Low average rating for my midfielders

Hey guys,

I use a 4-2-3-1, with a DLP and BBM. I play the ball through the middle of the park and in most games have more possession than my opponents. I have been promoted back-to-back from League Two to the Championship.

Despite my success, no matter who I start in midfield (even if it's a loanee from the Prem), they always get between 6.6-6.9 ratings.

How can I improve these ratings? Has anyone found a system where the midfielders perform well? 

Thanks for your help.

Could be the players you're choosing aren't suitable for the roles in your set-up. Or it could be something specific to the set-up itself. 

Their rating then depends on their number of key passes, chances created, passes received/completed, tackles, interceptions, and whether they've made any errors. I recommend popping into the analysis page of one the games they struggled in and looking at their stats. Doing that will allow you to isolate which areas they're struggling to perform in. After that, we can then see if it's a player problem, or a tactical one.

In a 4-2-3-1, the two CMs need to have good Positioning, Off The Ball, Bravery, Work Rate and Tackling relative to the level you're playing at because these guys are expected to do all the midfield dirty work and support the attack afterwards. The BBM role requires good Off The Ball and Decisions because it roams by default and your player needs to know where to move and when. If you're players are lacking in these areas, they may struggle to perform. 

For example, your DLP is your holding player. You might have someone there with good Passing, Decisions, Vision and Anticipation who's great when you have the ball. But if he has low Work Rate, Positioning, Tackling and Bravery, he's not going to be much use without the ball.

If the players are fine, we can then look at the tactic and see if there's anything going on there. Maybe they don't have the space to play, maybe you're cutting them out of the play, or perhaps they're overburdened in defence. That's just off the top of my head, but until we can specify the issue we won't know for sure.

Edited by Jaye

1 hour ago, Jaye said:

Could be the players you're choosing aren't suitable for the roles in your set-up. Or it could be something specific to the set-up itself. 

Their rating then depends on their number of key passes, chances created, passes received/completed, tackles, interceptions, and whether they've made any errors. I recommend popping into the analysis page of one the games they struggled in and looking at their stats. Doing that will allow you to isolate which areas they're struggling to perform in. After that, we can then see if it's a player problem, or a tactical one.

In a 4-2-3-1, the two CMs need to have good Positioning, Off The Ball, Bravery, Work Rate and Tackling relative to the level you're playing at because these guys are expected to do all the midfield dirty work and support the attack afterwards. The BBM role requires good Off The Ball and Decisions because it roams by default and your player needs to know where to move and when. If you're players are lacking in these areas, they may struggle to perform. 

For example, your DLP is your holding player. You might have someone there with good Passing, Decisions, Vision and Anticipation who's great when you have the ball. But if he has low Work Rate, Positioning, Tackling and Bravery, he's not going to be much use without the ball.

If the players are fine, we can then look at the tactic and see if there's anything going on there. Maybe they don't have the space to play, maybe you're cutting them out of the play, or perhaps they're overburdened in defence. That's just off the top of my head, but until we can specify the issue we won't know for sure.

Wow. That's really in depth and great advice. I'll check out those attributes and make sure i'm playing the right players in those roles. Also, looking at the analysis for a good performance vs bad is a great shout! Thank you!

The rating system for cm's is skewed towards things like interceptions, tackles, headers, key passes etc 

The game don't really care if your player completes 120+ passes with 97% accuracy even if this would indicate that he infct was the best player on the pitch

So you really should not worry so much about ratings, it's more important to ask yourself if the player is doing what you expect from him, if he is doing his job than that's all you need to know really 

Edited by Falahk

13 hours ago, denen123 said:

It is not clear how you want to play. So many instructions. How do you want to play?

My influence is a bit of Klopp, but also the way I usually set up on FIFA career mode.

4-2-3-1, inside forwards creating a 4-3-3 with wing-backs overlapping in attack. In defense, press high up the pitch and don't commit my wing-backs too much that I get caught on the break. One midfielders staying deeper and providing the backward pass options/dictating play, the other midfielder being more of a workhorse and being everywhere. 

Are any of my instructions contradictory?

10 hours ago, Falahk said:

The rating system for cm's is skewed towards things like interceptions, tackles, headers, key passes etc 

The game don't really care if your player completes 120+ passes with 97% accuracy even if this would indicate that he infct was the best player on the pitch

So you really should not worry so much about ratings, it's more important to ask yourself if the player is doing what you expect from him, if he is doing his job than that's all you need to know really 

Okay, I understand. Thank you!

1 hour ago, dewhirst said:

My influence is a bit of Klopp, but also the way I usually set up on FIFA career mode.

4-2-3-1, inside forwards creating a 4-3-3 with wing-backs overlapping in attack. In defense, press high up the pitch and don't commit my wing-backs too much that I get caught on the break. One midfielders staying deeper and providing the backward pass options/dictating play, the other midfielder being more of a workhorse and being everywhere. 

Are any of my instructions contradictory?

This is fair. "Throw it long" when you clearly favour a safe passing style(indicated by your "IN POSSESSION " instructions), counter + counter press(works very welll, but with no defend duty in your your middle, or a full  back inverting to fill up the vacated space, it seems off). "OUT OF POSSESION" instructions seems like you clicked everything. Every available thing. You can achieve more with using less. There's also so much going on in your "IN POSSESSION" instructions. 

Ultimately, like the posts above mine, you shouldn't even take my advise, if it is working. As long as the two players are doing their jobs, it is fine.