Jump to content

FM21 xbox - how good is it?


Recommended Posts

Is this the worst management game ever?

I have been playing champ manager and football manager since the amiga and without shadow of a doubt this is the worst ever one. 

It might even be the worst football management game I have ever played on any format and I started playing manager games on the spectrum? 

Anyone else have these thoughts? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's loads of things 

The user interface is terrible 

Can't figure out how to do most things even with the tutorial like promote players to my first team

It won't let me place an ad for staff though that might be due to the transfer window not being open even though thats not how it works 

You can't filter by attributes 

The game is far too stripped back

The graphics are poor and I'm playing on series x

My first game said I would score 1. 2 goals and they would 0.9 the game ended 6-6 

I also can't get it to work on my laptop I keep getting an error saying 88500000 error but that's probably because my computer is 4 years old 

I would have just bought it for the pc if I thought it would be this bad 

Though I didn't because my pc is probably to outdated 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Sandy Prso said:

Is this the worst management game ever?

I have been playing champ manager and football manager since the amiga and without shadow of a doubt this is the worst ever one. 

It might even be the worst football management game I have ever played on any format and I started playing manager games on the spectrum? 

Anyone else have these thoughts? 

 

 

Yes i agree 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sandy Prso said:

There's loads of things 

The user interface is terrible 

Can't figure out how to do most things even with the tutorial like promote players to my first team

It won't let me place an ad for staff though that might be due to the transfer window not being open even though thats not how it works 

You can't filter by attributes 

The game is far too stripped back

The graphics are poor and I'm playing on series x

My first game said I would score 1. 2 goals and they would 0.9 the game ended 6-6 

I also can't get it to work on my laptop I keep getting an error saying 88500000 error but that's probably because my computer is 4 years old 

I would have just bought it for the pc if I thought it would be this bad 

Though I didn't because my pc is probably to outdated 

 

Why don't you just refund it then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sandy Prso said:

There's loads of things 

The user interface is terrible 

Can't figure out how to do most things even with the tutorial like promote players to my first team

It won't let me place an ad for staff though that might be due to the transfer window not being open even though thats not how it works 

You can't filter by attributes 

The game is far too stripped back

The graphics are poor and I'm playing on series x

My first game said I would score 1. 2 goals and they would 0.9 the game ended 6-6 

I also can't get it to work on my laptop I keep getting an error saying 88500000 error but that's probably because my computer is 4 years old 

I would have just bought it for the pc if I thought it would be this bad 

Though I didn't because my pc is probably to outdated 

 

The UI is very easy to follow. LT and RT gets the menus up. Use the mouse cursor to move around the screen. 

Promoting players is literally 2 buttons.

The game is based on the touch version, they stated that many times. That's why its basic. 

The 3D graphics are the same as the full PC version. It's just how its looked for years 

One game of high goals isn't enough to get a valid opinion.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this version of Football manager. The pc version is waaaay to complicated for me. I just want to buy good players, put on a tactic, and i dont want to be bothered with pre-match talks etc. I dont have problems with using the controller, im used to it after 2 hours playing this football manager.

The people who are complaining about this version how "simple" it is, should  stick to the pc version

Edited by Dinjooo
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, unshavenm0nkey said:

Not the worst ever, just very simple compared to pc versions.

 

 

Care to explain in what manner the game is much simpler?

I would say the most complex part of the game, the match engine, is identical. 

Choosing what to say to your player from a list of genetated responses, is hardly complex. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, unshavenm0nkey said:

Not the worst ever, just very simple compared to pc versions.

What we're aiming for with FMT isn't 'simple' its streamlined - the game should still be challenging and realistic, however we've tried to remove some of the aspects of the main game which slow it down and might be frustrating for users (because the effects from them aren't always obviously) - so Press Conferences, Team Talks etc. are absent ... this doesn't remove the challenge of building a team and setting up your tactics to be successful imho.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, unshavenm0nkey said:

Not the worst ever, just very simple compared to pc versions.

 

 

Touch is also a PC version, is Touch Xbox version a poor version of Touch PC version?

Streamlined doesn't mean simple, it just means it is quicker to play with less clicking in between the important stuff, press conferences, team talks etc with multiple choice questions are not fun for everyone, yes that stuff happens in real life but for me it doesn't really work in a game.

Edited by Maw74
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

What we're aiming for with FMT isn't 'simple' its streamlined - the game should still be challenging and realistic, however we've tried to remove some of the aspects of the main game which slow it down and might be frustrating for users (because the effects from them aren't always obviously) - so Press Conferences, Team Talks etc. are absent ... this doesn't remove the challenge of building a team and setting up your tactics to be successful imho.

:applause:

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/12/2020 at 21:45, Sandy Prso said:

Is this the worst management game ever?

I have been playing champ manager and football manager since the amiga and without shadow of a doubt this is the worst ever one. 

It might even be the worst football management game I have ever played on any format and I started playing manager games on the spectrum? 

Anyone else have these thoughts? 

 

 

Seriously? I got used to the interface in about an hour, and it is not a breeze to get around. The match engine is poor? It's pretty much the same as the pc version, so do not know what you are talking about there.

If you think this is the worst manager game ever, then you have clearly not played many management games.

 

I am loving it at the moment, and they have done a great job with this version. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Maw74 said:

Touch is also a PC version, is Touch Xbox version a poor version of Touch PC version?

The Xbox game is literally FM Touch on PC with a new interface for the consoles in order to make it more usable with a controller. On the new Xbox consoles its actually far faster to play than on a PC which is kinda awesome :D

We appreciate all constructive feedback on the game (both positive and negative) as it helps guide us towards ensuring that the next version will be even better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sandy Prso said:

The other thing that really put me off it was my first game was 6-6 and predicted goals were 1.3 and 0.9

think it was slightly out

The xG is identical to that generated in the PC game, it is being tuned for future updates, that being said sometimes you will get a crazy game where everything just goes in ... at other times you might have a game where both teams pepper the goals with shots and it ends up 0-0 ....

All I can say is that football is a crazy game ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

The Xbox game is literally FM Touch on PC with a new interface for the consoles in order to make it more usable with a controller. On the new Xbox consoles its actually far faster to play than on a PC which is kinda awesome :D

We appreciate all constructive feedback on the game (both positive and negative) as it helps guide us towards ensuring that the next version will be even better.

So I guess it is more a controller issue here.

Clearly not worst football management game ever, not even close, I have played a lot through the years.😁

Touch gets a lot of negativity, it is great takes out the bits I don't like and as I only play it on PC I can have as many leagues loaded as I like.

 

 

Edited by Maw74
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played various football manager games. This is the only one that deserves the name. Even the FMT version that is not as in depth is amazing. 

One thing I can grant you as a beginner it is not that easy to learn because you don't get the strength indicator 86 for Thomas Mueller, for example. You actually have to learn to play it. But it is realistic as much as it is reportedly used by actual managers. 

So worst game - based on my own experience definitely not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 06/12/2020 at 00:58, jay-morris said:

Seriously? I got used to the interface in about an hour, and it is not a breeze to get around. The match engine is poor? It's pretty much the same as the pc version, so do not know what you are talking about there.

If you think this is the worst manager game ever, then you have clearly not played many management games.

 

I am loving it at the moment, and they have done a great job with this version. 

 

They done a poor job with this version ,i wont say anything more because only good reviews are allowed 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bielsa1975 said:

They done a poor job with this version ,i wont say anything more because only good reviews are allowed 😁

I'm very happy to hear feedback both positive and negative - however it is helpful (where practical) if people can give feedback constructively ... ie. rather than 'a poor job' if you can expand on that to indicate something we can use to help us improve the game in future, ie. based on some other feedback I've had on the xbox version it might be - "It wasn't intuitive to me that I had to use the left trigger button to bring up the main game menu." etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember playing CM on the original xbox back in 2002 or something. After that I promised myself I would never, ever, EVER play footie management games on a console again. These games need a mouse / trackpad and a keyboard. 

Good luck tho. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Footix said:

I remember playing CM on the original xbox back in 2002 or something. After that I promised myself I would never, ever, EVER play footie management games on a console again. These games need a mouse / trackpad and a keyboard. 

Good luck tho. 

Touchscreen is better than mouse and keyboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, gazza8 said:

Like every year its scripted to be easy. FF is the benchmark, touch is a simplified way easier version and handheld is so easy it's not even a challenge...regular posts about guys scoring 1000 goals etc 

The game isn't scripted and Touch uses the same match engine as full FM. 

If you have evidence backing your statement please raise it, but we tend to take a hard line against misinformation being spread on these forums, so please bear that in mind when posting in the future. Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/12/2020 at 09:23, Bielsa1975 said:

They done a poor job with this version ,i wont say anything more because only good reviews are allowed 😁

Can you explain how they done a poor job? If you want to be taken seriously, tell us why they have done a bad job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cannot understand the criticism the control layout is getting. It took me little to no time to get used to it, same with the cruser. Now, I have no problems at all with it.

 

Maybe stick to the touch or the pc version if you cannot get used to the keypad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased to hear you like it @jay-morris.

It's certainly not perfect yet and we're very aware of that and striving to make improvements as soon as possible, so we appreciate any constructive feedback, however negative. Making such a menu and text heavy game that's traditionally always been designed for mouse and keyboard controller-friendly has been a big challenge!

On 07/12/2020 at 16:53, Footix said:

I remember playing CM on the original xbox back in 2002 or something. After that I promised myself I would never, ever, EVER play footie management games on a console again. These games need a mouse / trackpad and a keyboard. 

Our end goal is to get to a point where even traditional PC players prefer using a controller. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't bought FM in a few years but thought I'd give the XBox version a try because it was something new. It has a very basic but very annoying game wrecking bug where the game can't generate fixture lists properly unless the leagues are licensed like Germany, France and Scotland. If you take over an English club, you will play certain clubs away twice and other clubs at home twice. Ruins the integrity of the game meaning there is just no point. And that's on day 1 of your new career, there is no way to get around it. Very disappointing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jimmy_Gomis said:

I haven't bought FM in a few years but thought I'd give the XBox version a try because it was something new. It has a very basic but very annoying game wrecking bug where the game can't generate fixture lists properly unless the leagues are licensed like Germany, France and Scotland. If you take over an English club, you will play certain clubs away twice and other clubs at home twice. Ruins the integrity of the game meaning there is just no point. And that's on day 1 of your new career, there is no way to get around it. Very disappointing.

I've asked QA to look into this - not something I've heard about happening before (and hasn't happened in any game I've played) ... can you give any more details about your system and which team/setup you're using?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been a Touch player since 2014 as I liked being able to take my saves to my Vita.

Cursor speed is my main gripe with this version, have posted as number of bugs but nothing game breaking. As with every years FM, once the initial bugs are ironed out it will be a great game. Could do with some optimisation as it can be a bit sluggish navigating and inputting text (this seems to be a thing common to most Xbox games, the on screen keyboard can be rather slow in all games and dashboard pages).

My health has stopped me from sitting at my PC for more than 30mins at a time so my only way of playing FM for the last two years has been via Steam Link with the Steam Controller so I'm not fussed by the controller use other than the previously mentioned cursor speed. If I can get the Steam Controller to work with my Xbox via Cronusmax then things will be great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/12/2020 at 22:00, Sandy Prso said:

There's loads of things 

The user interface is terrible 

Can't figure out how to do most things even with the tutorial like promote players to my first team

It won't let me place an ad for staff though that might be due to the transfer window not being open even though thats not how it works 

You can't filter by attributes 

The game is far too stripped back

The graphics are poor and I'm playing on series x

My first game said I would score 1. 2 goals and they would 0.9 the game ended 6-6 

I also can't get it to work on my laptop I keep getting an error saying 88500000 error but that's probably because my computer is 4 years old 

I would have just bought it for the pc if I thought it would be this bad 

Though I didn't because my pc is probably to outdated 

 

.UI isn't much different to PC, just needs a tweak with zoom settings but that's a bug it seems

.Start button is equivalent to right click, that has the menus for moving players between squads and loads of other stuff throughout the game

.Need to have an empty staff slot to place an advert iirc

. Certainly can search by attributes, it's in the filter menu along with all the other expected search items like nationality, contract, etc

.I'm on One X and though match graphics were rough, goalposts and pitch markings were very jaggy and not displaying well, after messing with settings in Draft mode you can improve graphics just like on PC

.I have found xG to be pretty reliable

.I have a feeling the error you are getting is related to Denuvo DRM, plenty of reports on Reddit about other games via Microsoft Store and Gamepass PC with the same error code 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/12/2020 at 20:04, Alex Pitt said:

 

striving to make improvements as soon as possible,

As long you guys dont make it to complicated - like team talks, players talks, to complicated tactics, im happy haha. I love this "basic" game of Football manager. Pc version is not my thing. To much to do. People are whining about this version, should stick to the pc version, if they want to play with keybord/mouse, if they want player/team talks, press conferences. I dont need that haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dinjooo said:

As long you guys dont make it to complicated - like team talks, players talks, to complicated tactics, im happy haha. I love this "basic" game of Football manager. Pc version is not my thing. To much to do. People are whining about this version, should stick to the pc version, if they want to play with keybord/mouse, if they want player/team talks, press conferences. I dont need that haha

I agree with you. If only SI just adds an editor to FMT.

Edited by grade
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having played Football Manager games since way back in the days of Championship Manager 2, I must say I'm enjoying FM21 Xbox Edition. Sure, it's a learning curve using a controller instead of a mouse but, once past the initial culture shock, it's pretty simple to use.

Had never played FMT before so was a little surprise to see a lack of team talks, but that's considerably negated by touchline shouts being readily available and ultimately serving the same purpose. Can't say I miss press conferences too much and all the tactical goodness is still there. Plus online play, which I'm very much looking forward to giving a shot.

There's a fair few bugs and glitches obviously, but that's been the case with newly released games for years now. Give it a few updates and these will be smoothed out and all will be well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 05/12/2020 at 17:19, Marc Vaughan said:

What we're aiming for with FMT isn't 'simple' its streamlined - the game should still be challenging and realistic, however we've tried to remove some of the aspects of the main game which slow it down and might be frustrating for users (because the effects from them aren't always obviously) - so Press Conferences, Team Talks etc. are absent ... this doesn't remove the challenge of building a team and setting up your tactics to be successful imho.

Yes streamlined is a better way of putting it.  But it is noticeable in game, not in a bad way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought it on the Xbox yesterday. It's going to take a while to get used to the controls, but as it can be synced between Xbox and PC, I'll probably use the laptop for pre-season and transfer windows, and fly through the season on the more powerful Xbox. Lovely stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/12/2020 at 21:45, Sandy Prso said:

Is this the worst management game ever?

I have been playing champ manager and football manager since the amiga and without shadow of a doubt this is the worst ever one. 

It might even be the worst football management game I have ever played on any format and I started playing manager games on the spectrum? 

Anyone else have these thoughts? 

 

 

Had you not ventured into FM Touch in all that time? It's literally the same game, just on Xbox. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The only thing that stops me playing touch is the lack of coaching staff. 

How do you judge how good your coaching staff is? Is it based on your assistant manager? Facilities, what? 

If i could get an answer to confirm this id probably only play touch, and id probably buy an xbox as i only have a laptop for fm which is 5 years old and sluggish. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I played lots of different sports manager games over the years going back as far as football director and Jimmy’s soccer manager on the zx spectrum and really enjoyed them. I used to love the old Champ Manager games but have haven’t played one in about 10 years so this is a new experience for me, it took a little bit of getting used to and took some time for me to find some things; such as how to offer players out on loan etc. but I’m getting there and am enjoying learning my way around the game. On the pitch I’m having a ball and my Spennymoor are 10 pts clear at the top of the VNL in our first season and are in the semi-finals of th3 FA Trophy. What I really can’t get my head round though, is how on earth is this all free on Gamepass??? Amazing, thanks SI, keep up the great work!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Neil Brock changed the title to FM21 xbox - how good is it?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/03/2021 at 16:07, Pete Akiens said:

I played lots of different sports manager games over the years going back as far as football director and Jimmy’s soccer manager on the zx spectrum and really enjoyed them. I used to love the old Champ Manager games but have haven’t played one in about 10 years so this is a new experience for me, it took a little bit of getting used to and took some time for me to find some things; such as how to offer players out on loan etc. but I’m getting there and am enjoying learning my way around the game. On the pitch I’m having a ball and my Spennymoor are 10 pts clear at the top of the VNL in our first season and are in the semi-finals of th3 FA Trophy. What I really can’t get my head round though, is how on earth is this all free on Gamepass??? Amazing, thanks SI, keep up the great work!

Just a humble developer - I've no idea how it being on Gamepass is feasible ... enjoy it while you can I say :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2021 at 19:46, Sandy Prso said:

Got a new laptop

back to playing the real version

Happy Days :hammer:

So after multiple posts, some from the devs themselves, telling you that the game is IDENTICAL to the PC version of FM Touch in all but layout, you posted this..?! lol

What you should have said is "I dont like the console UI" (I'm not a major fan myself, stick navigation is just too sensitive!), or "I prefer the full FM version experience over Touch", instead of making yourself look like a rude moron.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking forward to the launch of FM for Xbox, but a little frustrating, the Xbox is a very powerful device, I don't understand the difficulty of being able to mark more than 5 leagues as playable, ok it's an FM Touch, something to be faster , but how is it not possible to open an exception in Xbox Version?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...