What do you do when your goalkeeper is in really bad form? After the first half of my season, my first choice keeper has an average rating of around 6.5. Outfield, we still dominate most games, but the keeper concedes way too many easy goals.

With any other player, I'd drop him for at least a few games, but it is harder to do that with the keeper because, in theory, he is so much better than the second choice.

What do you find to be the best way of handling a keeper in bad form?

I'd drop him for a few games anyway, criticise his form and tell him to get better to get back into the side. I had this with my keeper this season as well. He was having one of those spells where shot on target = goal because he was just not saving anything. It was a pain. My backup keeper is crap, but at least he can save some shots. It seemed to work out and he got his form back. 

4 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I'd drop him for a few games anyway, criticise his form and tell him to get better to get back into the side. I had this with my keeper this season as well. He was having one of those spells where shot on target = goal because he was just not saving anything. It was a pain. My backup keeper is crap, but at least he can save some shots. It seemed to work out and he got his form back. 

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Can't be much worse at the moment, to be fair, this is our defensive efficiency:

image.png.7287dae73a843549bad60c5cef93b13b.png

If you are consistently conceding this may be due to wider defensive frailties, not just keeper problems.  Drop your keeper by all means and see if things improve.  If they do then great, if they don't then you'll probably be best off posting your tactic to see if someone can spot any issues.

10 minutes ago, herne79 said:

If you are consistently conceding this may be due to wider defensive frailties, not just keeper problems.  Drop your keeper by all means and see if things improve.  If they do then great, if they don't then you'll probably be best off posting your tactic to see if someone can spot any issues.

I'm using the same tactic that I used last season, and I won the premier league and the champion's league, with the best defensive record in the league. I play with an extremely high line, and so I expect to concede some goals on the break. The team is normally pretty good at restricting opposition chances, but I expect a disproportionate amount of the opposition chances to be fairly good, as they will often have caught the defence out of position. I'm perfectly happy to accept that as a trade off for the good attacking football. I expect there to be the odd game where I will lose or draw, despite the opposition only having had one or two chances.

However, as you can see from that screenshot above, my keeper has gotten into the terrible habit of conceding almost every chance the opposition gets!

The screenshot above shows that, defensively, the team is the second quietest in the league, which is great. But then the team is also percentage wise the leakiest. Not so good.

12 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Oh my god, that is horrifying!!! Good luck!

Thanks, I think I might need it!

3 hours ago, Falahk said:

What's his attributes like? Can you post a screenshot?

Valencia made a ridiculously high offer for Leno (about £55m I think), and Sheffield Utd had just been relegated so I could pick up Ramsdale for around £20m. Seemed like a no-brainer, and he was excellent last season. But this season he's been a disaster. Screenshot below:

image.thumb.png.77cf5a805959946774a26138548f278b.png

I can't see any obvious flaws, and he's rated 'world-class.'

Our defensive efficiency stats show just how bad he's been. We don't concede many chances, but he concedes almost every time the opponent takes a shot.

I'm playing my back up keeper at the moment, and he's doing better, but it's only been a few games.

I really want to get Ramsdale back in the team, but I cannot trust him to play at the moment.

Unless his attributes/cons are exceptionally bad, I wouldn't put your defensive frailties all down to your goalie. Had a similar situation in my current save, where my keeper's ratings improved drastically once I made defensive-minded tactical changes.

If a goalkeeper concedes goals his ratings will drop, but it could be the case of him facing too many difficult shots to keep clean sheets. I suggest you have a look through your Analyst Report and see what kind of goals you're actually conceding. That should help you figure out where the issues are.