The Frank Lampard Role

Trying to play around with different 'number 8' setups, but can't get much working.

I love a late running midfielder scoring goals. If I wanted to create a system to get the best out of a number 8 (15+ goals a season?), what would you go for?

CM-A?

MEZ-A?

BBM with Get Further Forward?

How would you play the others around him?

I figure the best system would be a 4-3-3 DM with two Wingers who would cut back to the middle ready for a 'Arrives Late In Box' PPM Number 8.

Inspired by the free 8 role Pep used with Silva and DeBruyne but I think it replicates how Frank played pretty well too.  I'd remove the Shoot Less Often for him though since he did have a pretty good outside of the box shot on him.

image.png.db190a63378c12abf0837a06ff7fe3b4.png

20 hours ago, Kharza_FM said:

Inspired by the free 8 role Pep used with Silva and DeBruyne but I think it replicates how Frank played pretty well too.  I'd remove the Shoot Less Often for him though since he did have a pretty good outside of the box shot on him.

image.png.db190a63378c12abf0837a06ff7fe3b4.png

not sure if Lampard is that great of a dribbler and he definitely does not move into channels on a constant basis. I will say a CM(a) mixed with a few instructions from here is probably the correct interpretation.

I think "Gets into opposition area" and "Gets forward whenever possible" PPM combination would be better than arrives late into box. 

You need to create space in the middle and  give him time for his runs. Couple of ideas ;

• I'd use a striker role that holds the ball up to gain time and moves into channels to attract a CD to create a gap in the middle. So your best bet will be DLF.
  • Playing with slightly wider width  helps to stretch opposition defense a little bit more. Though normal width in positive mentality would work too.
  • Roam from position PI will benefit him by giving him more freedom to find pockets of spaces.
  • And of course, if you want to have someone like Lampard, you need a player that is in his caliber  :lol: 

It really needs to have a player with several habits: shoot from distance, get forward further and get into opposition area. Without these ppm I don't think it's gonna work to replicate him. 
As for roles I would say CM-A, Lampard is not a mezzala and he is way more offensive than defensive.

Agree with the above, CM Att would be best for lampard as he didn’t really drift into channels, instead attacking the space created centrally by others around him. 

To replicate, definitely needs a player with excellent shooting and off the ball, but with decent ish defending too. PPMs would probably include ‘Gets forward whenever possible’, ‘shoots from distance’ and ‘shoots with power’