Does changing mentality "count" as a new tactic?

What the title says; if I have a particular set of roles I think work, can I have that as one tactic and two different shapes/role setups as alternates or should I have the 1st tactic as base, 2nd tactic the same shape/roles with different mentality etc?

Just curious how the engine treats mentality changes; seems like it should be the first option (different mentalities with the same shape/roles/instructions should be the same tactic).

18 minutes ago, woolymuffler said:

What the title says; if I have a particular set of roles I think work, can I have that as one tactic and two different shapes/role setups as alternates or should I have the 1st tactic as base, 2nd tactic the same shape/roles with different mentality etc?

Just curious how the engine treats mentality changes; seems like it should be the first option (different mentalities with the same shape/roles/instructions should be the same tactic).

Not really sure about your specific question about how the game views such a thing, but I view it in taking a big picture read of what my base tactic and team dna is. Then my alternate tactics will be slight variations of that same shape and style, or a specific variant that lets me shift playstyle if my base tactic has a large weakness. 

Here's an example, my main is a 4231 with the number 10 being my main creative player, in a possession based style. But against teams with a good DM, he gets marked out and it doesn't work. So I have a 433 shape variant that moves the playmaker back to the cm strata and helps ensure he gets enough touches in game. 

Feel free to post your tactic and what you're after and folks here can help.

Edited by 04texag

Yeah, I was struggling to phrase the question clearly.

For example, when your Assistant recommends you play the next match with a defensive mentality, is it okay to just switch my primary tactic to defensive for the game or should I have an alternate tactic that is defensive by default? It seems like your (up to) 3 tactics should be different formations or role setups rather than just mentality variations of the same formation/roles. Just wondering if that assumption is correct.

27 minutes ago, woolymuffler said:

Just curious how the engine treats mentality changes

I didn't quite understand the first part of your post, so I'll focus solely on this one.

Team mentality affects everything else - from team instructions to individual player mentalities. So when you change a mentality, you have automatically changed/adjusted all other team instructions (even when some of these changes may not be readily visible in the tactical creator screen).

But the mentality does not define your style of play. Neither a lower mentality makes you more defensively solid per se, nor a higher one automatically makes you more "dangerous" in attack.

Thanks; I'm still struggling to express clearly what I mean (probably because it's such a basic question).

Really it boils down to: you have up to 3 tactics; if I want to use different mentalities in match (and have my team do well with those mentalities) should I have the different team mentalities as separate tactics? Or can I have a primary tactic that defaults to say balanced and use different mentalities with that tactic without having it be one of my secondary tactics with that alternate mentality?

Edit: and by "do well", I mean just be somewhat competent and maintain their tactical familiarity with the alternate mentality, not that the tactic will necessarily work just as well with every mentality.

Edited by woolymuffler