Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi so I’m managing Manchester United to get them back to the good old glory days 

I’ve managed to build a grt team albeit not many “name superstars” but a really good team that has won me the fa cup carabao cup the premier league and the champions leagues all together for 3 seasons in a row now Plus I’ve only lost one game in all competitions in all three seasons combined (and that too because i stupidly decided to play attacking football even when one of my defender got a red card in the first 5 mins of the game)

so now I have about 180 million (with the fourth seasons money still to come + I unlocked the sugar daddy unlockable in the third season) and have no idea what to do with the money 

before u say get squad depth or scout some WONDERKIDS I already have some of the best youth players and that too so many that if I released all my first team players and played with only my youth I would still have 2-3 players who won’t get game time and also they’re good enough to finish in the top half of the table atleast

so any ideas what I should do now in the game?

Edited by TDS26
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be like that every year: Buy the game, start a career (usually with a L1 or Championship team), win everything after a few seasons, lose interest, wait until next year. Some years I might have a couple of goes, but I'd probably play the game for 3 to 4 weeks tops each year.

The last 4 years, I've played the game 50 weeks per year and never run out of things I want to do. The difference is that I dove into doing challenges over on the FMMVibe website. They often aren't very realistic (ie things like getting 1000 goals by a single player), but there are long ones and short ones and no end of things to try - and they give purpose to playing the game when just winning everything has become too easy. So if you've truly run out of things to try (like I had), then i'd recommend that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amigooo said:

If you wanna continue with Utd I suggest building a team from one nation

So go for any country and make your starting XI that of an international squad

That's what I'm currently doing. I wanted to give myself a bit more of a challenge. 

Just about to start my 4th season with Panathinaikos in Greece. From the start I've only played Greek players (selling any non-Greek ones).

I've also not spent a penny in transfer fees (so all free transfers, exchanges, loans and youth players).

Panathinaikos - while historically successful - are no great shakes in this version and the board expectation the first season was a mid-table finish.

In the previous 3 seasons I've won the Greek Cup all three seasons, the League the last two (having finished 2nd in the first one), and got to Euro Cup semi final and Champions League Quarter Final. 

I have found it easier to dominate domestically than I expected, especially bearing in mind the additional nationality and transfer restrictions I've placed on myself.  And it seems like just a matter of time till I win a European trophy. 

This goes back to the argument I've seen before about the game difficulty. How are other people finding this year's version in terms of difficulty? Are you finding it any tougher or about the same? 

 

Edited by passenger58
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, passenger58 said:

How are other people finding this year's version in terms of difficulty? Are you finding it any tougher or about the same? 

About the same. I start as Newcastle, fumble my way around tactics and lose most games. This year I tried one of the presets, won five in a row and thought we might be on to something only to lose the next ten. 

But it's a good time killer anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow so I must be playing a different FM mobile on a different planet in a different solar system ...TDS26 did you say the Fa cup, league cup, league title and European cup 3 seasons in a row??????

If I managed to do that combined with loosing just one game in 3 years I’d quit and never play the game ever again 👀

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnyBruce said:

Wow so I must be playing a different FM mobile on a different planet in a different solar system ...TDS26 did you say the Fa cup, league cup, league title and European cup 3 seasons in a row??????

If I managed to do that combined with loosing just one game in 3 years I’d quit and never play the game ever again 👀

 

 

At certain point your players just get too good and that combined with good tactic leads to absolute domination

On previous versions I had unbeaten runs that went for over 100 games

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I find the first season can be a bit inconsistent and frustrating at times. I see a marked difference in the second season even if I don't really buy or sell any players. I don't know if that is a familiarity thing amongst your squad or due to opponents getting weaker. After that, as your players get better through training, it gets easier imo. 

Edited by passenger58
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, passenger58 said:

I agree. I find the first season can be a bit inconsistent and frustrating at times. I see a marked difference in the second season even if I don't really buy or sell any players. I don't know if that is a familiarity thing amongst your squad or due to opponents getting weaker. After that, as your players get better through training, it gets easier imo. 

This ^

When I get promoted to a higher division I could literaly use almost exactly the same players and still finish in the top 5, did my players suddenly learn how to play football?

Last year I used the same leftback, Striker and Goalkeeper from League two to the Championship and they were still around 3 stars

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, casperzwaart100 said:

This ^

When I get promoted to a higher division I could literaly use almost exactly the same players and still finish in the top 5, did my players suddenly learn how to play football?

Last year I used the same leftback, Striker and Goalkeeper from League two to the Championship and they were still around 3 stars

So ...is this a fundamental issue with the game are we saying?

There has to be something in play here if teams get stronger and it’s not based on players or their stats ...an invisible factor, any ideas?

I mean I do get better when I buy correctly and find tactics that better suit my squad, but I’ve also bought better players and failed to retain my league title the following season because my ✌🏼new signings✌🏼failed to make an impact.

 

 

Edited by JohnyBruce
Link to post
Share on other sites

So these are my best achievements on FMM20 over the course of 5 seasons - don’t ask me why but I always give myself a 5 year contract as I don’t like playing in the far future with fictional players - am OCD about it ☺️

45CA5B3D-1DC4-439C-BEED-90E1E88515DE.jpeg

27B25AA2-C594-443D-947A-C494493350B7.jpeg

3A54C213-78E5-44BD-8738-6E84C70B633C.jpeg

D23B1545-036E-4069-B565-1F4E968B5544.jpeg

2BE628CA-E670-48C5-A22D-CC644D3F38D5.jpeg

0773056E-4744-45DC-B99C-EBABE5B2E7EF.jpeg

8DC754C9-B806-472F-9ACE-03D5F08EDD1F.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

My point being, I have not become invincible or “got better” without action - my biggest achievement is probably that Wolves save ☝🏼well proud of that.

Still can’t understand how anyone unless a) the games flawed and one has found a way to exploit it b) one is cheating and going back to re-play defeats, or c) one is using a cheat tactic that SI are not aware of ...there are no other options on the table??

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnyBruce said:

My point being, I have not become invincible or “got better” without action - my biggest achievement is probably that Wolves save ☝🏼well proud of that.

Still can’t understand how anyone unless a) the games flawed and one has found a way to exploit it b) one is cheating and going back to re-play defeats, or c) one is using a cheat tactic that SI are not aware of ...there are no other options on the table??

I somehow went invinceble for 42 games with Ajax in my 3rd season, I also dont know how. I didn't get knocked out in the first round of the CL for the first time ever and immediatly reached the final (which I lost) but it is still the most Ajax thing I could've done

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, casperzwaart100 said:

I somehow went invinceble for 42 games with Ajax in my 3rd season, I also dont know how. I didn't get knocked out in the first round of the CL for the first time ever and immediatly reached the final (which I lost) but it is still the most Ajax thing I could've done

Interesting Casper 🤔 

I mean, and not knocking the Dutch league by any means but 42 games unbeaten is very possible and acceptable (Arsenals invincible season for example) but to go 3 entire seasons and from day one, just isn’t going to happen unless there’s a way to exploit the game beyond SI’s knowledge or you are replaying defeats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JohnyBruce said:

Wow so I must be playing a different FM mobile on a different planet in a different solar system ...TDS26 did you say the Fa cup, league cup, league title and European cup 3 seasons in a row??????

If I managed to do that combined with loosing just one game in 3 years I’d quit and never play the game ever again 👀

 

This is why I struggled to play the game for quite a few years, because I just found it really easy. 

Now, SI Games have a very difficult job trying to find the balance with difficulty, because they need to make sure it suits the majority of players. I've seen people complaining that it's too hard and they can't win anything, and I've seen people complaining that it's too easy (I'm in this camp), so maybe they've got the balance right? I'm definitely not going to knock them for it. 

As for why I find it easy, there are a number of factors, some of which are my fault, some of which are the game's. On the one hand, I've sought out knowledge and dug into the mechanics of the game. On the other hand, there are imbalances in the game both with tactics and with team building and at some point you start to notice them.

As a result, I know a heap of tricks/strategies that make the game easier. I don't have to use them, but once you know what works, it's hard to ignore that! Especially when that's the game - I mean should you not do things the game lets you do because you know it will be too easy? 

Part of me wants to list some here as egs, but honestly, if you don't know them, then maybe that's best, just enjoy the game as it is. If you ever want to find out more, there's plenty of info out there if you search for it (or I don't mind sharing if you really want it). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 1 is an equal playing ground therefore the hardest, as you go on you develop your players and if you are like me you only buy the very best, AI deteriorates as seasons go on massively so I would always have the very best players paired with the very best tactic(if one stopped working I would just make a new save and test different stuff rather then risking defeats in my main one) which would often lead to being practically invincible few seasons in

This year I decided to change things up a bit and decided to scout players rather then checking their PA through app or an editor which made game alive for me as it is not mere math anymore, I have signed some regens I would never sign before because I know they are under 4 stars PA but still they performed great for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StephenCronin said:

This is why I struggled to play the game for quite a few years, because I just found it really easy. 

Now, SI Games have a very difficult job trying to find the balance with difficulty, because they need to make sure it suits the majority of players. I've seen people complaining that it's too hard and they can't win anything, and I've seen people complaining that it's too easy (I'm in this camp), so maybe they've got the balance right? I'm definitely not going to knock them for it. 

As for why I find it easy, there are a number of factors, some of which are my fault, some of which are the game's. On the one hand, I've sought out knowledge and dug into the mechanics of the game. On the other hand, there are imbalances in the game both with tactics and with team building and at some point you start to notice them.

As a result, I know a heap of tricks/strategies that make the game easier. I don't have to use them, but once you know what works, it's hard to ignore that! Especially when that's the game - I mean should you not do things the game lets you do because you know it will be too easy? 

Part of me wants to list some here as egs, but honestly, if you don't know them, then maybe that's best, just enjoy the game as it is. If you ever want to find out more, there's plenty of info out there if you search for it (or I don't mind sharing if you really want it). 

Thank you for all that Stephen, a very interesting and in-depth post.

I wonder if SI is aware, I recall them telling me that no formation guarantees anything, and if it does then why can’t it be ironed out as surely calculations are not bias - or can be programmed not to be bias?

Ya I often see posts titled invincible FM tactics with screen shots attached and I immediately look away haha, would completely destroy my love for the game if I found out - in fact I’ve even contemplated leaving this forum as a way to guarantee I don’t find out incase I see something accidentally!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amigooo said:

I have signed some regens I would never sign before because I know they are under 4 stars PA but still they performed great for me

The more I've studied things, the more I've come to the conclusion that getting the top regens is often not the best option. They take longer to develop, and depending which team/league you're using, they may never even get to their full potential, whereas a 'lesser player' will fully develop sooner. So maybe Messi's regen will get multiple 20's but he might take 6 years to get there, whereas a lesser player might only get to 17 or 18 for the same attributes, but he'll get there after 2 years (while the Messi regen is still on 16 or so at that point).

I did a test in FMM20 with Messi's regen (200PA), a 165PA regen and a 140PA regen all at Ajax and playing at the same time in a front 3. For the first 4 seasons or so you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, either in their attributes or their goal totals. The best performer was the 165PA player but not by much. 

It was certainly an eye opener for me! I suspect with team dynamics, it will be even more important to pick someone who fits the team rather than just the player with the highest potential...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amigooo said:

Season 1 is an equal playing ground therefore the hardest, as you go on you develop your players and if you are like me you only buy the very best, AI deteriorates as seasons go on massively so I would always have the very best players paired with the very best tactic(if one stopped working I would just make a new save and test different stuff rather then risking defeats in my main one) which would often lead to being practically invincible few seasons in

This year I decided to change things up a bit and decided to scout players rather then checking their PA through app or an editor which made game alive for me as it is not mere math anymore, I have signed some regens I would never sign before because I know they are under 4 stars PA but still they performed great for me

Ah!!

I see ...oh ok well that explain a lot then, I thought you were playing consecutive straight games within the one save and winning all - if you test stuff out on a second save for the benefit of your main save then surly that’s not an authentic attempt at playing FMM ?

Having access to the editor or apps (not heard about an app before) is definitely going to be too invasive on the game.

Thank you for your insight there Amigooo, it’s all relevant and all very interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JohnyBruce said:

Thank you for all that Stephen, a very interesting and in-depth post.

I wonder if SI is aware, I recall them telling me that no formation guarantees anything, and if it does then why can’t it be ironed out as surely calculations are not bias - or can be programmed not to be bias?

Ya I often see posts titled invincible FM tactics with screen shots attached and I immediately look away haha, would completely destroy my love for the game if I found out - in fact I’ve even contemplated leaving this forum as a way to guarantee I don’t find out incase I see something accidentally!

To be honest, I'm not the strongest at tactics. I had a couple of super attacking ones last year (1 2 1 3 3 for eg) that were getting 160+ goals in the league, but that's the first time I've ever been able to come up with tactics like that. And they stopped working this year, which is good - I'd much rather the game be more realistic. I do know some people who apparently have tactics that are still getting crazy high scores, so it's still possible to some degree.

Most of the stuff I know is more on the team building side of things - how to spot the better regens (even though it's harder now), how to get players as cheap as possible, that sort of thing. Some of that no longer works this year either (for eg last year I turned Andy Carroll into a player reported as being Professional, but you can't do that this year), but much of it's still there. One thing on it's own probably doesn't help a lot, but a lot of little things give you a pretty good advantage.

And there is a lot in what @Amigooo said - the game balance isn't great as the seasons go on. If you find players with good development potential and build your team around them, you'll be unbeatable after a few seasons, even without any trick or tips or master tactic.  

But yeah, in many ways it's much better not to be spoiled by this! I hope we're not giving you too much info!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JohnyBruce said:

Ah!!

I see ...oh ok well that explain a lot then, I thought you were playing consecutive straight games within the one save and winning all - if you test stuff out on a second save for the benefit of your main save then surly that’s not an authentic attempt at playing FMM ?

Having access to the editor or apps (not heard about an app before) is definitely going to be too invasive on the game.

Thank you for your insight there Amigooo, it’s all relevant and all very interesting.

I did not need saves for tactics testing for the most part as tactics would only get nerfed with an update and game stops getting updates after winter transfers..maybe 1 or 2 to fix some bugs and thats it

Only other threat is game figuring your tac out but that was always easy to work around with few minor tweaks

I would disagree that it is not proper way to play fmm tho

And thats because it is illogical for updates to nerf tactics at the first place, I am not going to jeopardize my trophy run because game decided that my style of football won't work anymore, forcing you to make tweaks is good because it is real but overhauling your entire style is ridicolous and never seen IRL(top teams never abandon their style) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StephenCronin said:

I did a test in FMM20 with Messi's regen (200PA), a 165PA regen and a 140PA regen all at Ajax and playing at the same time in a front 3. For the first 4 seasons or so you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, either in their attributes or their goal totals. The best performer was the 165PA player but not by much. 

It was certainly an eye opener for me! I suspect with team dynamics, it will be even more important to pick someone who fits the team rather than just the player with the highest potential...

Correct, I noticed that players with 4* PA develop lot quicker then 4.5* PA and 5* PA and I guess it makes sense, keeps thing balanced 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, StephenCronin said:

To be honest, I'm not the strongest at tactics. I had a couple of super attacking ones last year (1 2 1 3 3 for eg) that were getting 160+ goals in the league, but that's the first time I've ever been able to come up with tactics like that. And they stopped working this year, which is good - I'd much rather the game be more realistic. I do know some people who apparently have tactics that are still getting crazy high scores, so it's still possible to some degree.

Most of the stuff I know is more on the team building side of things - how to spot the better regens (even though it's harder now), how to get players as cheap as possible, that sort of thing. Some of that no longer works this year either (for eg last year I turned Andy Carroll into a player reported as being Professional, but you can't do that this year), but much of it's still there. One thing on it's own probably doesn't help a lot, but a lot of little things give you a pretty good advantage.

And there is a lot in what @Amigooo said - the game balance isn't great as the seasons go on. If you find players with good development potential and build your team around them, you'll be unbeatable after a few seasons, even without any trick or tips or master tactic.  

But yeah, in many ways it's much better not to be spoiled by this! I hope we're not giving you too much info!

No no it’s fine ☺️
Always good to hear people’s experience and take on things, things they’ve learnt, found out, and I suppose if editors help uncover those players with good development then you’d naturally have this exponential knowledge at your disposal - which I guess is inevitable if purchasing the editor.

🤔🤔🤔🤔 interesting stuff.

Edited by JohnyBruce
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JohnyBruce said:

No no it’s fine ☺️
Always good to hear people’s experience and take on things, things they’ve learnt, found out, and I suppose if editors help uncover those players with good development then you’d naturally have this experiential knowledge at your disposal - which I guess is inevitable if purchasing the editor.

🤔🤔🤔🤔 interesting stuff.

I guess both Stephen and I have "under the hood" knowledge tho his is more extensive, but trust me..keep playing the way you are, it is much more rewarding when your player performs because it was your scout or your guts telling you to get him rather then a tool that calculated everything and is 100% right

With that being said it would be great if newgen system gets introduced in favor of regens one but I doubt we will get that for few editions at least 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Amigooo said:

I did not need saves for tactics testing for the most part as tactics would only get nerfed with an update and game stops getting updates after winter transfers..maybe 1 or 2 to fix some bugs and thats it

Only other threat is game figuring your tac out but that was always easy to work around with few minor tweaks

I would disagree that it is not proper way to play fmm tho

And thats because it is illogical for updates to nerf tactics at the first place, I am not going to jeopardize my trophy run because game decided that my style of football won't work anymore, forcing you to make tweaks is good because it is real but overhauling your entire style is ridicolous and never seen IRL(top teams never abandon their style) 

No no, very true what you are saying Amigooo, but may I ask please how you know that updates target and compromise the effectiveness of users formations, wouldn’t that be the equivalent of the current Fifa (not that I personally play it) illegal saga where the devs are steering you towards micro transactions (editor) by intentionally compromising your performance.

No way do I think that’s happening here, am just probing the idea as you’ve brought it up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Amigooo said:

I guess both Stephen and I have "under the hood" knowledge tho his is more extensive, but trust me..keep playing the way you are, it is much more rewarding when your player performs because it was your scout or your guts telling you to get him rather then a tool that calculated everything and is 100% right

With that being said it would be great if newgen system gets introduced in favor of regens one but I doubt we will get that for few editions at least 

Thanks Amigooo, ya think I’ll keep on playing it that way 🙏🏼
 

Aww whats Newgen, is this something that prevents extensive game defining knowledge from being attained - sorry I’m all guess work in this area ☺️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah SI is nothing like EA, EA steers you towards microtransactions cause they make millions that way, SI affecting your tactic post update is weird to me as well and I can't give you an explanation why it happens..I guess it can happen when they tweak match engine or something similiar

It is best if you search regen vs newgen on google, if I tried to explain I would probably confuse you lol so go for someone that explains better then I do 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amigooo said:

I would disagree that it is not proper way to play fmm tho

So long as people enjoy the game - however they want to play it is fine with me :D

The game however is tuned for people playing 'blind' - that is someone playing it from the get go without any knowledge of the players underlying potentials etc.

So if you use the editor or knowledge from previous games then yes, you will find it easier - in a similar way to how playing a first person shooter is easier once you've mastered a level and know what enemies are coming and how to combat them effectively .. if you want to 'undo' this knowledge then you can always turn on 'fake players' obviously in the same way a FPS player ups the difficulty level we have included some options you can turn on which don't change the way the game works but does make it more realistic and difficult for those who want a challenge - I would recommend 'Fake Players' and 'Attribute Masking.'

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Amigooo said:

 SI affecting your tactic post update is weird to me as well and I can't give you an explanation why it happens..I guess it can happen when they tweak match engine or something similiar

Tactics are only 'nerfed' if they're not realistic football tactics - which is to say we're trying to build a football simulation and want it to behave sensibly, if we find some of the AI isn't working as it would in real-life we correct that.

If you play a realistic tactic then you should VERY rarely find it affected by updates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Tactics are only 'nerfed' if they're not realistic football tactics - which is to say we're trying to build a football simulation and want it to behave sensibly, if we find some of the AI isn't working as it would in real-life we correct that.

If you play a realistic tactic then you should VERY rarely find it affected by updates.

I understand what you mean but does not always seem to be that way, back on FMM19 I made 4-3-2-1 which was not unrealistic in any way, it was devised to keep possession and patiently wait for openings through slow tempo, results hardly exploited ME as I had to tweak it against larger sides to get a draw or at least to not concede that much, it worked in fmm20 too them winter transfers update happened 😁

Tho do not think I am trying to attack you or call out anyone from the developer team, I respect you guys a lot..just sharing what I witness xD

Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense taken at all - I can't say the exact situation with that update or your tactic, but I expect what happened wasn't that your tactic was nerfed ... but that your tactic had a weakness the top manager AI wasn't exploiting sensibly (when they would in real-life) ... if I had tweaked that (to make the game more realistic/challenging for people at big clubs which is often requested) then that might have accounted for it.

(purely speculating as in all honesty I don't know the circumstances or what I'd done in that case)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JohnyBruce said:

Interesting Casper 🤔 

I mean, and not knocking the Dutch league by any means but 42 games unbeaten is very possible and acceptable (Arsenals invincible season for example) but to go 3 entire seasons and from day one, just isn’t going to happen unless there’s a way to exploit the game beyond SI’s knowledge or you are replaying defeats.

Yeah it's definetly a great result, but definetly not impossible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

No offense taken at all - I can't say the exact situation with that update or your tactic, but I expect what happened wasn't that your tactic was nerfed ... but that your tactic had a weakness the top manager AI wasn't exploiting sensibly (when they would in real-life) ... if I had tweaked that (to make the game more realistic/challenging for people at big clubs which is often requested) then that might have accounted for it.

(purely speculating as in all honesty I don't know the circumstances or what I'd done in that case)

Marc may I ask what you mean by tweak please.

If every in-game outcome is simulated by virtue of stats/numbers and probability, then how is it possible to make being a top team more difficult, as a top teams stats are a top teams stats??

Sorry if this is a silly question and there’s a simple answer staring me in the face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

If every in-game outcome is simulated by virtue of stats/numbers and probability, then how is it possible to make being a top team more difficult, as a top teams stats are a top teams stats??

Ok basically everything in the game as you correctly mention is controlled by the data, the AI behaves how it 'thinks' a real person with that data/personality would in real-life.

The 'tweaking' I mentioned was to ensure that the AI for top managers with high tactical ratings was 'tight' and able to set itself up effectively - so say if the AI had a slight flaw in some manner and wasn't effective against a specific tactic (for the sake of argument say it didn't realize the opposition had strikers far faster than their defense and so played a high line) then the 'tightening' might be detecting the imbalance in pace between their defense and the opposition attack and adding some code to dissuade playing a high line in those circumstances if the manager had a high tactical rating etc.

This in turn would obviously mean that the top AI clubs in the game would perform better, making matches against them potentially more challenging for the user and also meaning they might pick up a few more points making them more competitive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the same tactic as in FMM20 and with Bilbao without any transfers in my second season i won UCL, title in Spain and cup, supercup, in my 3rd season i am dominating the league. I also got all my affiliates a league or 2 leagues up by giving them players on loan. So it is still an easy game

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I missed the last couple of day's responses.

From my perspective, I've always played this game legit and don't have any super-tactics or insider knowledge.

What I have started doing in the last couple of versions is taking the time to tinker and tweak every last thing I can in this game.

This makes setting up at the start of the game take a bit longer and some may not be bothered but it pays off in the long run.

This list of examples may be obvious to most but some may benefit:

  • Try and have the best possible staff you can with a wide range of specialities. If that means replacing the majority of existing staff on day one, then do it. And all parts go for the highest badge first, followed by the best aptitude. 
  • Retrain every player in as many positions as you can to allow you as much versatility as possible
  • Make sure to train each player's weakest key attribute to ensure they have the right attribute set for their main position
  • Set up mentoring links for every u23 player you intend to keep and try to pick a mentor that will improve their weaker attributes/traits
  • Get rid of any lazy or unprofessional players
  • Take the time to configure penalty and set piece tactics and pick the right players for the right role (i.e. tall players defending or going up-field for corners, pacy attackers stay forward for counter attack, etc)
  • Go through team report and pick tactics that suit strengths and cover up weaknesses. For example, if the report says that your team is good at passing, has creativity and makes good decisions, then set a short passing tactic with high creative freedom and offside trap used. If it says that the team is lacking pace and energy, then don't play an aggressive pressing game with a high defensive line.
  • It doesn't hurt to have a favoured formation, but be prepared to be flexible. Rather than using the same formation every match, study the opposition team report, and decide on a formation that will exploit them. For example, if your opponent is playing a back 3 and wing-backs, then play with both full backs and wingers and use the width, look for overlap, attack both flanks to double up on them. If they are crowding the midfield and playing a high press, play a direct game with target man up front to clear the ball quickly and get it over their midfield.
  • In terms of transfers, identify problem positions and search for players with a high attribute set.
  • Make use of the scouting agency. You can pick up some good youngsters on there for cheap and sometimes even on a free once their contract expires.

While the first season at a club is usually inconsistent for me, I find a marked improvement season on season after that. Like I said above, part of that may be the dodgy AI and the resulting weakened competition over time, but there's not much I can do about that.

I have been setting my own challenges the last few save games and these days I almost always play with single nation squads and no transfer money spent. Even then I am usually able to achieve a decent level of success (see Panathinaikos example above).

One final thing - it's worth remembering that the majority of us here have played this game to death for several years now. So it's only natural that we may not always find it as challenging as we would like. It's our curse. I would imagine the majority of FMM players probably struggle a lot more than we do, which suggests that the balance is probably about right. We're just paying for all the time we've put into it.

Edited by passenger58
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well thanks all for the comments. 
I decided to follow what @passenger58said and quit the united job and took up Arsenal who finished 17th in my save and just escaped relegation on goal difference and well as u may have predicted I won the league (though just by a point as opposed to running through with atleast 20 pt diff with utd previously + I did lose some games and drew some as well)  the carabao cup (defeated Man Utd in the semis) and the fa cup (the big teams got knocked out before the semis so I had a relatively easy path) and ofc as we had finished 17th the season before I couldn’t compete in any European completion 

and I read someone said that the only way this is possible is if I have cheated or re played games no I haven’t (though I would have loved to have replayed the only match I lost with utd but I played fair)

all I can say is two things I’ve learnt till now

1) keep ur squad happy this is probably the best tip 

this was very much evident in the difference between player development in my utd and arsenal save in utd save everyone just seems to get better and better and everyone stats went up every now and then as every one every single one was happy but in my arsenal save some weren’t happy some had key player and first team squad status but they weren’t good enough for that some thought I had been unfair to them and one guy wanted to leave the club from even before I joined (this is perhaps a bug as even after I won everything I could he still wanted to leave and no he wasn’t a superstar and yes I played him as per his squad status which was first team) so anyway I would randomly notice these players stats going down every now and then though it reduced once we started climbing up the table but I could not develop players the way I did at united)

2) don’t buy many players and then don’t give them game time I would say the ideal size for me is 18 players + 2 to 3 loan deals of next up and coming WONDERKIDS  in case u get an injury crisis this way u can save money to buy better players without wasting money on fringe players. However if ur planning a long save buy your own WONDERKIDS don’t loan them loan only if it’s a short term save or u really need squad depth but don’t have money 

Also if ur planning a long save upgrade youth facilities and training facilities first and get your back room staff as good as u can especially coaches they help a lot

On a side note I think I’m going to challenge myself to win the league title in every major league I have loaded with the team that just escaped relegation that season anyone else ?

Edited by TDS26
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...