Planning for season 2 Vanarama North

steve.battisti

Need some help from you FM veterans. I'm doing a season in Vanarana North. With luck, I'll get promoted, but either way, this is literally my first season ever in FM. I don't totally understand loans and transfers yet. My squad is entirely players on one-year contracts or non-contracts, which is about par for the course for Vanarama North I guess. It's early September right now.

I'd like advice on what I should be doing for NEXT season already. Should I already be trying to sign players to contracts starting NEXT season? Or am I safe to just wait until the end of the current season to start that process? I have almost no transfer budget, so these are likely to be primarily out of contract or free transfers I'll be going after. But I definitely need some roster upgrades!

Advice appreciated!

The good thing about this level is you don’t really have a transfer window and players can be signed at pretty much any point. I would look to get as many players in on trial (preferably for the maximum 4 weeks) as possible so you can get a proper idea of their attributes and what your staff think of them. Generally speaking a player on trial will also ask for less in wages than one you just approach. 

Non-contracts can be good because they don’t use as much in wages however they’re also free to walk if another club comes along. Try and avoid those contracts for your better players and limit the use to backup/fringe players. - Basically players you wouldn’t be bothered about losing. 

Ask the board for a senior affiliate club so you can get a couple of better players in on zero contribution loans. 

There’s a lot of flexibility at this level and there’s many different ways to build a squad so its entirely up to you how you go about it. You’ll probably have a couple of years of pretty big overhauls (season 1 and 2) but as you start to move up the ladder, become a professional club etc the turnover in playing staff should become less. 

With regards to next season it depends on whether you’re going to be still playing at this level or you’ve been promoted. Ideally I would look to get a portfolio of players scouted to 100% knowledge for those positions I feel need strengthening. That way you’ll have multiple targets already at your finger tips for whatever scenario. Also don’t just dismiss those that aren’t currently interested because that could change if you move up a league. You can send your scouts on assignments and they will bring recommendations or you can go up the leagues and look for players that are possibly going to be released come the end of the season and get in there early. It can be time consuming but the results can be amazing. Get everything prepared and by May you should be able to start offering contracts without having to pay compensation. Timing can be key here as you might miss out if you leave it too late. 

So:

- This season trials, trials, trials

- Senior affiliate for two loans (due to league rules)

- Know your current squad and who you want to keep

- Start scouting potential targets now (positions of weakness/ lack of potential players)

- Get a portfolio of players by position at 100% scouting knowledge (players currently at others clubs so your scouts can watch them)

- Once you know their attributes compare them to your players/other targets and see who’s the best for the position and role you want them to play

- Search those players with contracts due to expire at end of the current season (Premier League, Championship etc youth squads)

Edited by Gunner 101

3 hours ago, Gunner 101 said:

The good thing about this level is you don’t really have a transfer window and players can be signed at pretty much any point. I would look to get as many players in on trial (preferably for the maximum 4 weeks) as possible so you can get a proper idea of their attributes and what your staff think of them. Generally speaking a player on trial will also ask for less in wages than one you just approach. 

Non-contracts can be good because they don’t use as much in wages however they’re also free to walk if another club comes along. Try and avoid those contracts for your better players and limit the use to backup/fringe players. - Basically players you wouldn’t be bothered about losing. 

Ask the board for a senior affiliate club so you can get a couple of better players in on zero contribution loans. 

There’s a lot of flexibility at this level and there’s many different ways to build a squad so its entirely up to you how you go about it. You’ll probably have a couple of years of pretty big overhauls (season 1 and 2) but as you start to move up the ladder, become a professional club etc the turnover in playing staff should become less. 

With regards to next season it depends on whether you’re going to be still playing at this level or you’ve been promoted. Ideally I would look to get a portfolio of players scouted to 100% knowledge for those positions I feel need strengthening. That way you’ll have multiple targets already at your finger tips for whatever scenario. Also don’t just dismiss those that aren’t currently interested because that could change if you move up a league. You can send your scouts on assignments and they will bring recommendations or you can go up the leagues and look for players that are possibly going to be released come the end of the season and get in there early. It can be time consuming but the results can be amazing. Get everything prepared and by May you should be able to start offering contracts without having to pay compensation. Timing can be key here as you might miss out if you leave it too late. 

So:

- This season trials, trials, trials

- Senior affiliate for two loans (due to league rules)

- Know your current squad and who you want to keep

- Start scouting potential targets now (positions of weakness/ lack of potential players)

- Get a portfolio of players by position at 100% scouting knowledge (players currently at others clubs so your scouts can watch them)

- Once you know their attributes compare them to your players/other targets and see who’s the best for the position and role you want them to play

- Search those players with contracts due to expire at end of the current season (Premier League, Championship etc youth squads)

Gunner, this is fantastic feedback, exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for, thank you!!

Gunner, thanks again for your feedback above. Quick question for you:

If I find players on other clubs who look like good fits for my team next season, should I try to sign them now for a contract beginning next season? Or just wait for their contracts to expire? Since this is non-league, most of the players are on one-year contracts.

10 hours ago, steve.battisti said:

Gunner, thanks again for your feedback above. Quick question for you:

If I find players on other clubs who look like good fits for my team next season, should I try to sign them now for a contract beginning next season? Or just wait for their contracts to expire? Since this is non-league, most of the players are on one-year contracts.

If you can get them then yes. Depends what point you’re at and whether there’s any sort of compensation to be paid. It should tell you once you enter the negotiations.