[FM21] Danish dynamite

KlaaZ

2 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

More good news, nine Danish players in the starting lineup tonight against Sonderjysk Elitesport in the league, of which six came through our own youth ranks. And Brandter is pretty much Danish too, coming through the youth setup at FC Nordsjaelland.

20210725210438_1.thumb.jpg.2f68f1156b4ad2589624e25b98734d38.jpg

That's fantastic :applause:What is your U's19 coaching team set up like?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, john1 said:

That's fantastic :applause:What is your U's19 coaching team set up like?

Well, apart from having the best facilities in the country and a worldwide reputation, I have quite a few personalities in my youth coaching team that I'm sure have influenced for example Lerager. :)

20210725220803_1.thumb.jpg.2ff12091d8ed88b8fde9fb3929cd4795.jpg

20210725220817_1.thumb.jpg.d0b2cb679725d56094fc441bb7891975.jpg

20210725220842_1.thumb.jpg.63e284622ce71b9462ed0d1a2b41121d.jpg

20 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Well, apart from having the best facilities in the country and a worldwide reputation, I have quite a few personalities in my youth coaching team that I'm sure have influenced for example Lerager. :)

20210725220803_1.thumb.jpg.2ff12091d8ed88b8fde9fb3929cd4795.jpg

20210725220817_1.thumb.jpg.d0b2cb679725d56094fc441bb7891975.jpg

20210725220842_1.thumb.jpg.63e284622ce71b9462ed0d1a2b41121d.jpg

Fantastic coaches you got there :cool: Peters, I always tends to go for as HOYD when I start new games on FM :D You got better coaches than me on my OB save :( 

3 hours ago, john1 said:

Fantastic coaches you got there :cool: Peters, I always tends to go for as HOYD when I start new games on FM :D You got better coaches than me on my OB save :( 

How far in are you? I made it a bit easier on myself by starting with Kobenhavn, they're pretty one of the Scandinavian clubs with the most potential. I can imagine that a save with OB would be a bit harder because you have to break through the big clubs (Kobenhavn, Midtjylland, Brondby, FC Nordsjaelland) first. 

But yeah, Peters is probably the main reason why I've been so lucky with my youth intake. This is my second Kobenhavn save and in the first one (which I started during beta) I didn't have as much luck with the exception of an amazing Icelandic kid in my first season. He would have made a great addition to my current squad even. 

20201209203700_1.thumb.jpg.1fdf9b93a1f75cf3306619501503194f.jpg

14 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

How far in are you? I made it a bit easier on myself by starting with Kobenhavn, they're pretty one of the Scandinavian clubs with the most potential. I can imagine that a save with OB would be a bit harder because you have to break through the big clubs (Kobenhavn, Midtjylland, Brondby, FC Nordsjaelland) first. 

But yeah, Peters is probably the main reason why I've been so lucky with my youth intake. This is my second Kobenhavn save and in the first one (which I started during beta) I didn't have as much luck with the exception of an amazing Icelandic kid in my first season. He would have made a great addition to my current squad even. 

20201209203700_1.thumb.jpg.1fdf9b93a1f75cf3306619501503194f.jpg

Just about to start my 8th season, Won last 7 titles.

Here is the guy that I had from my first youth intakes. youth intakes have been poor even the facilities are maxed out :( Even  Kobenhavn still gets better youth intakes then we do :( 

054ae646d6aa1d75fc24bef73a0aa72a.png

Having to buy players from aboard cos of players from intakes doesn't make the grade :(  I got few good ones but not good as Skovberg :thdn: Was chased by Chelsea and Man City few seasons ago,

Edited by john1

3 minutes ago, john1 said:

Just about to start my 8th season, Won last 7 titles.

Here is the guy that I had from my first youth intakes. youth intakes have been poor even the facilities are maxed out :( Even  Kobenhavn still gets better youth intakes then we do :( 

054ae646d6aa1d75fc24bef73a0aa72a.png

Having to buy players from aboard cos of players from intakes doesn't make the grade :(  I got few good ones but not good as Skovberg :thdn: Was chased by Chelsea and Man City few seasons ago,

Hope you can hang onto him, seems like a player you can build your team around! Seven titles with OB is impressive, how's Europe treating you? Got past the CL group stages yet?

3 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Hope you can hang onto him, seems like a player you can build your team around! Seven titles with OB is impressive, how's Europe treating you? Got past the CL group stages yet?

3c6af90d6b31a75e921b3c37c8afadce.png 
Bloody Man Utd :thdn:

Forgot I had this guy through intakes, currently out on loan, hopefully promoted to first team in the summer.
5f0664ab2f0cc66b6b068ab21e56d026.jpg 

Edited by john1

11 minutes ago, john1 said:

Yeah, felt we got lucky, thanks to away goal rule against Liverpool

8733397ad367876b5194393d3518cf3f.jpg 

You need that bit of luck, especially on your first CL win. I had the same with with a penalty shootout win against Real Madrid in my first final, which was fairly undeserved. :)

3 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

You need that bit of luck, especially on your first CL win. I had the same with with a penalty shootout win against Real Madrid in my first final, which was fairly undeserved. :)

Awesome :D Have you received any offers for your young players?

7 minutes ago, john1 said:

Awesome :D Have you received any offers for your young players?

Yeah, every transfer period is a  hellhole of rejecting any offer that comes our way really. Thanks to two consecutive CL wins I'm sitting on roughly 150M so I don't need to sell. The main thing is keeping everybody happy when the dream clubs come knocking but all in all, I haven't had anyone being a knobhead in a long, long time. The few complainers I get I can either convince by telling them about their leadership importance (mainly Larsen, Qvist and From), the others stay for the great atmosphere in the dressing room. Must be some parties we have after games. :D 

18 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Yeah, every transfer period is a  hellhole of rejecting any offer that comes our way really. Thanks to two consecutive CL wins I'm sitting on roughly 150M so I don't need to sell. The main thing is keeping everybody happy when the dream clubs come knocking but all in all, I haven't had anyone being a knobhead in a long, long time. The few complainers I get I can either convince by telling them about their leadership importance (mainly Larsen, Qvist and From), the others stay for the great atmosphere in the dressing room. Must be some parties we have after games. :D 

I get silly offers for my youngsters, everytime I rejected it, they kicks up a fuss, so I ends up selling them for silly amounts.

13 hours ago, john1 said:

I get silly offers for my youngsters, everytime I rejected it, they kicks up a fuss, so I ends up selling them for silly amounts.

And there was no way to convince them? In my team, Larsen and Qvist usually manage to turn people around and the odd exception that refuses them, I can usually talk some sense into.

But transfer periods are crazy. This is my current situation on the final day of the january window:

Lyster: Wanted by Nantes and Lyon
Brandner: Wanted by Liverpool, Monaco and Arsenal
Cerovic: Wanted by Barcelona and Chelsea
Krcik: Wanted by Liverpool and Inter
Mathisen: Wanted by Barcelona
Larsen: Wanted by PSG, Barcelona and Tottenham
Geertsen: Wanted by Tottenham, PSG and Inter
Cascini: Wanted by Tottenham, Arsenal and Frankfurt
From: Wanted by Arsenal, City, Monaco, Lyon, Dortmund and Frankfurt
Baggio: Wanted by Juve and Real
Pulgarin: Wanted by Chelsea, Ajax and Juve
Hansen: Wanted by Lyon, Inter and Hertha
Qvist: Wanted by Tottenham
Holm: Wanted by Monaco
Pedraza: Wanted by PSG
Miltao: Wanted by Real
Nelsson: Wanted by PSG

It's just tedious refusing all the offers.

I don't need the money, so it's unlikely. And there's only one player on my radar who would be able to replace him without a drop in quality, and that player is currently on a 275k p/w contract at Liverpool so not really an option. :)

20210728121637_1.thumb.jpg.dbeaec6f0ec173c7a0fe345b6a3f700a.jpg

20210728121400_1.thumb.jpg.2b309e8bd995338dc08c144c2d8cbec2.jpg

My hope is that at some point in a few years time, Lerager will be able to step up and replace him but he's got a lot of work left to do before we get to that point.

20210728121129_1.thumb.jpg.c3e1f2eb645a18b1da26bfa9d0924fbe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2027-2028

Transfers

On the outgoing front, not much is happening except the offloading of some players that have no future in Kopenhagen. Wujewitsch, who we picked up for 4M from Bayern in the summer of '22, hasn't developed as we'd hoped so we cut our losses and sell him to Frankfurt for 3.8M. Filip Bundgaard is end of contract and leaves for China, where he signs a four year contract worth 91k p/w. 

This also means little movement on the incoming front. The biggest signing is 19-year old Esmeraldo from Corinthians. He's a two footed winger with a good personality and a very interesting attribute spread. Apart from that, we pick up a promising American full back in Mexico during the winter break. Cesar Hernandez costs us 1.6M and looks like a bargain. We immediately move him on loan to Braga as he's currently blocked by From and Cascini. And finally, we sign Mads Kruse, a not too bad Danish left winger, for 3.9M from AGF. Not only to see if he can provide us with some Danish depth on the left flank, but also because I like investing indirectly in other clubs to see if I can raise their standard a little.

Spoiler

20210805134734_1.thumb.jpg.36dfbd27372fe24f8aa992d842251d7f.jpg20210805135212_1.thumb.jpg.d8636f9cb287460c9f60a1db11241fd9.jpg20210805135209_1.thumb.jpg.7c342a51389590c8fb0c83206356c377.jpg

3F Superliga

Another year, another title win. Not unbeaten though, as I somehow lost to Velje a few games after clinching the title. That said, we did set a new defensive record with only six goals conceded in 32 games.

Spoiler

20210805135458_1.thumb.jpg.2c93c161216676262bcdce1cdfa35a39.jpg

Sydbank Pokalen

Not much to tell here as the cup runs keep getting easier and easier due to the difference in player quality. We manage not to concede a single goal during the entire campaign.

Spoiler

20210805135608_1.thumb.jpg.653d5e6b033b6f92313ae6bfb164c1dc.jpg

European Super Cup

Probably the biggest disappointment this season, a narrow 0-1 loss to Manchester United. They were the better team too, so we couldn't have too many complaints about that one. The good news is, we did get our revenge.

Champions League

What looked like a decent group draw with Anderlecht, Rangers and french giants PSG started off rather badly with a goalless draw in Glasgow. The second game in Brussels wasn't much better but we managed to scrape it 1-2 thanks to a brace from Krick. The turnaround came in the two games against PSG, beating them at home thanks to a penalty and keeping then to a draw in Paris. Two home wins later, we topped the group with 14 points and went on to the knockout stage. 

In those knockout stages, we managed to eliminate Chelsea and Barcelona before meeting United, who defeated us in the Super Cup, in the semis. We took our revenge by bagging a win at Old Trafford (a well deserved 0-1 thanks to a goal from Krick), and repeated the process in Denmark, turning a 0-1 around into a 2-1 victory. 

Third final in a row, this time a surprising Inter Milan on the other side of the cage. In what can only be described as a very nervous affair we did start off rather well, rewarding ourselves with a goal from (who else?) Krick in the 39th minute. In the second half we survived a complete battering by the Italians and in the third minute of stoppage time, Pulgarin puts our mind at ease when Harlev sends in a free kick. Inter goalie Remiro came for the ball and missed it, making it probably one of the easiest goals of his career. 

So three in a row it is!

Spoiler

20210805225611_1.thumb.jpg.ae02319286e298f1f8cfc346862116d7.jpg

Edited by KlaaZ

Season 2027-2028: Notes and reflections

Another season, another bit of improvement. From a tactical point of view, I feel like we're the better team in the majority of the big games now. The only game where we really came under heavy fire was in the final against Inter. It also can't be stressed enough that Larsen's performances are key to our success. This year, we only conceded twice through the entire knockout phase of the Champions League, including the final, keeping five clean sheets in seven games. That, in my opinion, is the platform of these three consecutive European titles. Knowing that one goal is often enough to see you through is very reassuring. 

And it's not just in Europe, domestically the same pattern is there. Larsen contested 29 games in the league, keeping a whopping 25 clean sheets. Add to that another seven clean sheets in seven games in the cup, and I don't need to say more. 

20210805230256_1.thumb.jpg.c2e2f3654cae59b9dafe8b26ebc210b6.jpg

Aside from Larsen, the signing of Cerovic (who was a bargain at 17M) also enabled us to step up our game. He improved a LOT over the last two seasons and is currently quite possibly the best defensive midfielder in the world, at the mere age of 20. 

20210805230455_1.thumb.jpg.baa8f3e107747fc3e8a19f75015957bc.jpg

Transfer update

Sivert Mannsverk didn't play a single game last season due to Cerovic and upcoming talent Hansen being ahead of him. He's shipped off to Sassuolo in a deal that can run up to 8M. The only other player of some importance to leave so far is Kenny Falck, who was end of contract and signed a deal with Burnley.

I may move some more players out in order to free up some cash for a big signing, and to make room for Lyster and Geertsen, who I feel are both ready for a first team role. Both players were first team regulars in the league already, now it's time to see what they can do on the continental stage. With that in mind, we'll be looking to cash in on Miltao, Ortiz (who is surplus to requirements anyway) and possibly Baggio who had a rather disappointing season in terms of stats.

It's also possible that Esmeraldo moves out if there's a real big money offer for him, and we've already signed a potential replacement. We signed 18-year old Sena from Santos by activating his release clause of 21.5M. He's a bit of a different type to Esmeraldo, being more of a playmaker on the wing, but he's also two-footed and I'm hoping to improve his speed and other physicals some more. His high flair might also be an extra weapon to open up those games where the opponent just sits back. 

Spoiler

20210806124601_1.thumb.jpg.533f287bae7f5ec98343d377a51e7961.jpg

Our second signing this season is Jozef Svantner, a 17-year old Slovakian kid who we pick up at Zilina, the same club where we shopped for Krick. He's cheap, costing only 1.4M but has a very interesting attribute spread already. Curious to see where I can take him.

20210806124707_1.thumb.jpg.b62572fb8473472c2fa0ac12efc2780b.jpg

3 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Those 25 clean sheets in the league from Lars Larsen is an immense feat. then again should we really be surprised when looking at his attributes......what a talent! 

1 hour ago, john1 said:

Fantastic achievements for Larsen :eek: 

Yeah, it's absolutely bonkers how good he's turned out. I knew he was special but this is probably the best regen GK I've ever seen across all versions of FM I've played (and that's a LOT of them). We're a very good squad all round but we would never have won three CL's with a lesser goalkeeper. 

Transfer update, part two

We've been offloading more players who are actually quite good but haven't been getting much playing time (because quite good no longer cuts it). Miltao moves to Manchester City in a deal that can lead up to 63M. Not bad for a player who only appeared in 10 games last season. Eduardo Ortiz is the second right winger to go, sold to Milan for 25M. This in combination with a reshuffle between wage and transfer budget gives me an additional 100M transfer kitty (after the signing of Sena and Svantner).

Here's the dilemma. I'm currently employing an inverted wing back on defend on the left flank because I just couldn't find a decent left footed full back. Alexander Brandner is the first choice, rotating with From (who is first choice on the right but I have a good backup with Cascini there). Now, thanks to the sale of the above players, I have two options.

a) We've been tracking a Dutch left back playing at Leipzig for a long time now. He has a release fee for 96M, which I can still activate (for one day, as it's the last day of the transfer market and it'll expire afterwards). He's 22 and pretty much world class. Great personality too. But he'll cost a TON of money.

b) We keep playing the inverted wing back, fully rotating Brandner and From there, and get a cheaper but quite possibly better right back. I've got my sights set on Rodrigo Barata, 20 years old and currently playing for Sporting. He looks nothing short of amazing and can probably be picked up for somewhere around 40-45M. His traits would also suit the FB(A) role I use AND he's a perfectionist. 

Who should I go for?

20210806233621_1.thumb.jpg.5ea0eb3e804adc75934045dec7516531.jpg20210806233638_1.thumb.jpg.eb33ccad62acb9f4637cb78b484a1d48.jpg

Well, this was probably the biggest disappointment of my career so far. 

20210808160204_1.thumb.jpg.05984ba05e60965c55da3eb4563e9860.jpg

Lost my two opening games in Naples and in Manchester, followed it by a 10-0 aggregate demolishing of Zenit and a narrow home win against Napoli. In the last game against City we went up twice but completely imploded in the final ten minutes. The amount of space we give away behind our defense is starting to really worry me, as both against Naples (with Kluivert) and City (with Parrott) that's how we shipped pretty much all of our goals. I need a new plan against the bigger teams (although they're not much better, if at all, in terms of quality to me) but I've been having trouble setting up a low block for ages. 

20 minutes ago, john1 said:

Lyster, looks decent already, especially he's improving at rapid rate!

Unlucky to go out in Champions League :( 

Aye, he could be very, very good indeed.

The CL was, in hindsight, also a bit of bad luck with the draw and the first two games. Zenit got trashed by everyone, meaning nobody dropped any points there, and playing (and losing) the first two games away at my direct competitors for the qualification, I knew things were gonna be rough. To make matters even worse, Naples picked up 4/6 against City.

Either way, got Torino in the first knockout stage of the Euro Cup, so onwards to winning that one then.

9 hours ago, deltablue said:

Lyster is already brilliant.

Aye, and there's a lot of room for growth left it seems. I'm actually considering promoting him to the striker position as it's possible that he'll do even better there, but I've taught him to cut inside from the right wing which suits him as the inside forward role he's playing in now.

Anyway, at least the kids aren't disappointing!

20210809213017_1.thumb.jpg.334d7880673f963cf870edf0c6410868.jpg

As we're approaching the end of the 2028-2029 season, I feel it's once again time to shed some light on a few new players. I'm not going to talk about the kids in the academy yet, although they did manage to win the U19 Champions League after beating Roma in the final. This edition will be about the players who broke into the first team this season.

First up is the biggest unknown, Egill Hlödversson. Egill started his career in the youth academy of our Icelandic affiliate club, Breidablik. We picked him up as an opportunity signing (I didn't even deem him worthy of a mentioning in this journal) for a measely 80k, because 'you never know'. I was actually hoping that I'd develop him a little, and then sell him for a bit of profit. 

Spoiler

20210305162940_1.thumb.jpg.7149133d927d99970abb519c687ccb9f.jpg

Egill spent two years in our U19 team before moving on loan to AC Horsens, where he impressed with 14 league goals in 29 appearances. On his return in the summer of 2027, I gave him a bit of game time both from the bench and as a starter near the end of the season, with mixed results. But then the stars aligned and because Arezo ran into an injury, he became the first rotation option up front after Pulgarin. And to my surprise, he did so well in the league that he actually became our first choice there, with Pulgarin getting the games in Europe. And the results speak for themselves. 

Spoiler

20210810132603_1.thumb.jpg.cfdac5d6b8cbdf15835723bb89de7045.jpg

He's also developed really nicely, and is the living proof that the better player in terms of attributes is not always the better choice.

Spoiler

20210810133002_1.thumb.jpg.7c37664c07143e7eff32962493a2bb8e.jpg

There are two other players that I want to talk about, and will, in the next update.

The two others kids I wanted to talk about is my Colombian connection: Mender Pino and Paul Benavides. Both young South Americans arrived in the summer of 2026, each for a fee of 2 million, from their respective clubs Deportivo Cali and Independiente Santa Fé. As they were already quite well developed during their time in Colombia (they have to be 18 before they can move to Europe), they were immediately loaned out. Pino went first to Bordeaux in the French Ligue 1, and the season after to Italian side Torino (where he helped them qualify for the Euro Cup). Benavides played for Zaragoza and Lazio, but unfortunately got less game time there than his fellow countryman did.

Spoiler

20210710231852_1.thumb.jpg.8991a069d4530120e9566daaef5ffc81.jpg20210317212951_1.thumb.jpg.ab39ec7c0a2158015364e7019557d617.jpg

Either way, this season I felt it was time to integrate both into the first team squad. Pino formed a couple in the heart of the defense next to youth player Geertsen, with Qvist as a rotation option. He was probably the most impressive of the two, performing well both domestically and in both Champions League and Euro Cup. I'm hoping that given time, he'll still improve a bit on his mentals as that is probably his weakest aspect in the game.

Benavides rotated with both Cerovic and Mathisen in central midfield, and scored 10 goals in the league as an infiltrating midfielder. He's one of those players who doesn't particularly excels at anything, but has pretty much no weak spots in his game. With room for growth left, he could potentially become world class.

Spoiler

20210810214115_1.thumb.jpg.85887a9ececed5d7c5eea193a2dfef60.jpg

Spoiler

20210810214113_1.thumb.jpg.541a6fa0a47a5e7652a9505ac285bb81.jpg

Edited by KlaaZ

Some more transfer news! During the winter break, we finally found our potential new left back for the future, and at a price a lot cheaper than Silva. Murat Arslan is a 19-year old Turk who is already quite impressive both physically and mentally. We activated his 21.5M release clause and will start rotating him immediately with Brandner to get him some game time.

Spoiler

20210808195925_1.thumb.jpg.d92c05f6d063cdd7be504f48d13fa0b0.jpg

Our second and last signing in January is an 18-year old Brazilian attacking midfielder, Breno Evangelista. We didn't really need anyone for that position as Harlev, Sena and Baggio can all play there, but at 2.9M he was just too cheap to pass up on. He moves to Ligue 1 outfit Nîmes on loan a few days after arriving to get some game time at a decent level.

Spoiler

20210808195921_1.thumb.jpg.d30bc023ed6b41a0dfb0f85c2c8a5486.jpg

35 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

The two others kids I wanted to talk about is my Colombian connection: Mender Pino and Paul Benavides. Both young South Americans arrived in the summer of 2026, each for a fee of 2 million, from their respective clubs Deportivo Cali and Independiente Santa Fé. As they were already quite well developed during their time in Colombia (they have to be 18 before they can move to Europe), they were immediately loaned out. Pino went first to Bordeaux in the French Ligue 1, and the season after to Italian side Torino (where he helped them qualify for the Euro Cup). Benavides played for Zaragoza and Lazio, but unfortunately got less game time there than his fellow countryman did.

Hide contents

20210710231852_1.thumb.jpg.8991a069d4530120e9566daaef5ffc81.jpg20210317212951_1.thumb.jpg.ab39ec7c0a2158015364e7019557d617.jpg

Either way, this season I felt it was time to integrate both into the first team squad. Pino formed a couple in the heart of the defense next to youth player Geertsen, with Qvist as a rotation option. He was probably the most impressive of the two, performing well both domestically and in both Champions League and Euro Cup. I'm hoping that given time, he'll still improve a bit on his mentals as that is probably his weakest aspect in the game.

Benavides rotated with both Cerovic and Mathisen in central midfield, and scored 10 goals in the league as an infiltrating midfielder. He's one of those players who doesn't particularly excels at anything, but has pretty much no weak spots in his game. With room for growth left, he could potentially become world class.

Hide contents

20210810214115_1.thumb.jpg.85887a9ececed5d7c5eea193a2dfef60.jpg

Hide contents

20210810214113_1.thumb.jpg.541a6fa0a47a5e7652a9505ac285bb81.jpg

Both have improved alot, Peno, looks a real deal and could be a world class defender in your team :thup: I would personally, send Benavides, out on loan this season to get more game time.

5 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Some more transfer news! During the winter break, we finally found our potential new left back for the future, and at a price a lot cheaper than Silva. Murat Arslan is a 19-year old Turk who is already quite impressive both physically and mentally. We activated his 21.5M release clause and will start rotating him immediately with Brandner to get him some game time.

Hide contents

20210808195925_1.thumb.jpg.d92c05f6d063cdd7be504f48d13fa0b0.jpg

Our second and last signing in January is an 18-year old Brazilian attacking midfielder, Breno Evangelista. We didn't really need anyone for that position as Harlev, Sena and Baggio can all play there, but at 2.9M he was just too cheap to pass up on. He moves to Ligue 1 outfit Nîmes on loan a few days after arriving to get some game time at a decent level.

Hide contents

20210808195921_1.thumb.jpg.d30bc023ed6b41a0dfb0f85c2c8a5486.jpg

Arslan, looks pretty good and will be good battle with Brandner :cool: Breno, looks good but I am not sure if you do play with attacking midfielder in your tactic?

23 minutes ago, john1 said:

Both have improved alot, Peno, looks a real deal and could be a world class defender in your team :thup: I would personally, send Benavides, out on loan this season to get more game time.

Arslan, looks pretty good and will be good battle with Brandner :cool: Breno, looks good but I am not sure if you do play with attacking midfielder in your tactic?

In an ideal world, I probably would send Benavides back out, but I haven't got that much cover in central midfield. Especially when it comes to players with a defensive profile, like him. And there's a bit of a transfer soap going on right now, at Cerovic is angry at not being allowed to join Liverpool and I couldn't talk him out of it (stupid fickle personality). So if Cerovic were to leave (which would suck, as he's my best player), Benavides will get his spot.

Concerning Breno, I have been switching it around a few times in the last few seasons, alternating between a triangle with a DM and one with an AM, but I still favor the latter. I'm actually tempted to experiment a bit with fielding two ACM's next season, with a DM behind them. 

2028-2029: Season update

3F Superliga

So yeah, we won the league. Again. This wasn't our luckiest season as we conceded quite a bit more than in previous years but honestly, we had quite a few games where our opponents scored one of their only chances of the game. A few examples: 

Spoiler

20210811105026_1.thumb.jpg.da3fd453f1dced5dbf5ba6947d6e8b2c.jpg20210811105035_1.thumb.jpg.f1410c2af7bf6b20d807b65774e36932.jpg20210811105047_1.thumb.jpg.b329f45aca979697e9f5800e62ae4b2b.jpg20210811105100_1.thumb.jpg.2abb3b79628c8e281b34e2ab2dfdcbcb.jpg20210811105134_1.thumb.jpg.f81f2be45ae25693f642d2b5267687f4.jpg20210811105201_1.thumb.jpg.7d16be802b9484222d86b8cd3a75b08c.jpg

That said, we set a record for both goals scored and goal difference, which I'm very happy with. I'm hoping to break the 100 GD ceiling soon.

Spoiler

20210811105359_1.thumb.jpg.a15c14de3916d79c53d837890357a09f.jpg

Sydbank Pokalen

Some more silverware to add to the trophy cabinet. The same rule applied here, very little chances given away but a lot of goals conceded nontheless. Best example being the final.

Spoiler

20210811105548_1.thumb.jpg.1995291417768687c7f40516dfc94b13.jpg

Europe

We already spoke about the disappointment in the Champions League, finishing third place in a group with City, Napoli and Zenit. The good news is, there's some more variety in terms of opponents in the Euro Cup than the usual powerhouses.

We annihilated both Torino, Pino's former team, and Sevilla in the first two rounds with a 5-1 and 3-1 aggegrate score. Our biggest opponents on the way to the final were faced in the quarter finals where we met up with AC Milan. It took us a while to break them down at home but Sena broke the deadlock in the 75th, setting us up with a 1-0 win. In a very even game in Milano, we actually went behind when Lee Kang-In scored the opener for the Italians around the hour mark. But we stepped up and turned the game around completely in the last 10 minutes, beating them 1-2 thanks to goals from Baggio and Esmeraldo.

Amusingly, our toughest opponent was actually Belgian side Club Brugge who reached the semis, beating Borussia Monchengladbach, Real Sociedad and Olympique Marseille along the way. We were 0-2 up in Belgium but they fought back to a 2-2 draw. And we didn't learn because in Kopenhagen, we went behind after only one minute when Pino missed his header, setting Tsolov up for a one on one that he didn't miss. But Sena and Lyster turned it around before half time and in the 95th minute, an own goal finally wrapped things up.

The final was played against a very strong Chelsea side, futuring a front three with Chiesa, Haaland and Sancho. We started off really well and rewarded ourselves halfway through the first period when Lyster (who else?) scored the opening goal. We missed a few chances to make it two, and in the second half were pushed back but held firm thanks to a man of the match performance from Lars Larsen. Two academy players deciding a final, it doesn't get much better than that!

Spoiler

20210811110544_1.thumb.jpg.d17c2dd89082c1c53d3df850a8a3eead.jpg

Another update, this time from the youth academy. It's been a quiet few years, with youth intakes that have been average, at best. The standard has obviously gone up as well because of our European success, so the bar to enter the first team is set quite a bit higher now in comparison to five years ago. It's one of the reasons why in the past few years, we've brought in more foreign talent than planned (because necessity). That said, our prelast youth intake wasn't too bad and the last one in march gave us a few interesting profiles as well. An overview!

The player who is closest to a place with the big boys is Tim Lerager. Only 17 years old, Tim's a shining example of a professional at his age as a model citizen, making great progress in training and doing very well in the youth league. Last season, he played 43 games, scoring 55 and assisting another 14 goals. Despite that, his biggest working point is probably his finishing and in general the technical aspect of his game, but we're working hard to improve on that. 

Spoiler

20210811125423_1.thumb.jpg.53f505b0726e845d872e47a018179b12.jpg20210811125406_1.thumb.jpg.67252f98f79fb7b62a5d3a9da6eb6659.jpg

And we're pretty spoiled when it comes to strikers with potential. Apart from Lerager, young Gambian Ebrima Jadama is another candidate for the future. The main difference is that his personality is a huge limitation but we're trying to change that by having him mentored by Harlev. That said, I have high hopes that he'll at least turn into a decent rotation option in due time.

Spoiler

20210811125729_1.thumb.jpg.f5ae0c77ce0e6aeb2ef3b69eef1bc32f.jpg

And the third striker on my list came out of my recent youth intake, a local boy named Nick Lovgren Larsen. Only 15 years old, he has a long road ahead of him but the potential for greatness is definitely present.

Spoiler

20210811125857_1.thumb.jpg.7e7ed4df9cc0caccd0e9877f9ee37547.jpg

Luckily, it's not only strikers that are destined to reach the first team at some point. Simon Stovring, a promising left back, Emil Simonsen, possible the next Jakob From, and Adrian Lewandowski (an attacking midfielder) are the other prospects who I have high hopes for. Lewandowski actually made his professional debut last season in a cup game, immediately making an impact with a nice assist and a great 7.6 performance. 

Spoiler

20210811130053_1.thumb.jpg.974bbace325645f41bc63021f501f14e.jpg20210811130108_1.thumb.jpg.8d9955094c82bf86a36887b63d4745d2.jpg20210811130114_1.thumb.jpg.697eb8b2a09587157cf421defab55f22.jpg

Transfer confirmed!

Francisco Pedraza agreed a deal with Atletico Madrid today, signing a four year deal with Los Colchoneros. As Pedraza was entering his last six months of contract, the fee is rather on the low side with 10M, but we did agree on a 30% on next sale so hopefully, with him being only 24, we'll still make a healthy profit in the future. Pedraza arrived in January 2024 and was one of the first names in the starting line up until last season, when he was fully replaced by both Geertsen and Pino.

In other news, American right back Cesar Hernandez returned from loan at SLB and makes a permanent move to the Premier League, joining Watford for 15M and 50% on his next transfer. Hernandez had two good loan spells in Portugal with first Braga and then SLB but because of fierce competition, we could not guarantee him the playing time he needed at his age.

There is also some news to be found on the incoming front, but we're waiting for a work permit application to be accepted before making it official. Stay tuned!

Signing confirmed!

Another season, another Brazilian attacking midfielder! Marcos Aurélio, 19 years old, joins us from Fluminense for 27.5M, signing a four year deal that will keep him at the club until the summer of 2033. 

Spoiler

20210811150202_1.thumb.jpg.b3e3fc251e97821fb03e18cc6471dc9a.jpg

The summer of '29

First off, some more news from the transfer front. We arrange the future transfer of another Colombian kid. Keiner Preciado only just turned 16, which means he can only move abroad at the end of August 2031. We sign him for 1.5M from Atlético Nacional.

Spoiler

20210812113349_1.thumb.jpg.9843cda3dd88ed7237655c3d34c7f241.jpg

On the outgoing side, we cut some more dead wood. Matti Seppä, who joined us on a free from Willem II in 2025, moves to Atletico Madrid in a deal that can run up to 20.5M. We'll also be due 30% of the profit made on a future sale (which is probable to happen, given his talent). He was blocked by both Larsen, who plays pretty much everything, and young upcoming goalkeeper Carsten Jensen, who plays the other games.

Now, on to football! We kick off the season on 22/07 with a narrow but well deserved away win at AaB, 0-1. Note how we manage to refrain from giving away even a single shot? I'm working very hard at the defensive side of things this time, as I feel like we had some tactical imbalances last season which were possibly caused by overcommitting too many players.

Spoiler

20210812113159_1.thumb.jpg.ec499e9d55e74fb9824653eba032ff17.jpg

A few tweaks later we comfortably beat Nykobing at home 5-0, with Marcos Aurélio scoring his first and five different players getting on the scoresheet. Once again, we don't concede a single shot on target. We go on after the international break to smash OB 6-0 in a similar pattern, with six different goalscorers but a bit of a wonky defensive performance despite the clean sheet. Overconfidence perhaps?

Spoiler

20210812113209_1.thumb.jpg.177922fc7383e58879ea90028ddb2702.jpg

Spoiler

20210812113218_1.thumb.jpg.7070f988daab7a439935af5e410e8c96.jpg

Three days later, we battle Juventus in the European Super Cup final. In a very nervous affair, the Italians are slightly the better team, but we hold firm to get to extra time. Substitute Harlev clinches the winner in the 96th minute with a beautiful free kick and we stand our grond to pick up our first silverware of the season. Not our greatest performance though from a defensive point of view, which convinces me that we need something new tactically the next time we come across an opponent of this stature. 

Spoiler

20210812113226_1.thumb.jpg.3cc21d1f93152a2f756f8aba2f1ba231.jpg

The final two games of August are away at Randers FC and a home game against rivals Brondby. We concede our first goal of the season against the former but destroy them 1-6 in what can only be labeled as a fantastic attacking performance (tactical tweaks paying off?). 32 shots, 16 on target, 3.38 xG and 69% possession. Dominant. Sena is the standout performer with four goals, and we now finally have someone leading the scoring charts in the league!

Spoiler

20210812113236_1.thumb.jpg.588164f64741e11a1eee5cac0d17dffd.jpg

And the Brazilian goes on to score a brace from the spot against Brondby, securing us a great result in a game where the referee was the center of attention with four (!) penalties awarded. Lucky for us, Larsen saved the first and Birk smashed the second one high into the stands.

Spoiler

20210812113246_1.thumb.jpg.e526203426a343ccd305b530a72eac64.jpg

The biggest bad news coming from Murat Arslan, who has a lower back stress fracture that will keep him sidelined for 2 months. 

Spoiler

20210812113706_1.thumb.jpg.6680aef244853df4e6342b5db39249a7.jpg

Oh, and our CL group was drawn. We will fight Manchester United, Sevilla and Dynamo Kiev for a place in the knockout rounds. And for the first time, another Danish team manages to survive the qualifiers and get to the group stage. Brondby surprised everyone by beating both Fenerbahce and Sporting Lisboa!

Spoiler

20210811225829_1.thumb.jpg.4d122f10685f4679b0cd90de86ccf6a0.jpg

First attempt at a low block paying off, a clean cut 0-2 away win at Sevilla. They barely had any chances: Two shots on target with the first being in the 87th minute and the second a free kick from a long way out. Very happy with how tight we looked!

20210812124456_1.thumb.jpg.8c94d75df1323f8223c0e2811b55eeb2.jpg

Inspired by @engamohdhis thread here: 

1 hour ago, engamohd said:

Thats a very nice save! Glad you are having success with the low block. When it wokrs, it provides some wonderful football. Following your story now.

Thanks! Manchester United at home is the next big game coming up, let's see how it works there. :)

41 minutes ago, Rhand said:

This achievement is Beyond Gaming standards that I generally reach :)

Nice read. If you want a new challenge, I suggest Beerschot. Lovely club.

How did Wind evolve in Milan?

I'd rather not, Leuven fan here. :D 

Wind didn't succeed at Inter and moved to Schalke 04 the next summer. He had five really impressive seasons there, but in the last two years has been gradually replaced. Not sure why because the striker who took his spot is in no way better, both when it comes to attribute and in performances. 

Spoiler

20210812212625_1.thumb.jpg.5f73cf73fb159e5396d96ac76f269da5.jpg

Spoiler

20210812212616_1.thumb.jpg.2afc5fbf6b07207977e3393f4fdc60ac.jpg

38 minutes ago, engamohd said:

That's not fair lol

Good luck!

Football often isn't. ;)

September started off slow with the international break up first, but in the second half of the month we played four games in two weeks.

Spoiler

20210812214736_1.thumb.jpg.b09cc75dd265ae6c18df9212350eb94d.jpg

We rotated a fair bit in the home game against Silkeborg and despite not really playing well, secured a 1-0 victory in savings mode through a penalty kick that Sena tucked away. Three days later, we secured a very clean 2-0 away win in Sevilla, starting our campaign in Europe on a better note than last season. Sena was once again crucial, scoring a brace. As shown in the xG stats, Sevilla didn't really manage to threaten until very late in the game, just when we scored our second goal.

Spoiler

20210812214307_1.thumb.jpg.34f63cce7e55bdfe213077eeb96aa57b.jpg

In the league, we had a very bad night away at Nordsjaelland where we had a serious tactical problem and only just managed to secure a draw, going behind twice. And I feel we were lucky that their winner in the 94th minute was chalked off because of a foul on Benavides. Both goals came from a deep ball from the wing in behind our defense, something we'll look to address in the future if it happens again. We finished the month on a good note though with a very clean 3-0 win against HB Koge.