How to develop this wonderkid?

So I managed to pick up the regen from Plymouth for a pretty decent fee but I'm not quite sure how to fit him in to my side.

It seemed a no brainer to pick the guy up and my initial thought was as an out and out left winger which was something my squad lacks. I'm just not sure he is quick enough or has sufficient crossing ability to be quite good enough to make it in that role or indeed any role in the AM strata. For reference I'm a comfortable top 10 PL squad but just trying to find a way to sneak into that top 6 or 7.

Part of me just thinks patience. Performances are underwhelming so far but he's just 19 and I should give him time for attributes and performances to improve. On the other hand, I can't help thinking he could become a phenomenal LB. His defensive attributes are already aren't far off my existing LB Josh Tymon and I've always found its really tough to get top quality attacking FB's in FM as regens as the save progresses.

Thoughts?1126257299_ThomsonHistory.thumb.png.1b80f9895935e9f74f433823b5cd824f.png1161670617_ThomsonAttributes.thumb.png.fe24cee7de6b005ec135e5a52f5b3185.png

Interesting player you've got there, he's very well-rounded. What formation do you play? For me I'd probably to try to turn him into a Mezzala and work on his technical ability (namely passing+finishing).

If not that then maybe a BBM or RPM (would need a lot of work on his passing for this)

Edited by LHurlz

29 minutes ago, LHurlz said:

Interesting player you've got there, he's very well-rounded. What formation do you play? For me I'd probably to try to turn him into a Mezzala and work on his technical ability (namely passing+finishing).

If not that then maybe a BBM or RPM (would need a lot of work on his passing for this)

Mainly I play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. I’m finding on FM21 I’m having to switch tactics quite frequently as what works for 6 months tends to suddenly fail but I’m quickly able to find something else which is effective again.

Never really thought of this guy in a CM role. I’m actually quite well stocked in that position both with playmaker types and more combative roles.

Perhaps I might see if I can improve his passing as that’s going to be helpful in any role and then assess at the end of the season if his attributes are trending to a more defined position or role. 

In my system I would love him as a dynamic full-back but without knowing your system it's hard to tell. Also if you're Plymouth he is probably head and shoulders attribute wise amongst all his peers so could probably play in a lot of positions and roles in League 1. 

Btw if you're having to make wholesale changes to your tactics that would worry be a tad too. Once you have a primary tactic you settle on you should be making tweaks or perhaps even reacting to what you're seeing in a match, If the whole thing just suddenly fails then you possibly have issues with the actual tactic or perhaps even beyond the tactic.

7 hours ago, AFCBeer said:

So I managed to pick up the regen from Plymouth for a pretty decent fee but I'm not quite sure how to fit him in to my side.

It seemed a no brainer to pick the guy up and my initial thought was as an out and out left winger which was something my squad lacks. I'm just not sure he is quick enough or has sufficient crossing ability to be quite good enough to make it in that role or indeed any role in the AM strata. For reference I'm a comfortable top 10 PL squad but just trying to find a way to sneak into that top 6 or 7.

Part of me just thinks patience. Performances are underwhelming so far but he's just 19 and I should give him time for attributes and performances to improve. On the other hand, I can't help thinking he could become a phenomenal LB. His defensive attributes are already aren't far off my existing LB Josh Tymon and I've always found its really tough to get top quality attacking FB's in FM as regens as the save progresses.

Thoughts?1126257299_ThomsonHistory.thumb.png.1b80f9895935e9f74f433823b5cd824f.png1161670617_ThomsonAttributes.thumb.png.fe24cee7de6b005ec135e5a52f5b3185.png

I would say this guy is a BBM. Already decent physically and mentally with well rounded technical attributes. 

I'm actually going to agree with you that he looks like a potentially very good attacking full back, in a WB or CWB role. Another option would be to play him on the right hand side as an IF, which would suit his dribbling, flair, technique and long shots. But to be honest, you can go ten different ways with this guy, so well rounded.

7 hours ago, AFCBeer said:

He would be my mezzala or complete wing-back or any inside-oriented wing role because he has flair and technique! but I would immediately look to improve his stamina, speed, passing and crossing as well as all attack-related mental attributes.

Edited by frukox

Hard to give a definitive answer without knowing your system or your team needs but in my own save I would absolutely develop him as a wingback. As you say yourself, it is one of the hardest positions to find good players for, while good wingers and attacking midfielders are comparatively easy to find.