[FM20] No houses, hotels, or jails. Just a football club. Youth only with Monopoli

August + September 2025

Cups suck ass.

We're already out of the TIM Cup, though it was nice to see Gianluigi Vannucci (25f) score on his debut.

40e7d31964c137bcff265baf1446980c.png

--------------------------------------

We made a pretty special start to the season with six consecutive wins, with at least two goals scored in each game. Particularly pleasing were the wins over Latina, where Francesco Giorno got a hat-trick of assists, and the big win over Avellino 1912, where Giacomo D'Addabbo got a hat-trick of goals. A mention also to Aris Rota, who scored the late winning goals in the two opening matches.

The perfect run came to end with defeat against Vibonese, let's hope that's just a one-off and not the beginning of a slump.

754cdf9b630b02f12cc39f86a25734a0.png

Not that it means too much at such an early stage, but top of the table is always a good place to be.

e6d57ef22fe5d11659da3355f93d4c77.png

October + November 2025

Cups still suck ass.

The match where we got knocked out was ridiculous. 26 shots (8 on target) compared to their 8 (3) but nothing would go in.

65c78d393243b832f8f1edaa2dfdc568.png

October's form was a bit indifferent, we were dominating games and making a lot of chances, but not taking advantage of this and not taking full points. Three 1-1 draws shows consistency, but not the kind of consistency you want. We managed to gain three points with injury-time goals though, so we were fighting to the end and not giving up. I've been experimenting with match plans, adding different scenarios to go more attacking in the final five minutes when we're losing or drawing. Whether that's made any difference or not and helped with this I don't know, but I'd like to believe it has.

In November we lost to the league leaders at the time, Cavese, but the rest of the month was filled with wins as we managed to re-find our shooting boots. The star man so far has undoubtedly been Francesco Giorno, already in double figures for assists.

916b226185ce9fc77c1dac2183522015.png

We've slipped off of top spot but we're still riding high, just one point off top-placed Cavese. We've also scored more than anyone else in the division, averaging over two goals per game. The dropped points against Campobasso were disappointing, they're in the relegation area and we should be beating them handily.

40d1f4935ac901a5a7cff7246fb2fb18.png

December 2025

Another member of our first team left this month, as an offer came in for Aris Rota from Qatari side Al-Khor. We initially rejected it and this upset him, and he was already being difficult about a new contract so it was easier to let him leave. We negotiated over double their initial offer, eventually settling for £110,000 plus 50% of the next sale. At 30 he's probably not going to get another big move, but every little helps.

He had been our starting left-back but was often missing due to international call-ups (33 caps for Albania), so this opens up a spot for his deputy Gianluca Avella to claim.

c8958c28cee7686ac56a2c1b82053b9b.png

He had made the sixth most appearances during my time at the club.

21b98e53b0e27f7b500b1c84f4a71066.png

Promising signs here that the improvements are taking effect. Golden generation, players being touted as prospects in multiple positions. As always, fingers crossed for the striker we need.

4db213777ebdd895f776b296d337b415.png

An unbeaten month, but one which promised a lot more. We led against both Catania and Palermo, but couldn't keep a hold of the lead. Particularly disappointing to do so in front of the home crowd each time. The one mitigating factor is that they're a couple of strong teams, both up in the top echelons of the table.

3e49954d6a5b9bc845bbad98f1b6a3f0.png

We went top after the win against Vastese, stayed there after the draw with Catania, but then dropped down after the second draw. As the winter break begins we're one point off the leaders.

c0e8f2df1ad89f86d93c7b991a2cf1ab.png

January + February 2026

Imolese signed a couple of players whose contracts were due to expire in the summer, saving us the cost of their wages for a few months and even paying us a tiny amount for them. Enrico Zampa had been an important first team player for a while, but a combination of age catching up with him and players with longer-term potential coming through put him out of the reckoning in more recent years. At the time of leaving he had made the seventh most appearances during my time in charge.

da12e7494fd23e7f4ba75c6079815749.png

c243bad26111ff22266b3def396aebe7.png

We returned after the winter break with some pretty good form, racking up four wins in five games. During this spell Francesco Giorno, Giacomo D'Addabbo, and Antonio Vannini (20a) all reached double figures for goals.

Then came the Vibonese game which was an absolute disaster. There were a couple of players missing with injury, but the side was still strong enough to get something out of the game. Two players received warnings and two others were fined half a week's wages after this. The Catanzaro match was an improvement but was still immensely frustrating, 28 shots without scoring. But at least we got back to winning ways at the end of the month.

eda9983e0733fab280420ccc2ce13782.png

We've managed to jump back to the top of the table, but it's all very close. Catania have stumbled upon a bad run of form and dropped away. but Cavese are poised ominously just one point below us.

1f22830e824b57db2ff9bb39114faf82.png

March 2026

We've had the youth intake through and much to my delight we have a 5.0 star PA striker. We also have another 4.0 star PA striker too, so hopefully they can make an impact. There's also two other 4.0 star PA players, a left-back and a left-winger, both positions I was hoping for so I'm pretty happy with this.

Nationality wise this was a boring year, an entirely Italian group of players, not even any second nationalities.

ac3ad1865841abca238f5c13ab3e656e.png

Four players who had previously been poached away came through elsewhere, so I'll be keeping an eye on them to see if they amount to anything.

fb4b813417b929b4d7d446295bfd3741.png

An inconsistent run of form here, not really what we need when we're trying to remain top of the table. But mixed in amongst this were three wins, all by at least a two goal margin, and just the one loss. Most importantly though, one of those wins was against fellow contenders Cavese, to keep them behind us. So while 11 points out of a possible 18 isn't a great tally, it certainly could be a lot worse.

ae5083f7c2104499660b0cdcc4ada2bc.png

Somehow, we still remain top. Our inconsistent form has been matched by our rivals as we pulled further away from Cavese and Catania. Palermo have emerged as our main challengers, but luckily when we've slipped up, so have they. Going into the final four games we have a four point lead, the title is ours to lose.

2d2766404050884444fed1010016970b.png

The run-ins for most of the top few look fairly equal. Ourselves and Palermo both have three teams in the bottom half, while Catania also face two weaker teams. We host Catania on the final day, and I'm really hoping it doesn't come down to that.

Cavese have the toughest route with four top-half teams, while it would take several epic meltdowns for Reggina to sneak their way to the top.

dfcec50bf23ecc8fda2256158f3e814e.png

Edited by DaneBramage
48 minutes ago, DaneBramage said:

March 2026

We've had the youth intake through and much to my delight we have a 5.0 star PA striker. We also have another 4.0 star PA striker too, so hopefully they can make an impact. There's also two other 4.0 star PA players, a left-back and a left-winger, both positions I was hoping for so I'm pretty happy with this.

Nationality wise this was a boring year, an entirely Italian group of players, not even any second nationalities.

ac3ad1865841abca238f5c13ab3e656e.png

An inconsistent run of form here, not really what we need when we're trying to remain top of the table. But mixed in amongst this were three wins, all by at least a two goal margin, and just the one loss. Most importantly though, one of those wins was against fellow contenders Cavese, to keep them behind us. So while 11 points out of a possible 18 isn't a great tally, it certainly could be a lot worse.

ae5083f7c2104499660b0cdcc4ada2bc.png

Somehow, we still remain top. Our inconsistent form has been matched by our rivals as we pulled further away from Cavese and Catania. Palermo have emerged as our main challengers, but luckily when we've slipped up, so have they. Going into the final four games we have a four point lead, the title is ours to lose.

2d2766404050884444fed1010016970b.png

The run-ins for most of the top few look fairly equal. Ourselves and Palermo both have three teams in the bottom half, while Catania also face two weaker teams. We host Catania on the final day, and I'm really hoping it doesn't come down to that.

Cavese have the toughest route with four top-half teams, while it would take several epic meltdowns for Reggina to sneak their way to the top.

dfcec50bf23ecc8fda2256158f3e814e.png

Hope you can finally get promoted, its been a long slog for you. You've inspired me to start a youth academy challenge with deportivo la coruna, really enjoying it so far

April 2026

We're here. The final month, four more games to decide our fate. Please don't screw it up, please don't throw it away. I can't handle play-offs again.

Game 35

17 shots (5 on target) compared to 3 (0). Yet no goals again. I can't believe how constantly bad we are when it comes to putting the ball in the net. Palermo and Catania both won, the lead is now down to just two points.

17678110a732e71d7d8e41268f672cb7.png  c973320ac8d8592fd629571121b3cc84.png

Game 36

We left it late, but we just about picked up the win over Virtus Francaville. I would have been really annoyed if we hadn't won, in 20 previous meetings we'd beaten them 17 times and only lost once.

Unfortunately, Palermo and Catania both won their games too. 

51d32b34674a19d0b6534e850e6832f0.png  45d848bdb7a8c9332e07f84cd4dd9f93.png

Game 37 

Antonio Vannini (20a)!!!!! He's just cemented his reputation as a legend to the Monopoli faithful. A cracking performance, two headers and a rocket from outside the area to grab a massive hat-trick. Palermo could only draw, Catania could only draw, we're the champions!

5b6f03ad6718eef96ff2f9e4edd48094.png  3ff54e77e05f0d1faf91771e81dd014a.png           

Game 38

Got thrashed, don't care. Played a load of kids to give them some gametime. 

d1f2dedd4c9fb14b702f3023e61f0ddc.png

CHAMPIONS!

ac00d12e2ccf9dc99f9a79560774b4fc.png

May 2026

After the main season had ended we then went into the C Super Cup, a three team round robin tournament with the winners of Girones A and B.

We didn't give a very good account of ourselves. We lost to Como despite having three times as many shots as them, then struggled to claim a draw against Spezia. 

233ea74865dd5fcc5dd40054297e2a4c.png

Would have been nice to show at least some degree of competency instead of finishing last with so little fight.

91cd8cbccb45a4f9ba62f4cdb76965dd.png

56 minutes ago, Ronnieekelund said:

Hope you can finally get promoted, its been a long slog for you. You've inspired me to start a youth academy challenge with deportivo la coruna, really enjoying it so far

Thanks, finally got there! Wasn't expecting it from this season, so was a nice surprise. Good luck with Deportivo.

2025/26 Round-up

Yes, this is what we've been working for. After making the play-offs six years in a row, and failing in the play-offs six years in a row, we managed to avoid this disappointment by winning the league instead. It wasn't easy, we never pulled away at the top and it was only confirmed after the penultimate game, but we finally did it and secured promotion.

79aa09a3f3831e9999d65944926eb814.png

Yeah, I should think so too. 

3f59bd7d44e5725f045947b01629ab35.png

We didn't have any facilities improved again this year, every request was knocked back due to a lack of funds. What I really want though, even more then improvements, is an affiliate club for us to send players out on loan. In seven seasons so far we've only had one loanee out, we're just not getting anyone coming in for the young players. I wish I'd loaded up a Serie D file at the beginning to increase the frequency of this.

Our estimated value has skyrocketed with the promotion, but our bank balance is still dreadful and getting worse. The prize money for winning the league made very little difference (£129k), so I hope it's easier to make money in Serie B.

With promotion our wage budget has increased, with good and bad consequences. At the previous amount I was having trouble renewing contracts, as the value I could offer was limited. With the increase I can offer more, but because it's now for a higher division, everyone is asking for more too too.

c219c481733bc678d4244666a3bdfa7d.png

2025/26 Player performance

We have to start by talking about Francesco Giorno. While some of the other players in their 30s had reduced roles and effectiveness this year, he instead had his best season yet. 13 goals and 16 assists was an incredible return, and he rightfully won the Lega Pro Girone C player of the year with a whopping 7.43 average rating. As well as being our top assister for a fourth time, he was the fan's player of the year for a seventh time in a row.

Antonio Vannini (20a) needs mentioning too. With 19 goals he had his most productive season so far, not just our top scorer (for a second time) but also the Lega Pro Girone C top scorer. And of course, his hat-trick against Vastese was the performance that clinched promotion.

Aleandro Accardo (22b) stepped up to claim the number one shirt and managed 13 clean sheets, while Onofrio Pili (22j) became our regular right-back. Arcangelo Sicuro (24a) and Simone Trimboli (24b) were given more gametime in the second half of the season, they haven't really impressed yet but hopefully the experience will help them kick-on.

d12fae4d8a63cda670a349ac2ee2c689.png

After his great season Francesco Giorno has extended his lead as our top appearance maker (now 9 games ahead of Mario Mercadante) and has also re-claimed his spot as top assister (6 assists ahead of Daniele Donnarumma). 

Giuseppe Fella has extended his lead as our top scorer, but with his reduced influence on the team I'd expect Antonio Vannini (20a) to overhaul him next season (currently 5 goals behind).

1388e9fef04d632c8051ced693fbef31.png

A few more players started to make an impact for their countries at various youth levels. No Italians yet, when that happens that'll be the sign I have a potential star on my hands.

750db1562843ee372b6d5f3a965397a5.png