issue. Is it really so hard to quickly implement a schedule where I have one home and one away match against every other team? Something that was always workling?

1 hour ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Which, for the purposes of this, may as well be a date.  The same rule applies.  They'll be constantly working on trying to solve things.  Some of them might take a couple of days and be easier than expected and be ready to go.  Others might turn out to be utterly horrendous to fix, or even not be possible to fix at all.  If they happen across fixes to really unpopular issues in the game, and can confirm there are no adverse impacts anywhere else, then at that point they can maybe plan some kind of hot-fix.  But that's never going to be something you can say in advance with any reliability, which comes back to the original point.  All you can reasonably assume is that there will be a big update post transfer window.  There always is.  Unless SI say otherwise I'd assume that's coming.

6 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

I know it's getting frustrating to hear "when is going to be fixed ?" on and on, but maybe I can share with you the yearly FM gaming experience of a 40+ yo. ( yours truly ).

Now imagine it from the other side.  The game is released, continuing record numbers of people buy it.  Good job, right?  

It always baffles me when you see things like this, talking about how the game is constantly unplayable until a certain date, about how they can't enjoy it, yet they still routinely buy it.  Do you really expect much to change when that's the attitude?  SI are one of the better developers (although by no means perfect) but if you've chosen a way to do things, and you're seeing people continuing to buy the game and player numbers not really dipping, where is the reasoning behind them changing anything?  You think they're doing a bad job?  Maybe don't continually complain about them while simultaneously rewarding them.

7 minutes ago, ToniDoppelpack said:

Another strange bug it the wrong scheduling at least in Premier League: Is that really hard to fix? I can't remember that that ever was an issue. Is it really so hard to quickly implement a schedule where I have one home and one away match against every other team? Something that was always workling?

The double home/away issue (is that what you're talking about?) I don't believe has happened before, but if we're talking about wider scheduling issues...well, they've always been flaky.  Go deep in all tournaments, and you'll usually see the scheduling system break down quite quickly and have games at weird times all crammed together.  To say it was "always working" is a bit of a stretch.

Also worth noting that it doesn't really matter if something has always worked with regards to how easy it is to fix.  Everything is constantly evolving, and everything is likely linked in some way.  You can't often just press rewind and get one thing working without rewinding things you want to keep.  

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, ToniDoppelpack said:

So even if it's a seperate issue it's an imortant issue too. Especially since in former fm's you were able to count key tackles and dribblings properly. And it's hard to imagine that it's not related at all since key tackles and dribblings and other stats should be part of the rating, no? 

The reading of key tackles has been as it is currently throughout every match engine for FM21 and hasn't changed at any point since even before the Early Access Beta. It's something which has now been flagged and is being investigated. But as said, it is unrelated to the issue which is being seen in relation to player ratings. 

Scheduling was fixed in a previous update for all new saves, however it's not always easy to integrate this into existing save games. The answer to "Is it really so hard to quickly implement a schedule where I have one home and one away match against every other team" is yes, everything to do with scheduling and competitions is quite complicated and a difficult thing to do. Especially taking into account the changes required due to the circumstances around everything that's happened for the 20/21 season.  Again though, it is something we're looking into.

Thanks. 

27 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

I know it's getting frustrating to hear "when is going to be fixed ?" on and on, but maybe I can share with you the yearly FM gaming experience of a 40+ yo. ( yours truly ).

1. Buy the game early November .. toy around - don't start a long save because bugs, wait for a decent skin from the community because the game has funky colors and minimal info panels .. Old man's eyes.

Anyway I have 1 hour to play, hell maybe to 2 hours daily if I am not dead tired, cause you know: job, kid(s), wife -generally old man's life. Sooo..

2. Start doing your own skin, cause the game is buggy and it worth the wait for a December fix. Master the art of xml editing..  Old man's patience.

Finally here comes December... you can squeeze more game time because of Christmas break!!! Open the whisky bottles. Old man's taste.

3. December game unplayable... lower player ratings.  Not good. Old man's sorrow. 

4. In January am I going to start a new game cause my current save didn't progress very well because you know, almost everyone plays like 6.3 ? No ! wait for the February update ! Old man's despair. 

5. February DB update... maybe a patch for the match engine, some UI stuff.  I can finally play, Old man's happiness. 

6. October.. stop playing fm21, wait for fm22. Old man's enthusiasm.

Repeat.

Basically the game is playable 8-9 month a year. Every year from November till February it's a gamble, and then I am trying to squeeze into  maybe 2 hours of game time a day, all the things I want to do but I never manage to..

So now you see the old man's frustration...

Old man +1. Every single year for 20 years now, playing cm/fm. I have got pretty decent at skinning too. It’s actually as enjoyable, if not more, than playing the game. Especially in the first few months. As you detailed.

I’m very pleased I’ve learnt the art of patience, otherwise I’d be driving myself insane, like a fair few on here.

Edited by Tyburn

36 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Now imagine it from the other side.  The game is released, continuing record numbers of people buy it.  Good job, right?  

It always baffles me when you see things like this, talking about how the game is constantly unplayable until a certain date, about how they can't enjoy it, yet they still routinely buy it.  Do you really expect much to change when that's the attitude?  SI are one of the better developers (although by no means perfect) but if you've chosen a way to do things, and you're seeing people continuing to buy the game and player numbers not really dipping, where is the reasoning behind them changing anything?  You think they're doing a bad job?  Maybe don't continually complain about them while simultaneously rewarding them.

Whatever baffles you, it's your problem only ..  not mine :) . 

Also, my attitude was pretty decent considering the subject in hands.  I was trying to prove a point, explaining that there is a legitimate frustration among some players, also throwing a joke or two around, you know .. to lighten up cause it's not the end of the world, it's just a video game.

More to my buying habits - I believe they are not your problem, but thank you for concern. I can put you in touch with my wife, I think she has a similar view regarding how I spend my  our money ( <-- humor here! ).

As for me constantly complaining - it's hardly the case. I have posts regarding 2 ( two ) issues in the bug forums -- one  it's the ratting issue, the other it's a simple UI issue witch is bearable but annoying.

Other things concerning devs reason to change .. it's just too much of a serious discussion, and I've only drank tea. 

Go team !

Edited by BuzzR
Wife said it's OUR money!

7 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

Whatever baffles you, it's your problem only ..  not mine :) . 

Also, my attitude was pretty decent considering the subject in hands.  I was trying to prove a point, explaining that there is a legitimate frustration among some players, also throwing a joke or two around, you know .. to lighten up cause it's not the end of the world, it's just a video game.

More to my buying habits - I believe they are not your problem, but thank you for concern. I can put you in touch with my wife, I think she has a similar view regarding how I spend my money ( <-- humor here! ).

As for me constantly complaining - it's hardly the case. I have posts regarding 2 ( two ) issues in the bug forums -- one  it's the ratting issue, the other it's a simple UI issue witch is bearable but annoying.

Other things concerning devs reason to change .. it's just too much of a serious discussion, and I've only drank tea. 

Go team !

Fine.  But if your "yearly" experience involves repeatedly buying a product that you seem to expect will be "unplayable" (emphasis all your words by the way) for a sizeable chunk of your time with it then I don't think that's a me problem.  But fire in.

Edited by forameuss

34 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Old man +1. Every single year for 20 years now, playing cm/fm. I have got pretty decent at skinning too. It’s actually as enjoyable, if not more, than playing the game. Especially in the first few months. As you detailed.

I’m very pleased I’ve learnt the art of patience, otherwise I’d be driving myself insane, like a fair few on here.

I remember CM being so frustrating for me sometimes :) .. Played some FM during the years, with gaps of 1/2 year(s) maybe..

Last year went into skinning a little because at first I've noticed I need bigger fonts & dark background in order to see properly :))  and then I've seen player pictures and I said yes, I want this .. and bigger panels , or other panels on that screen, etc.

And this year I've got myself deeper into the skinning forum...still learning, but I'm happy with what I'm using right now.

And yes patience is a must with this game !! 

19 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Traditionally, the xx.3 update is out after the January transfers, so around end of Feb. That's all we can assume, but that's based on history. Technical issues requiring hotfixes (not that I'm aware of any technical issues right now) are almost always save compatible (if it's even possible to start a save, since it's a technical issue involving crashes etc) so nothing to worry about in that regard.

So we are stuck with the low player ratings until end of Feb? Surely a hotfix for this should be a matter of priority?

44 minutes ago, dunk105 said:

So we are stuck with the low player ratings until end of Feb? Surely a hotfix for this should be a matter of priority?

For more recent info, see Neil's recent replies in this thread.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Scheduling was fixed in a previous update for all new saves, however it's not always easy to integrate this into existing save games.

Thanks for the answer! So at least now I understood that the broken scheduling is already fixed for new saves (didn't know that).

This might be one for Neil.....

Is the plan this year to once again release a January Update (21.3.0), later followed by a winter update (21.4.0), as was the case last year or has a decision not been made on that yet?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, s6hammer said:

This might be one for Neil.....

Is the plan this year to once again release a January Update (21.3.0), later followed by a winter update (21.4.0), as was the case last year or has a decision not been made on that yet?

We're not in a position to make specific announcements about update plans in advance, as quite often in software development things change which can make things quite difficult and problematic. Whilst we'd love to be completely transparent, doing so can sometimes lead to disappointment and misunderstanding. 

Saying that, we have followed similar patterns to updating in the past on older FM's and, as you may have noticed on the bugs forum, we have said we are aiming to address some specific issues as soon as we possibly can. 

18 hours ago, Chesters86 said:

I hope so because I'm playing FM Touch at the moment and not being able to move players from the B Team has caused me to stop my save until the bug is fixed. I know they usually release the next one after the Jan Window but I feel there are more than enough bugs floating around that are effecting the game well enough to require a patch/hotfix before the usually Feb/March update

21 hours ago, Samelders said:

Agree, also for FM Touch. It 's unplayable and in the worst shape ever in january. You can't even promote players from your B squad to your first team.. Match scheduling has errors.. Not enough youth Intake, bug with club vision, you can't even view match highlight when you simulate a match.. 

With such an amount of bugs I'm sure they will patch before the end of february.. You can't be so bad to your customers..

There is a workaround for this.

1. Demote the player concerned to your U19's first or whatever the closest equivalent is - then click continue so the game processes that

2. Then put them in your senior squad and once again click continue

You'll hopefully find that solves the problem.

I do think and suggest that SI could maybe make a stickied thread of known-issues with workarounds like this one.

9 minutes ago, Flumpy_85 said:

Hi, can you explain what this is please as im just about to go into my

fourth year.

I think it something with newgens not being loaded/created from certain countries, but I don't know the specifics. someone else will explain it better

7 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

There is a workaround for this.

1. Demote the player concerned to your U19's first or whatever the closest equivalent is - then click continue so the game processes that

2. Then put them in your senior squad and once again click continue

You'll hopefully find that solves the problem.

I do think and suggest that SI could maybe make a stickied thread of known-issues with workarounds like this one.

This does not work if you do not have a u19 team. Like in the MLS. 

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

We're not in a position to make specific announcements about update plans in advance, as quite often in software development things change which can make things quite difficult and problematic. Whilst we'd love to be completely transparent, doing so can sometimes lead to disappointment and misunderstanding. 

Saying that, we have followed similar patterns to updating in the past on older FM's and, as you may have noticed on the bugs forum, we have said we are aiming to address some specific issues as soon as we possibly can. 

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. However, I was referring more to the data update side of things. Last year you released two updates post January, one being titled 'January Update' (20.3.0) and the second 'Winter Update' (20.4.0).

Will you be taking a similar approach this year, purely from a data update perspective, so two post January data updates again, rather than just one, as was always the case in years prior to the last?

Many thanks

who else remembers when games would be released ready to go out the box and the customers were not responsible for discovering bugs and problems?

It's so frustrating that A LOT of the bugs and issues with FM21 are apparent within a few hours of playing, which says to me that no one at SI tests adequately (or at all, but that's speculation). If you're going to be a company releasing a "new" game every year, at least make the basics of the game RELIABLE and stable for those yearly releases and that the new features don't completely break the older, useful features (looking at you xG and analyst reports!). 

7 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

who else remembers when games would be released ready to go out the box and the customers were not responsible for discovering bugs and problems?

It's so frustrating that A LOT of the bugs and issues with FM21 are apparent within a few hours of playing, which says to me that no one at SI tests adequately (or at all, but that's speculation). If you're going to be a company releasing a "new" game every year, at least make the basics of the game RELIABLE and stable for those yearly releases and that the new features don't completely break the older, useful features (looking at you xG and analyst reports!). 

Yes true and not sure how they get away with it from a retailing point of view . It wouldn't be so bad if they fixed it within a few weeks but here we are in January and the game is 2 months old and we will get a update in February and then that will be it . Its an ongoing cycle through every release of the game . Always wonder who one can lodge a complaint too because you cant even get a refund . If the product does not match what they write on the box or website someone should be accountable . It would be even harder to do anything if you were in another country too . I wonder if anyone on here knows the laws concerning Games and there faults and the consumers entitlements . 

Edited by alian62

10 hours ago, TheGrimWombat said:

Do you consider this patch "ready" because I most certainly don't.

What you or I believe is irrelevant really.  SI believed it was enough to be worth releasing, so they did.  

11 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

Who else remembers when games were so incredibly simple that that wasn't a problem?

Except it still was.  Companies had to physically reissue games when there were serious issues.  That or just shrug and move on.  Pretending like games were all perfect and nothing ever went wrong is along the same lines as the snide suggestion that no testing goes on at all.

4 hours ago, alian62 said:

Yes true and not sure how they get away with it from a retailing point of view . It wouldn't be so bad if they fixed it within a few weeks but here we are in January and the game is 2 months old and we will get a update in February and then that will be it . Its an ongoing cycle through every release of the game . Always wonder who one can lodge a complaint too because you cant even get a refund . If the product does not match what they write on the box or website someone should be accountable . It would be even harder to do anything if you were in another country too . I wonder if anyone on here knows the laws concerning Games and there faults and the consumers entitlements . 

The only way to make a difference is to vote with your wallets. Stop buying the product and especially stop paying for early access.