How would you build the perferct anti-football tactic ?

It depends on the personnel as long as there are at least eight players able to defend in a low block but I wouldn't kill the game unless I have the lead. Instead, I'd try to test the opponents back line with swift attackers with a direct play style aiming to get my few attackers behind it or making the best out of set-pieces by setting them up correctly. For example, a 5-4-1:

AF

IWA   CAR   BBMS     WA

WBS  CBD LA CBD    FBS

Balanced

More Direct Passing Slower Tempo Hit Early Crosses Pass Into Space, Narrow, Focus Play Down the Middle (Play For Set-pieces)

Regroup Counter Distribute to Playmaker

Lower LoE, Standard DL, Get Stuck In, Narrow Defensive Width, More/ Extreme Urgent Pressing, Tighter Marking

I would aim to keep possession in my half until my attackers get behind the defensive line. Then, my players would try to find them with direct passes or balls over the top. 

Its not a plug and play tactic. It needs suitable players for the attackers and the libero.

Edited by frukox

16 minutes ago, frukox said:

It depends on the personnel as long as there are at least eight players able to defend in a low block but I wouldn't kill the game unless I have the lead. Instead, I'd try to test the opponents back line with swift attackers with a direct play style aiming to get my few attackers behind it or making the best out of set-pieces by setting them up correctly. For example, a 5-4-1:

AF

IWA   CAR   BBMS     WA

WBS  CBD LA CBD    FBS

Balanced

More Direct Passing Slower Tempo Hit Early Crosses Pass Into Space, Narrow, Focus Play Down the Middle

Regroup Counter Distribute to Playmaker

Lower LoE, Standard DL, Get Stuck In, Narrow Defensive Width, More/ Extreme Urgent Pressing, Tighter Marking

I would aim to keep possession in my half until my attackers get behind the defensive line. Then, my players would try to find them with direct passes or balls over the top. 

Is the wingers flat on your position ?

3 hours ago, ich bin Lior said:

^^

What would you do ? Your side is a newly promoted, you are the weakest team in the league and you decide to kill football.

What formation would you play ? Roles ? Instructions ?

Just a discussion I found interesting.

what players that you have is the first question you need to answer before designing a tactic. You can have a perfectly designed tactic that is useless if your players are not suited for it.

You need the right players for any system, and anti-football is no exception. Having bad players doesn't make you good at parking the bus. Even if your team is the worst in the league, you should find a tactic that plays to whatever few strengths they have.

If you want to play anti-football, you need good anti-footballers. Here's how I'd build a squad to suck the life out of the game.

I want enormous center backs who specialize in dealing with crosses. Think Per Mertesacker, but taller and less technical. Gonna send my scouts to basketball games.

Normal center backs still have a role in my team, but that role is either fullback or defensive midfielder. Those weird newgen fullbacks that have 17 tackling but 5 dribbling/crossing are suddenly desirable. Attacking fullbacks can be my wide midfielders. The central midfielders should be hard workers who fight for every ball.

Formation options are 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1, both with DMs and ML/MR, or maybe a 3-6-1 with two DMs and two MCs. I want 9 guys behind the ball who are strong defensively, and one striker whose main job is to chase down clearances.

"Attacking midfielder" is an oxymoron in this system. My midfielders should be just good enough offensively to score on AI-triggered counters with a big numbers advantage. That and lobbing in set pieces for our giant oaf center backs are our routes to goal.

Mentality is defensive. Keep the team instructions simple - be more disciplined, frequently waste time, play for set pieces, regroup, counter. Maybe tighter marking and/or get stuck in, but could also use OIs for that.

I've used tactics like this to see out wins before, but I only have so much time to play FM and don't really want to spend it watching 0-0 draws. Maybe if I get fired and my wife leaves me on the same day, I'll have the right combination of free time and cynicism to dive in to this terrible idea.

14 hours ago, SpartyOn said:

You need the right players for any system, and anti-football is no exception. Having bad players doesn't make you good at parking the bus. Even if your team is the worst in the league, you should find a tactic that plays to whatever few strengths they have

:thup: :applause:

On 20/12/2020 at 13:01, Experienced Defender said:
On 19/12/2020 at 22:18, SpartyOn said:

You need the right players for any system, and anti-football is no exception. Having bad players doesn't make you good at parking the bus. Even if your team is the worst in the league, you should find a tactic that plays to whatever few strengths they have.

If you want to play anti-football, you need good anti-footballers. Here's how I'd build a squad to suck the life out of the game.

I want enormous center backs who specialize in dealing with crosses. Think Per Mertesacker, but taller and less technical. Gonna send my scouts to basketball games.

Normal center backs still have a role in my team, but that role is either fullback or defensive midfielder. Those weird newgen fullbacks that have 17 tackling but 5 dribbling/crossing are suddenly desirable. Attacking fullbacks can be my wide midfielders. The central midfielders should be hard workers who fight for every ball.

Formation options are 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1, both with DMs and ML/MR, or maybe a 3-6-1 with two DMs and two MCs. I want 9 guys behind the ball who are strong defensively, and one striker whose main job is to chase down clearances.

"Attacking midfielder" is an oxymoron in this system. My midfielders should be just good enough offensively to score on AI-triggered counters with a big numbers advantage. That and lobbing in set pieces for our giant oaf center backs are our routes to goal.

Mentality is defensive. Keep the team instructions simple - be more disciplined, frequently waste time, play for set pieces, regroup, counter. Maybe tighter marking and/or get stuck in, but could also use OIs for that.

I've used tactics like this to see out wins before, but I only have so much time to play FM and don't really want to spend it watching 0-0 draws. Maybe if I get fired and my wife leaves me on the same day, I'll have the right combination of free time and cynicism to dive in to this terrible idea.

:thup: :applause:

Basically, this. I agree.

Being the worst team in the league doesnt automatically lend itself to an "anti football" approach.

Id suggest to make an anti football tactic youre going to need to really work on set pieces, have plenty of height in the box, probably play quite direct and narrow too.

You may be better suited to using different styles, like using pace up front on the counter, or trying to go gung ho attacking and surprise teams like Leeds are doing perhaps.

On 20/12/2020 at 00:18, SpartyOn said:

That was a beautiful answer. Thank you.

I just wanna play like this. Don't know why but just feels like.

在 2020/12/20 在 AM6点18分, SpartyOn说:

i have to sign in just to say i like this comment! 

im currently using Mourinho's anti-football tactic with Tottenham but find no success, i can only get to top 4 with Bournemouth in 11 seasons because counter attack will not work in fm unfortunately :(

On 26/12/2020 at 12:59, lukechung said:

i have to sign in just to say i like this comment! 

im currently using Mourinho's anti-football tactic with Tottenham but find no success, i can only get to top 4 with Bournemouth in 11 seasons because counter attack will not work in fm unfortunately :

If you can’t get your team to counter attack then you aren’t setting it up properly. Post your tactic up and let us help you work it out