Welcoming new signings to the club

Probably a basic question. Whenever I make a new signing, I get a message saying something like 'ask [player] to welcome new signing to the club.' Is it possible to ask a different player (ideally with a better personality) to welcome a new signing?

Also, what effects can you expect from welcoming? Is it just a potential benefit to personality?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, ryandormer said:

Probably a basic question. Whenever I make a new signing, I get a message saying something like 'ask [player] to welcome new signing to the club.' Is it possible to ask a different player (ideally with a better personality) to welcome a new signing?

Also, what effects can you expect from welcoming? Is it just a potential benefit to personality?

Thanks.

Yes. Select the player you want to do it and from their profile page, go to Discuss > Ambassadorial Duties and you will see the new signing there, if you haven't chosen one yet.

You can usually - although be careful if you sign too many players to not load all the work onto one welcoming player, as they will reject you.

Affecting personality is the only clear indication that the function is working. I don't know if it has any actual effect on team cohesion perhaps, but I don't think so and I really only welcome players when I need to improve their personality.

One thing I found, perhaps a bug in my long-running FM19 save, is that it appears you often need a common nationality and/or fluent language to welcome a player.

If the new player has higher determination than the asked team-mate, never do it as the determination might take a hit. And the opposite, if the new guy has lower determination than the old team mate, it might rise for the new player from the welcoming team mate with higher determination.

Edited by Dreambuilder

23 hours ago, Dreambuilder said:

If the new player has higher determination than the asked team-mate, never do it as the determination might take a hit. And the opposite, if the new guy has lower determination than the old team mate, it might rise for the new player from the welcoming team mate with higher determination.

That's not 100% true. If have a player with 16 Determination but an 'Outspoken' media handling style (which indicates the player is quite controversial), I'll happily welcome them with someone with 14 Determination and a less drastic media handling style like 'Media-Friendly' or 'Level-Headed'. 

3 hours ago, zlatanera said:

That's not 100% true. If have a player with 16 Determination but an 'Outspoken' media handling style (which indicates the player is quite controversial), I'll happily welcome them with someone with 14 Determination and a less drastic media handling style like 'Media-Friendly' or 'Level-Headed'. 

Good point. Also possible if the welcomer has more professionalism, big matches or consistency.