Winning home games, failing in away games who else....

Im a bit lost in this. Why is there such a huge difference in home and away games. Winning home games and failing away games all the time (in many of them im also the better team). And that by just using the same tactic but after that tried also other things. Im really asking myself, where to focus on in away games. What is it to change or not change to be more solid in those games, anyone? 

Is it only the mentality?
Is it lowering your DoF and LoE?
Is it the backs who are to attacking? If yes, why in home games its no issue mostly. 

Any help would be welcome. (see pic for tactic)

tacc.png

Edited by f.zaarour

50 minutes ago, f.zaarour said:

Is it the backs who are to attacking? If yes, why in home games its no issue mostly. 

Could be, it's a risky strategy, maybe at home teams don't attack you much but will away from home so they're taking advantage of them 

2 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

Im a bit lost in this. Why is there such a huge difference in home and away games. Winning home games and failing away games all the time (in many of them im also the better team). And that by just using the same tactic but after that tried also other things. Im really asking myself, where to focus on in away games. What is it to change or not change to be more solid in those games, anyone? 

tacc.png

Everything is about your reputation, form, the opponent manager's tactical style and match odds. If you are in a good form and the match odds favor you, AI usually take up a cautious stance. This is the time you need to take some risks when devising a tactical plan. However, if the opposite is true and you aren't heavy favorites for the match, chances are they can adopt a mid-press or high-press. So when creating your system take the potential openings your opposition is willing to give into account and put some attack duties ready to get behind a high defensive line.

Edited by frukox

Funnily enough, I'm experiencing the opposite in my Coruna save. Largely meeking out draws at the Riazor as the opposition are happy to set up very cautiously, where as our away form is much better with the opposition being more willing to try and play on the front foot when they're at home. 

9 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

Funnily enough, I'm experiencing the opposite in my Coruna save. Largely meeking out draws at the Riazor as the opposition are happy to set up very cautiously, where as our away form is much better with the opposition being more willing to try and play on the front foot when they're at home. 

Because they gift you space when they attack. When they defend you have to create it by yourself. That's the hard part:)

22 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

tacc.png

For a tough game I'd only change the left back to FBS or WBD; the left midfielder to a BBM or BWMS to control space better on that flank. 

Consider removing Shorter Passing and/or Play out of Defence-remember you will encounter mid or high blocks in those games as well as Distribute to CBS. Instead use flanks to play through the press more easily. Activate Counter and Regroup for a better transition from defence to attack and drop your LOE to Normal or Lower to create a standard mid-block. If your defenders are fast and mentally good don't forget to add Offside Trap to compress the space better in the middle.

Edited by frukox

Could also be that you're playing a top heavy formation. Tbh the 4231 Wide is actually quite an easy formation to exploit as there is space everywhere. In front of your defence and the gap between your flank players.

You could always play a 4411 away from home and be more compact and deny space.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:31, f.zaarour said:

Why is there such a huge difference in home and away games. Winning home games and failing away games all the time

Typically you can pin this down to being too aggressive. It works well when at home and teams are sitting back against you. They will not attack as much so you are less likely to get punished. Hence you win more, because you are tested less and attack well.

When playing away from home teams will be more likely to play more attacking against you, and if you are too aggressive they are then in a position to punish you and score goals. It really means you are gifting your opposition too much space, or too many good chances. 

Looking at your formation, a higher D line with two attacking full backs is an aggressive strategy. You will leave your defence horrible exposed here. This is one thing to potentially dial back, probably the left FB to something less adventurous (you already have an attack duty on that flank). 

Then you have to consider you are playing with a positive mentality. This ups the risk your players are willing to take, and increases their mentality. So you again leaving a lot of space to be exploited by playing an open game. You could simply dial this back to balanced, for example, and see what happens. 

Then the 4231 itself is a pretty top heavy formation, and with a high LOE and counter press it is an aggressive way to defend too. You will lack defensive shape at times. 

Another important thing to do is to see why you are losing these games. How are the opposition scoring? What are the patterns of play? Where are you losing the battles? That will tell you what really is the problem. I will not suggest wholesale changes, because you are winning at home so that is fine. You just need to work out how best to moderate the risks you take playing away.

Thanks for the tips guys, gonna be helpfull. Espec. taking note on the fact that opponents in away games being more attacking minded and with my tactic im giving to much space in my defensive shape. Cool, gonna check it out. Meanwhile i went back to 4123 which was more solid for, just need to check out some more away games. 

2 hours ago, Justified said:

Could also be that you're playing a top heavy formation. Tbh the 4231 Wide is actually quite an easy formation to exploit as there is space everywhere. In front of your defence and the gap between your flank players.

You could always play a 4411 away from home and be more compact and deny space.

I think there lays the problem for me ye, i also went back to the 4123 (included with your suggestions) and was winning immediatly (feel that formation suits me better and the playstyle i like to play somehow), just need to see it out in away games. But im getting a better vision on this matter, espec. for the away games. As im doing well in those games with the statistics but end losing them too much. But now comes the hard part is tweaking it hehe. And hope to be more successfull. 

Would you bring the 4123 to 4141 as you suggested for the 4231 to do? And next to that, where do i need to focus on to be more solid in those away games. Changing mentality to balanced or go for regroup instead of counter press?