Cant defeat Ajax away, need some help ...

Hi,

After a season with decent play i wondered if i would be stronger, espec. away against the stronger teams. Im Az, and against Ajax away i lost 0-5. The second season started but i was wondering where am i now.
So i just wanted to test out a match against Ajax, i lost again, i played over and over again, vs them to see where the solution lays in those kind of games, but i just couldnt win. Its crazy but i want to know what i need to do to win it?

I tried this tactic (see pic), but also counter tactics, default ones. But id like to know what can i do? Sometimes i think ye i understand why people just go with those exploit tactics (extreme pressing etc) and just win game after game. But i dont want that. Any help would be welcome so i can test it out. I wont continue my game untill i have found some solution on this to start my 2nd season without save and restart ofcourse. 

- Do I look at Mentality or Roles?
- Do I look at def lines?
- Do i play more counter minded or more pressing? 

Thanks in advance. 

az tac.png

14 minutes ago, f.zaarour said:

Hi,

After a season with decent play i wondered if i would be stronger, espec. away against the stronger teams. Im Az, and against Ajax away i lost 0-5. The second season started but i was wondering where am i now.
So i just wanted to test out a match against Ajax, i lost again, i played over and over again, vs them to see where the solution lays in those kind of games, but i just couldnt win. Its crazy but i want to know what i need to do to win it?

I tried this tactic (see pic), but also counter tactics, default ones. But id like to know what can i do? Sometimes i think ye i understand why people just go with those exploit tactics (extreme pressing etc) and just win game after game. But i dont want that. Any help would be welcome so i can test it out. I wont continue my game untill i have found some solution on this to start my 2nd season without save and restart ofcourse. 

- Do I look at Mentality or Roles?
- Do I look at def lines?
- Do i play more counter minded or more pressing? 

Thanks in advance. 

az tac.png

Maybe changing your IF to attack, adding higher tempo, increasing width, adding pass into space and removing shorter passing could help you. It looks like your meza needs more immediate options when going forward so changing it to attack and helping them with a more direct play may be one of your options as well as reducing your LOE by one or two notches to increase space for your attackers to exploit.

Edited by frukox

25 minutes ago, frukox said:

Maybe changing your IF to attack, adding higher tempo, increasing width, adding pass into space and removing shorter passing could help you. It looks like your meza needs more immediate options when going forward so changing it to attack and helping them with a more direct play may be one of your options as well as reducing your LOE by one or two notches to increase space for your attackers to exploit.

Thanks. Tried the suggestions. Lost 3-0. Gonna try it once more. Have to say the first half was abit better, guess the higher tempo did some good somehow. 

3 minutes ago, f.zaarour said:

Thanks. Tried the suggestions. Lost 3-0. Gonna try it once more. Have to say the first half was abit better, guess the higher tempo did some good 

Try removing counterpress and hold shape and adding Regroup and Counter. Reduce your defensive width and add Get Stuck in and More Urgent press. Your defensive instructions are a bit passive taking your mentality into account and close their fullbacks by OI ing them. This may create a proactive unit when defending and help you with your transitions.

Edited by frukox

I would begin simply by asking why the choice for cautious mentality? 
Look at your other instructions, higher defensive line, higher line of engagement...shorter passing...plus the roles and duties..

Have you tried playing on different mentalities?

And why is extreme pressing = exploit tactics? I see that term bandied  around a lot by people its as if its a cheap excuse for failure (in general)?

9 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I would begin simply by asking why the choice for cautious mentality? 
Look at your other instructions, higher defensive line, higher line of engagement...shorter passing...plus the roles and duties..

Have you tried playing on different mentalities?

And why is extreme pressing = exploit tactics? I see that term bandied around like a cheap excuse for failure?

When playing home, i go with balanced or positive ye. 

Well i meant, many just go with the tactics from knap for example, and they can do that ofc. but i have seen many of those tactics, are full extreme pressing, much high lines etc., the click and play tactics. Its no big deal but its no fun after a while for me. But crazy enough when things dont work i can understand that people go into them for an easy route as i thought about it aswell, but i dont want that.

But so my tactic, is it to much attacking>? Where do i need to look at, to make it more solid for espec. in those difficult games? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by f.zaarour

When u play on cautious your players aren't taking a lot of risks, that's one. I am not suggesting you have to be on attacking, but why not try balance first. Then look at the transitions, the only real weakness in this tactic is the right flank, and the fact that you need to build up a lot of play and control the opponents box to score, which implies you need players with really good off the ball to make it work, 

Now you are also playing against Ajax, not sure who you are managing, but you coould make the one change first play on higher mentalities and see your transitions. 

At the moment your system with those TIs is asking for a team to control and score, I just dont see a lot of counter potential in it.

7 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

When u play on cautious your players aren't taking a lot of risks, that's one. I am not suggesting you have to be on attacking, but why not try balance first. Then look at the transitions, the only real weakness in this tactic is the right flank, and the fact that you need to build up a lot of play and control the opponents box to score, which implies you need players with really good off the ball to make it work, 

Now you are also playing against Ajax, not sure who you are managing, but you coould make the one change first play on higher mentalities and see your transitions. 

At the moment your system with those TIs is asking for a team to control and score, I just dont see a lot of counter potential in it.

Good last point. In home games i did quite well, im AZ, so i think im strong enough against others in my league or at least same level. Ajax could be a bit better for sure. And about the mentality, so its wrong to think, oke my tactic is oke, and when playing away vs a strong team, if i go lower mentalty i'll be more solid right?

And Ajax likes to play control football as well. Is it possible to keep the control play but just to be more solid overall? Do i need to think about maybe play some roles on def, like the cdm. and lower def lines, but increase mentality to positive for example? Or do i need to focus more on a counter based tactic and what would that be in my tactic changes? 

Edited by f.zaarour

Changing your mentality does not make  you more solid. Changing your roles/duties team instructions do. Just play on balanced and change the FB to support. With the DM on support and two roles on attack on the right flank you run the risk of being over run by better sides regardless of your mentality

13 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Changing your mentality does not make  you more solid. Changing your roles/duties team instructions do. Just play on balanced and change the FB to support. With the DM on support and two roles on attack on the right flank you run the risk of being over run by better sides regardless of your mentality

Awesome, first time to win against them. Glad and confused at the same time hehe, thanks. So what are the key points to keep in mind in this case? So i understand what happened here and why it went much better for the team. Would appreciate it if you could note some of them. So if i can ask now, why keep the mentality on balanced? And thinking vs smaller teams u need more risk, so higher mentality and vs stronger teams u need less risks, so lower mentality is not the right approache or it is not what it means right?

And so i can keep my style of play but to make it more solid, look at duties for example. And u suggested to bring some of mine to support instead of attack. Does that mean, they come in the ball more to help possitional play and play out the pressure of the opponent? 

I would strongly suggest you take a look at Ajax's manager profile, his preferred formation and playing style. Adjust your tactic according to the way he attack and defend to counter him. Also you can analyze the player he picks for every position and tell what roles he use. Try to take their playermaker roles out of the game. 

I think one of the most important aspects of management is to devise a game plan and commit to it. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 feasible game plans for big underdog situations away from home

• Park the Bus - Soak up pressure, nick a goal from set piece or long range
  • Counter - Draw them onto you then hit them hard with pace on the break
  • Kamikaze - Exploit a weakness and ruthlessly exploit with attacking play

There’s likely other options too but the point is to try and avoid falling in between. Doing a few half heartedly will be pounced upon by decent opposition.

In some games I actually think it’s OK to select seemingly contradictory instructions. For example Cautious with a high line can work if you want lots of possession. Attacking with a deep line can encourage a low block to step up and engage you more. However, in these tough games I think you need to prioritise organisation. 

From your screenshot it’s not clear what you want to achieve. I mean it looks a possession heavy set up except your Full Backs will be putting a lot of crosses in. Then in the attacking phase you have 6 players attacking (FBa x2, Mez, IF, IW and DLF). The problem with work ball into box is if you get caught being too slow in possession, you are ripe for an Ajax counter. Especially if your Counter Press fails.