Big teams problem

Hi guys 

I am quite new to this site/forum and relatively new to the fm games (started playing since end of 2018). I currently have the fm 2020 as I did not buy the new for personal reasons. I play as HJK Helsinki. It is my favorite team so i decided to start a new one and make it my main (HJK Helsinki was my main for FM 2018 and 19 but decided to experiment with FM 20). So basically, the league and cup is easy peasy nothing too difficult there I won the league the first season with only 3 losses. However the big problem i have is in European competitions. A slightly stronger team becomes almost unplayable not matter the tactics, formation, instructions I play. I am in the Europa League group stage against PSV Eindhoven, Rennes and Victoria Plzen. I lost to Rennes at home 0-3 but i wasn't bothered as i played really good and my team was really tired because of the tight schedule. I beat Plzen away 0-2 with over 20 shots. But when it comes to PSV the game becomes so much unplayable. I tried playing defensively. 4-14-1 low pace, counter attacks, control the ball they smashed me 4-0 and they had 2 pens missed as well. Then at the home game i just wanted to save before i go ahead just because of curiosity. I wanted to experiment. EVERY SINGLE TACTIC i used, instruction everything they always smash me. And i would accept if it was a good game for both teams but no matter what i do i barely have any possession of the ball and can't get more than 5 shots. The main style i play is tika-taka balanced 4-1-4-1. I use this as my main way of playing which is very good when it comes to weaker or same level teams. You have any suggestions of a formation, tactic or instruction that will make my gameplay better against stronger teams?

Apologies if i wrote way too much.

If you could post a screenshot of your tactic that'd be great, ultimately you will always struggle against the bigger European sides and there is no quick fix. You will have to analyse your opponents and exploit their weaknesses whilst still playing to your own strengths.

Playing tiki taka in the Finnish league is fine but you won't have the quality to go away to Rennes, PSV, etc and patiently knock the ball around. You'll need to be more clinical and look to play on the counter a bit more.

1 hour ago, LHurlz said:

If you could post a screenshot of your tactic that'd be great, ultimately you will always struggle against the bigger European sides and there is no quick fix. You will have to analyse your opponents and exploit their weaknesses whilst still playing to your own strengths.

Playing tiki taka in the Finnish league is fine but you won't have the quality to go away to Rennes, PSV, etc and patiently knock the ball around. You'll need to be more clinical and look to play on the counter a bit more.

Basically this is the main tactic and formation i use. I of course have a few alternatives in the case of some players being injured or suspended. this tactic here never disappointed me when it comes to domestic football. It is also effective against weaker or the same level teams in European competitions. However, against PSV i experimented a lot. Used many different tactics/instructions and formations but not a single one of them was anywhere close of getting something positive from the game. Another problem i have is my squad's depth. Very shallow but this usually get fixed as the seasons pass by. This was my very first season with HJK in the fm 2020. The Finnish  league and cup schedule starts at February and usually ends at October. I am thinking maybe it is because of how exhausted my players were.

Στιγμιότυπο 2020-12-31, 6.49.00 μμ.png

3 minutes ago, NickPainen said:

Basically this is the main tactic and formation i use. I of course have a few alternatives in the case of some players being injured or suspended. this tactic here never disappointed me when it comes to domestic football. It is also effective against weaker or the same level teams in European competitions. However, against PSV i experimented a lot. Used many different tactics/instructions and formations but not a single one of them was anywhere close of getting something positive from the game. Another problem i have is my squad's depth. Very shallow but this usually get fixed as the seasons pass by. This was my very first season with HJK in the fm 2020. The Finnish  league and cup schedule starts at February and usually ends at October. I am thinking maybe it is because of how exhausted my players were.

Στιγμιότυπο 2020-12-31, 6.49.00 μμ.png

Your roles and duties look fairly balanced but your out of possession instructions are far too aggressive, better teams will pass their way around your high press and carve you open.

In my opinion you should drop your LOE to standard and remove counter press and look to play a bit more direct against top teams. You can still play 4141 but you can't expect to impose your brand of football on teams much better than your own 

24 minutes ago, LHurlz said:

Your roles and duties look fairly balanced but your out of possession instructions are far too aggressive, better teams will pass their way around your high press and carve you open.

In my opinion you should drop your LOE to standard and remove counter press and look to play a bit more direct against top teams. You can still play 4141 but you can't expect to impose your brand of football on teams much better than your own 

Thank you so much for the tips. This tactic i only used with HJK to be honest. Kind of experimental one as i wanted to play aggressive, fast paced and a lot of passes. I saw it working in the league very well actually. But yeah i was stuck when i faced PSV. In the previous FMs with Helsinki i could not make it past group stage for the same reason but i was playing a completely different formation and style bak then. I will try and use your tips as nothing else worked before and i will let you know as soon as possible. Thanks again brother!

18 hours ago, LHurlz said:

So just an update. I followed your tips, i removed counter press and tried to play more direct. I chose to distribute the ball to the flanks and not to the full backs, tighter marking, regroup when possession is lost and not counter press. Also changed the tackling when my players tackle to try and stay on foot. Kept th 4-1-4-1 formation. I played like this two times. The first time i played really well and only lost by 1 goal (before i would be down to 2-3 goals by the first half). The second time i tried, i managed to get a solid 1-1 draw with good chances and possession on my side. Your tips seemed to really work. Playing more careful, not so aggressive and at the same time direct football seems to be the key. Ill try it out against Rennes as well!

Στιγμιότυπο 2021-01-01, 1.52.58 μμ.png